Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Mav11

Always good to challenge data but not to dismiss out of hand.

If they contain verifiable data then bring them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

To have a view or an opinion does not imply having an agenda!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement

FYI. From this mornings Irish Times. It's behind the paywall so I don't think that I can provide a link.

Re-pedestrianised

Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council also trialled a pedestrianisation scheme this summer. Lower George’s Street in Dún Laoghaire town was, on July 5th, pedestrianised, or rather re-pedestrianised, having previously been traffic free for about a decade up to 2008.

The council also issued a statement this week celebrating its success, highlighting a 13 per cent increase in footfall on the street. However, it has always been very clear that the pedestrianisation trial will be in place only until September 30th.

“We are going to follow through on what we said we will do. It is a trial, taking in the summer and September, so we can understand how it works when the schools are back and people are back from their holidays,” the council’s director of services, Robert Burns, said.

“We will then have hard data we can analyse, along with people’s opinions of how the scheme worked, and we can then make a set of recommendations to the councillors about what might happen in the future.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

When I visit the pier I park under the forty foot carpark, coming from the city direction I take a left past the bmw garage on the n31 then a right and straight down to the carpark which is on the right, I haven't been down there this year so I don't know if this is still viable way anymore.

No Phil, you will not be able to travel east along the N31. You will need to go to the next main junction and travel along the R119 through Monkstown and left at York rd to rejoin the coast Rd as per the attached screen grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Hopefully so, although a bit arrogant considering the IT article quoting Robert Burns above. I was there yesterday and was thinking that it would be shameful if the street reverted back to the way it was. Very pleasant experience since pedestrianisation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Except the street wasn't pedestrianised in the past, it was always open to public transport, hence why it was ultimately scrapped as a failed project. A lot of anger from people in the borough that the Council are steamrolling ahead with this and the other "temporary" projects. 2022 will be a vey chaotic year for traffic in Dun Laoghaire town and both the traffic and the chaos will be directly attributable to two departments of DLRCC.

Yes indeed, much better now that it has been completely pedestrianised.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apart from the cyclists who insist on ignoring that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's not for Lettie McCarthy to say. There is a real undercurrent of upset about the loss of buses and I know from speaking to someone in Tesco Bloomfields that their weekday turnover is down over 25%.

I myself will be pushing strongly with local businesses and representatives in the area to return Lower George's Street to use by buses, taxis and bicycles, as well as delivery vehicles, but not by private cars. (The idea of trying to keep bikes off it in the first place was absolutely bizarre.)

Guilty as charged. But in my defense I was going really, really slowly!! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

You’re not alone. In my defense it was 9pm on a quiet weeknight and I was cycling a cargo bike with two kids on the back which is hard to walk with.

I’d like to see it open to buses and cyclists, maybe being pedestrianised on Saturdays, though that might be too complicated/ confusing.

traffic is definitely on the rise the last week with schools back.

Anyone know where to get traffic or bus reliability data? All the council seems to release is the pedestrian counts

Why wouldnt you just get off and walk with the bike.

Cyclists are never done moaning about motorists behaviour and then when they cycle where they are not supposed to they say they are going slowly so thats okay.

It doesnt matter how slowly you are going on a bike if you are full grown and you hit someone.

You never park or stop on the footpath, right?

No, never, why would I park on a footpath, you have a very negative view of drivers but you dont seem to have nay issues with cyclist behaviour.

The issue here is adults cycling in pedestrianised areas, what is the point in trial running the closure of streets for pedestrianisation when pedestrians never know when a cyclist is going to appear behind them.

I presume there are no gardai in that location to issue fines to cyclists who arent suposed to cycle on this street.

I have a negative view of taxi drivers who park on footpaths, like the fella on Ballinteer Avenue this evening, opposite the Coach House, blocking half the path and two thirds of the lane, with about 20 vehicles have to take turns with oncoming traffic to get past, and the Coach House car park about ten metres away.

• Advertisement

a) Had a sore leg! Couldn’t walk.

b) It’s not okay if they are going slowly, but it’s fine if they are going really, really slowly.

c) All bikes should have a bell to warn pedestrians that they are about to hit them. It’s against the law not to have a bell on your bike.

If you approach an elderly person on a bike they may not hear your bell.

If they move quickly to get out of your way then they could break a hip and that could mean the end of their independence.

if pedestrians are encouraged to take over the whole road then you shouldnt be cycling on it.

Cyclists keep telling me there is no inconvenience in walking to wherever the buses that used to be outside Argos have gone, if this is the case then there is no inconvenience to cyclists to divert down Marine Road and thus avoiding cycling on a street they shouldnt be using.

You wouldnt have any sympathy if I said I had a sore leg and found it difficult to get to the new bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so we have a few posters who admit to cycling on a pedestrianised street when they arent allowed and making excuses as to why it was ok and the retort is a reference to a taxi driver in ballinteer?

Is it ok if cars drive really really slowly down pedestrianised streets also?

Classic whataboutery. Only people who know themselves to be guilty of something can find comfort in finding others to be just as bad or worse.

If you approach an elderly person on a bike they may not hear your bell. - It's a really loud bell.

If they move quickly to get out of your way then they could break a hip and that could mean the end of their independence. - I'm going really, really slowly. I could decrease it to really, really, really slowly but then I would probably be stopped.

if pedestrians are encouraged to take over the whole road then you shouldnt be cycling on it. - I said that.

Cyclists keep telling me there is no inconvenience in walking to wherever the buses that used to be outside Argos have gone, if this is the case then there is no inconvenience to cyclists to divert down Marine Road and thus avoiding cycling on a street they shouldnt be using. - But I came up Marine rd. I would hardly go back down it again. Would I?

You wouldnt have any sympathy if I said I had a sore leg and found it difficult to get to the new bus stop. - That's very and deeply hurtful. Of course I would have tons of sympathy for you and would go so far as to send you a get well soon card if I had your full Carysfort address. Or bring you grapes and Lucozade if you were in hospital. Or, I could give you a crossbar on my bike to the new bus stop!

As one poster is fond of saying here, don't be silly, of course it is not ok for cars to drive down the street. Perhaps it would be better designated as a "motor vehicles prohibited" street to dispel any confusion???

Why not go back down Marine Road again, thems the rules now, you are delighted Georges Avenue is pedestrianised but this means to be used by people on foot only.

So all wheels banned and no, ringing your very loud bell while cycling on a pedestrianised street is not ok, if someone shoves you off your bike at least you can hobble to St Michaels( I wont be visiting you)

You won't visit me, after all I have offered you? That's very harsh and unsympathetic. So can I take it that you don't want a crossbar????

No, thank you.

• Advertisement

At this stage you are just trolling the thread and losing any credence the cycling perspective has.

Advertisement