Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options
  • 23-09-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Okay this seems to be building more and more. So let me say 1. I am a drinker and 2. I have never celebrated Arthurs Day.

Christy Moore and The WaterBoys have brought out seperate songs against Arthur Day. Yes it's a marketing ploy but hay if you have a product and you want to sell what else would you do ?. Lie in a ditch and wait for someone to come along and buy your product ? Germany is famous for it's beerfests and they go on for a week at a time but that's okay. Like it or not if tourists give reasons why the visit Ireland one of the reasons will be to drink the Guiness. Not all tourists come here for that but some do. The day can get messy and we've seen the pictures in the paper and clips on youtube.

So why the big campaign now against Guiness ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Viral marketing by Diageo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Recession is over. Need something new to whinge about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

No one is holding any guns to people heads

People in Ireland will get drunk to celebrate 2 flies crawling up a wall. If Christy Moore has an issue - it is with his fanbase. The discontent with Diageo is a smokescreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We're fighting "the man" well Christy is and he's been doing that for about 45 years.

I think people are just getting tired of companies invading our space (public and private) and then branding it. Arthur's Day is the most high profile example in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a yearly thing, people want to seem like they aren't taken in by an advertising campaign and show that they are stronger then everyone else who falls for it.

It's easy to keep away from them and they are generally only around for a week to one and a half weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

If people don't like it, then why don't they just ignore it? The anti-Arthur campaign is bringing more and more attention onto the day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Maybe I'm outside of their demographic and don't get drawn in. I have to say hat's off to them for marketing and I have work on a Friday so it's the main reason I don't go for it. One or two pints no good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Would Crusty and Mike Scott be looking to inject a new lease of life into their flagging careers, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

D1stant wrote: »
    No one is holding any guns to people heads

People in Ireland will get drunk to celebrate 2 flies crawling up a wall. If Christy Moore has an issue - it is with his fanbase. The discontent with Diageo is a smokescreen

:D so true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If it takes 750 years for the water in Ballygown to be filtered through calcium-enriched limestone, I think they should market a similar themed day to celebrate this fact.
    Call it 'Calcium-Enriched Limestone Day', and have everyone toast a pint of Ballygowns finest!
    To Calcium Enriched Limestone!!

That'll cut the A&E admissions that day...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it's not your thing then just ignore it.

Some people just like to whinge I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I've never before gone out for Arthur's Day but I am seriously considering it this because some people/media are making such a big deal about it. Surely Arthur's Day is the real life equivalent of if you don't like it, or it doesn't interest you, just scroll on by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's not really a very subtle viral marketing campaign either but I don't give a ****. Cheap Guinness.

To Arthur! Cause of, and solution to, all of Ireland's problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

I don't need a slickly marketed faux celebration as an excuse to go drinking. The incredible urges and lack of will power sort that out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

A lot of ex-alcoholics turn hardline when they quit. It's a kind of defense mechanism. Maybe their objecting to the further normalisation of binge drinking in a society that already suffers badly from it's effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

crusher000 wrote: »
    Germany is famous for it's beerfests and they go on for a week at a time but that's okay.

German beerfests usually feature more than one beer from one brewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

It's like paddy's day without the kids.
    What's not to like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

While I don't like this Arthur's day I also wouldn't be bothered getting stressed out about it, it's a marketing scam and those who get caught up in it are fools, leave them off.

Crusty Moore is a nazi now against the drink, just cos he can't handle it.
    A lot of people can drink and enjoy it responsibly, just because he can't that's his problem. He should write a song about getting to the root of his problem and spare the rest of us his angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

Arthur Day just like christmas day comes along every year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

So the difference is it's multiple marketing.

• Advertisement

Yes, but here in Ireland, with oktoberfest beag you can only get Paulaner, jointly owned by Heineken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I'm beginning to wonder how much Diageo paid Christy and The Waterboys to brew up a storm about it. There's another 364 days of the year you never hear from either of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I think the emergency services aren't overly keen on Arthur's day. They get a huge increase in drunken idiots needing ambulances & taking up space in A&E.
    That's the only tangible problem imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I like a drink as much as the next but I can see why there is an Anti- Arthurs day crusade.
    With all the **** alcohol brings do we need to be celebrating it considering we constantly abuse it as a nation weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Yes, but here in Ireland, with oktoberfest beag you can only get Paulaner, jointly owned by Heineken.

I meant German beerfests in ze Fatherland.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Don't tell Christy Oktoberfest just started. Seriously, as someone else just pointed out, Germans have beerfests all the time. There's stuff like "World Astra Day" in Hamburg involving shameless advertising and everyone just goes out and gets hammered. How come when we do it, it's a big problem? If you're not interested, just stay at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't tell Christy Oktoberfest just started. Seriously, as someone else just pointed out, Germans have beerfests all the time. There's stuff like "World Astra Day" in Hamburg involving shameless advertising and everyone just goes out and gets hammered. How come when we do it, it's a big problem? If you're not interested, just stay at home!

They do but they seem to be able to cut themselves off too and not abuse it continually. There is families of closest alcoholics in this country all needing a drink to get through there day and they see nothing wrong with it.

Germans can do past times that don't surround alcohol there is literally **** all for a young person to do here that doesn't surround alcohol. I have a recovering partner and friend both in there late 20's who tell me the same constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

What I find really stupid is the people that claim that anyone that drinks on arthurs day are getting duped somehow.....
    The vast majority of us drink every weekend and guess what, most of what we drink is owned by diageo.
    Arthurs day is a bit of craic where instead of drinking a few products from diageo, we drink one.

rob316 wrote: »
    They do but they seem to be able to cut themselves off too and not abuse it continually. There is families of closest alcoholics in this country all needing a drink to get through there day and they see nothing wrong with it.

Germans can do past times that don't surround alcohol there is literally **** all for a young person to do here that doesn't surround alcohol. I have a recovering partner and friend both in there late 20's who tell me the same constantly.

ah that's BS, there is plenty of things to do in this country that doesn't involve booze, sounds like those people are too lazy to get up and do it for themselves. Hill walking, trekking, cycling etc.
    Granted there often tends to be a 'retire to the pub' mentality after the events but this is changing, changing slow perhaps but it is changing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

It's a gimmick and diageo are rubbing their hands with glee.

Advertisement