Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭dublin49

Maybe check what the procyclingstats apportion points wise to SB V GJ as a starting point.Not conclusive but will be an informed view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/transfer-mechanics-chase-for-next-young-stars-fuels-300-rider-worldtour-market/

Sam being listed as out of contract for next year - chance of a move from DQS?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

griffin100 wrote: »
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/transfer-mechanics-chase-for-next-young-stars-fuels-300-rider-worldtour-market/

Most of the team is out of contract next year but ide say it will be fine once the sponsors are announced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭Macy0161

griffin100 wrote: »

Only four from DQS under contract for next year at this point. Hopefully he'll stay, having seen what happens to sprinters that leave, but no doubt Patrick also uses that to low ball the offer on the table!

Edit - Alaphilippe just extended (he was already one of the 4) until 2024 - I'd say they're about to announce a multi-year sponsorship!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

I can’t see why they wouldn’t offer him another contract. His stock has gone through the roof. There’s probably negotiations for an increase which he deserves.

• Advertisement

I can’t see why they wouldn’t offer him another contract. His stock has gone through the roof. There’s probably negotiations for an increase which he deserves.

So had Gaviria and Viviani. Dan Martin was on great form when he left too but DQS won't offer the money others will especially with the wage money Ala and Remco will be sucking up.

Bennett is different to the other sprinters mentioned though as he grew up a DQS fan so is less likely to take the money ide say

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Bennett is different to the other sprinters mentioned though as he grew up a DQS fan so is less likely to take the money ide say
    But also a "professional", so it has to be somewhat about the contract. fwiw I reckon he'll stay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Macy0161 wrote: »
    But also a "professional", so it has to be somewhat about the contract. fwiw I reckon he'll stay though.

Sam’s no dope. If the contract is right and he knows he’ll keep winning, he knows he can have his own personal sponsors too, particularly here in Ireland

Now if UAE come with a ‘double your money’ offer I’m sure he’ll listen to it :)

Dodge wrote: »
    Sam’s no dope. If the contract is right and he knows he’ll keep winning, he knows he can have his own personal sponsors too, particularly here in Ireland

Now if UAE come with a ‘double your money’ offer I’m sure he’ll listen to it :)

his next contract will be probably be his last big one so will need to make hay.You cant eat medals.

dublin49 wrote: »
    his next contract will be probably be his last big
    As a sprinter. Then he turns into a classics guy! :D

• Advertisement

his next contract will be probably be his last big one so will need to make hay.You cant eat medals.

Maybe Lidl will throw in a few bags of chocolate ones if he stays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Maybe Lidl will throw in a few bags of chocolate ones if he stays

I heard he gets a 5% discount with the LIDL app, can't buy value like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

CramCycle wrote: »
    I heard he gets a 5% discount with the LIDL app, can't buy value like that.

I bet it's him who gets the early bird on the cycling shorts in Lidl in Carrick.

Looks like Sam will be heading to Portugal for the Vuelta a Algarve that starts on the 5th May. Ackerman and Van Poppel among the sprinters there

2 flat stages out of 5 it seems

Looks like Sam will be heading to Portugal for the Vuelta a Algarve that starts on the 5th May. Ackerman and Van Poppel among the sprinters there

2 flat stages out of 5 it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're not really meant to discuss current races here in case you spoil it for someone.
    There is a general race thread

Maybe stay out of the thread if you've a mind to watch the race later.

I could understand for Grand Tours or possibly even monuments, but what should we do, start a new thread for every race?

That's like not discussing premier league games in the Liverpool or United threads.

Stay out of the thread if you've a mind to watch the race later.

It's not the same for one very important reason. Soccer matches never happen during 9 to 5 when most of the population work where as most cycling does so it has a way higher number of fans who tape and watch later.

Most cycling forums I know have a 24hr rule on non spoiler threads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

I could understand for Grand Tours or possibly even monuments, but what should we do, start a new thread for every race?

There's no fee to start a new thread. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's a general thread covering 2021 races to discuss races as they happen:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117087063#post117087063

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Jaysus don't shoot me I was only trying to help

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Whats the point of a Sam Bennett thread if you can't discuss his races on it?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Whats the point of a Sam Bennett thread if you can't discuss his races on it?

Simple solution. Put a spoiler warning on the thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ffs, thr post was deleted specially as it had spoilers. That's not an invitation to go make the same post again.

This comes up every year. People know that when the bennett thread is up top, early enough in the day it's likely going to have a thing about his race.

However someone else may wish to post something related, without wanting to know how he got on today. This came up only a few pages ago, and we get a load of reported posts and associated emails when someone "spoils" a result. The general race thread was created for this very reason.

Simple solution. Put a spoiler warning on the thread

Even better can we put a no spoilers warning in the name

I think you should be able to discuss races as they happen on this thread.let those that don't want to know the result stay off the thread as you wud do with radio .tv etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think you should be able to discuss races as they happen on this thread.let those that don't want to know the result stay off the thread as you wud do with radio .tv etc.

That's why there's a rwce thread.

It's been explained before. There's other sam bennett related news beyond his race results and people like to discuss that while not having the race itself spoiled for them. It's not too much of an ask.

Weepsie wrote: »
    That's why there's a rwce thread.

It's been explained before. There's other sam bennett related news beyond his race results and people like to discuss that while not having the race itself spoiled for them. It's not too much of an ask.

I do understand but during a major tour surely there would be loads of different discussion strands on a general thread not all relating to Sam ,and Sams thread is where we should be discussing his progress ,anyway .no big deal .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

I do understand but during a major tour surely there would be loads of different discussion strands on a general thread not all relating to Sam ,and Sams thread is where we should be discussing his progress ,anyway .no big deal .

It's pretty unlikely that people will come on to post sam bennett related news in the aftermath of one of his races that is unrelated to the result of said race.... Why would anybody with an interest in watching a race later that sam was likely to feature in go into a thread specifically dealing with sam. It's just common sense.... Anyway, I expect traffic on this thread to fall off a cliff now.

Edit.. What about a separate sam thread specifically dealing with his races.. With spoilers allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MangleBadger

During the TDF/Vuelta there was lots of Sam discussion ongoing while leaving a days gap to talk about his latest result. So people could talk about the overall Green jersey battle and not spoil the days race.

• Advertisement

happytramp wrote: »
    It's pretty unlikely that people will come on to post sam bennett related news in the aftermath of one of his races that is unrelated to the result of said race.... Why would anybody with an interest in watching a race later that sam was likely to feature in go into a thread specifically dealing with sam. It's just common sense.... Anyway, I expect traffic on this thread to fall off a cliff now.

Edit.. What about a separate sam thread specifically dealing with his races.. With spoilers allowed?

You don't need a mod to set up a thread you know

Advertisement