Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I managed to get to 44 years without breaking any then broke 3 in about 1 second one night in Oct 2012. :D
    Only broken bones on 3 occasions during my near 54 years - around 10 earlier this year due to a crash when racing. A broken wrist when falling off on ice a few years ago, and 3 breaks to the leg when I was run over about 49 years ago....

.... by a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Shattered both eye sockets, broke my jaw in 4 places - 2 top, 2 bottom, broke my nose badly, broke both cheek bones and broke some other assorted bits of my face that I don't know really know how to describe. I've got three metal plates in my face and under the skin you can feel pointy bits of bone, plates & screws :)

The consultant took photos for teaching as he said it was very unusual to see someone with that many broken bones in both sides of their face apart from road traffic accident fatalities.

All in the one snow-boarding accident!

And yet I'm still this beautiful! Just ask Buffalo, he'll vouch that I'm gorgeous...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Shattered both eye sockets, broke my jaw in 4 places - 2 top, 2 bottom, broke my nose badly, broke both cheek bones and broke some other assorted bits of my face that I don't know really know how to describe. I've got three metal plates in my face and under the skin you can feel pointy bits of bone, plates & screws

You give me shivers. Not in a good way. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I managed to get to 44 years without breaking any then broke 3 in about 1 second one night in Oct 2012. :D
    a mate of mine who used to be a rugby player finished his career with a tackle - he felt his cruciate go as he pivoted into the tackle, but completed it, and the other player fell on him and dislocated his shoulder and broke his arm a few inches below the shoulder in the process. all in the space of about one second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

For some bizarre reason I decided to go back to college. I swore the last time I finished studying that that was it, and never again would I even think about doing anything like that again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

lennymc wrote: »
    For some bizarre reason I decided to go back to college. I swore the last time I finished studying that that was it, and never again would I even think about doing anything like that again.....

You never learn do you ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Ordered a Rose Pro SL2000 on Aug 18th last.

It shipped from Germany Monday via DHL who handed it over to An Post yesterday.

Of course, now that it is on Irish soil there is a delay...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

quozl wrote: »
    All in the one snow-boarding accident!

This is not in the vein of the usual helmet question and saying you could have still been gorgeous if you had, but were you wearing one ? I never used to wear one skiing, but everyone I went with who snowboarded did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Quozl your post made me queasy. Are you affected by it now? Argh the pain of it must have been chronic. Did you get to choose who you wanted to look like when they rebuilt you?! :p

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This is not in the vein of the usual helmet question and saying you could have still been gorgeous if you had, but were you wearing one ? I never used to wear one skiing, but everyone I went with who snowboarded did.

Nope, wasn't wearing a helment but this was about 9 years ago and people were more lax about helmets then. I'd very likely have been better off wearing one but considering how lucky I feel about how it all worked out I'm not really sure that'd I'd change anything even if I could! Poor Schumacher was wearing a helmet and bad luck can really f*ck you over either way.

The ****wit who went into me at high speed from behind and caused the accident was wearing one and body armour! Fortunately he only hurt his wrist from the impact - I acted as his crumple zone :)

gadetra wrote: »
    Quozl your post made me queasy. Are you affected by it now? Argh the pain of it must have been chronic. Did you get to choose who you wanted to look like when they rebuilt you?! :p

I don't think it affects me now though I have a really poor memory which I've always wondered if it's related but I'd guess it's just me :) I don't remember having a bad memory before the accident but I am getting older!

There wasn't any pain at the time that I can recall and I stayed concious (lying down!) for however long it took the helicopter to arrive, so that must have been at least ten or fifteen minutes? After that I woke up in the hospital and there was plenty of morphine and a huge need to pee.

Unfortunately I look pretty much the same after the accident - except my nose is even less beautiful than it already was! I tried telling the doctors that I looked like Brad Pitt beforehand but they didn't seem to believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

lennymc wrote: »

Snap - same here. Nuts, can't believe what I wad thinking.

Work paying for a two year programme. I also get a very onerous study allowance which was unexpected. When I queried this I was informed that I received the highest study allocation as the exams are deemed very difficult. I believed that they would be a bit of a laugh - again what was I thinking - answer I wasn't thinking.

Two years and four exams of various types of maths and stats.
    Some of the stuff in my textbooks are more obtuse than my masters which was in economics and spent a significant amount of time on econometrics.

I should be shot.
    Lenny we might get a study group organised!!!
    We could bring turbos to relieve the boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

we must be nuts ROK ON. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Bloody Students.... clogging up the interwebs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

daragh_ wrote: »
    Bloody Students.... clogging up the interwebs.

Someone has to work to buy bikes so we can get them second hand :p

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Feckin students.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

youngones%20new.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Dat lean/angle though..

5dLAKva.png

My new bike is in Portlaoise. Tracking updated at 9:30 tonight. Doubt I'll have it by tomorrow though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gadetra wrote: »
    ....Did you get to choose who you wanted to look like when they rebuilt you?! :p
    You've brought me right back to Lee Majors in my idyllic childhood of the 1970's! :cool:
    "Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive....Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

quozl wrote: »
    I don't think it affects me now though I have a really poor memory ........ I don't remember having a bad memory

I think I see your problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

This morning's spin in the park got upgraded from 'near rabbit strike' to a Stag charging across the road barely a bike length ahead of me making some angry sounding noises.

Time to invest in some A2GR kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

This morning's spin in the park got upgraded from 'near rabbit strike' to a Stag charging across the road barely a bike length ahead of me making some angry sounding noises.

Time to invest in some A2GR kit...

LOL , the rut is on at the moment so there will be lots of stags running around roaring and not paying attention to what people / cars are in their way. They will also be spread out in areas you don't normally see them.
    Well worth slowing down if you are out in the Park during the dark hours. I clipped the rear end of a stag (easy now !) many years ago and I may as well have ridden straight into a wall. The mature stags are 100kg plus of muscle and bone.

fiacha wrote: »
    LOL , the rut is on at the moment...Well worth slowing down if you are out in the Park during the dark hours. I clipped the rear end of a stag (easy now !) many years ago and I may as well have ridden straight into a wall. The mature stags are 100kg plus of muscle and bone.

That you Paul? :D Is that why there is a "beef" between you?

This eejit. And for bonus points, the guy on the Dublin Bike who stops and waits at a red light

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

ThisRegard wrote: »
    the guy on the Dublin Bike who stops and waits at a red light

Right in the middle of a pedestrian crossing though. smh.

seany15 wrote: »
    Right in the middle of a pedestrian crossing though. smh.

Baby steps !

Woken up this morning by the postie with my new Rose Pro SL 2000. It's the 2015 model with the new 11speed 105. It's gorgeous :D

Of course it would have to be pissing down outside for the first time in weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My front disc brake screams like a slaughtered pig in the rain. No need to use a bike horn, I even got cars pulling off at the sound of me stopping today. :mad::mad:

I also don't know if they have less power when wet or is it me being too ashamed to use them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement