Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Toilets have been installed, but I'm sure you'll find a problem with this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dun Laoighaire is unsavory and dodgy at night now? Gimme a break! I was there last Thursday night and it's about as civilised as Dublin gets. If I could afford to live around there I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Would have to agree. Moved from Pearse St to DL about 2 years ago and am loving it. DL has it's share of street drinkers and undesirables, but the level of threat and nuisance is so far below Dublin city centre it's a virtual paradise in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Dun laoghaire was class on sunday.. music on georges street and a great atmosphere... so nice to eat out on a pedestrianised street...

But what can you eat there that doesnt involve chips.

Do you not think its a depressing place, I would rather sit in my nice back garden rather than look at empty retail units, there is nothing to look at there that would lift your spirits.

How much would a few tins of paint and some flower boxes cost,I think you would have to be really hard up for somewhere to spend your time if you think hanging out opposite a hospital and Tesco and an unending line if charity shops is fun.

• Advertisement

Depressing place? Compared to the vast majority of the Dublin area it's a lively interesting paradise. Most of Dublin is just endless bland suburbs without any proper urban villages. DL is one of the few places with its own character and feel. It's a wonderful place and the bike lanes and pedestrianisation are making it even better.

The town is very depressing particularly that area where the square is, no sun from 3pm in July😀, surrounded by grotty shop units, a sure sign of the quality of a street is the number of tatty charity shops, no one with money is going to go there.

I wouldnt walk around Dunlaoghaire at night except on the seafront where people are.

I dont like my daughters walking in the towneither, never see Gardai on foot or on bikes snd there are too many dark lanes off that square.

Without buses and cars it will be deserted at 4pm soon, do the cafes near it even open in the evening.???Once people avoid it it will become a no go area, all this was tried before and Georges Street reverted back, why do you think this time will be different.

I live in a very nice area and I feel safe wherever I walk but i only walk where there are buses and cars and lights and houses, if I lived in a rough area then I probably would compare DL to that, I think its unsavoury at night time, too many drug addicts hanging around not much going on away from the seafront.

You must live a very sheltered life if you wont walk anywhere without car traffic. You sound super paranoid to me, I don't think you'd ever leave the house if you lived where I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Taxiperson, even as someone who objected to the temporary pedestrianisation myself, for a few practical reasons, I would say you are massively exaggerating in every aspect. Massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sure no one would ever want to spend any time there

• Advertisement

Absolutely not, I wouldnt walk around Dunlaoghaire at night time except maybe on the seafront where other people are.

You cant even cycle down Georges street now en route to Monkstown etc, its all daft.

Anyway, give it till end of September, it will be dark then at 6pm and cold and what is going to be open in that area to attract anyone.

I mean, its not like we have tapas bars with a view of the sea, its grotty Lower Georges Street, could they not have pedestrianised Patrick Street, thats a bit more attractive.

Each to their own though, I will have the stove lit and my feet up.

Thats such a silly tweet, sure where is the proof, 13 per cent of what.

I mean I could count three people walking past my house at 8 AM and six people at 9, thats a 100 per cent increase😀🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️

While I disagree with Taxiperson generally, 13% is a bit pathetic.

13% increase does not warrant the removal of the buses from their high demand stops again next year.

Did you read the details on the linked communication?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

While it's good to see footfall has increased I'd be interested to see what footfall was in say June 2019 and July 2019 as a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

While I'm not at all against the closing of the street to traffic, I hate seeing a 'fake news' approach like this to justify it. Comparing footfall in June to footfall in July is comparing apples and oranges. The best spell of glorious weather was in July. There were 5 Saturdays in July, 4 in June. July is a day longer than June! On that basis, I think you'd expect a 13% differential even if no changes had been made.

What figure would not be disingenuous? 2020 is a total outlier.

2019 perhaps? Maybe, if the global High Street hadn't changed utterly since.

Maybe they don't have the data for either anyway. The month prior is probably as good as any, or as good as it gets.

Either way, I don't think we're looking at a complete revolution of footfall to justify doing it again. Not against the anecdotal tales of long traffic delays consequent to that and the seafront cycleway combined. I do hope Mr Burns has some data for that and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

I had the same thought. The daily numbers are reported for July on DLR’s website. If you exclude the last day in July, a Saturday, to make the comparison a little fairer, the increase is 11%

Footfall in the first two weeks of August was 7% below the last two weeks in July. I somehow doubt DLR will be tweeting about the August numbers any time soon.

so all in all little gain and possibly within the fluctuations of normality pre pedestrianisation?

And wait until September when the children are back in school.

I suppose all these plans give officials something to do.

Has there been any events there, eg poetry reading was mentioned at one stage.

Has anything been done with the old library, I liked going there. I dont like the new library at all, too big and too many stairs, too much going on and the stock is poor, same with all the libraries, it takes weeks to get new books if you request them, eighty people etc waiting on one copy.

oh well,we need hundreds of thousands spent on daft plans, got to get our priorities right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Dún Laoghaire is a fantastic town, lively, interesting and packed with character. The only depressing thing is the constant negativity and bad mouthing of the town exhibited here recently. Give it a rest, this used to be a great thread, full of lively discussion and opposing views. Now it is been driven into the ground with the constant pessimism and disapproval!!!

My tuppence worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

This is bizzare. First you make DL sound like a scene from the film 'The Warriors' and now you're bad mouthing new library...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

While i disagree with literally everything that poster has said the library is an absolute monstrosity, it was pushed through by the notorious owen keegan who was the town planner in Dun Laoighaire before being promoted to DCC. He is also the singular person to blame for the downfall of the DL highstreet due to his jihad on cars being able to park anywhere for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The downfall in Dun Laoighre is not down to car parking. There’s rarely a free space, so clearly not a deterrent

It’s dundrum stopping centre, and Carrickmines.

the junkies from the clinic don’t help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes now there's parking again, but when dundrum opened in the mid 2000s Owen Keegan was just getting started in his role in DL, he nuked car parking all around the town and massivley increased prices in an effort to force people onto buses or cycle. Naturally people decided to just stop visiting DL altogether as there was a new larger, far more accessible indoor place to go with massive amounts of affordable parking so thats where they went. He triggered the downfall of DL highstreet and the ensuing financial crisis in 2008 finished it off.

Go down to DL and ask anyone left who has owned a shop since the noughties what they think of Owen Keegan and you will hear some very angry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Aren't there 4,500 car parking spaces in DL? surely that is more than enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I had a shop there, I don’t blame Owen keegan. But people like to point a finger. Often it’s not justified.

look at how the green get blamed for everything, even though most were in the process before they got into power

Keegan was never town planner. He was County Manager in DL before he moved to DCC.

Street parking in DL is still cheaper than Dundrum for the first hour, so there is no deterrent for short shopping trips. What's this obsession with parking fees all about anyway? Why do the better off sections of society expect their transport choices to be subsidised with free or cheap storage space for their private property? Who's going to be put off a significant shopping trip by parking fees that are less than the price of a coffee or a scone?

He seems to have an endless list of complaints, so when the factual errors and exaggerations are pointed out, he jumps off onto something new.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What a load of old shite. That 13% figure is completely meaningless. What was the comparative figure in 2020, 2019, 2010. etc. etc. Are they going to continue producing these spurious statistics to prop up their eventual continuation of the pedestrianisation? The spin has begun, and they aren't in any mood to undo the "great work" they have completed to date. Just like the other "temporary" changes, this one will remain, complete with statistics to show us all what a great bunch of lads we are.

Advertisement