Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I wonder if Remco changes that. They've given him a contract like no-one's ever seen and Lefevere won't have done that without significant money coming in from Belgian backers. He's got to keep them happy, and he seems to have changed strategy lately, bringing in a lot of very decent climbers. There's already the makings of a GC team with Almeida, Masnada, Serry, Vansavenant, Cavagna, Knox, not to mention Alaphilippe, Asgreen, and Lampaert.

It's hard to maintain a squad that can compete in the classics and grand tours, and carry a top quality sprinter and lead out without having a massive budget.

I worry Sam might go to Ineos. He's good mates with Dunbar, McQuaid is cosy with Ineos management, and I think they like to have top Irish riders to lessen the sh!t they get from Irish people on social media (me included).

Almedia is gone. Cavagna is out of contract, and has already been in talks with Cofidis.

Sky as it was, had to have Irish and Italian Riders on the Roster as part of their marketing strategy. How that fairs out with Big Jim on board now I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Point I'm making is that he won't be following whatever money trail Sam is following.
    Best lead out man in the sport still wouldn't command the same money as one of the best sprinters.

Morkov also has to consider whether he's allowed focus on the track as well as the road.

I still wouldn't rule out this being game playing by Lefevere - there's been zero out of anyone connected to Sam, has there? Morkov renewing is another possibly part of the game of convincing him to stay. Sam has definitely been going big on Specialized on instagram the last couple of weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Junior wrote: »
    Almedia is gone. Cavagna is out of contract, and has already been in talks with Cofidis.

Sky as it was, had to have Irish and Italian Riders on the Roster as part of their marketing strategy. How that fairs out with Big Jim on board now I don't know.

Completely forgot about Almeida! The point still stands, maybe to a slightly lesser degree, DQS have morphed into more of a grand tour GC team over the last couple of years and they've got to back Remco.

Completely forgot about Almeida! The point still stands, maybe to a slightly lesser degree, DQS have morphed into more of a grand tour GC team over the last couple of years and they've got to back Remco.

Oh for sure, and look the interesting thing comes in a year or two's time, if or when Remco want's a tilt at the Tdf, how does Pat compensate a GC challenge with wanting a Sprinter.

He has been through all this before with Mapei, but Remco is the Golden Golden boy. Pat has even given him his apartment in Monaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have feeling the green jersey battle in the TDF will be a real humdinger. Sagan beginning to show good form, Ewan will be there in the sprints in the early stages at least, Demare too. Sam will have a real fight on his hands to get points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I have feeling the green jersey battle in the TDF will be a real humdinger. Sagan beginning to show good form, Ewan will be there in the sprints in the early stages at least, Demare too. Sam will have a real fight on his hands to get points.
    Looks like it with Sagan climbing very well. He knows he can’t beat Sam in a straight up sprint whereas Ewan can sometimes but I can’t see him climbing as good as Sam over 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks like it with Sagan climbing very well. He knows he can’t beat Sam in a straight up sprint whereas Ewan can sometimes but I can’t see him climbing as good as Sam over 3 weeks.

I can't see Bora pulling that type of a win of multiple times over a tour at the minute. It was brilliant tactically but the effort that went into it would be unsustainable and would easily be matched by DQS tailing them in the TdF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They did it last year in the Tour and distanced Sam and I think Sagan finished 5th on the stage

Not to diminish his win yesterday but the Tour brings out a higher level of sprinter

Sagan won a couple of green jerseys just because no one else tried for it. Last year even DQT didn’t aim for it until a couple of stages in.

Maybe Ewan will fancy going for it this year. Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is Sagan even going to the Tour this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dodge wrote: »
    They did it last year in the Tour and distanced Sam and I think Sagan finished 5th on the stage

Not to diminish his win yesterday but the Tour brings out a higher level of sprinter

Sagan won a couple of green jerseys just because no one else tried for it. Last year even DQT didn’t aim for it until a couple of stages in.

Maybe Ewan will fancy going for it this year. Who knows

A couple. It was 7 in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm going to presume this is available in "Libby" the new app for magazines in local libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Sam has definitely been going big on Specialized on instagram the last couple of weeks...

Sam is simply fulfilling contractual obligations.
    I.E. he is paid to praise his team's sponsors on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

breezy1985 wrote: »
    A couple. It was 7 in fairness

He won 7 yeah but a couple of them no one tried to beat him was my point. He was about 200 points clear of his nearest competitor

Now he had earned that ‘respect’ by his earlier performances. They effectively thought they couldn’t beat him so didn’t try

I didn’t mean to come across as knocking Sagan so apologies if that was the case. He’s one of my favourite cyclists of the last 10 years or so

But he doesn’t have the level of sprint he used to have. That’s all I meant by it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lefevere doubled down on Sam leaving in one of the articles that I read on Quick Step extending anyway.

Dodge wrote: »
    He won 7 yeah but a couple of them no one tried to beat him was my point. He was about 200 points clear of his nearest competitor

Now he had earned that ‘respect’ by his earlier performances. They effectively thought they couldn’t beat him so didn’t try

I didn’t mean to come across as knocking Sagan so apologies if that was the case. He’s one of my favourite cyclists of the last 10 years or so

But he doesn’t have the level of sprint he used to have. That’s all I meant by it

Ah fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Point I'm making is that he won't be following whatever money trail Sam is following.

sam's 30 so who could blame him, although if hes leaving dcq it could only be because they arent backing him s no 1 sprinter.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm going to presume this is available in "Libby" the new app for magazines in local libraries.

yep available on pressreader on the online login as well, had a quick read last night

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Could it just be DCQ aren’t planning to bring a sprinter to Tour in 2022 as they’re going to focus team around Evenepoel for GC? If they’re going for GC then likely stage victories and whole sprint train less important.

This would mean that Sam is not as valuable to them as his ‘market rate’ and so you might expect him to move to get paid what he’s ‘worth’ from a team hunting stage wins at Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Well they might change their minds after seeing Remco in the Giro so far. I’d say they will be targeting green again in the Tour.

Well they might change their minds after seeing Remco in the Giro so far. I’d say they will be targeting green again in the Tour.

Alaphillipe has pulled out of the Olympics so Ide say a shot at yellow is still on too

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Alaphillipe has pulled out of the Olympics so Ide say a shot at yellow is still on too

His Missus is due her first baby, hence why he pulled out of the Olympics, so if he was dropping out of the Tour early for the Olympics, he still might do it, to be there for his first kid.

Junior wrote: »
    His Missus is due her first baby, hence why he pulled out of the Olympics, so if he was dropping out of the Tour early for the Olympics, he still might do it, to be there for his first kid.

Maybe. I had just assumed his decision was logistics I didn't know about the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Might be both - why put all your focus on the Olympics when there is a possibility it may not even take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I’d say they will be targeting green again in the Tour.

I think in 2022 if they are going for yellow (if!) then they won’t go for green as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Procycling Magazine's June 2021 front cover
    20210521-094615.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Sagan looks likely to replace him at QS next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

More importantly, is "Procycling" nearly €10 now? And is it still 30-40% advertising?

More importantly, is "Procycling" nearly €10 now? And is it still 30-40% advertising?

yep, almost a tenner. I never buy it but got this because of the Sam bennett feature.
    Regarding whether it's 30 to 40% advertising, I flicked through it last night and was surprised with the amount of articles in it. Definitely not 40% advertising anyway.
    Cool cover though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

De Bhál wrote: »
    Procycling Magazine's June 2021 front cover

XPS 15.. :D Great machine. On mine here now..

• Advertisement

XPS 15.. :D Great machine. On mine here now..

No idea what you were referring to, had to search, the laptop.
    TBH I know nothing about it bar, it's what work gave me, and it's called a laptop.

Advertisement