Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    My front disc brake screams like a slaughtered pig in the rain. No need to use a bike horn, I even got cars pulling off at the sound of me stopping today. :mad::mad:

I also don't know if they have less power when wet or is it me being too ashamed to use them.

I hope you remembered to scream ''Squeaaaaaaal like a pig boy!''

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Christ, you fell off in May and are only getting the all clear now? :eek:

Sorry for the late reply but yea only recently I was told not to worry about it anymore. Still a weak point if I take a fall again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Peter T wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply but yea only recently I was told not to worry about it anymore. Still a weak point if I take a fall again.

Jesus that's scary. Did you get pinned? Have to have loads of physio? You must have done a proper job on it ouch :(

I got the lend of a turbo yesterday evening off the lovely generous Beasty. In my excitement to get back on I hopped On immediately after he left. I learnt never to wear slippers on a Track bike. Every day's a school day! I'm stupidly excited to be back on a bike again. Yeahie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Being back on a bike is great,one problem though: How do you lads convince your loved ones that going for a spin will take a couple of hours and not just a quick 10k.
    My missus still hasn't gotten her head around the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

zerks wrote: »
    Being back on a bike is great,one problem though: How do you lads convince your loved ones that going for a spin will take a couple of hours and not just a quick 10k.
    My missus still hasn't gotten her head around the idea.

Just be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Just be honest.
    :eek:

I guess my tactic is certainly not to lie!!

However the family don't read Boards and were oblivious to my first two or three road spins. Eventually it was "presented" as a fait accompli.....

(having said that there was no way I could do anywhere near 10k first time out - couldn't even stop the bike properly!)

Beasty wrote: »

I guess my tactic is certainly not to lie!!

However the family don't read Boards and were oblivious to my first two or three road spins. Eventually it was "presented" as a fait accompli.....

(having said that there was no way I could do anywhere near 10k first time out - couldn't even stop the bike properly!)

Mt.Leinster is staring me in the face every day,that's my aim.Still trying to get the legs into climbing mode.It's gas,when I was younger,I'd climb it on a bike that is akin to a gate on wheels in comparison to the one I have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

its like deja vu all over again

324073.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

its like deja vu all over again

324073.jpg
    stickybottle are always repeating articles. they had ones during the race season that were a few months and talking about 'as race season approaches'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

(having said that there was no way I could do anywhere near 10k first time out - I cant even stop the bike properly without going arse over tiit)
    yeah we know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...How do you lads convince your loved ones that going for a spin will take a couple of hours and not just a quick 10k....
    A couple of hours is a very quick spin!

I make sure she sees the lights being charged in the kitchen even though it may be 8 am on a sunny morning.

Q. "Why are you taking lights - it's a lovely sunny morning?"

A. "So I can return home safely when it gets dark".

So Pater Scone had to be moved up to the fast beginner group this morning....ahem....squeeeeeeeeee!

I on the other hand am planning on joining Orwell this week and am somewhat anxious about learning to ride in a group/being laughably slow/inept/ putting mudguards on my precioussssssz.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I on the other hand am planning on joining Orwell this week and am somewhat anxious about learning to ride in a group/being laughably slow/inept/ putting mudguards on my precioussssssz.
    As long as you pick a group appropriate to your ability and don't insist on stopping after 30km to order hot food, you'll be grand.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Orla Hendron (Orwell Wheelers) took gold in the World Track Masters 50-54 pursuit today

Fantastic result - well done Orla!!

EDIT: Just seen Susie Mitchell (Sundrive) took bronze in the 35-39 age group as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781305/Police-hunt-saboteur-left-hundreds-drawing-pins-cycle-track-bikers-racing-speeds-70mph.html

Somebody threw hundreds of drawing pins all over the road on a stretch of road being used for a race.The comments on the article say a lot about the mentality of some people.

Orla Hendron (Orwell Wheelers) took gold in the World Track Masters 50-54 pursuit today

Fantastic result - well done Orla!!

EDIT: Just seen Susie Mitchell (Sundrive) took bronze in the 35-39 age group as well.

It's awesome! Go Orla and Susie! Susie was on the GB cycling team website as being 2nd for ages. Didn't Orla get bronze in the points and 4th in the scratch as well?

Eta that might be wrong, ASusie is down as coming 1st in the Pursiut here but she got bronze.:
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/80862/UCI-World-Masters-Track-Championships#results

They're from 2012. My bad!

Events started last night and continue until next Saturday, and points races are still to come. Orla picked up a gold in the points in 2010. Susie picked up gold in the prusuit in 2012 (I was there!) and each of them picked up 2 silvers last year, both in pursuit and points races

Not sure what events they are in this year, but I may pop my head into the velodrome on Wednesday evening when the respective TTs are on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781305/Police-hunt-saboteur-left-hundreds-drawing-pins-cycle-track-bikers-racing-speeds-70mph.html

Somebody threw hundreds of drawing pins all over the road on a stretch of road being used for a race.The comments on the article say a lot about the mentality of some people.

Daily Mail commenters are drawn from the knuckle-dragging community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Just spent ages creating TT and Sprint segments on Strava for my auld fella.

He does enjoy his Strava and segments. Sadly, where he is, there aren't many.

There are now!

Bought new bike too. 3/4 weeks of checking a bike that was long sold off on Canyon finally paid off.

I'm very persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

gadetra wrote: »
    Jesus that's scary. Did you get pinned? Have to have loads of physio? You must have done a proper job on it ouch :(

I got the lend of a turbo yesterday evening off the lovely generous Beasty. In my excitement to get back on I hopped On immediately after he left. I learnt never to wear slippers on a Track bike. Every day's a school day! I'm stupidly excited to be back on a bike again. Yeahie :D

Nope no pins or physio, was out of the sling after 3 weeks and on the rollers after about 4/5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

It's nice to see a father bringing his child out for a cycle. Not so much when it's dusk and you've no lights on the front/back of either bike. High vis vests though :rolleyes:

Orla Hendron, Susie Mitchel and Roisín Kennedy in the team pursuit tomorrow in the Masters World Track Championships (Celtic Caillíní). They got the 3rd fastest qualifying time today. Go ladies!

gadetra wrote: »
    Orla Hendron, Susie Mitchel and Roisín Kennedy in the team pursuit tomorrow in the Masters World Track Championships (Celtic Caillíní). They got the 3rd fastest qualifying time today. Go ladies!
    Finals were this evening - unfortunately they finished 4th losing the bronze medal run-off to the USA

Finals were this evening - unfortunately they finished 4th losing the bronze medal run-off to the USA

Crap. I thought today was Sunday :o:o Great effort though, they race for 3 different teams and would have had limited time to practice as a trio over the year-I don't think I seen the 3 practice together this year (but I have been out the last month.) The American's were in another league, fantastic time.

To turbo or not to turbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Some more old bikes (L'Eroica vintage bike ride) from the Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2014/oct/06/leroica-vintage-bike-ride-in-pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Hello Andre.

1YJX9qA.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

CI end of season results/rankings out today.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-irelands-end-of-season-official-a4-rankings-in-full/

In the A4 cat there is a single person at the top, with 10 points, which equates to an upgrade to A3.

Can it be assumed that the sole rider on the final list with 10 points started at 0 at the beginning of the year and reached 10 at the conclusion of the season, with nobody else managing to do the same?

Or, if someone else managed to get 10+ points before the end of the season they were bumped onto the A3 list and so don't get an appearance on the A4 rankings for the year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement