Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men Season 7 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

QuOWhPV.jpg

Never forget :(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

I like to think:

EHzSQQF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

I have to say that was the most satisfying finale of any series I've ever watched.
    I can understand the Peggy annoyance, but Peggy was always annoying.
    Great wrap up with all the other characters with no need for ridiculous flashforwards or seeing the forced play out of their individual stories, the ending with the advert was just perfect.

Off to google who did actually come up with that advert!
    http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-lore-hilltop-story loved that there was an Irish connection in there! and who knew McCann Erikson was an actual company!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

QuOWhPV.jpg

Chauncy!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

betty house doesn't have a maid anymore ? looking after children etc

• Advertisement

Dons returns to MaCann and produces the Coke ad.
    he did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I thought the ending was quite beautiful. It's interesting that people see Don as a powerful, rich man. Yet on the inside he feels so different. It teaches us a lesson that is relevant to all our lives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I rather liked the finale. It was low key, beautiful, well-written and executed, imo. Sure, it smacked very much of a showrunner's 'giving fans what they want, whilst still keeping it my own' type way of concluding things. There were a few bits that linked in with the pilot, namely the key relationships that have been there from the get go. Everyone got some profile here and it had the other usual elements such as lines that appear to mean one thing, but having broader implication, or can be read another way when you think. It was tinged with sentimentality, but not achingly so as Hollywood can be inclined to do. This was pretty much broken only by Don's phone call. Loved Peggy's 'what? what? what?' in response to Stan. Sally and Bobby's in the kitchen was tender.

Great Coke ad and bonus point awarded for Bert and Ernie on the TV set in Joan's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

he did?

It is open to individual interpretation but that's what I took from the final scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,343 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think Don was just doing Coke at the end, tripping balls man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

A genius ending to a genius show.

Yet again, Roger gets the line of the show. "I translated your speech into pig latin." "That was a joke."

I'm now utterly depressed it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I found it really moving.

That coke ad is part of my childhood. Wow. That was an amazing ending.

It is open to individual interpretation but that's what I took from the final scenes.
    it seems to be what all the media are taking from it, now that I read it, didn't get that at the time of watching

so that smile on his face is him coming up with perhaps a germ of an idea for coca cola?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

A good end to a great series. It will be a long time before I watch another drama as good as Mad Men.

I'll miss Rogers one liners most of all: “He might lose his foot.” “Just when he got it in the door.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

So long Don, we hardly knew ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Nicely wrapped up.

Yeah, Peggy and Stan was pretty much expected, but their final scene was rom com material. Could have been done different.
    I wouldn't see her working with Joan.

Not sure what kicked the feels more. Don and the randomer man crying, or him calling Betty. :(

Going to miss Roger
    R1dNIbK.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

that quote from 'Leonard' in the finale is really great.

“You spend your whole life thinking you’re not getting it, people aren’t giving it to you. Then you realize: They’re trying, and you don’t even know what it is.”

did Don have a rant in a previous episode that finished with 'you dont even know what IT is'? cant think of it.

very satisfied with finale now after taking some time to think about it. Roger has some of best lines ever in tv will really miss this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Great ending, after I watched it I stuck on the first episode ever, (Peggy, Joan and Roger in particular look so different!). Amazing to contrast the relationship between Don and Peggy, in the final show, he's like a lost child on the phone to her and she's the mature adult, in the first episode after she comes onto him (sort of) and he dresses her down ("I'm not you're boyfriend") it's the reverse. Looking forward to re watching the whole thing, wonder what the next thing as good as that will be to come along, any contenders? I'd rate my top 3 drama shows ever as

1. Mad Men
    2. Twin Peaks
    3. Northern Exposure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don said three things on the phone to Peggy. He broke his vows, and he took another man's name. The other was about children. I didn't quite catch it. Anyone?

I think he said he "scandalised" his children?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

That's what I thought I heard. Mental image of Sally walking in on him and Linda Cardellini's character came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

His daughter Sally saw him ridin yer wan from ER

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Don said three things on the phone to Peggy. He broke his vows, and he took another man's name. The other was about children. I didn't quite catch it. Anyone?

I thought he said that he 'scandalized his child' which I took to be a reference to the time when Sally caught him
    with the neighbour, Sylvia, mid-coitus. A thing like that, as Pete might say.

Matthew Weiner confirms that Don did go back to advertising and "write" the Coca-Cola ad in the end.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mad-men-series-finale-matthew-797302?facebook_20150520

CPL 593H

that cactus is done for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Now that was TV done right. An excellent send off for the characters. Roger finished with another great line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yep, those last few episodes were very good.

What's this show like on blu-ray? I've no point of comparison.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

it seems to be what all the media are taking from it, now that I read it, didn't get that at the time of watching

so that smile on his face is him coming up with perhaps a germ of an idea for coca cola?

There is also some scenes in the second last episode that allude to him working for Coca Cola.
    The lady lying beside the swimming pool....was that not some sort of ad for them once upon a time....shortly afterwards, he is fixing the Coca Cola vending machine and the motel owner is saying that he doesn't want them to change. They still have the same branding now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What's this show like on blu-ray? I've no point of comparison.
    :confused:

Advertisement