Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

After watching McIlroy hit so many 'bad' short irons at TPC I looked up his stats. He is 182nd, 184th, 144th in proximity to the hole from 100-125, 125-150, 150-175.

Anyone thoughts on why?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

The reason for this stat is cause there are 181, 183 and 143 people better than him from these distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

yipsnomore wrote: »
    After watching McIlroy hit so many 'bad' short irons at TPC I looked up his stats. He is 182nd, 184th, 144th in proximity to the hole from 100-125, 125-150, 150-175.

Anyone thoughts on why?

While not criticising someone who I personally think is the most talented player of all time, it could be that his swing is more a "driver" type swing than an "iron" type. That said, I remember seeing Thomas Levet a few years ago in Baltray and, for someone who's swing at first appears to be quite loose and willowey, he absolutely crunches the ball with the irons and really compresses it, so maybe impressions from a distance are not a good guide.

It's more likely that he simply hasn't being playing enough golf in the last few months and isn't match fit so to speak. Plus the slopes on some of the greens in Sawgrass are pretty severe, a shot 3 yards offline could end up 10 yards further away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

You missed a few important stats... I guess when you take into account his driving stats... he doesn't get a whole lot of practice at common yardage distances and instead excels from where he hits it out to :D That said, he hasn't been looking great with the short stick or short irons lately... but that will come around.

APPROACHES FROM > 275 YARDS........ Rank 3
    APPROACHES FROM > 200 YARDS.........Rank 8
    APPROACHES FROM 75-100 YARDS........Rank 7

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Must look up where he should be from this distance.

Just as an example - so we understand this stat.

Should Rory be closer here, looks good to me. Mad to say that - but that is what he is up against.

I don't think it matters as - he gets to that point more often and closer to green than others - puts will fall.

Then the par 5 are a joke for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Unreal from rory today. What's the par of the course? Could he be on for a 59 ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Par is 72

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Rikand wrote: »
    Unreal from rory today. What's the par of the course? Could he be on for a 59 ?

72, so he'll need to birdie his last 4 holes to shoot 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Just a par on 17 so almost certainly gone now. Some round all the same. Should finish the job tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hard to see him being caught tomorrow. Fabulous round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

That was some round of golf by rory. Christ when he turns it on he is amazing to watch... Got me buzzing about my golf tomorrow haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

9 birdies in 10 holes. Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

HighLine wrote: »
    You missed a few important stats... I guess when you take into account his driving stats... he doesn't get a whole lot of practice at common yardage distances and instead excels from where he hits it out to :D That said, he hasn't been looking great with the short stick or short irons lately... but that will come around.
    Boy did you get that right! :D

His approach shots were top drawer yesterday, consistently in makeable putt distance. It was the kind of consistency that we really haven't seen from him in that department since 2011/2012.

The most outrageous shot was his 3 wood to the green on the 14th. 322 yards to a tiny target with a 3 wood. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

rrpc wrote: »
    Boy did you get that right! :D

His approach shots were top drawer yesterday, consistently in makeable putt distance. It was the kind of consistency that we really haven't seen from him in that department since 2011/2012.

The most outrageous shot was his 3 wood to the green on the 14th. 322 yards to a tiny target with a 3 wood. :eek:

I'm also guessing my own game is going to turn around very shortly (more chance of Rory shooting in the 90s today :D )

What a joy to watch though - his lowest ever competitive round. Loved the following quote.... sort of putting it up to the rest of the field..

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/status/599691681768804352

Funny was just thinking same thing.

Rory has decided to remove any iota of doubts that were out there.

The scary thing. He even looks like he could get even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Still probably needs a round of 70 to be guaranteed victory.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I can't see him playing conservatively today. He seems to feel that he has a point to prove and cruising home probably won't make that point emphatically enough for him. My guess is he will attack all the way and try to win by as many shots as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

abff wrote: »
    I can't see him playing conservatively today. He seems to feel that he has a point to prove and cruising home probably won't make that point emphatically enough for him. My guess is he will attack all the way and try to win by as many shots as possible.

I've no doubt rory will be firing at pins every opportunity today.

Unreal the difference in his putting in a week on tour. No coincidence he had a lesson with Stockton after the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

ForeRight wrote: »
    I've no doubt rory will be firing at pins every opportunity today.

Unreal the difference in his putting in a week on tour. No coincidence he had a lesson with Stockton after the players.

I think that he said in interview that he had a talk with Stockton, rather than a lesson.

If so, keep him on speed-dial, Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cake

Walk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Just hit 306 yards uphill into the breeze on the 8th. Averaged 332 yards yesterday.

As you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

LinksLad wrote: »
    I think that he said in interview that he had a talk with Stockton, rather than a lesson.

If so, keep him on speed-dial, Rory!

No it was me he spoke to, Stockdam!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Putter a bit cold today. Still looks pretty comfortable, but he would be almost ten shots clear at this stage if his putts were dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Lucky break for rory there. Think he might be getting a little frustrated with the putts not dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

Important par for Rory. Needs to make a birdie or two to keep a nice cushion over Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well he should get that putt anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Rory taps in at 12 for 20 under. Great iron to 2 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

Rodgers needed to Eagle 15 to have any chance. Should be straightforward for Rory now.

zizou_ wrote: »
    Rodgers needed to Eagle 15 to have any chance. Should be straightforward for Rory now.

Bit of a bore so far .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Nice analysis of his swing today...

http://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement