Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Christy Moore and the Waterboys? FFS. I suppose they will now be refusing to perform at other festivals that are promoted by alcohol. They should be grateful, without these festivals, they would be irrelevant along time ago. We don't need these guys to remind us how pathetic and weak they might have been with drink in the past.

That's funny because the words 'pathetic' and 'weak' are exactly what spring to mind when I see people raising a glass to repeat a phrase that was dreamt up in a boardroom in the UK a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The first Arthur's day, ok fair enough, it marked an anniversary for a worldwide brand, grand, have your celebration, yay. But turning it into a yearly thing is just lazy corporate thinking. It's not a thing, stop trying to make it one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It reminds me of Love Day on the Simpsons which was dreamt up by greetings card executives.

krudler wrote: »
    It's not a thing, stop trying to make it one.

Unfortunately it is a thing. A very lame thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It reminds me of Love Day on the Simpsons which was dreamt up by greetings card executives.

"They didn't have Lord Hogginton?!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Debate on Arthur's Day on Prime Time in about half an hour.
    Going by Twitter it sounds like they've got all the anti Arthur's Day folk lined up but no one from the other side of the argument at all, will watch anyway but given the Irish Times article earlier I don't hold out too much hope for it not being a propaganda piece...

In fairness, Prime Time is a fairly dry show, you'll have a hard time finding the kind of person who loves celebrating Arthur's Day that will go on and talk about it.
    limitedIQ wrote: »
    I prefered the quote when the one guy said "its just a made up celebration to sell stuff" and the musician sais "yeah but so is Valentines day !"

Yeah but Valentine's Day isn't locked down by one brand. Anyone can sell stuff under the "Valentine's Day" label, the same as for Easter, Halloween, Christmas and so on. Arthur's Day is entirely Guinness-centric and was specifically made up to advertise Guinness. Nobody else is getting a share of the pie here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think this should be the last year of it, but maybe carry on with the arty project side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

oblivious wrote: »
    Na Self Aid was much worse

No, this was:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

They don't just do Guinness so i'd say they got you anyway

Wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

20Cent wrote: »
    Time for another Reclaim the Streets party me thinks.

Dead on, Robo Cop must be getting rusty, time to bring him out, with a couple of squirts of WD40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    But its name is spelled in IRISH!????? :eek:

I've been lied to.

Dubliner cheese is made in Cork .. we live in confusing times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

All these "I'm boycotting Authur's day because its just a marketing campaign and I'm too intelligent to be fooled by it" people are really starting to p!ss me off! Of course its a marketing campaign (and a very good one at that!). Anyone with half a brain knows its just a stunt to promote and sell Guinness. But so what. So much of what we do/buy is based around products which are advertised by companies. Authurs Day is no different.

Anyways tonight should be a good night out. Loads of people around. Cheap pints. Live bands. Usually on a Thursday night there isnt much on around town and probably the most exciting thing I'd do is go to the cinema. But tonight, for these reasons I'll most definitely be out on the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So nobody forgot today is Arthur's Day, right?

Great job Diageo, marketing brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

People are likening Arthur's day to St. Patrick's day. No I don't think so Diageo have sold us a second New Years Eve, the toast at 17.59 etc.. sends a message the Irish are thicko drunkards, who have a devil may care attitude to health.. and diageo's alignment with drinkaware is like smoking companies putting the health warnings in caps on their packets making a mockery of it.

seamus wrote: »
    Great job Diageo, marketing brilliance.

Three cheers for Diageo! Hip hip...hooray! Hip hip...hooray! Hip hip...hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Didnt they change the date from the original anniversary to coincide with freshers week around the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jiggers77

Diageo are smart business people and are hoping to capitalise greatly from an idea like Arthurs day and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Its a fun festival and I can see the problem that certain people have with it. If little tools around the country cant drink in moderation and choose too make eejits of themselves you can blame Arthurs day for that.
    Guiness is a great Irish product famous the world over. Why shouldn't it be promoted on a day like Arthurs Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Anyone know any good pubs for tonight? I wont be finished college til 8 and want to go somewhere in town, preferably with a beer garden :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Anyone know any good pubs for tonight? I wont be finished college til 8 and want to go somewhere in town, preferably with a beer garden :pac:

Bia bar or the Morgan both nice places and both have (small) beer gardens/smoking areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

bumper234 wrote: »
    Bia bar or the Morgan both nice places and both have (small) beer gardens/smoking areas

Bia Bar was closed down recently.

Went to watch the GAA there on Sunday since its never too packed and it was closed.

I suppose it's because its never too packed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

bumper234 wrote: »

The hotel in temple bar?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The hotel in temple bar?

Yeah the morgan bar next to it there is a courtyard thats done nice. Market bar is ok too.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If it takes 750 years for the water in Ballygown to be filtered through calcium-enriched limestone, I think they should market a similar themed day to celebrate this fact.
    Call it 'Calcium-Enriched Limestone Day', and have everyone toast a pint of Ballygowns finest!
    To Calcium Enriched Limestone!!

That'll cut the A&E admissions that day...

They do that already sure......

Movable feast though, 3 days before we all get our chocolate eggs AFAIK......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

People are thick.
    How anyone buys into this nonsense is beyond my comprehension. It's a sad indictment on the Irish populous.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

People are thick.
    How anyone buys into this nonsense is beyond my comprehension. It's a sad indictment on the Irish populous.

You mean it was a marketing stunt all along!?!

Well I am fcuking shocked!

People are thick.

Jaysus you'll be telling us next that Christmas is gone commercial and Valentines day is a ploy by the card companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Load of slags drinking pints of Guinness around Galway early today. Disco twat and Guinness farts, Im staying in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/diageo-v-brewdog#sthash.PxbIVuPN.ZK3bOjTQ.dpuf
    Kerry, Mark, Neil S and Neil T attended the award ceremony. We had heard that BrewDog were expected to do quite well in the ‘Bar Operator of the Year’ category and the members of the bar team were suitable excited to see if our hard work would be recognised by this most prestigious and illustrious award. Neil Taylor and Kerry on the night of the awards. They scrubbed up well! However we were not announced as winners of the award.

This disappointment was further compounded when one of the judges (seated at our table) told us in disbelief ‘this simply cannot be, the independent judging panel voted for BrewDog as clear winners of the award’. Events took a further twist when the people who got given the award refused to accept it as it clearly had ‘BrewDog’ engraved on the trophy as winners.

On Tuesday, 2 days after the award, I (James) took a phone call from Kenny Mitchell, Chairman of the BII in Scotland and Chairman of the Award Committee explaining the situation. To directly quote Kenny: ‘We are all ashamed and embarrassed about what happened. The awards have to be an independent process and BrewDog were the clear winner’ ‘Diageo (the main sponsor) approached us at the start of the meal and said under no circumstances could the award be given to BrewDog. They said if this happened they would pull their sponsorship from all future BII events and their representatives would not present any of the awards on the evening.’

We were as gobsmacked as you by Diageo’s behaviour. We made the wrong decision under extreme pressure. We should have stuck to our guns and gave the award to BrewDog.‘ We would like to thank Kenny Mitchell and the BII for their refreshing honesty here and for initially giving the award to BrewDog before their overbearing and blackmailing sponsor undermined the independent judging process completely by bullying them at the last minute to deny BrewDog of an award they rightfully won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

MadsL wrote: »

In the context of this discussion that post is un-readable. Can you give us an idea of what you are trying to convey?

Advertisement