Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I just don't get all this Arthur's day plonk. When i first read the threads and comments regarding this plonk, i inserted my brain into wiki to study what it's all about, but i still can't see the reason to celebrate it, because it's illogical.

I'll celebrate someone's birthday, but not this huge fake advertising plonk to up the profits of publicans trying to get people to go to their pubs like a bunch of sheep thinking it's something important.

It's a bunch of manure when you think of it. Put that in your pint and drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

dont even like guinness anymore, its awful ****e..beamish, craft beers for me!

god when i see facebook statuses saying 'to Arthur' I just cringe, arrrgghh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

don't know if any of you saw that documentary by Des Bishop on Irelands binge drinking culture , the surprise i found was , that most Irish comedians don't drink - and the langers drunkily binge drinking, actually think they are funny - sadly not, sad yes

thebaz wrote: »
    don't know if any of you saw that documentary by Des Bishop on Irelands binge drinking culture , the surprise i found was , that most Irish comedians don't drink - and the langers drunkily binge drinking, actually think they are funny - sadly not, sad yes

dont know what your trying to say there, sadly not what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Really tough sentence to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Go home, Ireland, you're drunk. And please don't sing and roar down my street on your way. :mad:

(that's fairly anti- no?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

lufties wrote: »

Don't know what you're trying to say there.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Really tough sentence to read.

very easy to read but not easy to understand

Jiggers77 wrote: »
    Diageo are smart business people and are hoping to capitalise greatly from an idea like Arthurs day and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Its a fun festival and I can see the problem that certain people have with it. If little tools around the country cant drink in moderation and choose too make eejits of themselves you can blame Arthurs day for that.
    Guiness is a great Irish product famous the world over. Why shouldn't it be promoted on a day like Arthurs Day?

Ah come on, its cringeworthy..'To Arthur', what a joke. bulmers is drank the world over aswell how about a day for that. I dont think i could look at myself in the mirror after going out to celebrate 'Arthur'.

• Advertisement

very easy to read but not easy to understand

tumblr_m644llLyWk1rwcc6bo1_250.gif
    Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

oblivious wrote: »
    No as there event is restricted to a single venue and the GAA are not a drinks company with a viral marketing campaign.

But have accepted sponsorship from said company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

crusher000 wrote: »
    But have accepted sponsorship from said company
    There have been 19 pages explaining why accepting sponsorship from a drinks company is not the same as a drinks company founding its own pretend national holiday to exclusively flog its own products.

This is not an anti-drink thread, it's not an anti-advertising thread, it's not an anti-Diageo thread, it's an anti-Arthur's Day thread

Was out of the Country until yesterday. Came in through Dublin airport and expected the army and Red Cross to be out with all the carnage Arthur's Day was going to cause. No cars on fire, no women running for safety with the children. But, hay this is the airport and wouldn't be a true reflection on Irish Society as there was a mixture of nationalities here. So jumped in the car and drove home. Stopped in a Supermac's in my home city. Normally the scene of absolute chaos when the drink fuelled population get hungry. Walked in and hay no one having a fight there, no one in a head lock, no crying women outside as their partner defends their honour. All in all Arthurs day was a failure as it didn't bring down Irish civilisation. Count down to next years destruction begins.

Reekwind wrote: »
    There have been 19 pages explaining why accepting sponsorship from a drinks company is not the same as a drinks company founding its own pretend national holiday to exclusively flog its own products.

This is not an anti-drink thread, it's not an anti-advertising thread, it's not an anti-Diageo thread, it's an anti-Arthur's Day thread

Was making comparison that Diageo have no more responsibility for people going out getting legless than any other event, occassion in our calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I walked thru Dublin City last night at about 10 and there was a bit of carnage, though no worse than a typical Saturday. Had the pleasure of seeing a chap fling a glass bottle at two other people standing chatting at the central bank. No reason behind it. He wasn't a scumbag looking type either.

I had been walking behind him and a garda behind me, so he sorted it out pretty quick.

On my short 15 min walk I saw Gardai dealing with 3 other incidents. Plenty of patrol cars and vans milling around and the usual gob****ery seen on a Saturday night.

We have significant anti social problems when alcohol is thrown into the mix. I'm not blaming Arthur's Day or diageo specifically but there's no denying that there's a problem within Irish society, but it goes beyond excess consumption to associated behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

oooohhh, the tabloid journalists are soooo disappointed with Arthur's Day. No bodies on the street, no major issues at A&E, no fights, no stabbings, just a good humoured night that almost all enjoyed and treated with respect.

The drunken headlines have to wait till next years junior cert results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I saw a load of people on Grafton St at 2am holding up burgers and shouting "I'm lovin' it!"

Fantastic banter altogether. Sure it's just a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Also for all you Arthurs Day revellers -

Today is Alka Seltzer day so be sure to stock up. Remember today is not just a lame attempt for Bayer Schering Pharma AG to sell more Alka Seltzer, its a remarkable celebration of those who make things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Y2K all over again. Much ado about nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

The toilet cubicles in work places this morning are grim places to have to visit. Groans, grunts and long sighs. Malodorous smells assaulting the nostrils. Sales of caustic soda gone through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLoJv9WfEE

Could have all gone pear shaped

I saw loads of people being scummy and messy, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

An absolute shower of badly brought up lightweights, I got a chuckle from the absolute state of some clowns, as I was on my way home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I saw a load of people on Grafton St at 2am holding up burgers and shouting "I'm lovin' it!"

Fantastic banter altogether. Sure it's just a bit of craic.

I'd say RTE are rushing them sitcom deals as we speak alright. They sound hilarious.

The McCraic'ns. Can't wait...

Sad , that many in this country still think that being twisted drunk is funny , or that they are funny when they can barely string 2 words together, i dont think its funny , and have witnessed the wretched side of drink , why not next year have a Happy weed day or a Happy Pill day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

OK, so the fall out wasn't as bad as expected, but the idea is still a joke. Was talking to a live sound engineer who said after working a Dublin venue last year, he decided that no money was worth working Arthur's Day again. Trying to do your job at 7pm when the crowd around you is 1am messy was an absolute nightmare according to him.

Was good craic as expected yesterday, good atmosphere in the pub and plenty of Guinness was had (its my normal drink anyway before anyone talks about marketing).

Saw very little hassle, someone got sick on the street at about 5:30 when I was walking to the pub from work which I found funny and a few underagers were drinking on the streets. Only one person was overly drunk in the pub and I was there from 5:45 until 12:30 so saw a lot of turnover of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Mr E wrote: »
    Y2K all over again. Much ado about nothing.
    What were people expecting? The criticism of Arthur's Day has never been that it was going to turn the city into a warzone or start planes falling out of the sky. Ordinary citizens weren't going to suddenly start rioting because they'd been on the lash a few days before their usual drinking day. So I find it quite bizarre that people have been looking around saying, 'Sure, the place is still standing. No harm done'

What we did see is what you'd expect: a normal Saturday night during the week. With accompanying Saturday night levels of ambulance calls and A&E visits. Which is damning in its own way

So far from being "nothing", the criticism of Arthur's Day remains rooted in both the crassly commercial nature of the event and the wider damage that alcohol does to Irish society. Not some hysterical fear of rampaging mobs tearing the town up

• Advertisement

someone got sick on the street at about 5:30 when I was walking to the pub from work which I found funny

sorry, but why is someone puking on the streets funny , that in a knutshell is what i find wrong with Arthus day and our unhealthy relationship with booze

Advertisement