Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men Season 7 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I swear Marie blames Don for her cheating on her husband. Like "if you didn't marry my daughter, I never would've visited new york and met Roger. You monster!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I see on other forums that there's a lot of hate for this episode but it just flew in for me. I guess that's the end of Megan now. Hopefully Harry as well. I was never all that fussed on his character but he's turned into a right slimeball. Lol at Caroline and Shirley in Roger's office. "Yes, this is definitely a two man job!".

I'm glad to see Betty is doing something for herself by doing a Masters in Psychology. It's been mentioned a few times that she's well educated but she seemingly gave it all up for family life - normal for the time I suppose.

Unless Diana (Die-anna?) is some sort of catalyst for something I'd be okay with not seeing her again. I don't dislike her, she's the mirror image of Don personality wise but I would rather the characters we already know are focused on. Needs more Pete! Jiminy Christmas!

As for the whole Stan/Peggy/Pima part, I'm not sure if she's jealous or just annoyed that Stan fell for Pima's "hustling".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I think I could watch a whole series of just Pete and Don stuck together. They just play so well off each other - Pete with that adulation that he just can't let go of and Don with the systematic bullying that he can't rise above when it comes to Pete.

Some good lines this week:
    "It's the Manson Family"
    "Are they coming in?"

and
    "It wasn't my idea" followed by "I'm late for a meeting".

Still though after 7 or 8 years of somehow still rooting for Don despite all the crap he's pulled I'm disappointed that he just turned out to be a Dick after all (pun intended). I can't see any redemption for the character in the remaining few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

DeepBlue wrote: »

Still though after 7 or 8 years of somehow still rooting for Don despite all the crap he's pulled I'm disappointed that he just turned out to be a Dick after all (pun intended). I can't see any redemption for the character in the remaining few episodes.

Ya Pete and Don together are priceless, Don is the man Pete wants to be and does little to conceal this fact.

What exactly did Don do wrong in this episode?, He's been fairly sound lately as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Very good episode. Harry became a creep so gradually I didn't even notice. Yeesh.

Harry has morphed over the years from a fairly humble and likeable enough character to being maybe the lowest skid mark in the show. Which is saying something considering the sheer amount of awful people who populate the programme.

This weeks episode didn't grab me quite as much as last week, but that's okay. I guess the opener has to come on strong and set the scene, while the follow up arranges the pieces for what's to come. I think things are moving at a breakneck speed compared to previous seasons. Two episodes in and we've already had- a divorce, a million dollar check, mustaches galore, dark-room sex, back-alley sex, furniture removal with extreme prejudice, hiring and firing and chocolate shakes. That's a torrent of action by Mad Men standards. It makes me feel nostalgic for the earlier days, when the dramatic crux of an episode could amount to somebody merely handing a slip of paper to another character. The challenge was trying to explain to the uninitiated that it wasn't the slip of paper that was really important it was...how he handed to him, like a dagger in his palm!

I was glad to see the comedy having a bit more of a role this week- Roger on the telephone, Roger facing Megan, basically everything Roger did this week. I thought he was unusually bitter last episode, for a man who usually doesn't give a fiddlers fart for anything. Stan and Peggys conversation at the end was pretty hilarious too. Not forgetting Betty as a "good listener"- Jesus Wept!

We had one of the all time classic Pete lines this week, but I did feel sadness that we didn't get to see him and Don on the golf course together. It's a bit of shame that Pete seems to have next to nothing to do so far this season as he's by far my favourite character. He's a terrible man of course but every line is typically comedy gold.

I'm willing to reserve judgement on the romance between Don and his new lady. I struggle to remember her name, as we've seen Don hook up with literally dozens of women over the years. I am bored with once again seeing him trying to solve his problems with another woman, but at least they seem to be trying to introduce someone that's more of an equivalent, less a trophy acquisition or guilty series of fumbles. I just fear that we may be shoehorned into believing Don has got his redemption at last and after ninety episodes of near unrelenting existential gloom, the idea of a few glorified night time cuddles solving that man's fundamental problems would feel awful cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I haven't seen the point of Megan's character since she has been in this show.

Anyone?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Episide needs more ken

CpspgFS.png

Also, loving stans poster of Moshe Dayan on his wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I was never a fan of Sal. I really didn't think he added anything to the show, other than being a closeted gay man. That's all that he was ever used for and it got boring tbh. Some fans of the show seem to be obsessed with him and the possibility of him coming back this season.

AFAIK Sal is cut from the show as he didnt get on with the writing/production team and he demanded a pay increase. So he was simply cut. Lena Dunham did the same thing with a major character in Girls. He was too hard to work with on set. So she cut him.

There is Ed, the guy with Glasses in the show now who is gay(Played by Kit Williamson). Also wasnt there that gay guy who was Russian, that Peggy went to concert with and wasnt bothered with him being gay. So I dont understand the whole times are changing, therefore throw in a gay character.

Im so glad Meghan might be gone. She was such a pain to watch. She was always moaning and never happy with anything eg even working in the ad agency she never took constructive criticism.

hfallada wrote: »
    AFAIK Sal is cut from the show as he didnt get on with the writing/production team and he demanded a pay increase. So he was simply cut. Lena Dunham did the same thing with a major character in Girls. He was too hard to work with on set. So she cut him.

There is Ed, the guy with Glasses in the show now who is gay(Played by Kit Williamson). Also wasnt there that gay guy who was Russian, that Peggy went to concert with and wasnt bothered with him being gay. So I dont understand the whole times are changing, therefore throw in a gay character.

Im so glad Meghan might be gone. She was such a pain to watch. She was always moaning and never happy with anything eg even working in the ad agency she never took constructive criticism.

Of all the women in Don Drapers life, She was by far the most irritating. Even Betty had her moments where you kinda like her, (shooting the birds with the bb gun comes to mind)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've always rather liked Megan but all the French Canadian family scenes seemed very soapy this week.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fa4%2Fef%2Faeeb7ca14ae99646c5265375ced6%2Fmad-men-season-7-episode-10-marten-weiner-january-jones.jpg

And the award for the creepiest couple in the world goes to....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And the award for the creepiest couple in the world goes to....

If they'd kissed, Matthew Weiner would have won the award for World's Best Father.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yo, Captain Pike.

Always good to have Sally in the picture. I did lol during her first exchange with Betty, about being 'a little late' :pac: and the other scenes, too. Glen rockin' the latest fashion and those mutton chops, erm...

And the Tinkerbell scene, of course. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

3 whole posts for this weeks ep? I thought it was good. Line of the season to Don: "You dont have character, you're just handsome!", he looked wounded by it, and he looked totally lost standing outside his penthouse at the end. they should put in more drama/fcukups with clients, that made the early eps so good, theres too much moping in the more recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So what did everyone, or anyone, think of this weeks episode?

It took me a while to get sucked up into it, but looking back I think it was a highly satisfactory episode. A bit of momentum was finally added to proceedings. About time really, time is running out after all.

Credit has to be given to this episode for giving us some sort of emotional closure regarding the darker days of Peggys past. When I saw kiddies running about on screen early on, I thought- uh-oh. The huge emotional baggage of Peggy and her potential alternate reality of motherhood was probably going to be dealt with, and so it was, but in a humane and redemptive fashion. As opposed to the usual Mad Men route of punishing people for their human failings. The scene between herself and Stan was honestly one of my favourite moments in the entire series. That moment during their conversation, when he shut up and understood all the unspoken hurt behind what Peggy was really trying to say, was, I thought, honestly very beautiful and unusually gracious and forgiving for such a cold and brittle show. There was one reaction shot, where the camera returned to him and, instead of unthinking judgement, he was silent. Just listening. I loved that. It brought a tear to my eye, no word of a lie.

It's probably too much to ask but, Jesus Christ, can the Show-Gods somehow find it in themselves to make sure those two end up together in the end? It honestly wouldn't bother me if the trade off is Don blowing his brains out. I'd rest easy, knowing that one corner of of a fictional universe is safe from harm.

After much wishing I finally got to enjoy all the Pete I could handle. And he got to punch a man in the face! It was probably the most heroic thing Pete Campbell ever had a hand in. It was a rare beast of an episode for him too- He was a bit of an idiot throughout, but he had his human moments too. Maybe there is some hope for him yet...

Hope! Silly me, this is Mad Men we're talking about! It's all about being back where you started and feeling awful about it! The boardroom scene was a perfect encapsulation of this. When I heard and saw Mr. Big Business roll the word "Coca- Cola" off his tongue at Don; instead of thinking refreshing soft drink, I thought something like-Cancer of the Soul. Worst of all - Don looked pleased about it. Maybe the dark side is all there is of him at this stage.

So, overall, a few chinks of salutatory light amidst the spreading darkness. Who knows, maybe the Pete Punch is all the giggles we have due to us at this stage.

Just Peggy and Stan, c'mon...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Peggy and Stans talk on her decision with her child was a great scene. I like them as friends but I doubt that they will end the show together. Still I hope it happens.

Also the shot of the 5 SDCP partners at the desk as Jim Hobart left was a great callback to them viewing the second floor at the end of season 5.

Arghus wrote: »
    So what did everyone, or anyone, think of this weeks episode?

It took me a while to get sucked up into it, but looking back I think it was a highly satisfactory episode. A bit of momentum was finally added to proceedings. About time really, time is running out after all.

Credit has to be given to this episode for giving us some sort of emotional closure regarding the darker days of Peggys past. When I saw kiddies running about on screen early on, I thought- uh-oh. The huge emotional baggage of Peggy and her potential alternate reality of motherhood was probably going to be dealt with, and so it was, but in a humane and redemptive fashion. As opposed to the usual Mad Men route of punishing people for their human failings. The scene between herself and Stan was honestly one of my favourite moments in the entire series. That moment during their conversation, when he shut up and understood all the unspoken hurt behind what Peggy was really trying to say, was, I thought, honestly very beautiful and unusually gracious and forgiving for such a cold and brittle show. There was one reaction shot, where the camera returned to him and, instead of unthinking judgement, he was silent. Just listening. I loved that. It brought a tear to my eye, no word of a lie.

It's probably too much to ask but, Jesus Christ, can the Show-Gods somehow find it in themselves to make sure those two end up together in the end? It honestly wouldn't bother me if the trade off is Don blowing his brains out. I'd rest easy, knowing that one corner of of a fictional universe is safe from harm.

After much wishing I finally got to enjoy all the Pete I could handle. And he got to punch a man in the face! It was probably the most heroic thing Pete Campbell ever had a hand in. It was a rare beast of an episode for him too- He was a bit of an idiot throughout, but he had his human moments too. Maybe there is some hope for him yet...

Hope! Silly me, this is Mad Men we're talking about! It's all about being back where you started and feeling awful about it! The boardroom scene was a perfect encapsulation of this. When I heard and saw Mr. Big Business roll the word "Coca- Cola" off his tongue at Don; instead of thinking refreshing soft drink, I thought something like-Cancer of the Soul. Worst of all - Don looked pleased about it. Maybe the dark side is all there is of him at this stage.

So, overall, a few chinks of salutatory light amidst the spreading darkness. Who knows, maybe the Pete Punch is all the giggles we have due to us at this stage.

Just Peggy and Stan, c'mon...

I love Pete Campbell and I love VIncent Karthheiser. There has not been enough Pete this season!

This show has always been about facade. And they are starting to unfold what is beneath the facades of the characters, we are seeing more disclosures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The Peggy and Stan scenes this week were great, them becoming more than friends tho would cheapen the whole relationship imo.

Whats the story with her kid, the last I remember her sister was taking care of it, has she since given it up to adoption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

No, she gave it up for adoption straight away. That child was her sister's.

Peggy & Stan have to get together, they are just perfect for each other.

This week's episode was great. I can see Joan being treated badly at McCann after that meeting, so maybe she ends up quitting and her and Kevin go off to the pyramids with her new man.

So many hilarious moments in this episode. Pete punching the headmaster over a 300 year old grudge. Ken telling them to feck off. Meredith in general. I'm really going to miss this show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jeez, that felt like end times, really, and the whole childhood thing went right through it. I did like Meredith asserting herself at the end.

Also - Peggy swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Is Mad men on Netflix.
    Because I can't find it there.

Also, The Sopranos. Is that not on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I really liked this most recent episode. For the first time, it felt like the show was starting to move toward a conclusion.

I particularly liked the interaction between Peggy and Sam. It's been so long since we've seen her acknowledge the child she gave up for adoption, and I love how Sam just listened. No judgment, no well-meaning advice - he just listened, and you could tell he understood and didn't lose any respect for her as some might have, especially back then. I have no idea where this show will finally end up, but if those two wind up together, I'll be happy.

I also liked Pete and Trudy back, perhaps not together, but fighting for a singular cause together. And the 300 year old feud is Mad Men black humor at its best and so, so Pete Campbell. Loved it. My roommate hates Pete, but I will defend that man to my deathbed. Yes, he's an elitist prick, but something about him is so endearing. He's our elitist prick.

Can't believe only 3 more episodes are left. I started watching when the first season premiered in 2007. It's been quite the journey.

HBO content is unlikely to end up on Netflix. It strikes me that they're reluctant to embrace streaming outside of their own pipelines. They're kicking off a service next year, iirc, but I'm guessing that'll be US only. I believe some their catalogue is on Amazon Prime, though.

I really liked this most recent episode. For the first time, it felt like the show was starting to move toward a conclusion.

I particularly liked the interaction between Peggy and Sam. It's been so long since we've seen her acknowledge the child she gave up for adoption, and I love how Sam just listened. No judgment, no well-meaning advice - he just listened, and you could tell he understood and didn't lose any respect for her as some might have, especially back then. I have no idea where this show will finally end up, but if those two wind up together, I'll be happy.

I also liked Pete and Trudy back, perhaps not together, but fighting for a singular cause together. And the 300 year old feud is Mad Men black humor at its best and so, so Pete Campbell. Loved it. My roommate hates Pete, but I will defend that man to my deathbed. Yes, he's an elitist prick, but something about him is so endearing. He's our elitist prick.

Can't believe only 3 more episodes are left. I started watching when the first season premiered in 2007. It's been quite the journey.

I dont see Campbell as an elitist prick at all. A couple of seasons back he was the only one to see through the bigotry.

I see him as a typical New Yorker, just direct and you know where you stand. ALl the other characters are about veneer and hiding who you really are. He's the only authentic one in that regard. I love Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

It was great to see Joan ready to fight Hobart, and not put up with Ferg's attitude. Just a shame Roger couldn't/wouldn't back her.

Don going to Saint Paul sets up the last two episodes nicely. Where is Don is going to go?

I'll leave this here:

My7EYlL.gif

I don't get any sense so far, that Don actually gives that much of a **** that he has lost his family, that he has divorced a second time, that he is entirely disconnected.

It doesn't seem to matter to him at all.

I hope Matthew Weiner doesn't have a stupid ending like he did with the Sopranos. He is directing the last two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Best episode in a while.

Got a bad vibe off the new darker office straightaway. And well things turned sour for Joan right from teh start.

"it's an octopus pleasuring a lady" hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is Mad men on Netflix.
    Because I can't find it there.

Mad Men is, up to first half of season 7 is on Netflix US (if you have Netflix it only takes 2 minutes to get with a DNS changer like Unotelly), HBO are rivals so don't allow their content on Netflix and said they never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Loved this weeks episode, but all of it feels like the end now.

Great scene with Roger and Peggy, very funny. I really thought at one
    stage that Lane Price was going to appear. Feel like Peggy will be OK, Roger
    gave her a great bit of advice.

Poor Joan. I'd say that's the end of her character arc anyway. Pete seemed
    to have adopted quite well.

Don? I thought the shot of his social security card was quite tellling. He seems to be heading back to being good ol' Dick Whitman.
    It looks like he's pretty much done with advertising, maybe even New York. He's hitting the road, no job, no wife, no house, gave his money away,
    kids don't need him.....it's almost as if Don Draper never even existed. Metaphorically, I think he's already fallen through the window.
    Great choice of song at the end too, disconnected, rootless.

Where does everyone see it ending up, or would like to see it ending up?
    I think Don Draper might die in the sense that he ends up with nothing. Dick Whitman has already 'died'.
    Maybe he'll reinvent himself again?

Advertisement