Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Sagan is at a whole other level in terms of cycling commercial exposure. There have been very few of his generation who would be up there with him and Sam is nowhere near that outside of Ireland
    None of his generation. I'd say he looks enviously at what MvP has got going on with Canyon, and the ability to mix it up as he wants!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure I'd rule it out. Shedloads of cash, a new-found focus on one-day racing and a team full of of high speed diesels that would be very useful in the last 20km. Lack of an experienced lead-out is the key issue.

Ya but they are an awful bunch of k**bs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Don’t know why but this evening i started to think Sam could end up with Israel. They seem to have a big budget, froome is an absolute failure and they try to get involved in sprints/ try organise a sprint train - but missing a sprinter and a lead out man :-)

Wouldn’t be too happy to see him there but wouldn’t rule out.

The Buster wrote: »
    Don’t know why but this evening i started to think Sam could end up with Israel. They seem to have a big budget, froome is an absolute failure and they try to get involved in sprints/ try organise a sprint train - but missing a sprinter and a lead out man :-)

Wouldn’t be too happy to see him there but wouldn’t rule out.

The Gorilla has another year there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I notice his father retweeting a lot of Cofidis stuff lately.....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Total money move if he goes there.

Total money move if he goes there.

Agreed. But I don’t think they would have the money to make it worth Sams while. There are other teams that would match what they would pay but give a better win ratio so I don’t think Cofidis are a match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭wav1

Can't see a single cofidis tweet from his dad.??

The Buster wrote: »
    Agreed. But I don’t think they would have the money to make it worth Sams while. There are other teams that would match what they would pay but give a better win ratio so I don’t think Cofidis are a match
    They got Vivani when he left DQS. I don't think money is really an issue there. tbf as well, the team is getting it's stuff together, it's just like turning an oil tanker after so many years.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They got Vivani when he left DQS. I don't think money is really an issue there. tbf as well, the team is getting it's stuff together, it's just like turning an oil tanker after so many years.

One win is not getting their stuff together. They have always been a very haphazard team but ide rather he end up there over one of the various Isreal/Bahrain/UAE human rights abusers.

Not sure if it would be any good win wise but I'm really starting to like Trek and DSM so wouldn't mind seeing that happen

One win is not getting their stuff together. They have always been a very haphazard team but ide rather he end up there over one of the various Isreal/Bahrain/UAE human rights abusers.

Not sure if it would be any good win wise but I'm really starting to like Trek and DSM so wouldn't mind seeing that happen

DSM is an absolute horrible place.

See Dumoulin, Kittel, Matthews, Hindley, Kelderman, et al for examples.

Junior wrote: »
    DSM is an absolute horrible place.

See Dumoulin, Kittel, Matthews, Hindley, Kelderman, et al for examples.

I would say there is more question marks over some of them than the team. Don't know what the Hindley issue is or Kittel I thought he done well there no. Dumoulin it now seems was nothing to do with the team and I always thought Bling was just a bit of a k**b.

I don't remember very much about Kelderman good or bad so not sure there

I wasn't even considering the weekends win to be honest. There's a new management team there since last year or the year before? As I understand it, the entire structure needed an overhaul/ modernisation.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wasn't even considering the weekends win to be honest. There's a new management team there since last year or the year before? As I understand it, the entire structure needed an overhaul/ modernisation.

I didn't know about the management change. They used have a reputation for being a bit bat stuff crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

Wherever he goes, I just really really want to see Sam Bennett obliterate a perfectly composed DQS Morkov sprint train next year. There's a lot of annoying talk that Bennett only wins because of Morkov, and whatever sprinter has morkov is going to win

Wherever he goes, I just really really want to see Sam Bennett obliterate a perfectly composed DQS Morkov sprint train next year. There's a lot of annoying talk that Bennett only wins because of Morkov, and whatever sprinter has morkov is going to win

It's not really just about Morkov it's the whole well oiled sprint train they have. They are also one of the very few big teams willing to fully back a sprinter in the TdF

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would disagree as well because the simple fact is that Morkov on his own is a beast of a sprinter, and if he wasn't leading anyone out, he would be contending for the win in many scenarios. Not quite as explosive as some but the pace over a distance is incredible and at several races he would be a contender. Sam is winning because he can hold Morkovs wheel and then come round him before he eases up, kilo for kilo, Sam is one of the strongest sprinters around and in a straight line, I doubt there is anyone that would come round him in a non tactical run in to the line either. My memory is Sam won a few with Bora with effectively no support but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

It's not really just about Morkov it's the whole well oiled sprint train they have. They are also one of the very few big teams willing to fully back a sprinter in the TdF

I wonder if Remco changes that. They've given him a contract like no-one's ever seen and Lefevere won't have done that without significant money coming in from Belgian backers. He's got to keep them happy, and he seems to have changed strategy lately, bringing in a lot of very decent climbers. There's already the makings of a GC team with Almeida, Masnada, Serry, Vansavenant, Cavagna, Knox, not to mention Alaphilippe, Asgreen, and Lampaert.

It's hard to maintain a squad that can compete in the classics and grand tours, and carry a top quality sprinter and lead out without having a massive budget.

I worry Sam might go to Ineos. He's good mates with Dunbar, McQuaid is cosy with Ineos management, and I think they like to have top Irish riders to lessen the sh!t they get from Irish people on social media (me included).

• Advertisement

MK has signed a contract extension anyway so he won't be following Sam to wherever he is going for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

I was thinking the same and chances are if he gets into any good position for the sprint he knows himself that he can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭dublin49

[QUOTE=CramCycle;117186687, kilo for kilo, Sam is one of the strongest sprinters around and in a straight line, I doubt there is anyone that would come round him in a non tactical run in to the line either. My memory is Sam won a few with Bora with effectively no support but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I think the exception to above is Caleb Ewan who has come around Sam a number of times to pip him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

MK has signed a contract extension anyway so he won't be following Sam to wherever he is going for the money.

That’s harsh.

I wouldn't be sure that Bennett is leaving for more money. More that DQS need to trim to keep Remco and Ala

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Morkov doesn’t win races so his *only* consideration is money

He’s great at his job, but the idea he’s in for the love of his team mates winning and not money is ridiculous

Dodge wrote: »
    Morkov doesn’t win races so his *only* consideration is money

He’s great at his job, but the idea he’s in for the love of his team mates winning and not money is ridiculous

Point I'm making is that he won't be following whatever money trail Sam is following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Point I'm making is that he won't be following whatever money trail Sam is following.

I understood your point. It’s just weird to see you bring up money as a reason for one cyclist to sign somewhere but not another

They all make their own decisions and do what’s best for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would disagree as well because the simple fact is that Morkov on his own is a beast of a sprinter, and if he wasn't leading anyone out, he would be contending for the win in many scenarios.

Didn’t people say the same about Mark Renshaw when he was leading out Cavendish? It didn’t exactly work out for him when he moved to Rabobank.

• Advertisement

Didn’t people say the same about Mark Renshaw when he was leading out Cavendish? It didn’t exactly work out for him when he moved to Rabobank.

They did say the same about Greipel and Cav too and we're right

Advertisement