Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I don't know what she is so smug about, she still believes in the god of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    Doctor-Doctor Ken Ham concludes that if you don't believe Genesis, then why don't you just run around naked?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/10/28/creationist-if-you-dont-interpret-the-bible-literally-theres-no-reason-to-wear-clothes/

Because it's cold here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I don't know what she is so smug about, she still believes in the god of death.

In fairness she has some evidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

If the first 'marriage' was between Adam and Eve, then who conducted the ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

coolhull wrote: »
    If the first 'marriage' was between Adam and Eve, then who conducted the ceremony?

God, supposedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

coolhull wrote: »

It's what the next generation got up to that you should be worried about.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron

367064.jpg

:eek:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's barbaric, and wholly disgusting.

He's supposed to cut off her other hand. Cutting off the hand that didn't touch yer man's balls is just cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gerry069

48167a2ad13c0b172f4923f2dfcc580ecc6ad4f0b6eb253279796f0c6871a35e.jpg?w=600&h=308

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stolen again from YLYL:

PFTYZRy.png

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Stolen again from YLYL:

PFTYZRy.png

:D

The late great George Carlin on The 10 commandments:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Penn wrote: »
    That's barbaric, and wholly disgusting.

He's supposed to cut off her other hand. Cutting off the hand that didn't touch yer man's balls is just cruel.

Ah, he knew what he was doing.
    He cut off her weak hand .......

367159.jpg

367246.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

12195901_782906775189525_8025618232016529268_n.jpg?oh=7acf1f99c99355eff9114817dfe194d9&oe=56B9600E

367369.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Lots of people in the UK feel that Jesus is simply unreal. Literally.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34686993

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

367382.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robindch wrote: »
    Lots of people in the UK feel that Jesus is simply unreal. Literally.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34686993
    One thing I've found quite curious are the amount of people who are very flexible on the whole religion thing, "Yah sure believe what you want, I'm not sure I even believe in the whole God thing anyway", but are insanely insistent on the topic of the existence of Jesus.

They'll concede that they son of god thing is a bit far-fetched, but don't dare suggest that the guy never existed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

One thing I've found quite curious are the amount of people who are very flexible on the whole religion thing, "Yah sure believe what you want, I'm not sure I even believe in the whole God thing anyway", but are insanely insistent on the topic of the existence of Jesus.

They'll concede that they son of god thing is a bit far-fetched, but don't dare suggest that the guy never existed...

The trouble with apologetics is they equivocate between the Jesus of the Bible, Son of God, Jewish Zombie supreme and some apocalyptic cult leader that got into trouble with the Romans. If some historian says he probably existed, they pretend that means EVERYTHING about his story is validated. To some, it is either 0 or 100% true, no in between allowed.
    For a creationist, ANY flaw in the bible disproves everything. They have that fanatical absolutist mindset, that makes them invest their entire worldview into one seriously flawed story.
    I am not sure if there was never any cult leader named Yeshua or Yoshua 2000 years ago, and it really does not matter, the Jesus of the bible has been shown to be unsupported historically by any objective historian that has the balls to say so. People have got to let this stuff go sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not find it difficult to accept that Jesus was an actual person, I don't mind either way, but I don't see that because I describe myself as atheist I have deny that he existed as a person, or even the outline of the biblical version. On balance I would consider it more likely than not. There had to be something to hang the stories on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That's because they're guided by the evidence. There's a fair bit of research into the historical Jesus and, while there is a dissenting minority, the academic consensus is that, yes, Jesus of Nazareth is a historically-established figure, and the stories in the gospels refer to him.

(Which is not to say that all of the stories in the gospels are true. But it's pretty likely that they do refer to a historical figure.)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I found Reza Aslan's Zealot an interesting read on the topic.

367452.jpg

367564.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

32rai.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

32rai.jpg

There really is some tortuous, convoluted thinking goes on...to what end? Its really rather sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a joke, that god loves beetles the most because there are more species of beetles than anything else. Originally of course the baptised baby was top of the heap (possibly an unfortunate phrase in the light of Tuam, but hasn't been put on the trigger warning list yet)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

32rai.jpg

Thinking about it, I don't actually know the answer!
    He seems awfully fond of beetles, plants seem to do well more or less everywhere (except in my house which is a type of Bermuda triangle for them!) Certain animals get an awful raw deal and there's no denying he seems to have a bit of a grudge against those filthy little humans too.

It's a toss up between plants and beetles for me?

Advertisement