Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

5glZUrd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

robindch wrote: »
    For anybody in the Tralee area tomorrow between ten and six, you might want to consider dropping into the Mercy Convent at Balloonagh whose contents, together with the contents of similar convents at Rosscarbery and Kanturk, are on view in 530 lots, pursuant to an auction starting on Saturday morning at 10:30.

The convent at Balloonagh was opened in 1858 and while an article in July confirmed at the time that there were no plans to do anything with the convent, it seems that the departure of the last sixteen nuns around six weeks ago seems to have concentrated minds quite noticeably on the topic of religious asset-stripping.

In any case, amongst the hundreds of items of religious statuary and mid-to-low income communal living, comes Lot 087, labelled "A good large religious group, 'St John the Baptist baptising Our Lord'" - five feet high and three wide, and possibly the most splendidly homoerotic sculpture ever to grace the halls of a Mercy Convent:

368385.jpg

Jesus cursed Judas for nominating him for the Ice bucket challenge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ok, a few months late, but here's a story about a town which suffered a spate of religiously-related burglaries. So a local group contacted the church who rented a helicopter for a while and sent one of its own lads up with cross and some holy water:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/help-from-above-priest-in-a-helicopter-exorcises-italian-town-57456/

The article doesn't say whether the demonic infestation went away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Spanish demonologist and exorcist Father José Antonio Fortea
    I'd love to have that on my CV.
    Demonologist Extraordinaire. Could probably get the qualification somewhere on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

368713.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

recedite wrote: »
    I'd love to have that on my CV.
    Demonologist Extraordinaire. Could probably get the qualification somewhere on the internet.
    It's cute that you think a qualification in demonology requires more than a printer and some ink ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wonder why he thought he needed a helicopter? I realise that walking the streets would not be nearly as interesting but would have worked just as well. I can confirm that for sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

LBbrRWk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

looksee wrote: »
    I wonder why he thought he needed a helicopter? I realise that walking the streets would not be nearly as interesting but would have worked just as well. I can confirm that for sure.

...how many chances in life do you get to fly in with the sun behind you, blaring out "ride of the valkyrie " and firing your holy water at anything that moves?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SATAN DON'T SURF

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Only here can this be posted. http://deadstate.org/christian-pastor-slams-paris-victims-if-you-attend-a-death-metal-concert-you-deserve-to-get-killed/

If you decide to take this seriously you might want to blow your own brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

SATAN DON'T SURF

A very rare b-side to Papa don't Preach perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Only here can this be posted. http://deadstate.org/christian-pastor-slams-paris-victims-if-you-attend-a-death-metal-concert-you-deserve-to-get-killed/

I'd say that is more a hazard of belief than funny :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

AstraMonti wrote: »

That is the stupidest thing i have ever read, can't facepalm enough, as i've told people today, Eagles Of Death Metal are a ROCK band, not a death metal band, seriously people make assumptions based on a band name, of all things..

Sorry if ranty, but had to correct people multiple times about EODM.

368891.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

^^^ Great image!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Speaking of Last Supper...
    CTzGGzhUYAAfxZk.jpg

http://www.breakingburgh.com/schism-erupts-in-pastafarianism-over-the-acceptability-of-plastic-colanders/
    The little-known religion of Pastafarianism became a little less little known this week when a Massachusetts woman won the right to have her drivers license photo taken whilst wearing a colander atop her head – an important tenet of the faith.

The extra attention has brought a simmering dispute within the Church to the fore, namely what types of colander constitute acceptable religious attire. Progressives argue that any recognizable colander is acceptable, be it made of metal, plastic, or even collapsible silicone. The orthodox wing has a simple response to any pasta straining device that isn’t a dual-handled wide-holed metal colander.

“Anathema!”

While there have been no physical clashes yet, some reddit threads reportedly ‘got quite nasty’, with older traditionalist Pastafarians proving to be especially vitriolic – though they were often taunted by liberal church members who would post selfies wearing their non-metallic brightly colored pasta strainers.

“Death to the plastic-colander-wearing heathens! They will not get to enjoy the afterlife.”

Though the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster – as it is officially known – doesn’t take a doctrinal position on what the afterlife is like or even if there is one, orthodox church members maintain that the breakaway liberal wing will never see it.
    “Maybe Pastafarian heaven is like real life except you can eat all the linguini you want and never get fat. But those blasphemers aren’t getting in. That much I know.”

While many moderate Pastafarians despaired for the split in their congregation, some can find a bright side even as factions emerge that view each other with an uncompromising hatred.

“Our maturation into a real religion is complete.”

368926.jpg

368933.gif

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Worztron wrote: »
    :eek:
    ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

d1430c824f46cfc8400eefcb8b6f4d88.jpg
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    ;)

My twin with the 'us'. We meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

1glf7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peregrine wrote: »
    My twin with the 'us'. We meet again.
    He's not as bold as you though.

369030.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Worztron wrote: »
    369030.jpg

You'd probably be annoyed too, if your willy was that tiny :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

369144.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

359754_700b_v1.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

369222.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

mojeebusbummer.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement