Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

A few choice highlights from Mr. Stubbingwicke...
    1987 - Took time off to live with the Komodo dragons of Indonesia, gaining their trust and learning their ways. Fascinating predators, Komodo dragons.
    1989 - Served as tracker for Chinese scientific expedition studying snow leopards in Tibet. Had chance encounter with what I now believe to have been a yeti.
    1997 - Tracked and recovered orang-utan that was terrorising the streets of Paris. Returned it safely to Ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes whence it escaped.
    1999 - Trained computer-programmer survivalists in the ways of the hunt. Those pallid **** would've been doomed had the Y2K disaster come to pass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

10408904_664674793619383_5286359651233110389_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

uRlmFrT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

312374.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_n7tb9sfuqc1qgyp1no1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n7t9elDMma1smpm6vo1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

10492381_10152110751305974_385777950944830015_n.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

312439.jpg

^ Please explain!

^^ It's a cartoon from the New Yorker.

Their best ones riff upon the topic of middle-aged inadequacy, the loss of the joy, carelessness and opportunity of youth, damaged and broken relationships. Tired cynicism. And lots of meta.

http://www.condenaststore.com/~/cartoon-bank

312473.jpg

312475.jpg

312500.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

094-Eat-a-snickers.jpg

robindch wrote: »

Their best ones riff upon the topic of middle-aged inadequacy, the loss of the joy, carelessness and opportunity of youth, damaged and broken relationships. Tired cynicism. And lots of meta.

312473.jpg

312475.jpg

Anything to do with Religion?

312534.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So the bible is 50 Shades of Grey from a couple of millennia ago:

h997558AC

Disclaimer: I have not read either of these books.

nGVmBX7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Kivaro wrote: »
    So the bible is 50 Shades of Grey from a couple of millennia ago:

h997558AC

Disclaimer: I have not read either of these books.

That would have been Egyptian lovers, if I remember correctly. One would wonder if this had an unintended side effect....

312652.jpg

312473.jpg

312475.jpg

312764.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

6Z5NYT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Turtwig wrote: »
    tumblr_l7oj31S2Uc1qdoghio1_500.png

what happens if I do it this way? :pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    what happens if I do it this way? :pac:
    Trolly Trollerton will be paddled.

@robindch How is your Page 107 New Yorker cartoon post relevant to this thread? Buttonftw and I asked already but you didn’t reply.

@Turtwig I've seen loads of posts quoting pictures on the thread but you single out mine?

312835.jpg

Worztron wrote: »
    @robindch How is your Page 107 New Yorker cartoon post relevant to this thread? Buttonftw and I asked already but you didn’t reply.
    If you've a problem with a particular post, then I suggest you report it by clicking on the little warning triangle in the panel to the left of the post.

FYI, while they're superficially just cartoons that were posted because they're, well, funny, the first one could be a sotte voce riff on the interest that most A+A posters have towards people who do the religious door-to-door thing by phone. In turn, the second cartoon could a witty reminder that while thankfulness expressed is a welcome thing, not all phenotypical inheritance -- evolution is a common theme here in A+A -- is good. There's obviously more to them both than just their superficial second readings, but I hope this little introduction to them both can pique your interest in the New Yorker - a magazine and a concomitant worldview that most posters here on A+A are likely to enjoy.

Let the forum know if you'd like the gags explained in any more detail - I'm sure somebody else would be happy to help out.

If you've a problem with a particular post, then I suggest you report it by clicking on the little warning triangle in the panel to the left of the post.

FYI, while they're superficially just cartoons that were posted because they're, well, funny, the first one could be a sotte voce riff on the interest that most A+A posters have towards people who do the religious door-to-door thing by phone. In turn, the second cartoon could a witty reminder that while thankfulness expressed is a welcome thing, not all phenotypical inheritance -- evolution is a common theme here in A+A -- is good. There's obviously more to them both than just their superficial second readings, but I hope this little introduction to them both can pique your interest in the New Yorker - a magazine and a concomitant worldview that most posters here on A+A are likely to enjoy.

Let the forum know if you'd like the gags explained in any more detail - I'm sure somebody else would be happy to help out.

There's no need to be presumptuous and patronising.

312902.gif

Worztron wrote: »
    There's no need to be presumptuous and patronising.
    He who lives by the sword... ;)

• Advertisement

NrxigDC.jpg

Advertisement