Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

neris wrote: »

I almost posted that myself earlier, we all love our sailing, but that guy took it to the next level!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Went for a sail in Howth yesterday, haven't been there in a long time.

'twas nice to see the traditional cheer and reply to the race winner amongst the 17's in the harbour moorings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Steve wrote: »

'twas nice to see the traditional cheer and reply to the race winner amongst the 17's in the harbour moorings.

Cringe...... I fupin hate that hip ray bollix

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Cringe...... I fupin hate that hip ray bollix

Ah, it reminded me of sailing there as a nipper with my dad... I was the youngest on the boat last weekend and had to explain to the other crew what the shouts were... and I'm not far off 50! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A couple of lads with far more brain power and concentration than me have worked out that the longest possible uninterrupted passage by sea is Sonmiani, Las Bela, Balochistan, Pakistan (25◦170 N, 66◦400 E) to Karaginsky District, Kamchatka Krai, Russia (58◦370 N, 162◦140 E) (19,939.6 miles)

opener.jpg

• Advertisement

Be even longer if they passed outside Madagascar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi Folks,

Recently got my little cruiser going down the Shannon there but very disappointed in the rope that i bought off Amazon, when i pulled at it too hard at one of the locks it stretched and at one part its gotten mega thin i.e. looks like it could snap. What is the right kind of rope I should be buying to moor/control the boat?

I also got a telescopic pole from Amazon which is now banjaxed. Lesson learned on buying cheap stuff. Any recommendations there?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Recently got my little cruiser going down the Shannon there but very disappointed in the rope that i bought off Amazon, when i pulled at it too hard at one of the locks it stretched and at one part its gotten mega thin i.e. looks like it could snap. What is the right kind of rope I should be buying to moor/control the boat?

I also got a telescopic pole from Amazon which is now banjaxed. Lesson learned on buying cheap stuff. Any recommendations there?

Any of the marine shops will have good mooring rope https://marineparts.ie/above-deck/rope-rigging-and-splicing/anchor-rope/tiptolest-3-strand-polyester-rope-black-sinks-8mm/ just drop in and tell them the size of your boat and they will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

never buy cheap marine products

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Go visit your local bricks and mortar chandlery and buy some decent rope. It's literally all you have to secure your pride and joy (never mind investment) to the shore. Never skimp on mooring lines and don't use any old stuff lying around or bought cheap.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Go visit your local bricks and mortar chandlery and buy some decent rope. It's literally all you have to secure your pride and joy (never mind investment) to the shore. Never skimp on mooring lines and don't use any old stuff lying around or bought cheap.

Absolutely, and whatever amount someone saves by buying cheap marine products, they should donate the difference/savings to the RNLI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

THIS is my experience of cheap so-called 'marine' products

THIS is my experience of cheap so-called 'marine' products

wouldnt touch lidl for anyhthing to go on a boat. stuck for money and oilskin bottoms years ago and bought a pair in Lidl. Would have been off having just gone out in the clothes id underneath coz they would have been the level of wetness either way.

Reading the afloat website last while it seems to be becoming one big advertising editorial for north sails & UK sails.

That clip is at least 3 years old..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Still give me the willies every time I see even the cover shot:eek:

Did I say it was live streamed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Did I say it was live streamed...

I think Steve's point is that the clip has been posted by several people in this forum on many occasions over the last few years.:)

I think Steve's point is that the clip has been posted by several people in this forum on many occasions over the last few years.:)

Yes, no offence meant. :)

• Advertisement

Cracking weekend to be out on a boat around Dublin. Light winds and prefect Short & t-shirt sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Somebody's boats washed ashore in Kerry, lost it's keel too https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0614/970457-yacht/

Was there not a issue before with Hanse yachts keels falling off. She looks in good nick but hate to see what the internal structure & frames are like

Was there not a issue before with Hanse yachts keels falling off. She looks in good nick but hate to see what the internal structure & frames are like

Someone posted a pic of a Hanse on the Irish Racing FB page a few weeks ago that was lost due to losing its keel en route to Scotland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭BowWow

Cant believe it was so long ago...

http://www.sail.ie/megawat/megawat_sink.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

The Golden Globe Race starts on the 1st of July, with the fleet currently racing from Falmouth to Les Sables d'Olonne (the GGR start/finish). Our own Gregor McGuckin isn't doing bad at all in this little taster.

ueKnJJ9h.jpg?1

It'll be very interesting to see how he does when the race proper begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

And a video of Robin Knox-Johnston sailing Suhaili at the start, really impressive given he sailed that boat around the world in 1968.

https://www.facebook.com/sailandpower/videos/1742512209171634/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Conchir wrote: »
    And a video of Robin Knox-Johnston sailing Suhaili at the start, really impressive given he sailed that boat around the world in 1968.

https://www.facebook.com/sailandpower/videos/1742512209171634/
    Looking great. She's had a couple of re-fits, one recently.
    Robin is a Legend - in the true sense of the word.

Advertisement