Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Peter T wrote: »
    You haven't lived till you've broke it in 4 :cool:. Finally got the all clear last week on mine (came off in may). Im left with a pokey floaty sticky out bit too, can hang a shirt off it with a clothes hanger :D

Nooooooice!

My kneecap has a little spike/horn on it but I've yet to find a utilitarian purpose for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Peter T wrote: »
    You haven't lived till you've broke it in 4 :cool:. Finally got the all clear last week on mine (came off in may). Im left with a pokey floaty sticky out bit too, can hang a shirt off it with a clothes hanger :D

Christ, you fell off in May and are only getting the all clear now? :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Just thinking. Kav0777 you mentioned you hit the ground on the back of your shoulder, as did I (hangover from horsey days. You were taught how to fall, to tuck and roll and it's instinctively what I do coming off the bike now, but the bike's a lot closer to the ground than a Horse! ) and it resulted in collarbone breaks and shoulder injuries. I wonder its there a way to fall to avoid that? I seen a gcn video about common cycling injuries and they mentioned holding on to the unfortunate as a way to protect yourself.
    Bike's don't give you a lot of opportunity to practice falling though, I've only come off my bike 3 times as an adult. They don't buck or rear or bolt or jink!

I do think that it's something useful to learn though, as it is for riders and all jockeys to help minimise injury.

gadetra wrote: »
    Just thinking. Kav0777 you mentioned you hit the ground on the back of your shoulder, as did I (hangover from horsey days. You were taught how to fall, to tuck and roll and it's instinctively what I do coming off the bike now, but the bike's a lot closer to the ground than a Horse! ) and it resulted in collarbone breaks and shoulder injuries. I wonder its there a way to fall to avoid that? I seen a gcn video about common cycling injuries and they mentioned holding on to the unfortunate as a way to protect yourself.
    Bike's don't give you a lot of opportunity to practice falling though, I've only come off my bike 3 times as an adult. They don't buck or rear or bolt or jink!

I do think that it's something useful to learn though, as it is for riders and all jockeys to help minimise injury.

This was my second fall as an adult, the first was when I slid out in the wet going around a roundabout. It happened so quick that i was still holding the handle bars as I slid across the road. I had cuts, bruises and a lot of road rash all up the right hand side of my body from my knee to my face, all fairly superficial. I've no doubt that if I had let go of the handle bars and put my arm out to break my fall, I would've broken my collarbone.

This time though it was the losing grip that was the problem. I can still see the handlebars jump and fall away out of reach and remember thinking "they are far too low...sh1t...this is going to hurt...hey! my foot's unclipped... "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i head off cycling when my wife is going in to do horseriding, she always tells me to be careful. my usual reaction is that my bike is not going to throw me off at the sight of a crisp packet, nor will i need to jump 1m fences on it for no reason.

• Advertisement

Kav07777 I are you me?! My first adult fall (apart from being hit by a car) was sliding out at a roundabout, last October actually., in the Train of a patch of oil. I went over the bars and tucked and rolled, dislocating my left shoulder for the first time. I reckon my method is bad for shoulders and collar ones but good for arms and hands!

I wonder is there a technique though? I was falling off horses any which way for years before I learnt how to do to it properly at 12 and it became an instinct. Maybe the same could be dome with the bike? Grassy hill and crash mats maybe?!!

The moment of bike disappearing happens quickly but the bit when I'm flying through the air happens really slow so i plan. Also picking a bit of ground to land on, a horsey habit from having to bail out, even though i have no control over that really at all!

Maybe the same could be dome with the bike? Grassy hill and crash mats maybe?!!

.. or these? :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4MGvrtMKDZXIG4B03jBFoaQFNK6w9JkEc36paCiLwIjDk5CSKmnUfjA

Admittedly not very aero...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

In London and have just happened upon the aftermath of a serious accident.
    Bike mangled in half and on the top of the front wheel of a large bus. Blood puddle on the ground.

Harrowing.

Got home from full time job and first bit of part time job and briefly sat staring at my good bike thinking how beautiful it is before going back out to (hopefully) finish up the part time gig for the night.

That's pretty normal right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Got home from full time job and first bit of part time job and briefly sat staring at my good bike thinking how beautiful it is before going back out to (hopefully) finish up the part time gig for the night.

Nope. You should have stayed out riding the bike until it was time to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

Depends, it's not a Trek is it?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Try freelancing and having an office at home. I want to get out ALL the time when I'm there. But work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hi Dr. Nick!

Well this will make you super envious then (pins from today):
    DaraghsPhone_000623_zps6aaacb4c.jpg

Fair play on getting back out on the bike. I have gel bar tape ready and waiting for my return! Can I ask have you just gotten out of your sling and onto the bike? Did you get physio? I am glad to hear you lived on your first cycle back. It'd be super interesting to hear how you get on, how long it takes to get back up to fitness. Good luck! How did yours happen?

Hi Gadetra can I ask how badly scarred are you after the surgery? I broke my collarbone in July and found out yesterday that I'm not healing and will have to have surgery. It feels like I've been our of action for ages! I can't wait to get out on the road for a spin. Turbo gets boring after 3 months. Roll on 2015. I've managed to get 9 stitches on my face in March, broke the collarbone in July and my radius in August!

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Hi Gadetra can I ask how badly scarred are you after the surgery? I broke my collarbone in July and found out yesterday that I'm not healing and will have to have surgery. It feels like I've been our of action for ages! I can't wait to get out on the road for a spin. Turbo gets boring after 3 months. Roll on 2015. I've managed to get 9 stitches on my face in March, broke the collarbone in July and my radius in August!

Oh no you poor thing :(

scaring hardly at all, it's very neat and tidy. It's just a line. It hasn't finished utter but I don't see it stretching too much as there isn't much of a pull on that area. It's just a thin line about 6 inches long.

Anyway chicks dig scars ;)

scaring hardly at all

I hope dudes dig them too :D

That's good about the small scar. I made the mistake of googling collarbone scar pictures and they were pretty gross.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IIRC I'm not sure that's a consideration for Solobally8;)

Anyway, just to make it clear, blokes don't mind them either, particularly if gained via some athletic prowess.....

You've certainly had a rough time - I remember the face injury being posted about. Were you back on (or perhaps more precisely off!) the bike when you broke the radius. Is it at the wrist or elbow end (mine was the wrist and that's the one bone that is taking a lot of time to settle down)?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thinking about it we should probably petition for a new sub-forum where those of us with injuries and related tales to regale can hang out - the number of bones broken by posters in this forum during 2015 is getting to ridiculous levels

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Beasty wrote: »
    Thinking about it we should probably petition for a new sub-forum where those of us with injuries and related tales to regale can hang out - the number of bones broken by posters in this forum during 2015 is getting to ridiculous levels

Confirmed - since his crash, Beasty can see the future :eek:

furiousox wrote: »
    Depends, it's not a Trek is it?

I definitely said 'good bike'.

@luskdoyle: if only I had some thunderbirds type fabtrapulation that could get me out on the bike in less than 10 minutes.

IIRC I'm not sure that's a consideration for Solobally8;)

Anyway, just to make it clear, blokes don't mind them either, particularly if gained via some athletic prowess.....

You've certainly had a rough time - I remember the face injury being posted about. Were you back on (or perhaps more precisely off!) the bike when you broke the radius. Is it at the wrist or elbow end (mine was the wrist and that's the one bone that is taking a lot of time to settle down)?

Back on the bike when I broke the collarbone, 5 weeks later I fell over my dog and broke the radius :o. I'm lucky though it was a hairline fracture at the elbow end and is healing nicely.

We really are a sorry lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

astana most be in the poo both iglinsky brothers on doping bans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I could have done with that in July, I was off the bike for 8 weeks. For some strange reason I was reluctant to post anything about it. I think I had visions of the thread turning into one of those cyclists against motorists.

In hindsight, it would have been therapeutic to have discussed what happened and how I recovered.:)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I hope dudes dig them too :D

That's good about the small scar. I made the mistake of googling collarbone scar pictures and they were pretty gross.

That they do.

ETA Well I don't know if they do or don't. I'm going for I don't think they care! ;)

I never thought of doing that, not sure I will either, too scary even now :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've never broken a bone. I'm beginning to question the wisdom of frequenting this forum.

I've never broken a bone. I'm beginning to question the wisdom of frequenting this forum.

Get out while you still can! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Was just looking at the weather forecast for Friday and it got me thinking what kind of wetsuit to get for the evening commute home. The alternative is speedos and flip-flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yep, there went my long-planned M2M ride. Thanks but no thanks, weather :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I managed to get to 44 years without breaking any then broke 3 in about 1 second one night in Oct 2012. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Learner driver comes across a cyclist on narrow road, instructor tells driver to over take as they're holding up traffic, then intervenes by braking http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057300563/1/#post92436978
    Instructors fails to educate driver that cyclist is traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My son is a learner. Last week we got a few beeps as he correctly waited for a safe place to pass a cyclist on a bendy road. I've also noticed a more impatient attitude from other drivers when I am driving the car with L plates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement