Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lg G2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

how much is it the nexuss 5 is nearly the same phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

@dublindeluge I bought my phone on the German Amazon for 450, I see it has been reduced to 420 atm. Though this is for the 16gb. Seems 500 euro is the price for the 32 gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

@dublindeluge I bought my phone on the German Amazon for 450, I see it has been reduced to 420 atm. Though this is for the 16gb. Seems 500 euro is the price for the 32 gb.

I see. So, did you get the 16GB version? How are you finding it? Most reviews online say that the 16GB might be a bit limited in capacity, that's mostly why I want to go for the 32GB, esp. because this phone doesn't have an SD card slot (you can't expand memory). I think I read somewhere that on the 16GB version you can actually only use around 10GB for your stuff (ie photos, videos, songs, movies, etc). How well do you manage with this space? Do you find it a bit restrictive or is it OK? If it isn't such a big deal, I might as well just go for the 16GB version...

Yes, I think it works out around 10.80 GB
    Obviously depends how you use the phone, I use a lot of cloud services so have no issues regarding space. I also use my tablet for downloading eg. Showbox.

As I said already the phone is very good. Main benefits for me is the screen, speed of the phone and battery.
    4.4 is supposed to be rolling out this month although I haven't received that yet. 4.2.2 is perfect though.

What phone are you currently using?

Oh god, I'm using a terrible phone, a HTC Explorer. It's horrible and old. The main problem is its tiny internal memory, 90 MB. I bought it because it was cheap and because I was under the false impression I was going to be able to mostly use the SD card for storing apps, music, etc. But it turns out many apps won't install on the SD card at all and those that do, use a little bit of main memory for some metadata anyway. Also, all emails, SMSs, etc. can only be stored on the main memory. That leaves the phone with very little memory to install any apps. Basically, you can only install very few apps, defeating the purpose of having a smartphone in the first place! I managed to install a custom ROM that kind of tricks the system into using the SD card as internal storage. But it's a hack and it breaks many apps. It's also very slow and well it does look quite shabby already.

When I researched phones I wanted one that would last me for many, many years to come, that would be future proof, that won't let me down, and that would give me an excellent android experience.

• Advertisement

Oh god, I'm using a terrible phone, a HTC Explorer. It's horrible and old. The main problem is its tiny internal memory, 90 MB. I bought it because it was cheap and because I was under the false impression I was going to be able to mostly use the SD card for storing apps, music, etc. But it turns out many apps won't install on the SD card at all and those that do, use a little bit of main memory for some metadata anyway. Also, all emails, SMSs, etc. can only be stored on the main memory. That leaves the phone with very little memory to install any apps. Basically, you can only install very few apps, defeating the purpose of having a smartphone in the first place! I managed to install a custom ROM that kind of tricks the system into using the SD card as internal storage. But it's a hack and it breaks many apps. It's also very slow and well it does look quite shabby already.

When I researched phones I wanted one that would last me for many, many years to come, that would be future proof, that won't let me down, and that would give me an excellent android experience.

Jeez man your in for some surprise when you get your hands on this beauty. It would be like going from that fiat punto into a Ferrari!

That sounds like a horrific phone, amazing how anyone can put up with that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zeroplay

Anyone using this phone on three network? Am getting horrible 3g data speeds. Phone is great otherwise though.

So, just ordered the phone on amazon.co.uk from a different seller. Let's see if I'm luckier this time.

@zeroplay: I'm on Three, so I'll let you know how it behaves when I get the phone. However, I think in general the internet connection on Three is not the fastest. By the way, are you able to listen to streaming radio (with using TuneIn Radio or a similar app) or is it way too slow?

So, just ordered the phone on amazon.co.uk from a different seller. Let's see if I'm luckier this time.

Did you order From LG Electronics, they have the phone listed for 420 euro on Amazon.co.UK?
    Also did you go for the 16 or 32 GB?

I ordered the 32 GB version in black from K.C.B. on amazon.co.uk. It was 404 GBP.

• Advertisement

So I got my phone today. I'm quite impressed with the phone. It's amazing! Fast, responsive, beautiful to look at, functional, takes beautiful pics, sound quality is excellent, excellent video quality when streaming off my satellite box, etc. I have been using the wifi mostly, but hopefully I'll get more 3G usage over the Three network over the next few days. But the little bit I've been using the 3G for has been reasonably fast. For example, Internet browsing and Internet radio streaming on 3G is good, haven't tried video streaming yet. Quite happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone who is with Three got their G2 working on 4G? Three have 4G now and the option to enable it on the G2 isn't available in the network menu. If you put in 3845#*802# it brings you to a secret menu where if you select the 'LTE Only' option is just says Not Supported. From looking around on XDA and the likes it seems that 4G is disabled by default on any G2(D802) bought in the UK which is where I got mine sim free. To enable you will need to flash a third party ROM or else maybe the Kit Kat update supposedly coming in the next couple of months might enable it? Because Three UK offer the G2 and they are also releasing 4G soon it might be possible to somehow get a hold of the update that they are rolling out Three UK G2 devices?? I'm wondering if any of you who bought your G2 from mainland Europe can you enable 4G/LTE?

Has anyone who is with Three got their G2 working on 4G? Three have 4G now and the option to enable it on the G2 isn't available in the network menu. If you put in 3845#*802# it brings you to a secret menu where if you select the 'LTE Only' option is just says Not Supported. From looking around on XDA and the likes it seems that 4G is disabled by default on any G2(D802) bought in the UK which is where I got mine sim free. To enable you will need to flash a third party ROM or else maybe the Kit Kat update supposedly coming in the next couple of months might enable it? Because Three UK offer the G2 and they are also releasing 4G soon it might be possible to somehow get a hold of the update that they are rolling out Three UK G2 devices?? I'm wondering if any of you who bought your G2 from mainland Europe can you enable 4G/LTE?

Have you got the 4g enabled sim?
    Also are you on a 4g price plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭palec69

Jarren wrote: »
    They are based in Hong Kong ,don't forget to add vat + duty+ shipping agency admin charges .

theres no duty charges for electronics from china just VAT( if the customs decide to open the box), handling fee also applies only if you get caught by customs( 6 euro with AnPost).You do the math...

Have you got the 4g enabled sim?
    Also are you on a 4g price plan?

I asked Three about whether I needed a 4G enabled sim and they didn't seem to think so? They are offering 4G free for all PAYG and billpay users until this June so no need of a special price plan.

Looks like 4G on Three starts from tomorrow and will be free for all customers (pay as you go and billpay) till 31st July:

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/

As I just mentioned in my previous post, according to the Three website, free 4G is active from tomorrow. However, I just tried activating it on my LG G2 using youcancallmeal's instructions and it worked! 4G is working for me. This is what I did:
    1. Go to phone and dial 3845#*802#
    2. You'll get "hidden menu". Select LTE-Only
    3. Select Modem Settings
    4. RAT Selection
    5. LTE only

There are other options at (5), and I suppose I should probably select instead "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto", so you can move to GSM when 4G is not available and WCDMA when roaming in places like the US, etc.

By the way, I'm in Dublin. 4G on Three is only available in a few places...

As I just mentioned in my previous post, according to the Three website, free 4G is active from tomorrow. However, I just tried activating it on my LG G2 using youcancallmeal's instructions and it worked! 4G is working for me. This is what I did:
    1. Go to phone and dial 3845#*802#
    2. You'll get "hidden menu". Select LTE-Only
    3. Select Modem Settings
    4. RAT Selection
    5. LTE only

There are other options at (5), and I suppose I should probably select instead "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto", so you can move to GSM when 4G is not available and WCDMA when roaming in places like the US, etc.

By the way, I'm in Dublin. 4G on Three is only available in a few places...

What's your software version? Mine is D80210f-EUR-XX

What's your software version? Mine is D80210f-EUR-XX

It's D80210e-ESA-XX

I think "ESA" might mean East South Asia. The leaflets and stickers that came with the phone were in Thai. So I think it might have been imported from there. The package I received came from London, though.

It's D80210e-ESA-XX

I think "ESA" might mean East South Asia. The leaflets and stickers that came with the phone were in Thai. So I think it might have been imported from there. The package I received came from London, though.

Yup that explains it. Guess I'll just have to flash another ROM to get it working?

• Advertisement

Yup that explains it. Guess I'll just have to flash another ROM to get it working?

Maybe, but are you in an area where 4G has been rolled out? Maybe you want to see if its available in your area first.

Maybe, but are you in an area where 4G has been rolled out? Maybe you want to see if its available in your area first.

Yeah I've been in and around Dublin city for the last week. I know its definitely disabled on my device because I don't get the option in my network mode settings:

290931.png

I get those exact same 3 options when I go to that menu "Network options". Try clicking on "Network operators" instead, then "Search networks" and see if you get "3 RAT: LTE" and select that. You might need to try several times, waiting a few minutes in between. I had to do it a couple of times myself.

Also, I find that 4G coverage is not 100% complete even in parts of Dublin 2. Also, sometimes it comes and sometimes it goes... it's a bit sketcy still.

OK, it looks like when you go to that "preferred network mode", the phone overrides your LTE settings. Try following these steps in this order:

1. On phone, dial 3845#*802#
    2. Select "LTE / GSM" (Hidden Menu -> LTE-Only -> Modem Settings -> RAT Selection -> LTE / GSM)
    3. Go to "Mobile networks" menu, then: Network operators -> Search networks -> select "3 RAT : LTE" -- If this option does not appear in menu, repeat from step 1.

I get those exact same 3 options when I go to that menu "Network options". Try clicking on "Network operators" instead, then "Search networks" and see if you get "3 RAT: LTE" and select that. You might need to try several times, waiting a few minutes in between. I had to do it a couple of times myself.

Also, I find that 4G coverage is not 100% complete even in parts of Dublin 2. Also, sometimes it comes and sometimes it goes... it's a bit sketcy still.

As I stated before I can't get into the LTE part of the hidden menu, just get the 'Not Supported' error message and there is no option for Three LTE in the network search where I've very good signal in Dublin city centre. I'll keep checking for the LTE network but I'm still pretty certain 4G/LTE is simply not enabled in my software version. It's a shame I can't find someone who has the same software version and is with three? I'm reading guides on how to root and install a different ROM so will report back in a few days when I've done that.

I see. Yes, it looks like your ROM is not supporting it. Good luck in updating it. Or perhaps you can wait till LG rolls out Kit Kat.

As I stated before I can't get into the LTE part of the hidden menu, just get the 'Not Supported' error message and there is no option for Three LTE in the network search where I've very good signal in Dublin city centre. I'll keep checking for the LTE network but I'm still pretty certain 4G/LTE is simply not enabled in my software version. It's a shame I can't find someone who has the same software version and is with three? I'm reading guides on how to root and install a different ROM so will report back in a few days when I've done that.

Any luck with that yet? Im with 3 and have same software version.

zeroplay wrote: »
    Any luck with that yet? Im with 3 and have same software version.

Nah didn't bother flashing a new ROM with Kit kat supposedly very close? I'm going to bring it in to Three this week and ask them to put one of their 4G enabled sims in it to ensure that isn't it? My sim card is about 3 years old so might be a chance that's the problem?

Nah didn't bother flashing a new ROM with Kit kat supposedly very close? I'm going to bring it in to Three this week and ask them to put one of their 4G enabled sims in it to ensure that isn't it? My sim card is about 3 years old so might be a chance that's the problem?

I only got my sim last month so I dont think thats the problem. Might see if kitkat fixes it too, dont want to mess up my warranty by flashing roms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

I see. Yes, it looks like your ROM is not supporting it. Good luck in updating it. Or perhaps you can wait till LG rolls out Kit Kat.

Hi, interested in this phone, does the KitKat update not have to be rolled out through a phone operator - how will we get it in Ireland if we just have jelly Bean on current model ?

Would I be better waiting to buy one from Amazon that has Kit kat already installed ?

Sorry if the question seems stupid !

Advertisement