Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Did Cav not wear his first yellow Jersey after moving on from DQS? Doubt he will have regretted that?
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its confirmed now it seems

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-to-leave-deceuninck-quickstep-at-end-of-2021-season/

Gaviria, Viviana and Cavendish all regretted the move so I hope he chooses wisely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lefevre out with the poor mouth sh!te again making it sound like (and they may be) that they are asking for too much, and maybe they (or his agent are).

Their squad is stacked enough though and probably a lot who would attract more money elsewhere, and it's a short career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Also Bora are likely to leave Sagan go this year so they can get Bennett in for in around the same contract l.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    Also Bora are likely to leave Sagan go this year so they can get Bennett in for in around the same contract l.

But Specialized cover much of Sagan's contract do they not?

, it's quite possibly that his link to DQS is a similar deal. They already ride specialized. Lefevre likes when people put money in.

Bora will be paying out of their own pocket and does he bring Morkov or others with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Did Cav not wear his first yellow Jersey after moving on from DQS? Doubt he will have regretted that?

Your right ya his first season at Quebeka was a good year

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Levfevre goes through sprinters like an avacado farm goes through water. I think he sees them as one trick ponies who are not worth the money that their agents expect them (The teams) to pay after a run of good results.

Sprinters can bring instant success if a win is needed, but a classics/GC rider will bring the long term prominenece to a team that the sponsors want.

Bennett going back to Bora would be interesting as they both ended up sort of throwing each other under the bus. Can they kiss and make up?

His sprinters have never fitted into his sponsors core demographic from what I can remember. If Sam, Viviani or whoever was Belgian he might be more willing to lose someone to pay for them.

Im sore Remco and Boonen got big money offers too but he always found the money somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don’t think it’s personal lads. If Lefevre is saying other have more money than him to offer, it probably means Sam has already lined up a better deal

They have Remco, Alaphillippe and Asgreen signed up and they’re all going to command big wages (the first two can pretty much name their price).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

His sprinters have never fitted into his sponsors core demographic from what I can remember. If Sam, Viviani or whoever was Belgian he might be more willing to lose someone to pay for them.

Im sore Remco and Boonen got big money offers too but he always found the money somehow

This is on the button I would think. At his age I couldn't imagine JAP signing for 3 years unless it was a competitive salary. And given who he is and how well known he is in the French speaking market I'd imagine Lef went beyond his normal limits to accommodate him. Riders talk and I'm sure Sam had a decent inkling of JAP's terms, then looked at his own and started thinking. In other sports (golf jumps to mind but soccer too) stars often get remunerated based on their marketing pull more than their raw results. And with money coming from sponsors you can see how cycling is no different. In spite of his massive potential Remco may be a different case due to his young age... who knows.

I do wonder how Sam leaving will affect the TDF... will he get to ride it...

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭MangleBadger

I presume Remco won’t go to the tour post Giro. So I can see DQS going with the same plan as last year. Very good chance of getting another green jersey before Sam leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I’m really surprised by this as Sam seems to really be happy with this team and he’s getting great results.

Must have a serious offer on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Being reported on a Dutch website that Sam and Hindley will move to BORA next season... Ackermann off to UAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I’m really surprised by this as Sam seems to really be happy with this team and he’s getting great results.

Must have a serious offer on the table.

PL did say that Sam doesn't want to leave so I'm sure if the money was even close to what he's being offered elsewhere he'd be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭MangleBadger

happytramp wrote: »
    Being reported on a Dutch website that Sam and Hindley will move to BORA next season... Ackermann off to UAE.

I'm sure Kelderman will be delighted to see Hindley join him at Bora.

happytramp wrote: »

Direct replacement for Gaviria who is also out of contract this year I'd say, can't imagine UAE keeping him on unless he turns on the form at the Giro.

Was great watching Sam yesterday in the Algarve, don't often see rides like that from him or many of the sprinters in fact. Didn't look to be a man bothered by this news and was very much riding for the team so if the Bora news is true there definitely isn't bad blood there at DQS at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Hindley is most likely to go to Trek
    Sagan's Salary is 4 Million per year with Spesh picking up 2 Million of that. Spesh are already paying Cav's wages at Quickstep.
    Gaviria is likely to end up at Arkea Samsic, freeing up a spot in UAE.
    Viviani and DQS fell out over 250k, Quickstep just wouldn't match an offer that was that.

This is a ****ty play by Levefevre, in all his talk, he clearly hasn't said I have offered Sam a contract, he's just
    said he's refusing to match other offers. Which is quite handy as it indicates they have a slot open and he
    can conveniently say he's not looking for a sprinter, but people can talk to him.

For all his pissing and moaning about loyalty and respect, he has shown a great lack of respect to
    big name riders not just including Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Was great watching Sam yesterday in the Algarve, don't often see rides like that from him or many of the sprinters in fact. Didn't look to be a man bothered by this news and was very much riding for the team so if the Bora news is true there definitely isn't bad blood there at DQS at the minute.

Negotiations with the boss and relationships with team mates are two completely different things. Talks may be a little thorny but that doesn't and shouldn't affect how you relate to your teammates and ride with them.

The fallout with Bora was reported as disharmonious but pragmatism wins and if a rider is easy to work with there is no reason to move on and rehire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I doubt it's even Sam being directly involved tbh. It could also be a negotiating play by Lefevere - taking DQS off the table if McQuaid is playing a few teams off against each other. As for timing Lefevere has to justify whatever he's getting for that column...

I don't think Bora is a bad fit to be honest, notwithstanding them being dicks about releasing him. They've supported Ackermann plenty well the last couple of years without him being able to finish it off. Similarly with Sagan.

Yesterdays Eurosport podcast was quite interesting on how early this is kicking off transfer season though. Even if they are totally overplaying the Jorge Mendez angle, and his link up with the Corsa agency.

Negotiations with the boss and relationships with team mates are two completely different things. Talks may be a little thorny but that doesn't and shouldn't affect how you relate to your teammates and ride with them.

The fallout with Bora was reported as disharmonious but pragmatism wins and if a rider is easy to work with there is no reason to move on and rehire.

He did come up through the ranks with that team all the way back to Netapp so the kinda grew up together so its the best fit if they can patch it up

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I wonder will Bora look to bring Morkov with Sam? Could Sam use that as part of his negotiations?

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    I wonder will Bora look to bring Morkov with Sam? Could Sam use that as part of his negotiations?

Archibald has been following him around for years now too with the odd break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Morkov has already re-signed with Quickstep. Just not announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Feck and I haven't even worn the new DQS hoodie I bought recently :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Feck and I haven't even worn the new DQS hoodie I bought recently :D
    Pleased I was put off by the postage on the basket of stuff I had!

As per the Racing thread, maybe Sam would get the chance to go for the classics a bit more out of DQS and at a Sagan-less Bora. I'd take Bora over the likes of UAE anyway.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Pleased I was put off by the postage on the basket of stuff I had!

As per the Racing thread, maybe Sam would get the chance to go for the classics a bit more out of DQS and at a Sagan-less Bora. I'd take Bora over the likes of UAE anyway.

I'm just glad there is no talk of Ineos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

After Vivi they'll never do sprinters again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A pity, the DQT social media marketing works so much better on me than the Bora stuff :pac: I also think they held Sam back for Sagan, follow the money but you would have to be a bit bitter. I'd love if Specialized just handed Sam the money to stay where he was, after that year he has to be the best bang for their marketing buck.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'd love if Specialized just handed Sam the money to stay where he was, after that year he has to be the best bang for their marketing buck.
    Only in racing terms - Sagan doing all the gran fondo/ gravel stuff in the US pre-covid too.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only in racing terms - Sagan doing all the gran fondo/ gravel stuff in the US pre-covid too.

Sagan is at a whole other level in terms of cycling commercial exposure. There have been very few of his generation who would be up there with him and Sam is nowhere near that outside of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Not sure I'd rule it out. Shedloads of cash, a new-found focus on one-day racing and a team full of of high speed diesels that would be very useful in the last 20km. Lack of an experienced lead-out is the key issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not sure I'd rule it out. Shedloads of cash, a new-found focus on one-day racing and a team full of of high speed diesels that would be very useful in the last 20km. Lack of an experienced lead-out is the key issue.

No chance of that happening, a suicide move for a sprinter.

Advertisement