Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it wrong to oppose mass immigration?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

VeryOwl wrote: »
    How do you define 'enough'? Why is 503 million 'enough'? Enough for what? What metric are you using?

Common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Overpopulation should not be encouraged. We need less people in the world and less mass immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Overpopulation should not be encouraged. We need less people in the world and less mass immigration.

Can you give any evidence that links international population growth and immigration mass or other wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

woodoo wrote: »
    Common sense.

It would be nice if you defined clearly your position.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88111847&postcount=527

Can you give any evidence that links international population growth and immigration mass or other wise.

Im not gonna look this up for you,look it up for yourself,africas fertility rate and the middle eastern fertility rate is a lot higher than ours,in the M.E its something like on average 8 per family,you can look up how their birth rates are higher.

Africas popluation is set to grow by about 2.4 billion people,thats a large chunk of the world population,not to mention we have mass immigration of these people with naturally higher fertility rates.

What do you think will happen next - a population explosion in our country if they are all let in and who knows how many flout the laws there is no enforcement here anyway..

Governments want to import more consumers,and packs as many people as they can into one square foot.

Our government in ireland is set to build 25,000 houses a year to deal with a ''shortage''. The problem is not that there is a housing shortage the problem is we have too many damn people on the planet.

Thats what we should be dealing with,just the other day i saw on bbc news the ocean is set to rise another bit before the new year.

• Advertisement

Im not gonna look this up for you,look it up for yourself,africas fertility rate and the middle eastern fertility rate is a lot higher than ours,in the M.E its something like on average 8 per family,you can look up how their birth rates are higher.

Africas popluation is set to grow by about 2.4 billion people,thats a large chunk of the world population,not to mention we have mass immigration of these people with naturally higher fertility rates.

What do you think will happen next - a population explosion in our country if they are all let in and who knows how many flout the laws there is no enforcement here anyway..

Governments want to import more consumers,and packs as many people as they can into one square foot.

Our government in ireland is set to build 25,000 houses a year to deal with a ''shortage''. The problem is not that there is a housing shortage the problem is we have too many damn people on the planet.

Thats what we should be dealing with,just the other day i saw on bbc news the ocean is set to rise another bit before the new year.

Ireland does not have "mass immigration" from Africa or the Middle East.

Yes I know the population increases in the world, as I have said that is a different debate to mass migration can you clearly define mass migration, can you show how the migration to North America and Europe is being created by population growth. Can you give the figures to back up your claim, at its most basic figures of population increase should in some way equate with migration from such countries. Can you simply show why you are going on about the sea rising and population growth in a thread about immigration. Because at this stage I for one don't think you have a idea of what your going on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Well, as a matter of urgency then, you should make sure your auntie is deported from England ASAP. After all, the UK has a population density four times higher than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...in the M.E its something like on average 8 per family...
    The fertility rate in the Arab world (Middle East and North Africa) is about 2.7 – you’re only off by a factor of 3.
    Africas popluation is set to grow by about 2.4 billion people...
    You keep saying that, but have produced absolutely no evidence in support of it.
    ...not to mention we have mass immigration of these people with naturally higher fertility rates.
    I have no idea what you mean by “naturally high fertility rates”, but anyway, Africans are not migrating en masse to Ireland.
    What do you think will happen next - a population explosion in our country if they are all let in...
    Africans are not migrating en masse to Ireland.
    ...and who knows how many flout the laws...
    Not very many?
    Well the Irish government failing pretty miserably on that front, aren’t they?
    The problem is not that there is a housing shortage the problem is we have too many damn people on the planet.
    What do you consider the optimal population level to be? How many people to we need to get rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There was a very interesting programme on the BBC a while back about the question of the world's population and the misconceptions about population growth in the developing word which you can watch here ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x175qup_bbc-this-world-don-t-panic-the-truth-about-population-h264-1280x720-aac-rmac_news

• Advertisement

There was a very interesting programme on the BBC a while back about the question of the world's population and the misconceptions about population growth in the developing word which you can watch here ...

The bbc are biased broadcasting they do a lot to make sure they offend nobody and often that means they stand for nothing.

So by the bbc standards an increase of 10 billion on this planet should be fine(no problem) and sustatinable?

Well if the bbc are saying it i must believe it :rolleyes:

You keep saying that, but have produced absolutely no evidence in support of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/10305000/Africas-population-to-double-to-2.4-billion-by-2050.html

Ist that evidence enough for you to confirm africas population is set to grow by 2.4 billion?

If you are still dissatisfied there is nothing much i can do about it as its probably down to your pro immigration pro overpopulation bias.

Also the average family in niger,mali,somalia is the highest on a list i looked up..

http://mecometer.com/topic/total-fertility-rate/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/10305000/Africas-population-to-double-to-2.4-billion-by-2050.html

Ist that evidence enough for you to confirm africas population is set to grow by 2.4 billion?
    The article does not say that, even its headline states "Africa's population to double to 2.4 billion by 2050" (my emphasis).

Well its goin to increase by 2.4 billion so same result.

... as its probably down to your pro immigration pro overpopulation bias.

So what are you going to do about your immigrant auntie in over-populated London then - surely you need to get your own house in order first?

Ehh, no.

Maths isn't a strong point with you, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's not the same thing. Also, had you read the article you would have seen this:
    The baby boom means that its current population of 1.1 billion will increase to at least 2.4 billion by the middle of the century, according to the study from the respected organisation.

So what are you going to do about your immigrant auntie in over-populated London then - surely you need to get your own house in order first?
    Why do you feel the need to bring my aunt into this??Desperately clinging to something maybe ?? If for arguments sake it would solve the overpoplulation problem - well then so be it..

Why do you feel the need to bring my aunt into this??Desperately clinging to something maybe ?? If for arguments sake it would solve the overpoplulation problem - well then so be it..

So... when does she leave? Because I'm sensing some strong 'pro-immigration, pro-over-population bias' from you, when it comes to her circumstance.

She tuk der jobs!

So by the bbc standards an increase of 10 billion on this planet should be fine(no problem) and sustatinable?

Well if the bbc are saying it i must believe it
    Or maybe, you could consider the arguments made in the programme and see whether they stack up, rather than simply dismissing the conclusion out of hand.

If you are still dissatisfied there is nothing much i can do about it as its probably down to your pro immigration pro overpopulation bias.
    Yes, I'm the one so blinded by bias that I'm misreading headlines such that they fit with my preconceptions.
    Also the average family in niger,mali,somalia is the highest on a list i looked up..

http://mecometer.com/topic/total-fertility-rate/
    Great - what's your point? And what the hell does this have to do with migration to Ireland?!?

Great - what's your point? And what the hell does this have to do with migration to Ireland?!?

It has a lot to do with mass immigration in general into europe,which eventually trecles its way to ireland.

Ever seen a somalian or a black man in ireland with a heavy african accent and wonder how on earth did they get there?

These countries have higher fertility rates and will affect our population and our ablility for our public services to deal with a swell in the population which make no doubt about it will eventually happen.
    Or maybe, you could consider the arguments made in the programme and see whether they stack up, rather than simply dismissing the conclusion out of hand.

I watched it and it doesnt stack up like you say,im not dismissing it out of hand,the facts are the population will increase to about 10 billion in a short space of time within our lifetime we will see it.Anybody who says its not a problem is heavily biased or seriously deluded.

Overpopulation is a huge problem for the enviornment our only true wealth forget paper money here for a minute and short term gains,and think about the ozone layer,greenhouse gasses and the melting ice caps,and floods its all ahead of us if we dont do something about it now.

• Advertisement

Ever seen a somalian or a black man in ireland with a heavy african accent and wonder how on earth did they get there?
    Not really, no.

You have? Because it's not much of a mystery - it's likely they caught a plane.
    These countries have higher fertility rates and will affect our population and our ablility for our public services to deal with a swell in the population which make no doubt about it will eventually happen.
    When will it happen? Ireland has received far larger numbers of immigrants from Africa in the past than it does at present, but no sign of your population explosion yet, is there?
    I watched it and it doesnt stack up like you say...
    Don't put words in my mouth - I didn't offer any opinion on the program. I haven't watched it.

Specifically, what arguments within the program don't stack up?
    Overpopulation is a huge problem for the enviornment...
    I've already asked you how many people we need to get rid of and you haven't answered?

I've already asked you how many people we need to get rid of and you haven't answered?

Im not saying get rid of them im simply saying there should be no outside foreign charities propping them up on life support,as david attenborough said humans are the biggest scourge on this earth,a pest,and it is barmy to feed the africans(or anyone else for that matter) with bags of flour.

This is why there is such a population explosion,we are feeding those with notoriously high fertility rates,and then they in turn have high fertility rates - its a situation spawning out of control.

What happens when we reach 10 billion people,some mouths will go hungry,and do you think its a favourable sitation for the enviornment,expect more unpredicatable weather to be showcased if we keep continuing to grow our world populations.

We cannot give aid to everyone yet we keep saying to ourselves and our governments do that we need to grow - they are not looking at this in terms of the impact this will have on the enviornment.

Taxing for co2 levels doesn't make the problem go away - the governments answer to everything is to tax it,but not to look at the root problem - too many people have cars..

It has a lot to do with mass immigration in general into europe,which eventually trecles its way to ireland.

Mass immigration from where specifically into where in Europe, specifically? And please provide sources.

Im not saying get rid of them im simply saying there should be no outside foreign charities propping them up on life support...
    Well, yes you are saying “get rid of them”. You’re saying that people in the developing world who are in need of assistance should be left to die. Are you not?

Actually, no. You keep making specific reference to Africa. You want to see all efforts at development in Africa halted immediately, because apparently they’re too fertile and we need to let some of them die off. Right?
    ...as david attenborough said humans are the biggest scourge on this earth,a pest,and it is barmy to feed the africans(or anyone else for that matter) with bags of flour.
    First of all, he referred specifically to Ethiopia, not Africa. Secondly, I don’t think he’s suggesting that people be allowed to starve. What I believe he is suggesting is that food aid does not tackle the underlying causes of the problem, but nobody has suggested that it does.

But anyway, he also said this:
    “To have a European telling Africans that they shan’t have children is not the way to go about things.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10313081/Sir-David-Attenborough-I-am-the-luckiest-soul-I-can-think-of.html

Also, a few posts ago you told us the BBC is not to be trusted. Doesn’t David Attenborough work for the BBC?
    This is why there is such a population explosion,we are feeding those with notoriously high fertility rates,and then they in turn have high fertility rates - its a situation spawning out of control.
    If that is true, then why has the average fertility rate in Ethiopia (for example) fallen dramatically in the last 15 years, from about 6.8 to 4.0?
    What happens when we reach 10 billion people,some mouths will go hungry...
    That all comes down to politics – there’s plenty of food to go ‘round and we’re constantly finding the means to produce more. Not only that, but, here in the West, we throw away about a third of the food we buy – that’s a hell of a lot of waste.

So you think a population of ten billion is absolutely fine no problems then?

Well, yes you are saying “get rid of them”. You’re saying that people in the developing world who are in need of assistance should be left to die. Are you not?

Actually, no. You keep making specific reference to Africa. You want to see all efforts at development in Africa halted immediately, because apparently they’re too fertile and we need to let some of them die off. Right?

I dont want to see any more population growth being encouraged,if food aid is available the mindset of the people recieving food aid is okay fine lets have 7 children etc..

As long as they know the safety net of food for nothing is there they will continue to produce children and do nothing else.

And Its just not acceptable in an enviornment thats been ravaged and pilfered and tested to its limit what with a widening ozone layer and greenhouse gasses.

If that is true, then why has the average fertility rate in Ethiopia (for example) fallen dramatically in the last 15 years, from about 6.8 to 4.0?

Niger,mali and somalia is 7.0 thanks to foreign medicine and aid..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

That would give the Earth a population density of around 67 people per kilometer squared of land, which is about the same density as Ireland. I don't see any serious population related problems in Ireland at the moment, so I wouldn't mind a global population of 10 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I dont want to see any more population growth being encouraged,if food aid is available the mindset of the people recieving food aid is okay fine lets have 7 children etc..

As long as they know the safety net of food for nothing is there they will continue to produce children and do nothing else.

That is a very broad statement. People have children, as it's the natural order of things. The number depends on many factors, the mortality rates in the region, tradition, religion, education or lack of, cultural factors........ Not just food.

• Advertisement

It's very easy to set up a thread, please do so and stop hijacking this one. If you want to discuss the issues of population growth and aid, (which may be an interesting subject) please set up a thread on that.

Advertisement