Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Didn't really sense much aggro in town at all last night! From what I remember :P

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Didn't really sense much aggro in town at all last night! From what I remember :P

Your arse will remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Saw very little hassle, someone got sick on the street at about 5:30 when I was walking to the pub from work

What a lightweight.
    Was good craic as expected yesterday, good atmosphere in the pub and plenty of Guinness was had (its my normal drink anyway before anyone talks about marketing).

Yeah, but you still went out on a day you probably wouldn't go out on when it's just a regular Thursday to drink their product. So, you still asked how high when they told you to jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

If yesterday was Arthurs day then is today "black jobby day"?

thebaz wrote: »
    sorry, but why is someone puking on the streets funny , that in a knutshell is what i find wrong with Arthus day and our unhealthy relationship with booze

Well I find it entertaining anyway, having a laugh a lad that couldn't hold his drink and relaying the story to others, its certainly not something that I'm going to get bothered about anyway.
    Eutow wrote: »

Yeah, but you still went out on a day you probably wouldn't go out on when it's just a regular Thursday to drink their product. So, you still asked how high when they told you to jump.

We go out on a lot of Thursday nights anyway so its quite possible I would have been out regardless, even this week I was in for a quick drink after work Monday and Wednesday. Arthurs day means there is a bit more of an atmosphere around the first pint was free so I don't really care if its a marketing campaign as it's a good night out.

I don't see why people get so bothered and would go out of their way to not to go out just to make a point, its a bit silly really.

• Advertisement

We go out on a lot of Thursday nights anyway so its quite possible I would have been out regardless

But you probably drank more than you would have, so the marketing worked.
    I don't see why people get so bothered and would go out of their way to not to go out just to make a point, its a bit silly really.

Some people don't like being dictated to by a drinks corporation and a lot of people feel that Diageo essentially said to Irish people, drink on this day, your a spoilsport if you don't. If Diageo decided to have another day to celebrate the birth of Arthur, what do you think would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Some people don't like being dictated to by a drinks corporation and a lot of people feel that Diageo essentially said to Irish people, drink on this day, your a spoilsport if you don't. If Diageo decided to have another day to celebrate the birth of Arthur, what do you think would happen?

So non conformist. So brave.

It wouldn't bother me if they had another day, means another excuse to go out and that's fine by me.

Also they are hardly dictating to anyone. If you don't want to go out don't but I can't see any sense in not going out because you want to occupy some faux moral high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The jacks in work are in fookin rag order

It wouldn't bother me if they had another day, means another excuse to go out and that's fine by me.

So they say jump and you go how high.

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

..and you say "I jumped before it was cool"

So what? Going out and having a good time is of more concern to me than trying to stand up to "the man".

You could also use that argument for nearly any product or service that is advertised.

..and you say "I jumped before it was cool"

I think for myself. Nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Well I find it entertaining anyway, having a laugh a lad that couldn't hold his drink and relaying the story to others,

you have a strange sense of humour , laughing at people puking on the street -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

But you probably drank more than you would have, so the marketing worked.

Shock, horror....marketing works :rolleyes:

I suppose you dont use any products that are in any way advertised/part of a marketing campaign?

Shock, horror....marketing works :rolleyes:

I suppose you dont use any products that are in any way advertised/part of a marketing campaign?

I live an amish existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I live an amish existence.

I think it that from this response that you dont want to admit that you too use products that part of marketing campaigns/advertisements? If so then doesn't that make you a bit of a hypocrite for judging people who enjoyed a night out last night.

I think it that from this response that you dont want to admit that you too use products that part of marketing campaigns/advertisements? If so then doesn't that make you a bit of a hypocrite for judging people who enjoyed a night out last night.

Of course marketing plays a part, the need/value for a certain product plays a part, nobody can avoid it unless you live in a jungle somewhere. One of the reasons I brought up the marketing angle was a quote by Nox001 -

Was good craic as expected yesterday, good atmosphere in the pub and plenty of Guinness was had (its my normal drink anyway before anyone talks about marketing).

He implies it wasn't to do with marketing, and I countered by saying he went out anyway, when he probably normally wouldn't.

Nox001 replies by saying he normally goes out for a few on a Thursday anyway. I reply by stating he drank more because of the celebration day, hence marketing.

I have no problem with people going out, It's a drinks company influencing people to drink more on a certain day under some faux Irish celebration that is a problem.

The celebration was fine for the 250 year anniversary, it's a bit stupid to have it as a yearly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

What he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

zenno wrote: »
    I just don't get all this Arthur's day plonk. When i first read the threads and comments regarding this plonk, i inserted my brain into wiki to study what it's all about, but i still can't see the reason to celebrate it, because it's illogical.

I'll celebrate someone's birthday, but not this huge fake advertising plonk to up the profits of publicans trying to get people to go to their pubs like a bunch of sheep thinking it's something important.

It's a bunch of manure when you think of it. Put that in your pint and drink it.

Ok let me put it simply.

Many people like to go out and have fun.

Many of these people like to go out and have fun when they know there will be a lot of other people out having fun that they can interact with.

Many of these people like to go out and have fun when they know there will be a lot of other people out having fun in venues with quality, free, live entertainment.

Many of these people have a decent level of intelligence and know this is a marketing ploy by diageo and pubs to increase sales but dont care because they like to go out and have fun with loads of other people having fun in places with quality free live entertainment.

I seriously question the intelligence of many posters on here who feel the need to point out its a marketing ploy to others as if they didnt already know. The social issues with alcohol is a different debate entirely with some merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

I guess it is this. St Patricks Day is here forever. As is Halloweeen. As is Christmas. As is New Year's Eve.

But utter ****e, manufactured anniversaries, like Arthurs Day is dreamt up by cynical executives in the marketing and PR departments of multinational corporations, and can disappear as quickly as they appeared. Which is why some find people getting swept up on it like it is "real" annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

meemeemee wrote: »
    I guess it is this. St Patricks Day is here forever. As is Halloweeen. As is Christmas. As is New Year's Eve.

But utter ****e, manufactured anniversaries, like Arthurs Day is dreamt up by cynical executives in the marketing and PR departments of multinational corporations, and can disappear as quickly as they appeared. Which is why some find people getting swept up on it like it is "real" annoying.

I love Diageo day!

What about Tequila Tuesday or Whisky Wednesday? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

No they say we have organised this day to promote our alcoholic beverage. There is entertainment from early until late in towns across the country and if you are coming we have a slogan we would like everyone to say at a certain time. You can come along even if you dont drink alcohol and enjoy the music....and you dont have to say the slogan if you dont want.

bazza1 wrote: »
    I love Diageo day!

What about Tequila Tuesday or Whisky Wednesday? :D

Innis & Gunn Day - Monday

Sierra Nevada Day - Tuesday

Fullers - Wednesday

Duvel & Galway Bay Brewery Beers - Thursday (Giving people a choice here)

Rum Day - Friday

Whiskey Day - Saturday

Brew Dog Beers - Sunday

Nox001 replies by saying he normally goes out for a few on a Thursday anyway. I reply by stating he drank more because of the celebration day, hence marketing.

I didn't drink any more or less than I have on many a Thursday night so again the day had no effect on that aspect.

It was my choice of drink I was referring to also when I mentioned marketing was not playing a role, i.e. the fact it was Arthurs day is not why I was drinking Guinness I would normally drink it.

Of course the whole idea of the day is marketing but as other posters have said it gets a crowd out on a thursday night, there is a good atmosphere and a good night was had. The fact the day is a made up one does not bother me in the least.

I didn't drink any more or less than I have on many a Thursday night so again the day had no effect on that aspect.

It was my choice of drink I was referring to also when I mentioned marketing was not playing a role, i.e. the fact it was Arthurs day is not why I was drinking Guinness I would normally drink it.

Of course the whole idea of the day is marketing but as other posters have said it gets a crowd out on a thursday night, there is a good atmosphere and a good night was had. The fact the day is a made up one does not bother me in the least.

Fair enough, It's not just Diageo, but the whole marketing industry I'm getting sick of in general. When I asked you before if Diaego decided to have another day to celebrate Arthur's birth, you also said you wouldn't mind, it would just be an excuse to go out again. This is the problem though, Diageo could invent something every week and people would shrug their shoulders and not care. Marketing is too intrusive nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Nonsense.

For one company to have an almost complete strangehold of any market is never a good thing for the public.

They either buy up or attempt to strangle every single small competitor in Ireland thus depriving the public of choice. The customer and publicans lose - Diageo can control the quality and the price of beer and it shows.

And as for supporting Irish arts? Its well known that they screw over Irish bands on Arthurs Day and import big names from abroad which they pay handsomely. I know people who've played on Arthurs Day and got nothing, no costs covered or even a free pint. The same goes for DJs and technicians at the gigs.

Whats Arthurs Day?

It's a companys way of kissing your neck as they **** you up the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Arthur day is just as bad as Freshers Week in College.

driving home at 7 pm at night and seen people on the floor, some people could just about walk up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it St. Arthur's Day already?

'tis replied Aunt Helga

Advertisement