Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biker / Jeep Incident - New York (uncivil posts get a paddling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Viserion wrote: »
    How do you know they had the intention of causing him harm? From what I see in the video there is no "harm"until he runs over a few of the bikers.

They already caused him harm by the dick slapping on his brakes, the child could have been injured due to his reckless driving. You don't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I didn't see the part of the video where the bikers were firing shots at the jeep.

You also didn't see the part where the bikers drag the guy out of his jeep and slash his face with knives, or beat the crap out of him.

Convenient that, isn't it? How the video filmed by the bikers shows only things that are of benefit to the bikers?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

visual wrote: »
    Your perception is odd. The only time his RR was attacked was after he had drove over two motorcyclists on two occasions.

Both times he used his vehicle as a weapon

There was nothing to stop him calling for help and to keep the jeep rolling with doors locked.

When some one "check brakes" the rules of the road still apply. He continues to keep driving too close and using the RR size to force his will.

His wife should consider leaving him as a nutter in a big 4x4 using it as a weapon can't be a very rash man.

When he spend off he didn't even floor it anywhere near the RR top speed. Nor did he lock his doors.

The only time he had any excuse to use the vehicle in defence was when his window was smashed at the end of video clip.

I have driven both types of vehicles and know how vulnerable motorcyclists are.

I seen cyclists act the maggot in traffic here including blocking and hitting cars. But I wouldn't expect the car driver to run them over.

The first time he stopped they blocked him in and tried to open the door of his car. Thats attacking him.

How exactly do you suggest he keeps driving if a bunch of bikers have stopped in front of him? Drive over them? ok fine, thats what he did, so we agree.

He wasnt using it in self defence, he was running the phuck away...he wasnt attacking anyone, he wasnt swerving to try and hit people. How you people cannot see that is beyond me.

I dont think he was worrying about what speed he was doing or if his doors are locked. Locked doors with smashed windows are not so useful.

Also it wasnt one cyclist, it was a large gathering of intimidating bikers, most of whom had no licence to identify them with.

But Im sure through rose tinted biker glasses they were salt of the earth lovely fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Looked like a carjacking manoeuvre by a bunch of scum bags, he should have floored it through them straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Viserion

GreeBo wrote: »
    I didnt ask what they did, I asked *why* they did it.
    We know why he drove over them, to escape. The beat the crap out of him...why?

Who cares what happened?
    Is there a reason why you should be allowed to beat and stab a man now?

Is there a reason why you should be allowed run people over now?

I can only base my opinion on the video and that video does not show me any excuse for the jeep driver running over numerous bikes and riders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

visual wrote: »
    When he spend off he didn't even floor it anywhere near the RR top speed. Nor did he lock his doors.

It's a bit hard to reach the top speed in a range rover when a group of bikers have slashed your tyres.

It's a bit hard to reach the top speed in a range rover when a group of bikers have slashed your tyres.

How do you know his tyres were slashed at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I can only base my opinion on the video and that video does not show me any excuse for the jeep driver running over numerous bikes and riders.

Yeah if they are intent on beating the crap out of you and have prevented your escape by surrounding you...I thought that was obvious?

Ok, so please explain how the driver was supposed to get away from them when they have forced him to a stop and surrounded him to prevent him from moving *without* driving over them/their bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I definitely would not have stopped if I was in his place. Thankfully he's recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

I didn't see the part of the video where the bikers were firing shots at the jeep.

Grand so, it went over your head.

And again. I didn't make any reference to "the bikers firing shots at the jeep". Not sure why you think I did, though it did seem to save you having to say if there was a situation where you would use a truck as a weapon.

Nor when you escalated from Jeep to Truck, did I come back with some asinine comment about not seeing that in the video, because that would have been kinda childish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

kona wrote: »
    If this was Ireland the victim could be up for some serious jail time for what he did.

Have to wonder why the **** he came off the motorway into NY , Id have stayed on it and called the cops. Id let the 2 1/2 tons of SUV protect me and whoever else. Running over people is retarded no matter how much GTA you play or how much of a Hero you are!

if you look at the video he was blocked off by bikers and forced off the motorway, also when he was driving at a crawl bikers got off their vehicles and attacked the SUV.

I'm a cager and while I'm cautious that we do not know the full story - from what we can see the bikers were mainly in the wrong, it looks like either the SUV driver is arrogant/rude and offended one of the bikers somehow (there was a suggestion that he had tipped one of the bikers on another forum) - in my opinion this is why one of them "brake tested" in front of him - others joined in support and surrounded the SUV and the driver obviously felt pressured/panicked/threatened ....and then the attacks on the SUV start.

its possible that the SUV initially annoyed the bikers, but even if he did it in no way excuses the behaviour of the bikers, they broke several laws and in my opinion the SUV driver was justified in his behaviour when he drove over those blocking his path, I also think he should have driven over more of them so he could stay on the motorway until police arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It was the only way to escape, even then he held back too much. He should have floored it through traffic until the police arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

and the rest of us choose to base our opinion on the many news reports giving details of what happened and witness testimony of past incidents with these and similar thugs known in the area who use exactly the same tactics shown in the video to extort and threaten people.

but of course you'll keep ignoring all of that because it doesn't fit in with your view of these poor innocent bikers out for a leisurely bike ride who were mown down by an insane maniac in a mad max truck. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I can't imagine the panic the driver of the RR must have felt. His wife and kid in the car, and surrounded by a gang of bikers who are trying to get the doors open. I'd have floored it myself, it was the only option open to him.

He's lucky to be alive, the video cuts off just before he is dragged out of the car and they begin to knife him.

You can see at the beginning of the video that one of the bikers drove in front of him and brake-tested him, which led to the SUV hitting him before stopping. That's a pretty stupid move by a biker, an SUV isn't going to stop that quickly. There are other videos from previous "events" organised by these bikers with them beating up other motorists.

vibe666 wrote: »
    and the rest of us choose to base our opinion on the many news reports giving details of what happened and witness testimony of past incidents with these and similar thugs known in the area who use exactly the same tactics shown in the video to extort and threaten people.

but of course you'll keep ignoring all of that because it doesn't fit in with your view of these poor innocent bikers out for a leisurely bike ride who were mown down by an insane maniac in a mad max truck. :rolleyes:

"Poor innocent bikers"??? Where are the poor innocent bikers in that video?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

P.C. wrote: »
    The problem with this (and related threads) is that is all comes down to the us Vs them mentality.

We do not have enough information to make a judgement.

We have no way of knowing what started this whole thing off.

We have no way of knowing who was right or who was wrong.

To be honest, from reading the related news articles, the selective editing of the Youtube clip uploaded by the bikers and the fact that the NYPD have seen fit to charge some of the bikers and not the driver of the RR we can make a fairly reasonable presumption of who was right and who was wrong in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

not as retarded as being part of a gang of thugs and thinking you can brake test a range rover on a bike and not get the sharp end of the stick. :rolleyes:

I think you'l find it is retarded even more so with your family in the back.

He could have avoided it by paying some cash, then he wouldnt have had the **** kicked outa him, a knife in the face , a fairly traumatised wife and kid and a Range Rover in Rag order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

How do you know his tyres were slashed at that point?

It's been reported that the police said they pounded the windows and starting slashing the tyres, causing the driver to take off.

What would you do??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

He could have avoided it by paying some cash, then he wouldnt have had the **** kicked outa him, a knife in the face , a fairly traumatised wife and kid and a Range Rover in Rag order.

Right, so when somebody tries to steal from you your advice is to meekly hand over what they want to take? :confused:

They were already trying to brake windows and slash tyres, would you get out off the car?
    No chance, so was he suppose to sit there waiting for them to smash the windows?

• Advertisement

there's no chance in hell i would have stopped for anything other than an army of cops with that lot surrounding me and i imagine he thought the same thing.

at the time he had no idea if they wanted to rob him, steal his car, rape his wife or just kill them all. this wasn't connemara, it was new york and plenty of all of the above happen daily and when you are surrounded by a mob of bikers threatening you and trying to force you to stop, you don't hang around with your family in the car waiting to see which one is going to happen to you.

P_1 wrote: »
    Right, so when somebody tries to steal from you your advice is to meekly hand over what they want to take? :confused:

eh well obviously you assess the situation.

1 v 1, probably have a go, even a gang of 4 id probably smack the biggest and run.

Me and a infant noway am I getting involved, Im responsible for the childs safety, so yea Id hand over what little id have on me. Ill get it back monday morning, Im sure yer man wast short of a few $$$. Whats worth more? a night out or your face/family possibly life.

Obviously everybody in here is a ****ing hero so Id fully expect them to just segal it and hero their way out.

Look where thats got this "Hero".

(just an aside, I wonder would he have been such a hero without the bigger car)

eh well obviously you assess the situation.

1 v 1, probably have a go, even a gang of 4 id probably smack the biggest and run.

Me and a infant noway am I getting involved, Im responsible for the childs safety, so yea Id hand over what little id have on me. Ill get it back monday morning, Im sure yer man wast short of a few $$$. Whats worth more? a night out or your face/family possibly life.

Obviously everybody in here is a ****ing hero so Id fully expect them to just segal it and hero their way out.

Look where thats got this "Hero".

(just an aside, I wonder would he have been such a hero without the bigger car)

What does any of that have to do with the story in this thread?

there's no chance in hell i would have stopped for anything other than an army of cops with that lot surrounding me and i imagine he thought the same thing.

at the time he had no idea if they wanted to rob him, steal his car, rape his wife or just kill them all. this wasn't connemara, it was new york and plenty of all of the above happen daily and when you are surrounded by a mob of bikers threatening you and trying to force you to stop, you don't hang around with your family in the car waiting to see which one is going to happen to you.

Its not hollywood!! how long will they stop or slow on a freeway for? it isnt SOA they want easy money, just like the scum that do the same stunt here.

Look at the mess he has caused all for what? I think he could have handled it a bit better which wouldnt have led to him getting ****ed up and causing such a mess. Sometimes you need to stay calm (yea I know easier said than done)

When you think about it them bikers must be seriously thick as well as being scum. Like not only were they brake testing and surrounding a range rover when it was moving slowly but the were surrounding him at high speed too and shepherding him off the freeway.

If he wasn't so restrained and he didn't want to leave the free way (a decision that he quite possibly should have made) he could have taken out a heap of then bikers, at speed, with one turn of the wheel and it would have ended very badly for them yet they were stupid enough to ignore this and drive along side him.
    Its not hollywood!! how long will they stop or slow on a freeway for? it isnt SOA they want easy money, just like the scum that do the same stunt here.

Look at the mess he has caused all for what? I think he could have handled it a bit better which wouldnt have led to him getting ****ed up and causing such a mess. Sometimes you need to stay calm (yea I know easier said than done)

No way should you pander to criminals, I'd rather plough my way out every time rather than give them a cent. They may think twice about doing it again now, if everyone just hands over money they will never stop.

If you are face to face with a gang it might be different but in RR vs motorbike show down, I'd take my chances in the RR.

What does any of that have to do with the story in this thread?

somebody asked what id do in such a situation. Its in the big blue box above my post.:confused:

and once you've handed over your wallet and they decide that it wasn't enough and that they really like your car and your wife and drag you out of the car and stab/shoot you, before driving off with your missus and kid still in the car to have their wicked way with her before killing them too and burning out your motor with your family still inside whilst you lay bleeding on the road, do you still think you made the right decision?

or would you just get the f**k out of dodge as fast as possible and hope you find the cops or they find you before anything bad happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I know the road very well that this happens on, The West Side Highway. Why he got off it I do not know. Just keep driving and call the police. He's lucky to have escaped with his life, driving into Washington Heights where he would obviously be cornered is nearly suicide. There is no way in hell I would have stopped, for anything.

It's a pity he didn't run over more of them. If he had killed 20 of them I wouldn't have any problem with it whatsoever. Scumbags.

They were already trying to brake windows and slash tyres, would you get out off the car?
    No chance, so was he suppose to sit there waiting for them to smash the windows?

I dont think they were to be honest, try slash a SUV tyre at pressure, Its not like bursting a Balloon.

• Advertisement

somebody asked what id do in such a situation. Its in the big blue box above my post.:confused:

Just checking that you actually think handing over money while they are pounding on the windows and slashing your tyres is going to make any difference ?
    It's in New York, on a motorway with only bikers around you and you think opening the door yo give them money would be the clever thing to do?
    Stupid

Advertisement