Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biker / Jeep Incident - New York (uncivil posts get a paddling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

It's you driving at night time on your way to Calais and you see a Human chain across the road in front of you and then you look in the rear view mirror and you see people closing in behind you.

These friendly gents could just be looking for directions.

I know what I would do.

Mod note: this user a got a red card. Ban next.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

any truth they're rebranding the Rage Rover for 2014? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Strituck wrote: »

Another one advocating driving over and possibly killing people.

Even if you meant it in jest will you ever cop the feck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Eight Ball wrote: »

I am absolutely advocating driving over somebody if they have me surrounded and are trying to hurt me or my family and that is the only way for me to escape.

Yes the video was put up in Jest, i think that is pretty obvious.

I have already stated where I stand on this incident, and that is on the side of the RR driver, despite the fact that I ride a bike regularly.

Eight Ball wrote: »

So basically if you were faced with a choice between stopping and being robbed, beaten and possibly killed along with your family or driving through or over the people attempting to carry out the attack that you would stop and allow them to do as they please, because you are worried about the welfare of a gang of criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Bikers at fault, looking for trouble and they found it, no sympathy whatsoever for the prick that got his legs broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone bringing a weapon out with them is a fookin scroate. Scroates deserve all they get and I have zero sympathy for any of them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

To summarize:

The Irish Government puts Irish citizens in danger with high taxes on 'anti-biker-gang' vehicles. :P

I was behind the bikers solely based on the first few seconds on the vid. Looked like a big day out, everyone having fun on their bikes. But only delving abit further did i uncover the truth and i probably would have made it my business to run them all over.

I have no time for scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Damien M

P.C. wrote: »
    The problem with this (and related threads) is that is all comes down to the us Vs them mentality.

"We do not have enough information to make a judgement."
    Yes we do, there are around a dozen videos of a pack of thugs harassing innocent motorists. Try Liveleak, and Youtube.

"We have no way of knowing what started this whole thing off."
    A biker break-checked(?) the jeep-its there in black and white. A pack of thugs surrounded a jeep and one slowed down in order to 'bump' into the jeep. Watch the video of this.

"We have no way of knowing who was right or who was wrong.
    "
    Course we do-the guy whose vehicle was taxed, insured, roadworthy and who had a licence to drive such! Simple really !.

Forgive my quotation error still finding my way on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

I don't usually comment outside of the motorbike forum but on this occasion I think the driver of the Range Rover is right to get out of there, specially with his wife and kid in the car. As someone already mentioned we don't know for sure if this started miles back with driver road rage and who was the main culprit at the start but those lads were dick heads looking for hassle and I have no sympathy for them. As a father of two girls myself Imagine your precious child screaming and crying for her daddy to do something and your wife scared to death. This could scar the child mentally for a long time I would do what I could to make it safe again.
    One of the many reasons I do not go on large scale bike runs anymore is behavior that gives bikers a bad name.

Imagine your precious child screaming and crying for her daddy to do something and your wife scared to death.

Excellently put mate-but do-gooders are averse to feeling protective towards family like that. They would get out of the car, swap pleasantries and urge the bike thugs that they feel their pain, they understand their anguish at being socially deprived , how society has alienated them and marginalised them and then they would all hug each other, and urge each other to work for a more mutually beneficial society where no biker gets left behind . LMIOA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

ANYONE who says they would simply stop and wait it out is a fool. If what happened at the end of that video had happened at the start I think my wife would look at me completely differently from then on, she wouldn't think she was safe with me as I hadn't protected her when we got attacked ESPECIALLY when we had the baby in the car too.

His bigger mistake was going into the city maybe he was trying to get to the cop shop but I know I would have been on the blower looking for immediate police help(he probably was) I would not have gone anywhere with traffic. His best defence was his 2.5t vehicle. No biker will be stupid enough to take you on while you were still moving.

The reason he should/has/will not be charged is that video, it's self defence, it was a deliberate act by the biker, to say otherwise is to ignore VIDEO evidence. He did the right thing his wife and child will appreciate that for the rest of their lives. The bikers are lucky their stupidity didn't get them killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ANYONE who says they would simply stop and wait it out is a fool. If what happened at the end of that video had happened at the start I think my wife would look at me completely differently from then on, she wouldn't think she was safe with me as I hadn't protected her when we got attacked ESPECIALLY when we had the baby in the car too.

His bigger mistake was going into the city maybe he was trying to get to the cop shop but I know I would have been on the blower looking for immediate police help(he probably was) I would not have gone anywhere with traffic. His best defence was his 2.5t vehicle. No biker will be stupid enough to take you on while you were still moving.

The reason he should/has/will not be charged is that video, it's self defence, it was a deliberate act by the biker, to say otherwise is to ignore VIDEO evidence. He did the right thing his wife and child will appreciate that for the rest of their lives. The bikers are lucky their stupidity didn't get them killed.

It was reported that he had put a call in to the cops at 1:57PM, but I'm not sure at what point in the video that is, but I believe it was just before.

The passenger side tyre was destroyed by the time he was stopped, so he couldn't have gone much further - maybe he was hoping to make it to somewhere safer, with cops around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

Not a great fan of the American Justice system, but this gets the 'thumbs up' from me. Instant justice at no cost to the taxpayer.

Lessons Learnt : never bring a bike to an SUV fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

When I first saw the 20 or 30 second video of the RR driving over the bikes I thought the driver was a xxxxsucker. Plan and simple.

Then I saw more stories coming about the bikers and what they get up to during these "rallies".

My opinion has changed 180 degrees. The bikers are a shower of scum that deserve everything they get.

YOU play with fire you get burned.

Oh and the reason I though the RR driver was a d1ck in the 1st place was of a 20 sec video. And being a biker myself I sometimes feel like doing what the group were doing in that segment of video.

Until I saw these......
    http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-footage-that-the-nyc-bikers-didnt-want-you-to-see-1435594427

http://jalopnik.com/running-over-bike-riders-is-in-no-way-justifiable-i-1427281025

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/10/01/update-biker-arrested-for-causing-new-york-range-rover-sport-incident/

so no, no pity from me towards the bikers who give ordinary decent bikers a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

The videos showing a group of grown men revving their engines in an attempt to intimidate others is genuinely cringe-worthy.

Really wish the guy in the RR would have ran over and paralyzed a few more of the stupid c*nts.

Mod note - user banned, please don't be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

If what we see in the video is correct then I agree the driver was in fear for his life and most would have done the same, however I have seen an interview with one of the bikers yesterday and he claims the range rover driver was driving like a lunatic and that's why he was brake checked.

Either way the guy who is paralysed is in the purple top and had nothing to do with the brake check so the comments towards him seem ott. They are clearly renegades anyway and their driving in general is a disgrace.

However as someone who drives a car everyday and has ridden bikes, your average car driver on the roads has absolutely no regard for bikers, you rarely see people check their blind spots and many times I have seen people on bikes comes seconds from being smashed due to careless driving and I have nearly been smashed.

Sadly alot of the comments on here seem to match up with that attitude.

Goose81 wrote: »
    If what we see in the video is correct then I agree the driver was in fear for his life and most would have done the same, however I have seen an interview with one of the bikers yesterday and he claims the range rover driver was driving like a lunatic and that's why he was brake checked.

This interview?

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/10/02/erin-intv-biker-witness-from-road-rage-brawl.cnn

with this guy?

http://www.justmugshots.com/new-york/new-york/20753772

:pac:

Mr.David wrote: »
    There seems to be a whiff of anti 4x4 or anti RR sentiment in the thread too......wonder if some people would still castigate the RR driver had he been in a Nissan Micra....?

There is indeed, all-the gooders who would have got out and had a chat with the 50 or so thugs, are jealous of those who work hard and party hard, and can afford to drive hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

Whats the second link supposed to show, someones name?
    No it wasnt that interview.

Im not defending them anyway, all il say is this thread is sad to see some people taking seeming delight in someone ending up paralysed.

If anyone takes anything from this being in the media at the least let it be to check your blind spots and look out for people on bikes especially coming into winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Im not defending them anyway, all il say is this thread is sad to see some people taking seeming delight in someone ending up paralysed.

If anyone takes anything from this being in the media at the least let it be to check your blind spots and look out for people on bikes especially coming into winter.

:confused:

If anyone takes anything from this it should be to steer clear of gangs of assholes on bikes in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I think people are more happy that the family are relatively ok and it was only one of the scumbags that ended up being seriously injured. It has pretty much nothing to do with a general lack of awareness of motorcyclists by drivers.......

And i think if anyone takes anything from it it would be that if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in this situation stay away from congested areas if possible. And take whatever action is necessary to protect yourself and your family.

It does show a person's name, and the crime they were arrested for. Could be the interviewee, I really don't know.. Unfortunate coincidence if not.

Do you have a link to the interview you saw?

I agree.

Look out for mobs on bikes, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

LOL, that's what you got from all this? Check your mirrors? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Either way the guy who is paralysed is in the purple top and had nothing to do with the brake check so the comments towards him seem ott. They are clearly renegades anyway and their driving in general is a disgrace.
    He was part of a gang that was going around intimidating people and causing damage to property. Someone was going to get injured sooner or later, if he didn't want to be that person he should have gone home.

They're idiots of the highest order, you don't try to intimidate a range rover with a sports bike, that's only going to end one way. If I was the RR driver they'd be a lot more injured driver because I'd be side swiping any bike that tried to get in front of me, wife and kid in the car. Those bikers are scum.

ScumLord wrote: »
    He was part of a gang that was going around intimidating people and causing damage to property. Someone was going to get injured sooner or later, if he didn't want to be that person he should have gone home.

They're idiots of the highest order, you don't try to intimidate a range rover with a sports bike, that's only going to end one way. If I was the RR driver they'd be a lot more injured driver because I'd be side swiping any bike that tried to get in front of me, wife and kid in the car. Those bikers are scum.

Especially when they forced him off the highway. No gang of bikers is going to prevent me from taking the route I want if I'm driving a RR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

It was a group of bikers out on a run having a little fun that was going too far. Broke traffic laws until one guy in a RR decided he wasn't going to be intimated and used the SUV weight and power as a weapon and take the law into his own hands.

Was the first biker who braked test the RR provoked earlier off camera by the RR driver

There was also a van in the picture that none of the bikers showed the slightest bit of interest in.

So I would presume there must have been a reason they singled out the RR.

from watching the video it was road rage that was escalating out of control. And the first person to strike another was the RR driver when he rear ended the biker.

No one is saying the bikers where innocent but driving over the first biker was just wrong.

I can seen the motorcycle gang looking to extract their own justice after seeing their mate crushed and the RR driver knew this too, thats why he ran over another biker.

What if this was here with a group of cyclist.
    Beep the horn because they are all over the road. A couple of them block my progress so I bump one off his bike. His mates reacts and I just drive over him to get away. ..

Sure be lots of clips showing cyclists breaking lights riding on footpaths against flow of traffic.

Somehow I doubt it would be so cut and dried here when the garda turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

LOL at the above! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

visual wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt it would be so cut and dried here when the garda turn up
    garda_everywhere.png

Advertisement