Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭POBox19

From the RORC facebook page:

How To Follow The Rolex Fastnet Race

https://bit.ly/44T8XzW

The historic 50th edition of the Royal Ocean Racing Club’s Rolex Fastnet Race sets sail with the first start at 1300 BST this Saturday (22 July) from Cowes, Isle of Wight bound for Cherbourg-en-Cotentin, France via the Fastnet Rock off southwest Ireland.

HOW TO WATCH:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@RORCRacing

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/RoyalOceanRacingClub

Post edited by POBox19 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

1st 24 hours of the Fastnet has been carnage. Dismastings, grounding, broken hulls & a sinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

https://youtu.be/8UL8nyjs7r4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's late on Wednesday, 4 of the last 5 boats are just rounding the Fastnet now...... paddy last boat is only half way to the rock from the Scillies.....

You'd want great patience!!!

3rd last is an Irish boat from Waterford or Wexford

• Advertisement

Waterford.

Met them at plenty events.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ouch!!

Another one sent to me

Heard a few boats in Clontarf broke their moorings too.

Just aswell last night's Isora was postponed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭Tow

Where was the first photo taken?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

Royal Irish

Thanks. It looked familiar, but I could not place it. Irish Lights building in the background.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Another angle

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

Laser/ILCA nationals getting ready to launch after a long postponement

See the Dublin Bay & buoy is down aswell as all the other Irish lights weather buoys because of Twitter/X policies

I noticed that yesterday..

is it because they’d re effectively bot accounts which publish automatic tweets every 30 minutes?

Not sure but the Fastnet wasnt working properly before the Fasntnet race started and I dont think has come back online properly. Every report it sent out was saying it was blowing 130 knots so not sure if that was Twitter or a software glitch with Irish Lights

• Advertisement

Dublin bay and a few of the other weather buoys are back up and working on twitter/X

While out for a long overdue sail on Sunday I discovered that I’ve lost my VHF aerial/windex…

I was wondering why I didn’t hear a peep on ch16 at all…..

I guess it was the recent storm that finally took her away!!

When I replace it, I’m pretty sure I’ll have to run the new coaxial cable down through the mast to the foot where the deck connections are, as as fas as I’d be aware, there is no connection point at the mast head right? So it’ll be a bit of a pain to replace!!

I also noticed (while sailing through a patch of fog) that my radar reflector is also gone!!! So it was either taken by the storm, or it was stolen….. Im guessing the former as it’s been held onto an inner shroud with 2 cable ties for the last 5 years or so…

The base of your antenna may have a socket (SO239) the coax is plugged (PL259) into.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I had to replace a broken aerial a while back. There was a mast socket BUT the ’whip’ replacement had the coax cable pre-fitted, so it had about 10 metres to be fed through and a new coax plug fitted to the radio end when finished. A heavy iron (not SS) shackle pin on fishing line is ideal to drop down and a magnet can be used to help if stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you're having to run new cable in the mast, it might be neater to just run it straight to the radio than having a connector at the foot of the mast which is surely a vulnerability?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

i would imagine it would be preferable if you can disconnect all the mast cables at a single point like a junction box at the base of the mast in order to facilitate removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Now that's how to deal with cheats.

So it wasn't skill or rookie luck triumphing over experience.

French rookie Benoît Tuduri excluded from La Solitaire du Figaro Paprec, Pierre Daniellot disqualified from stages 2 and 3 of the race

Following the inspection of the on-board computers of all the Figaro BENETEAU 3s

looks like a lot of crap entered the Liffey up river due to the recent heavy rains and ended up collecting at the marina in Poolbeg!!

And another…

• Advertisement

Some amount of plastic bottles in that crap

Advertisement