Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My birthday is always on around st Arthur's day, last year it was on it, this year it's the day before it, so I go out moreso for my birthday than to celebrate a rotten drink

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Propaganda getting a bit ridiculous at this stage.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/diageo-may-call-time-on-arthur-s-day-as-backlash-gathers-force-1.1537705

"Diageo may call time on Arthur's Day as backlash gathers force"
    Within that article, not a single quote or reference from any Diageo employee to the effect that they are considering ending the event this year. Not one.
    How do they get away with printing such headlines without any references? Even Wikipedia wouldn't let you post something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

oblivious wrote: »
    No one has anything on this scale that's going to use up public resources

Of course, but any major event that uses public resources will pay, an example is the used of Garda to secure events

All Ireland Final Day. Alot of drunk people around the place . Have the GAA a responsibility in the use of extra resources on All Ireland Day ? Do they pay for extra Garda on the street ? My tax money also paid for this but my county wasn't in the final. C'mon people lets keep it real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

I'm off to Amsterdam next month to celebrate Heineken day. Get to experience the best of Dutch culture and pride while swallowing a bucket load of cold, fizzy, tasteless lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Saruman wrote: »
    Since we are talking about beer here... how about we start with O'Hara's stout, move on to Porterhouse and work our way from there until we reach the approximately 30 Irish owned breweries we have?

Some people say they celebrate Arthur's day to celebrate Irishness. Well then, drink a truly Irish product and not one owned by a foreign company head-quartered in London.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

crusher000 wrote: »
    Do they pay for extra Garda on the street ?

No as there event is restricted to a single venue and the GAA are not a drinks company with a viral marketing campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Saruman wrote: »
    Since we are talking about beer here... how about we start with O'Hara's stout, move on to Porterhouse and work our way from there until we reach the approximately 30 Irish owned breweries we have?

Some people say they celebrate Arthur's day to celebrate Irishness. Well then, drink a truly Irish product and not one owned by a foreign company head-quartered in London.

Couldn't agree with you more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

let's burn our ipods and pick up a bodhran, let's throw away our oranges and munch on a raw potato, let's cancel our internet subscriptions and rely solely on rte for news and entertainment

let's be ****ing Irish for just one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

let's burn our ipods and pick up a bodhran, let's throw away our oranges and munch on a raw potato, let's cancel our internet subscriptions and rely solely on rte for news and entertainment

let's be ****ing Irish for just one day!

Can I get the Diageo logo tattooed on my arse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Can I get the Diageo logo tattooed on my arse?

only if your tattoo artist was born in Ireland and the inks/needles used are produced in Ireland. otherwise you're a filthy west brit sassnach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

In fairness there is nothing wrong with wanting to shop local when given the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'll give you the point of view of a foreigner: the first September I was in Ireland, I was under the impression that "Arthur's Day" was a sanctioned national celebration. The way people in the street and the media treat it make it sound and look like it's something on the same level of, say, St. Patrick's day. At the time, it took quite a bit of research to figure out it is actually a marketing ploy. Most other non-Irish natives I know, mostly at work, have all been initially under the same impression.

Now, the two questions arising from this are:

1. Why is a marketing tool of a single company given the resonance and imporance of a national celebration?
    2. Why is it perfectly believable, in the eyes of a foreigner, that Ireland would have a national celebration based around a single company (as if, say, Germany had "BMW Day" or Italy had "FIAT Day")?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

They have lots of money to spend and too many people view Guinness as an institution. The Vintners Association are very powerful and have lots of links to our government.

Most importantly we're all mad for the gargle so nobody really minds if they're being taken in by a marketing campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    1. Why is a marketing tool of a single company given the resonance and imporance of a national celebration?
    2. Why is it perfectly believable, in the eyes of a foreigner, that Ireland would have a national celebration based around a single company (as if, say, Germany had "BMW Day" or Italy had "FIAT Day")?

A1: This country has a drink problem and the company in question has a huge marketing budget.
    A2: See above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I'll give you the point of view of a foreigner: the first September I was in Ireland, I was under the impression that "Arthur's Day" was a sanctioned national celebration. The way people in the street and the media treat it make it sound and look like it's something on the same level of, say, St. Patrick's day. At the time, it took quite a bit of research to figure out it is actually a marketing ploy. Most other non-Irish natives I know, mostly at work, have all been initially under the same impression.

Now, the two questions arising from this are:

The only ones that are making a big deal out of it, is the Temperance outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Debate on Arthur's Day on Prime Time in about half an hour.
    Going by Twitter it sounds like they've got all the anti Arthur's Day folk lined up but no one from the other side of the argument at all, will watch anyway but given the Irish Times article earlier I don't hold out too much hope for it not being a propaganda piece...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I agreed with your post but this seemed to be written as an aside. This is a huge part of it in my eyes.

I like to drink and I like to be "merry" but I know my own limits (by Irish standards) and am never so drunk that I can't look after myself but I still get a lot more drunk than most of my foreign friends here. My eyes were opened yesterday and I've been having a good, long think about it since.

On a different thread a few weeks back you were going on about how it was so liberating to be in Ireland on the piss as it was so bananas, and nobody could match us for our drinking lunacy, sure we're only mighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Going by Twitter it sounds like they've got all the anti Arthur's Day folk lined up but no one from the other side of the argument at all, will watch anyway but given the Irish Times article earlier I don't hold out too much hope for it not being a propaganda piece...
    Yes, the multi-national drinks conglomerate that has spent lavishly on advertising/marketing is now the marginalised victim of a propaganda campaign :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

On a different thread a few weeks back you were going on about how it was so liberating to be in Ireland on the piss as it was so bananas, and nobody could match us for our drinking lunacy, sure we're only mighty.

And I meant it. You might also see in my post that what happened yesterday gave me another point of view that made me think (out of context and surrounded by disgusted foreigners).
    My eyes were opened yesterday and I've been having a good, long think about it since.

Edit: I didn't use the word "mighty" btw. I'm from Dublin. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Christy Moore on Prime Time now singing his song. It's kind of embarrassing.

I don't see the problem with Arthur's Day. I've had a few good nights out over the years, seen some good well known musical acts for a pretty low price. And guess what? I don't even drink Guinness! So I Diageo didn't suck me in anyway. Where's the harm there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

If you give out about Arthur's Day you're an idiot, and if you go out for Arthur's day then you're an even bigger idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I don't see the problem with Arthur's Day. I've had a few good nights out over the years, seen some good well known musical acts for a pretty low price. And guess what? I don't even drink Guinness! So I Diageo didn't suck me in anyway. Where's the harm there?

They don't just do Guinness so i'd say they got you anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Na Self Aid was much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Just wondering - had the radio on in the car today (2fm) but was only half listening. Rick O'Shea played a song by some act that is obviously booked for an Arthur's Day gig. When it finished, he said something like "that was [I can't remember who it was], one of the many acts booked to play somewhere in Dublin on Thursday".

He never mentioned Arthur's Day, and I'm sure a week ago (or even a few days ago) he probably would have mentioned it in the same circumstances.

I wondered if they've been told not to mention Arthur's Day outside of paid advertising, due to the backlash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

" no one starts drinking Guinness till there late 20s"...can't argue with that.
    "no one was complain when everyone was drinking for the all-Ireland final" - can't argue with that

Best quote of the night was "I'd prefer go out and have a few pints of Guinness and watch good music in a nice pub then stay at home and drink 3 bottles of wine and watch the x-factor!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seriously?! Like was performing live, or was it a recording?? CRIIIINNNGGGEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

Dave! wrote: »

He was live, then talking to the panel for a couple minutes after.

Was nice to see some music on prime time for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Dave! wrote: »

Old Crusty gets free advertising for his new song. Sort of I'm broke give me a job Gaybo, Mike Murphy, broke again Gaybo givis a job. License fee, support for old pri(ks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bowlardo wrote: »
    " no one starts drinking Guinness till there late 20s"...can't argue with that.
    "no one was complain when everyone was drinking for the all-Ireland final" - can't argue with that

Best quote of the night was "I'd prefer go out and have a few pints of Guinness and watch good music in a nice pub then stay at home and drink 3 bottles of wine and watch the x-factor!"

Almost right!

The quote was more along the lines of "better to go out and have a few pints / good music / nice pub etc. than to sit in and drink 3 bottles of wine damaging your liver and watching X-factor damaging your faith in music" :pac:

But at the same time, how dare he assume that just because I stay in and don't go to the pub that I'm watching x-factor.

I also take issue with the notion that the Irish pub is some sort of sacred institution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

keith16 wrote: »
    Almost right!

The quote was more along the lines of "better to go out and have a few pints / good music / nice pub etc. than to sit in and drink 3 bottles of wine damaging your liver and watching X-factor damaging your faith in music" :pac:

But at the same time, how dare he assume that just because I stay in and don't go to the pub that I'm watching x-factor.

I also take issue with the notion that the Irish pub is some sort of sacred institution.

add to the fact x-factor isn't on on thursdays :p

Advertisement