Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

According to the tags it’s the Channel version, I didn’t go for the BR2 (about €170 in Kildare Village) as is it would have been a bit too much for what I need (I also have a very old Musto offshore jacket with inbuilt harness if I ever need it) however I preferred the BR2 salopettes to the BR1 as they look like they are more hard wearing.

Can’t really argue with those prices!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Couple of differences there with the BR1 I use for offshore.

Fleece lined hood. And more adjustable and has a face wrap.

Hand warmer pockets as well as and separate to the zip ones.

nf6WXYV.jpg
    7CwzLCW.jpg
    SjsmicI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Death over at cowes week on Friday. Apparently they were getting over 40knots and a hammering

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/cowes-week-sailor-dies-after-friday-racing-incident/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Oh dear!

High tide in about 3 hours, so hopefully she can be got off with minimal damage

French family of 5 on board, RNLI assisted them after they broke mooring. Hope they got the boat off the rocks ok.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0814/984928-yacht-rescue-skerries/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

French family of 5 on board, RNLI assisted them after they broke mooring. Hope they got the boat off the rocks ok.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0814/984928-yacht-rescue-skerries/

On the harbour wall now so must be ok or she would be a lot further up.

20180814_154052_zpssps4w0vs.jpg

Dunno if it's the same boat but yoke like that skerries rescue moored up in howth tonight. No flags on her

• Advertisement

some ones not happy but ICRA were told last year that it was going to be a disaster.

https://afloat.ie/sail/icra/item/40280-cruiser-champion-john-maybury-gives-his-view-on-galway-bay-icra-nationals-cancellation
    I’m angry about the cancellation of the Nationals, to say the least.

The fundamental issue was the venue and whatever politics were involved in bringing it to Galway in the first place. With the lock gates and priority to commercial shipping traffic, there was no way Galway was going to work for the National Championships.

The conditions we got would not have posed much of a problem at any other normal venue, and the championships would have been run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

neris wrote: »
    some ones not happy but ICRA were told last year that it was going to be a disaster.

https://afloat.ie/sail/icra/item/40280-cruiser-champion-john-maybury-gives-his-view-on-galway-bay-icra-nationals-cancellation

ICRA has become a joke, internal politics have ruined it and forced out any of the good people that made it work in the past.. Yes, campaign for a west of Ireland venue by all means but maybe poll the members first to see if they will turn up (>500nm delivery for most) before committing.

Madness.

They were polled after last year's champs and the majority of boats answered they wouldn't go. Icra wouldn't release the 2017 survey

The need to realise that they as not as popular as they think and go back to combining with real events like DL / Cork / Calves / Sovereigns.

Or they can sit there and wonder why nobody turns up....

It runs ok as a stand alone event in Dublin but there's much bigger fleets in Dublin to combine and then the visitors from cork mainly add to that. There's no fleet on the west coast and the north are a disaster. The UK have no problem running major championships out of the one area

https://twitter.com/HowthLifeboat/status/1029018830453006337?s=19

Howth are due to be shown on it on September 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't know what the make of the Golden Globe Race, is it a good thing or an ego trip for it's race director. All of them seem to be having big problems with wind vanes and breakages, wouldn't like to go into the Southern Ocean with one. And now one boat does a 360 luckly skipper is ok http://goldengloberace.com/are-wiig-dismasted-400-miles-sw-of-cape-town/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Don't know what the make of the Golden Globe Race, is it a good thing or an ego trip for it's race director. All of them seem to be having big problems with wind vanes and breakages, wouldn't like to go into the Southern Ocean with one. And now one boat does a 360 luckly skipper is ok http://goldengloberace.com/are-wiig-dismasted-400-miles-sw-of-cape-town/

I like the event because the rules disallow ‘big money’ i.e. shore bases, support vessels, ultra hi-tech, etc. which makes it possible for ordinary sailors (extraordinary?) to compete. Only yachts and equipment similar to that used by Sir R K-J in 1968 are allowed, they must be +/-10metre production hulls designed before 1968(?) and have a full-length keel. It’s an endurance trial for skipper and vessel. How well Wiig coped with the dismasting shows how tough and professional these guys are.

August is a winter month, so the boats have hit a seasonal storm. Wiig’s position is given as 400 miles SW of Cape Town, which is not very far into the westerlies of the southern latitudes (Cape Town is about 34 degS and for reference Cape Horn is 56degS.) His position is a reasonable place to be ‘technically’ because he should be clear by a realistic safety margin of the Agulhas Bank (S. African continental shelf) which runs out about 150 miles south of the Cape. That bank, along with the meeting of the Indian and Atlantic Oceans, can result in huge waves.

It’s not for nothing that the Cape of Good Hope was originally known as the 'Cape of Storms'.

the 35-45 knot winds dont sound too bad but the 7-8 meter seas the article mentions are the killer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice photo leading in to the article :D:D

:eek: I assume that's Howth!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :eek: I assume that's Howth!

Yep early 90s. An impala. All the crew walked away grand the owner ended up in hospital. Boat was a right off

Yep early 90s. An impala. All the crew walked away grand the owner ended up in hospital. Boat was a right off

I remember that but can't remember which one it was. Sailed an Impala there for a good few years, even did offshores (ISORA) in it.. fun times.

Which one was it?

Dont know the name of the boat but was owned by a guy called Turner had an X yacht after

Anyone know if there's an autumn racing series in dun Laoghaire over September & October?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The winter series will probably start in October as the current series will not finish until September 29.

Last year it ran from Sunday 5 NOV to Sunday 17th December, so is it follows the same this year it will probably be Sunday 7th Nov to Sunday 16th December, will probably be announced in the next week or so, and if you want to keep an eye on www.dbsc.org for updates.

The DL Turkey Shoot starts the first Sunday in November. Nothing in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Fixed the dates....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Quite fond of this channel and their restoration efforts. They're going electric too. I'm someone who knows nothing about sailing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement