Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

belcarra wrote: »
    Conditions were perfect today. A little warm when in the sunshine but wouldn't complain too much. Just not enough endurance/miles at mp and the legs started tightening up around 32km. Happy enough anyways.
    Off to watch the oh come home now. Told her not to go faster than sub 6/km and see how long she lasts at that. Most of the way hopefully!

Well done to all the other Irish folk out here!
    Passed a lad from Trim at around 28km whose hamstring was giving him jib but he was in great spirits so hopefully he'll make it home!

Well done J, and congrats to R too - looks like she was well coached!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Lila wrote: »
    Done! Hurt like hell but worth it for a shiny new PB of 3:15:38. My fastest was Dublin 3 years ago at 3:27:06 so delighted with the improvement. Never again though - the last 10 miles were tough but the final 3 were sheer agony.

Well done everyone. And what about Lizzie Lee - AMAZING! Berlin was buzzing today but still think nothing matches the support in Dublin.

Fantastic running today everyone, congrats. And Lila, you should be trotting over here with that lovely shiny PB shouldn't you?! Well done, what a great time!!

Enjoy the weissbiers tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

Woke this morning at 6.30 after a decent sleep. Down for breakfast and back up to the room to chill out.

Weather was clear, sunny with a small breeze.
    This was my 5th marathon 3 x Dublin and 1 x frankfurt last year with a PB of 2.55.44
    I have never seen so many people in one place for a sporting event.
    I got into a good place on the start line. The 3 hour pacer were for some reason starting ahead of everyone in the 2.40-2.50 section- a sign of things to come!

Any way with nerves under control the elites were let off.
    I passed the start line approx 1.30 later.
    The first 5k was mayhem, the 3 hour pacers were bombing along at 6.30 pace! with a massive group following. I could not get past. The sheer numbers of people chopping and changing meant i could not get into my rhythm, i knew i had to pass them. I was approx 30 seconds behind target going through 5k. It took me until 10km to pass them.
    At this stage i was feeling really comfortable but behind target. At 15km i was still off target. I stuck top my plan of taking gels every 4 miles.
    I had to stop for a pit stop just before half way.
    13.1 completed in 1.27.

The pace naturally picked up from 13-15 with constant sub 6.30/mile pace. At this stage i was feeling comfortable and in control.

15-18. Again naturally picked up the pace and took a caffeine gel. It took about 5 minutes to kick in and then i felt i was in the 'zone'- cadence and form were good. I was going at sub 6.20 pace at this stage.

From 20 on i really started to push banging out 6.18, 6.12, 6.12, 6.13, 6.10.

I was starting to struggle from 25m. The last 2k wasn't pretty but eventually crossed the line in 2.51.14!
    6.28 avg pace and a 3 minute negative split.

In reflection i don't think i am a sub 2.50 runner. I emptied the tank completely and was starting to go slower over the last 2k, so i think i have found my limit,.

As a marathon, i didn't like Berlin. Too many people and a fairly boring course. I preferred Frankfurt all the twists and turns included.

well done to one and all today. I met so many fantastic Irish runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

- 75 secs (3 secs per mile)
    - Pit Stop (time lost ?)
    - Being able to do those splits after 20 miles.
    - Getting held up for first 5k

To say that you are not a sub 2:50 runner. Yes not today but you will be some day very soon.

I hope to do Berlin next year and I would be annoyed if that happened to me.

Great run, moving in the right direction. Enjoy your evening. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

sideswipe wrote: »
    Best of luck folks. Looking forward to the off now.

Weather looking good- no excuses.......one goal, sub 3:10 or go home!!!

Hope everyone gets what they are looking for!

Well I'm home :) Had to change plans last week for a quick retreat so no german beer or rugby for me :mad:

Happy with my 3:12:57. The congestion at the start was tough going. Kept telling myself to relax and not waste energy weaving, an easy start would stand to me.

Lost a couple of mins over the first 15K or so and started trying to real them back but was finding it hard to hold on to goal pace after half way. Had to dig in over the last 5k but managed to hold it together for a 3 min PB.

Lots of food for thought from this race and training cycle, lots of positives but some need for changes in approach also. Think I need to really focus on some shorter distances for a while before thinking about another marathon.

Well done to everybody who ran today. Great to read back the thread from earlier to see how the top Irish lads (and girl) got on.

Just looking at my Garmin trace and my average heart rate was 88% of max. Anybody know what the optimal rate should be for a marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just looking at my Garmin trace and my average heart rate was 88% of max. Anybody know what the optimal rate should be for a marathon?

As much as you can hold!!
    Well done on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Conditions were perfect today. A little warm when in the sunshine but wouldn't complain too much. Just not enough endurance/miles at mp and the legs started tightening up around 32km. Happy enough anyways.
    Off to watch the oh come home now. Told her not to go faster than sub 6/km and see how long she lasts at that. Most of the way hopefully!

Well done to all the other Irish folk out here!
    Passed a lad from Trim at around 28km whose hamstring was giving him jib but he was in great spirits so hopefully he'll make it home!

Well done to you both, J. I hope the recovery is going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm aiming for a crack at sub three hours

All went to plan - 2:59:52 :)

I set out from pen D (having got moved from pen E at the expo) a little behind the three hour pacers, and stayed in their general vicinity from there. It was very congested around them, i'd never experienced anything like that before. The water stations in particular were chaotic, lots of bumping and pushing and a few runners exchanging cross words :pac:

Around 8 miles in i had to stop for a toilet break, i reckon this cost about 40 seconds based on comparing my strava "moving time" to the chip time. Made my way not too quickly towards the pacers again and was back just behind them around mile 11 i think.

About mile 15 i'd had enough of the crowd around the pacers and pushed on around twenty seconds ahead, to relatively calm road! I felt fine at this point and progressing serenely along - i wouldn't say i thought it was in the bag at this point but felt very good anyway.

At mile 20 or so my garmin went haywire, and had me running a couple of five minute miles (I wish!). I wasn't too concerned about this, as long as the pacers were behind me i thought i had nothing to worry about. Mile 23 or so, i didn't hit the wall exactly but definitely started to feel it and slow down a little. It was quite warm at this stage so maybe that played a part. One of the pacers came past me with around 3k to go, so i just hung on to him as best i could - i knew having started behind him that i could afford to be a little bit back.

We zigzagged through the city and turned a corner, and there was the brandenburg gate. At this point i did think to myself "job done" and tried to soak it all up. About thirty metres or maybe more from the line, glanced at the watch and saw it ticking 2:59:51, 52, 53.... S***, not there yet! Ran as hard as i could and crossed the line stopping the watch at 2:59:59 :eek: i knew i'd started it a little before crossing the start line though, so figured i'd be ok - seeing the chip time as 2:59:52 when i got back to the hotel was still a nice relief though! Had a nice night celebrating with some clubmates and Berlin-based friends in the Kilkenny irish bar, not too late a night though as had early flight and am now home!

All in all a happy experience, and delighted to break three hours for the first time. The support along the route was fantastic and there was generally (but not always as i mentioned earlier!) a good atmosphere amongst the runners, even if it was a bit too congested for comfort. Berlin looks like a fantastic city and i vowed while running to come back and enjoy it properly at some point. Well done to all boards folk who ran and hope you all enjoyed the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

We were in the Kilkenny ourselves, sitting in the corner to the left of the front door.
    Well done on a great time!

We were in the Kilkenny ourselves, sitting in the corner to the left of the front door.
    Well done on a great time!

Ah no way, we were just inside the front door! This was after the rugby finished and the place quietened down, we'd been up at bar while the match was on. Pity i didn't realise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Not a patch on either of the watering holes I brought you to in Valencia I'm sure.

You'll have to return with Mrs Bel some day (and run a proper fookin' time as well btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Just back at work and instead of working decided to read the Berlin thread.

Great to read about the elites , looks like a fantastic race , cant help feeling a bit for Paul Pollock though.

Myself I had a very good race - new Pb and (just about) in the 2.58's.

I ran very even splits ( 1.29.18, 1.29.38) and finished strong with my 30-35k being my second fastest 5k and my fastest min/k pace in the last 2k.

Thanks to those who warned about the 3 hour pacers - they were complete loony tunes and if I had not known in advance they would have been very very off putting. The lead balloon guy pacer finished a minute ahead of me I'd say and I believe the third balloon finished at 3.00.30 or so.

Overall I really think its a great race , the course is perfect , the weather great ( especially if like me you prefer it a little warmer), support is superb and the organisation fantastic.

Potential improvements would be to lose the paper cups, sort out the pacing and parts of the course early on were very congested.

Well done to everyone who ran, some great times posted.

Lex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

menoscemo wrote:
    He was first today in the M50 age group

And the grand prize of an entry to next year's race is all his.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Back home on late Mon flight from Berlin. Rollercoaster weekend.

Training for Berlin went really well, hoping to repeat last years run. This year went over with lads from club. Arrived Fri went out for carbloading, pizza at lunch, pasta in evening, usual!!
    Sat morning we went for an easy couple of mile from hotel to loosen legs up. Just before we set off for run, lets just say I had quick tempo run back into hotel toilets. Back from couple of mile run and back to toilet again. Took a bus tour and got back to hotel not feeling great. Couldn't stomach lunch so went to room and had multiple trips to toilet and slept. Felt hungover! Woke up and went to pharmacy for immodium and electrolytes. At this stage very worried i wouldn't make it to start line. Dinner that evening was going to be the decider. I could only stomach a couple of spoons of rice and quarter a chicken breast. Went back to bed in awful state. 80/20 not running! Woke up at 2:30 in morning and forced a carb bar down with a vitamin drink. Got up in morning and said i would tog out! 50/50 to run. Felt ok but couldnt eat much brekkie, watery porridge was horrible. Set off down to start and said i would run.

I was running with one of the lads and i planned to try to stick original plan. 1:28:30 at halfway and felt ok. But had a pain across stomach since early that morning. With a couple of gels this pain in was stomach was getting worse. Splits were steady, aiming for 21 min 5K's. After halfway lad I was running with pushed on, i couldn't go with it. Pain in stomach was too bad so i had to stop taking gels. I was still on track for sub3 upto about 22/23 mile. I remember getting hit on the head by the 3:00 hour balloon as it passed me :). tried to hold on but i knew i was on fumes. Just kept working to the finish, second 3 hour pace group passed me. I just kept working as hard as I could but waves of people were passing me....all chasing the 3 hour dragon!

Thought I could get in at 3:00:xx but the brandenburg gate looked like it was getting further away as I was running to it. Pushed on to the finish line 3:01:32. Couldn't believe I finished it from the day I had before, then slightly disappointed i didn't squeek in under 3!

Met couple of the lads from club all hurting, usual post marathon aches. Then felt really bad and lay down. turned and got violently sick. Medics called, next thing i'm off in ambulance to hospital, sirens blaring! Doctor told me i was most likely badly dehydrated on start line and wasn't wise to run after the previous day. Got 2 litres and fluids in and thorough check over and back to hotel! Struggled through a couple of beers and hit the hay early.

Shouldn't have ran, but glad i did in the end............10th marathon done (and most dramatic)!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, sorry you didn't have a great day but I think most of us would have run given the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Loughie, that's some performance as sick as you were! they make them tough in Donegal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

A Great city and race new pb 3.20.23 from 3.26.55 - no complaints at all. Cups were a nuisance and it was very busy at times but all an all a great event for me and I shall hopefully return!

Lots of PB's in our group also and we too were in the Kilkenny Pub for the rugby

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Was this Kilkenny pub any good? Good name anyway.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Was this Kilkenny pub any good? Good name anyway.

The had the Rugby on and it was local but they ran out of Weissbier!!!

It was a typical Irish place in a foreign city!

They lived up to their name and served pints of Kilkenny, so they get a thumbs up from me. I'd been to the Oscar Wilde the day before watching the PL matches and i'd say the KK was a step up from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Was in the KK myself. Missed some of the Irish Tries when the signal kept dropping out due to the overhead trains.

Nice bangers and mash though

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Well done to all who ran Berlin.

Hit a 5min PB with a 3.16.42 finish. Had targeted 3.15 as target A but between extra distance run and tiredness in last 3 miles it didn't happen but still more than happy to hit the PB. Must say I really enjoyed the occasion and course. I started close to front of Pen E and stayed on left hand side, worked the best, was a lot of congestion but could manage and had plenty of space out there in first 2 miles before the roads joined together.

For the water stations I had about 6 straws cut and in my running belt that I used at each water station. Worked brilliant and I got a full cup down at ease each time which was needed as it was warm on the day. Great finish up to the Brandenburg gate.

Had signed up for Dublin and wondering is anyone can suggest what should be done in the meantime. What distance should be run and with 4 weeks between them, is it wise to go for another time at Dublin or to just run and enjoy it as was the plan when I signed up for it?

Thanks

bigslice wrote: »

Hit a 5min PB with a 3.16.42 finish. Had targeted 3.15 as target A but between extra distance run and tiredness in last 3 miles it didn't happen but still more than happy to hit the PB. Must say I really enjoyed the occasion and course. I started close to front of Pen E and stayed on left hand side, worked the best, was a lot of congestion but could manage and had plenty of space out there in first 2 miles before the roads joined together.

For the water stations I had about 6 straws cut and in my running belt that I used at each water station. Worked brilliant and I got a full cup down at ease each time which was needed as it was warm on the day. Great finish up to the Brandenburg gate.

Had signed up for Dublin and wondering is anyone can suggest what should be done in the meantime. What distance should be run and with 4 weeks
    between them, is it wise to go for another time at Dublin or to just run and enjoy it as was the plan when I signed up for it?

Thanks
    In the same boat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Had signed up for Dublin and wondering is anyone can suggest what should be done in the meantime. What distance should be run and with 4 weeks between them, is it wise to go for another time at Dublin or to just run and enjoy it as was the plan when I signed up for it?

Thanks

I ran Berlin and I entered Dublin today. Not going to advise you just tell you what I'm doing. I took Mon and Tue off, too sore to run. I did 5 miles yesterday and will do 5 or 6 the next few days untill I feel recovered.I will do a long session towards the end of next week ie 3 or 4 x 5k at marathon pace, a long run of 27 miles next weekend(10th). Then another session of maybe 5x 2 miles at hm pace the following week. All easy runs inbetween then taper again the last week. That's really just 3 important runs with everything else aimed at recovering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

27 mile training run, after a marathon and just before another one?

that sounds like ultra madness. But I suppose the clue's in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thanks

A lot depends on you and your body. A real case of no silver bullet, cos what works for Percy or anyone else might kill you. My recovery from marathons has changed radically in the last 4 years or so. After the first one I couldn't run for a week. After the most recent one (number 8 I think) I've been out doing mostly recovery 9 days out of 10. I got out 6 days in the week following whereas it used to be zero.

If you get the in-between weeks right, and UP's ideas sound good enough, notwithstanding what I wrote above!, then I'd say you could do a time in Dublin. Berlin could have been just the hard training run you needed 4 weeks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Cheers for the replies lads.

Landed back from Berlin on Tuesday and have done nothing since bar a bit of recovery stretching and in the pool. Between the run and the travel have felt very tired. Today is the first day that I've felt somewhat normal and legs feel good.

Plan to run a few recovery runs this evening and over weekend. Re-assess then and pick it up towards end of next week with a longer run and paced runs on the shorter distances. From what you are saying, I'll judge it by feel and know closer the time as to what run I have in me.

Thanks.

I Did 6 miles last night handy pace and felt ok - so I will continue on nice and steady for another week - Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

D'oh.....sorry I looked in here. Promised myself I'd take at least 6/7 days rest because of a few niggles.
    Feeling lazy now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

sounds like it's time to change the name of this thread to the 'Berlin then Dublin' thread :) yizzer all mad.

Advertisement