Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free travel passes not to be touched in budget - Minister Burton

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What has a Bereavement Grant got to do with a Free Travel Pass scheme? :confused:

Besides, the government shouldn't have to be paying out for an event that is foreseeable and inevitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The bereavement grant was introduced as an incentive to make sure dead people were taken off benefits. It is not necessary now as we have other ways of taxing the dead.

The simplest way of bringing the FTP under control is to restrict its use to after 9 am, Mon - Fri.

When I was a kid in London, I had free travel to school (as did most kids if you lived beyond a certain distance) and I had a bus pass that detailed my route to school. I had two alternative routes but had to choose which one went on the pass. The pass was valid from the first day of school to the last day and was only valid at school times. This could apply to school kids that have a FTP to get to school today.

Visits to hospitals could be handled by passes issued by the HSE, dated and routed. It might cut down on the missed appointments as a by-product.

Remember, when people get to 70, the driving licence is restricted, and at 80, it is further restricted, so travel options are curtailed as you get older - never mind the health condition of the OAP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

This could apply to school kids that have a FTP to get to school today.

Kids that have those bus/train passes are already limited to school days during term time. Also, they aren't free. They cost a few hundred a year.
    Visits to hospitals could be handled by passes issued by the HSE, dated and routed. It might cut down on the missed appointments as a by-product.

The HSE do occasionally issue people will travel warrants for appointments etc. but it seems to be far more popular to just give the person a FTP instead for some reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The HSE do occasionally issue people will travel warrants for appointments etc. but it seems to be far more popular to just give the person a FTP instead for some reason.

I presume because the HSE do not pay for the FTP and it is less bother to them to get the social welfare (or more accurately - CIE) to foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Regarding your comment... It is complete and utter bullsh!t in the extreme.

May the Gods of text have mercy on your soul.

Ah sure the government will be sleeping with the dead soon. If they cut this (below) then what else will they cut for the older folk ? and the rest of us ? the bastards that they are.

"We've done our level best, as with all social welfare payments, to maintain what we call a threshold of decency," he said.

He said none of the other available options "recommend themselves as easy."

From a waster politician.

Do you have some difficulty in understanding english?

People are generally in favour of retaining the Free Travel Pass for OAPs, the problem is that these make up only half of those who have a Free Travel Pass.

Read, read again, try to understand and then post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No Pants wrote: »
    What has a Bereavement Grant got to do with a Free Travel Pass scheme? :confused:

Besides, the government shouldn't have to be paying out for an event that is foreseeable and inevitable.

Quite. Now, let's apply that to child benefit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Means testing I could probably agree with but dictating when the pass can be used? Talk about treating them like second class citizens. I travel to work by bus and there are far more able bodied men flashing passes at the driver than there are pensioners. I see men in their thirties getting on and waving passes. Of course, you cant say anything - they might have a "hidden disability" but its ok to have a go at pensioners. My father worked for fifty years carrying lead and slates up ladders, to support and educate his family and pay his mortgage. He is entitled to his travel pass, and shouldnt need a doctors note to allow him to travel on the bus in the morning ffs

And by the way, many of the protesting pensioners did hold down mortgages and raise large families (and had it a damn sight harder than us poor put upon celtic tiger cubs ever had it).

Being able to walk doesn't mean someone is able-bodied FFS, you complain about people having a go at pensioners but you in turn take a pop at disabled people and put hidden disability in quotation marks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Demonique wrote: »
    Being able to walk doesn't mean someone is able-bodied FFS, you complain about people having a go at pensioners but you in turn take a pop at disabled people and put hidden disability in quotation marks

The issue,FFS or otherwise,is not whether anybody can walk ...It is about HOW to fund whatever level of benefit is granted by the State.

The origin of the FTS was very clearly to benefit the Elderly,particularly those living in isolated parts of the country following the Social Changes which were taking place from the mid 1960's onwards.

The inclusion of those on Disability Benefits came about somewhat later,and without any commensurate calculated increase in funding.

What nobody forsaw was the explosion in numbers of FTS recipients who were NOT of Pensionable Age and deemed to be Disabled.....

The funding crisis remains unaddressed thus far,as the 2013 statistics reveal a continuing increase in FTS recipients with funding remaining capped since 2010.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Social-Stats-AR-2013-SectionG.pdf

Total FTS Allocation €75,477,000

Total FTS Numbers for 2013. 782,529
    Total FTS Pensioners 379,206
    Total FTS Disability Benefit 106,264
    Total FTS Category "Others" 102,062

For comparison to the 2010 Funding vs Entitled numbers.....

FTS Allocation €75,597,000

Total FTS Number for 2010. 726,412
    Total FTS Pensioners 2010 346,769
    Total FTS Disability Benefit 99,506
    Total FTS Category "Others" 99,702

So....how is the additional 56,000+ entitled persons entitlement to Free Public Transport access being funded.....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Do you automatically get a pass if you're on Disability Benefit? - as various commentators have pointed out the numbers on DB have (for reasons largely unknown) increased dramatically in the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    Do you automatically get a pass if you're on Disability Benefit? - as various commentators have pointed out the numbers on DB have (for reasons largely unknown) increased dramatically in the last 10 years.

Increased dramatically !....the understatement of the thread....:eek:

Avoiding pedantry concerning Allowance vs Benefit in this context,here's the chapter n verse on who gets the FTP.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/780_Free-Travel.aspx#1

It's worth reading the entire document,particularly Item 1 ;)

782,529 and counting :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Another tidbit worth noting is the issuing of the NTA's second PSO contract to a Private Sector Operator...

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/whartons-travel-crossdoney-wins-contract-for-publicly-funded-bus-route-between-cavan-and-longford/

In the context of this thread however,and the very clear statement of Minister Burton as quoted in the header,this piece may be of some interest....?
    Adult and Concessionary Fares to be charged have been set by the Authority and broadly match the previous fares charged. As the Free Travel Scheme operated by the Department of Social Protection is closed to new entrants, holders of Free Travel Passes wishing to travel on the service will now be required to pay 50% of the appropriate Adult Fare. The new service is wheelchair accessible.

It remains to be seen whether Minister Burton is liasing with her counterpart in Transport,or indeed with any of the Senior Management of the NTA who,after all do tell us they have set the Fare levels....;)

The Future has already begun.....precedent is everything to these people,and now they have TWO to fall back upon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Another tidbit worth noting is the issuing of the NTA's second PSO contract to a Private Sector Operator...

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/whartons-travel-crossdoney-wins-contract-for-publicly-funded-bus-route-between-cavan-and-longford/

In the context of this thread however,and the very clear statement of Minister Burton as quoted in the header,this piece may be of some interest....?

It remains to be seen whether Minister Burton is liasing with her counterpart in Transport,or indeed with any of the Senior Management of the NTA who,after all do tell us they have set the Fare levels....;)

The Future has already begun.....precedent is everything to these people,and now they have TWO to fall back upon ;)
    What are the current passenger numbers for the Portlaoise service? could it be called a success given that the operator threw in the towel when they had to cover the cost of the service and it now only operates fully funded by the NTA. Do as many free travel pass holders use it as did before the free travel element was removed(is it catering for those it was designed to cater for)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

It will really fall apart when/if the tendering of DB/BE routes is rolled out and the NTA take full control of the farebox and has to make the books balance rather than just throwing the ball into the CIE court and telling them to make the books balance.
    Operators will have to be paid on a Km driven basis irrespective of who travels or if no one travels, the NTA will presumably also have the cost of central control and revenue protection and quite possibly depot provision and maintenance as well as fleet replacement.
    Upto now the DoT has always been able to just tell the operator to cut costs ( ie routes, staff, terms and conditions etc) irrespective of what they had asked the provider to do the yeaar before, that won't be the case in the future when they have binding contracts with private companies for service provision for fixed terms.

What will the NTA do when the fare box, subvention and money for free travel scheme doesn't meet the operating costs but they are obliged to pay the operators anyway ?

cdebru wrote: »

What will the NTA do when the fare box, subvention and money for free travel scheme doesn't meet the operating costs but they are obliged to pay the operators anyway ?

Raise fares so that the free travel stays free. That seems to be the most important thing in public transport at the moment.

Raise fares, cut services, cut wages and run services/facilities with no overtime but the cost of a free travel ticket is exactly the same as it was before an unprecedented economic meltdown despite there being more people than ever "entitled" to free travel.

Raise fares so that the free travel stays free. That seems to be the most important thing in public transport at the moment.

Raise fares, cut services, cut wages and run services/facilities with no overtime but the cost of a free travel ticket is exactly the same as it was before an unprecedented economic meltdown despite there being more people than ever "entitled" to free travel.

This is known as the "U.K. Model" and is working very well there.....loads n loadsa people getting shiny new Bus Passes ....however...more and more operators shutting-up shop as the funding for the scheme is so poor....Free Travel,but No services on which to use it.....sounds kinda Irish to me...Oh wait....sorry,we're playing catch-up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

But in the future they won't be able to cut services or wages at least not till the end of the contract with the service provider, they will be tied into paying x amount per Kilometre driven with a contract specifying the number of Kilometres and they won't be able to just raise fares to meet any shortfall it justs drives away customers and makes the problem even greater.
    If/when faced with what happened in 2008 to DB how would the NTA cope ? Massive drop in passengers travelling but tied into contracts with operators so costs would be fairly fixed but your revenue is falling through the floor and the government is fecked as well so cuts to subvention payments and increased free travel passes but no increase in payment for supplying the free travel.

Rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I haven't read this thread entirely but just wanted to add my piece.
    As a non OAP I have my pass due to a disability so wherever I want to go I need to use public transport, mine isn't a companion pass so just for myself.
    I don't have the option to drive myself due to my medical issues so having my FTP means I can do whatever I want without needing to be concerned about the cost.
    On the other side, for OAP's its about social inclusion. Particularly for those living outside urban areas. Again, it means you can go outside your own home without needing to worry about the cost.
    I do think for OAPs theres a case for means teasing it in line with the medical card or something like that. Or maybe removing it form short distance journeys that might only cost 2 or 3 euro.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread entirely but just wanted to add my piece.
    As a non OAP I have my pass due to a disability so wherever I want to go I need to use public transport, mine isn't a companion pass so just for myself.
    I don't have the option to drive myself due to my medical issues so having my FTP means I can do whatever I want without needing to be concerned about the cost.
    On the other side, for OAP's its about social inclusion. Particularly for those living outside urban areas. Again, it means you can go outside your own home without needing to worry about the cost.
    I do think for OAPs theres a case for means teasing it in line with the medical card or something like that. Or maybe removing it form short distance journeys that might only cost 2 or 3 euro.

Ryanf1,the issue I am highlighting is nothing to do with individuals or the reasons they have a Free Travel Pass.(Thats for a different thread)

The Thread Title refers to the statements issues by both Leo Varadakar and Joan Burton in recent times.

However whilst the wording of the statements is undoubtably accurate,the experience to date with the NEW NTA PSO Tendered routes indicates otherwise...

The FACT is,that if you present yourself for travel on either the 828/X or 975 services your Free Travel Pass will NOT be honoured in the manner it's title infers.

Instead,presentation of your FREE Travel Pass will allow you to purchase a ticket at 50% discount off the appropriate Adult fare.

The question now hanging in the air,is whether this new "Concessionary" Fare regime is now official NTA policy on PSO tendered routes going forward.....Is it?..or.... is it Not ?

It is a serious issue,as IF the two new PSO routes not accepting the FTP,are NOT typical of the new PSO Contracts countrywide,then those FTP holders using these services are most certainly being singled out for discrimination in terms of accessing Public Transport.

This issue,of itself,has the capacity to throw the NTA's current plans to outsource 10% of the Dublin Bus/Bus Eireann PSO contracts into chaos should some enterprising reporter cotton on to it.....;)

It would now seem that the validity of the FTP will in the first instance be dictated,not by the NTA or the DSP,but by the individual Service Operator,without any contractual requirement to honour the existing entitlement held by the FT Scheme participants.

But the Free Pass itself will,of course,remain untouched by Political Hands....:o :o

As far as I know, the DSP are not accepting new routes on the FTP scheme.
    I sometimes use the M7 express service which won't accept them

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    As far as I know, the DSP are not accepting new routes on the FTP scheme.
    I sometimes use the M7 express service which won't accept them

Correct Ryanf1,the relevant point is the steady increase in the number of such services,with particular relevance to the latest NTA PSO Tendered routes,neither of which now accept the FREE Travel Pass for FREE Travel on their services....Either it is a FREE Travel Scheme or it is a "Concessionary" scheme...currently the Authorities are unwilling to publicise that important distinction.

It has always been the case that the Dublin Bus 747 service from the airport does not accept the FTP, but the Aircoach service does (except for some services).

FTP is also not accepted for travel on non-core CIE services such as excursion or special services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Saw a scumbag get onto the bus, driver asked "have ye got a pass ?", girl laughed, took it out and said "D'ont know how I got one of those".

Time for a crackdown.

They are widely abused and hopefully the new passes being rolled out will stop some of that

ebbsy wrote: »
    Saw a scumbag get onto the bus, driver asked "have ye got a pass ?", girl laughed, took it out and said "D'ont know how I got one of those".

Time for a crackdown.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating, certain addresses get you a FTP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Was a gouger down the back of the 76 the other day (loudly) moaning that his pass that he ''had for years'' would be out of use this coming Monday,because of the ''poxy new photo card'',he also seemed annoyed that the driver of the bus we were on had the temerity to actually ask to see his pass when he got on.

Those are the types of folk I hope will be targeted.Bloody infuriating hearing him moan after having years of free travel,and nothing obviously wrong with him bar a few dodgy tattoos!

Correct Ryanf1,the relevant point is the steady increase in the number of such services,with particular relevance to the latest NTA PSO Tendered routes,neither of which now accept the FREE Travel Pass for FREE Travel on their services....Either it is a FREE Travel Scheme or it is a "Concessionary" scheme...currently the Authorities are unwilling to publicise that important distinction.

But can those two little used routes be used as a sign of things to come? Remember that on the portlaoise route the operator m&a coaches pulled out of the original deal because they could not make any money at all from the route, not because they had to carry free pass holders but because there are no significant passenger numbers. The nta pays for everything now including the buses used on the routes and pays the operators for running the services so my questions that are still unanswered are 1, how many passengers are each route carrying daily and weekly? and 2, how many of those are free pass holders?

Both these routes could be more than adequately covered by a twice a day bus twice a week like hundreds of other routes on bus eireanns rural routes network. Both routes cover areas which were originally covers by long distance expressway services which were changed to semi-express services meaning that smaller villages were left with no service at all and at the time there was a public outcry and campaign to have the expressway service reinstated.

I would safely say that many of the older and disabled people who used the old expressway services have made alternative arrangements or have had family neighbours and friends rally around to make sure they were not left paying for a service that was previously free for them. We must remember that before many of these people are able to use free travel at all they must now pay to travel or stay at home. Most do not have the luxury of deciding to cycle or drive.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    But can those two little used routes be used as a sign of things to come? Remember that on the portlaoise route the operator m&a coaches pulled out of the original deal because they could not make any money at all from the route, not because they had to carry free pass holders but because there are no significant passenger numbers. .....

........Both these routes could be more than adequately covered by a twice a day bus twice a week like hundreds of other routes on bus eireanns rural routes network. ........

I would safely say that many of the older and disabled people who used the old expressway services have made alternative arrangements or have had family neighbours and friends rally around to make sure they were not left paying for a service that was previously free for them. We must remember that before many of these people are able to use free travel at all they must now pay to travel or stay at home. Most do not have the luxury of deciding to cycle or drive.

Quite corrrect......the opening question stands on it's own merit and is proving diifficult to secure an answer for.

So,is the inability of an operator to "Make any money" from a Public Service Obligation route now grounds for the total abandonment of the long-established FREE Travel Scheme ?

If it is grounds in deepest Portlaoise,then we must assume it will equally be grounds in Urban Waterford,Bray,Dun Laoire,Swords and Rialto,something which the NTA,in particular,has steered decidely clear of in it's recent statements.

Bearing in mind that the NTA's 10% proposals do not involve ANY additional buses or services,yet at face value may well involve a considerable alteration in how the services are funded/provided/used,the reluctance to clarify the brave new Tendered World is somewhat interesting.

The Governments ongoing attempts to talk-up an Irish recovery & rebound from economic collapse stands in contradiction to this particular example of questionable policy ?

But,on the bright side...."The FREE Travel Pass has not been touched" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ryanf1,The question now hanging in the air,is whether this new "Concessionary" Fare regime is now official NTA policy on PSO tendered routes going forward.....Is it?..or.... is it Not ?

does the NTA even know?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

If it is grounds in deepest Portlaoise,then we must assume it will equally be grounds in Urban Waterford,Bray,Dun Laoire,Swords and Rialto,something which the NTA,in particular,has steered decidely clear of in it's recent statements.

Would you agree that the routes included in the 10% for privatisation do on a regular daily basis carry many many more passengers both paying and free travel pass holders than either of the two knee-jerk routes which were formed to appease the residents of a couple of small villages?

Advertisement