Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tom Dolan around a third of the way around Ireland in his latest attempt to beat the speed record.

What record he's going to beat (or not) is kind of up for debate - he has an OBR as no single-handed record can be undertaken any more - but doing all the sailing himself. So not single handed, but not exactly double-handed either.

Anyway, best of luck to him!

Looking a bit ominously calm further down the west coast.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why can't single handed records be undertaken?

And to save others googling, OBR = onboard reporter.

Whatever powers-that-be they are decided about 10 or 15 years ago that you can't keep proper watch sailing solo, so whoever has the last record (Mick Liddy, I think, maybe?) has it forever, nobody will officially stand over another record attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

After a number of issues and the P'Tit Bonhomme in particular I'd have thought the issues with foreign crew were appreciated across the industry but......

"MCIB Says Regulations Breached on Fishing Vessel Involved in Serious Deck Injury Incident Off East Coast"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The storm has arrived in Dun Laoghaire

When did Seascapes start up again on RTE 1??

I've really missed it, had no idea it was going again - but happened to turn on the radio tonight and there it was!

Hurray!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭POBox19

Me too, happened to randomly turn on the radio and there was Lorna Siggins and Seascapes.

The thing is, this is a short series to celebrate 200 years of the RNLI so it won't last long., You can listen back on the RTÉ Player.

• Advertisement

MCIB report into a yacht that was smashed up down in West Cork last year after getting wrapped up in discarded fishing gear.

https://www.mcib.ie/_fileupload/Documents/reports/mcib-327-sv-inish-ceinn/2024-03-26-02-05-MCIB%20Inish%20Ceinn%20Report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭Tow

Unless I missed it, the report makes no mention of how close they were to the shore when the incident occurred.

The vessel was being pushed quickly towards the shore by the wind and tide. The Skipper tried the engine again but there was a stronger smell of burning and the propeller was fouled. 

I have seen it my self several times were yachts gets pushed up on rocks and harbour walls when the wind is blowing onshore. You have to give your self enough space to react to emergencies.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is why I love having a furling genoa, so if the engine ever does get rendered inoperable, you at least have something to hopefully fall back on...

In this case they were under sail (main only I think*) they got caught in the net which stopped/slowed them moving, so they started the engine. They were too close to anchor, 'as the stern would have swung around to hit the rocks'.

I had a scare when sailing a dinghy as a child of losing momentum and almost getting blown on to rocks.

* She had a furling main.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

There's a chart/map on it showing the position when they became disabled and then where they ended up. They were close enough to sherkin to be easily blown ashore. It's amazing how quick a boat can drift with wind or tide or both

From the report:

"The planned course was around 0.5 miles from the southern shore of Sherkin Island."

Right, here's an odd one…..

I'm just back from a very salty race in the Med. I threw my gear in a bath of warm water as I always do, but it's my first time doing it with a jacket I got last year in Decathlon - a Tribord one.

https://www.decathlon.ie/p/327999-132801-men-s-sailing-jacket-waterproof-jacket-sailing-500-grey-black.html

The fecking thing has filled itself with water somehow, and I cannot figure out how to empty it! I've turned it every which way, and I can hear the water sloshing around inside it and it weighs a ton, but the water just will not drain out!

Is there a zip somewhere that I don't know about? Or some secret outlet that will drain the water from between the layers of the jacket??

Help!!!

Normal sailing coats don't have the layers joined together at the bottom etc. It is hard enough to lift someone from the water without their coat adding to their weight.

I totally agree, and will be rethinking this as my offshore jacket as a result!

I hung it outside draped over an upturned linen basket and it's more or less dried out, or at least it's not sloshing any more! - the pockets, which don't turn out properly, feel like they're going to take a week to dry properly.

How all that water got in in the first place is a mystery, it was in the bath for 10 mins at most.

I feel a strongly worded email to Decathlon coming on!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The water entered through the lining which would not be waterproof. Place it across a frame/bin lining side facing down and it should drain. I'd still write to decathlon as it is a serious design flaw in a sailing jacket.

• Advertisement

I did, and I did!

It did eventually drain/seep over a few hours.

I got on to Decathlon, and brought the jacket back to them and got a full refund - I didn't go in demanding it (or even expecting it) as I'd bought it over a year ago, but they offered as it was a safety issue rather than a warranty/ change of mind issue - so fair play to them for that.

They said they've sold gazillions of these jackets, and never had this reported to them, but seem to be taking it seriously.

I'm sure everyone's seen this at this stage. What is with irish people wandering down piers during storm warnings? Reports that it was a 7 year old pulled from the water. 7 year old don't go wandering down piers in a storm so there's an adult somewhere who's responsible for this

You are right, described in places as an older man.
    From the Irish Times report: The child, believed to be aged around seven, was walking with a man and another child near Dún Laoghaire’s East Pier on Saturday night when she fell into the water. - - The section of pier which the girl fell from was said to be slippery, covered by seaweed and difficult to walk along. It is understood she fell into the water during the stormy conditions, at which point the man and other young girl she was with began to shout for help and the emergency services were notified.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From where the rescue took place, quite clear they were walking on the 'backside' of the pier. Madness!

By the way, lucky the child was not waring same jacket as Heidi!!! 😓

I often watch people here in Greystones go in for a swim in horrendous conditions/large waves and it makes me mad! Not about the individuals stupidity, but, mad for risk they then pose to those who are called out to rescue them! I have seen a few scary/hairy rescues of people who simply should not have gone into the water in the first place.

From the RStGYC weekly journal

Emergency services were alerted and
    the Dun Laoghaire D Class Lifeboat launched to assist. The rescue
    culminated in one of the crew jumping from the Lifeboat into the sea to
    successfully rescue the child. The crew in question was our very own
    Andrew Sykes, a member of the Lifeboat Station in Dun Laoghaire who is
    also a Member of the Club and in addition our acting Head Boatman.

I've also heard that she was kept afloat by a puffajacket that held its air and kept her afloat.

It was approaching hurricane in Iveragh - the outer ring numbers are Knots

One for Fergal!

http://www.portcarlingboats.com/alzeda-the-ultimate-in-a-gentlemans-racer/?fbclid=IwAR1TIK-y1if6KDS6z4X0gDHaS8nj9KiMvCqBEaQEVWmhgz4KNoCYroiMaGo_aem_AajlhlKgkkf6Ie80sNfAq6my31uOuOVCJzyAaPXe1Xvp9sEcSsBlRbMaop-qDxlsOGwWgEy6hNScGA9Afc266Jq1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

She is nice alright, I see my first build is up for sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/boat/36706398?fbclid=IwAR3UgWBK_VJoVnlbJiQUDKKg8JKLrQCBQ_LTlZ93CnyG03PZOPpyIFoGttg_aem_AaijC8AZKiDf3NDsCyHag1czzKcGZpLo03IaqBGLat-jmFKN-mneQilGGmUba1e_1wN1C67P34oiYSFSU5LYMmNV

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What happened the vintage Mercury you had on it?

The current engine doesn't do it justice, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Don't know maybe he sold it separately, yep the new engine takes the whole look off her 🙄

Advertisement