Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who does he think he is, suggesting that you could delivery pizzas by cargo bike around Deans Grange.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I cycle in on to get to work at the airport. Many commuters use it , the N11 is useless to me.

No one carries 20 piazzas for delivery , that’s just daft.

Im sorry but we cant close a road that carries hundreds of cars every hour just so you can cycle to the airport a bit quicker.

will we make all the roads to the airport one way too.

I mean where does this all end.

How come all cycling advocates and all letter writers to media etc are all men, roads are for everyone to use and women need to be more vocal about this policy to make driving more difficult, this is what these policies are about and its hard to know who is behind the agenda, its not the local residents in most areas, I know that from the battle over a proposed road closure in my area, I believe locals would have removed barriers etc themselves if that closure was forced on us.

safer , not quicker. There’s far more non drivers than drivers. Why should roads be reserved for the elite driver fraternity?

lots of female cyclists out there , very sexist to suggest there isn’t. Making it safer will encourage more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

400 yards of cycleway will make zero difference to China and India and Brazil burning away the planets resources.

Though Ireland has obligations, and we should divest ourselves of unsustainable energy solutions, anyone who thinks what Ireland does is in any way a consequential contribution to improving the planet's environment, is a fool.

Apart from that, those people you quote are simply in a minority within their community and that's the long and short of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It'd be great for traffic management in the area if that particular SuperValu wasn't there. I can't think of a more badly located supermarket. A single car turning right into its car park is enough to block the entire junction behind.

And provisions for safe cycling is a minority, cause and effect. Improving the facilities will increase the numbers

Right turns should be banned in many locations , they contribute greatly to congestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This thread is good fun now it has its own sandbox, I know some of you are hamming it up but things I have enjoyed this week include :

The use of another randomers tweets to support a position

A motorist donning the lycra Jersey to refer to the elite driver fraternity (I'd imagine the net worth of a herd of mamils seen on a Sunday for exceeds the average m50 users)

The image of probably the least appetising pizza ever seen as part of the cargo bike pizza delivery drive (really with the availability of mutti pizza sauces and pizzadapiero bases you'd have to question the sanity of anyone ordering a pizza from a takeaway but I digress)

Anyway keep it up its one of boards most enjoyable threads!

Honestly, if you have to play the 'China' card as your best excuse for not taking action to destroy the planet, it is a sign of a very, very weak argument. We absolutely have to do our bit, even more so if China and others aren't doing their bit. It's not an excuse for not taking action.

I'm not quite sure how you worked out the 'minority in their community' bit, given that the public consultation suggests the reverse;

China are actually doing quite good with introducing RES and electric vehicles. Also there system load is hugely attributable to the developed world. And if we take action , it’ll trickle back.

but to bring up China and India I’d a piss poor excuse to go nothing especially coming from someone who says they are a town planner. It’s really pathetic and alarming that someone in a position to encourage change has a mindset of someone 40 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Just back from Dun Laoire and quiet day for traffic but fierce snarl up at York Road/Crofton Rd junction. I think it was buses from three directions were getting stuck getting thru and not just the turning ones.

Yeah I've heard the system of buses coming from the terminus and using the Harbour roundabout is not working at all and at peak times delays are acutely bad.

Yeah well when they stop building community coal fired power stations, I'll stop pointing the finger.

Everyone knows these so-called non-statutory consultations are a joke, as was found in Strand Road. Your friends in the cycling lobby get their pals all over the Country to make submissions and skew outcomes and that suits the Councils' agendae, but its been exposed. Its time to put these procedures on a statutory footing and hold the scrutiny of submissions to a much higher standard, or to do things like cordoned plebiscites and so on. And that's what the Strand Road outcome basically demands, but of course Owen Keegan wants to appeal it because he is dismayed at the prospect at having to do things right.

The roundabout itself is fine. The traffic light sequencing usually suits buses turning around. Problems are caused by too much traffic further down Crofton Rd. They could alleviate that to an extent by realigning Crofton Rd and replacing all on-street parking spaces with a short stretch of bus-lane. Or redirect all buses heading out of Dún Laoghaire through Harbour Rd instead. Some drivers use it as a shortcut anyway, if they don't see anyone waiting at the new bus stop.

I really feel sorry for people living on York Road, it must be a nightmare.

The only way to revitalise Dunlaoghaire is to convert much of the retail space into housing but for this to work you need traffic to be able to move through the town.

Trying to turn ghastly lower Georges Street into some sort of a Paris Boulevard is just a pointless waste of money, nobody who goes into Dunlaoghaire wants to hang out in that location, why would you when you can relax along the seafront.

And I dont care how many extra sausages someone sells!!!

That’s some rant , saying no one wants to go something and then disregarding real world experiences from local businesses.

• Advertisement

Yeah, so still adding coal then....

Sorry Mods, way off topic now. My fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

It's that attitude that means nothing ever changes. Why bother building a social house to house a single family when there are thousands of families waiting for housing? May aswell just give up, eh? Unless, as they say, journeys of a thousand miles begin with a single step. Similarly, while 400 yards of cycleway won't make much of a difference, what if we built thousands of kilometres of it, bit by bit? What if every country did?

Maybe people would like to hang out and have a coffee or lunch or dinner after doing their shopping or before they go to the cinema or after visiting someone in the hospital? There's a whole load of reasons for people to hang out there, separate to the sea front.

You're welcome to keep pointing the finger, but it's not a reason for inaction. If anything, it is a reason for even more action.

It's fascinating that you're convinced that ONLY one side managed to 'skew outcomes' and not the well funded and well organised NIMBY campaigns. Don't why you think cordoned plebiscites would be a good idea. Locals don't own those roads.

This is about safer routes to schools, this is about economic life, so these are very much local issues.

And so long as Councillors are elected from local electoral areas and their fate is dependent on the benevolence of local voters, yeah, they kinda do.

How local is local for kids cycling to school through the area?

How local is local for business owners who don't live in the area?

And if SuperValu left the site would be redeveloped for housing.

Its an Irish owned supermarket and very popular, lots of locals walk to it, hands off our Irish shops, we have enough Lidl’s and Aldi’s.

Don’t be silly, people like to drive to the cinema and get out of that area quickly.

The cafes inside the shopping centre couldnt even survive so who is going to sit out in that location when it’s dark at 4Pm.

I don’t think you have ever actually been in Dunlaoghaire at night, it’s quite unsavoury and that area will be desolate without buses and cars, women on their own certainly won’t go near it and neither will the elderly.

I didn't say they should leave, just that it's a terrible location for a supermarket car park and contributes to traffic congestion in the area. Right turns along that stretch of road should be banned.

It's great the way you know exactly how everyone thinks and what everyone wants. Did it ever strike you that perhaps other people have different needs and wants to you?

You're making a great case for the need for regeneration though, all that unsavouriness definitely needs some changes - maybe some approach that brings more people in to spend more time in the area?

• Advertisement

It isnt my opinion, its facts.

That square in in a part of Dunlaoghaire thats unsavoury, right beside alleyways that are best avoided, its just not a great place unless you want to meet up with cans.People meeting up to drink cans dont add anything to a public space.

There is also a problem with junkies in Dunlaoghaire, most are harmless but they give the town a bad name, putting a few trees in a square where there is no life at night time, a square that loses afternoon sun at 3pm wont solve this issue.

Most of Dunlaoghaire town centre is grim and this part as the furthest from the seafront and the park is the grimmest of all.

Are there even public toilets there, if they are put in are they going to be supervised and continually cleaned.

cant imagine what the alleyway that leads to convent street will be like if the area becomes an open air drinking spot if toilets arent installed.

Advertisement