Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Second time in a week mentioning the new Periscope app... it's starting to grow among the golfing community and it tends to be a good laugh. Rory Periscoped live from his jet last night on his way to London and let's just say, it tends to be a bit less formal than usual interviews and media! Poor aul JP got a right slagging! :D

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/05/rory-mcilroy-periscope-celebrate-private-jet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone care to explain this periscope business?
    Seems to be all the rage since Sunday!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Anyone care to explain this periscope business?
    Seems to be all the rage since Sunday!!

As Highline said, it's an app that allows a livestream from your phone. I hadn't heard of it until 2 weeks ago when Stephanie Wei (a well know golf journalist in the US) got her media accreditation revoked for using it to interview a player (Spieth, I think) at a PGA event.She walked beside him to the 1st tee and her 'fans' were firing questions at her through Persicope which she then asked Spieth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

A bit over the top I thought, of the PGA to revoke her creds for the rest of the season. Still, rules are rules I suppose...
    Would McIlroy's posting not contravene the same regulations, given they were celebrating success at a Tour event?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Anatom wrote: »
    A bit over the top I thought, of the PGA to revoke her creds for the rest of the season. Still, rules are rules I suppose...
    Would McIlroy's posting not contravene the same regulations, given they were celebrating success at a Tour event?

McIlroy was on a plane in his own time, Wei was doing it from the course while on the job using her media credentials, which according to the PGA Tour impacts on media rights etc.

Plus I'd say Rory could do whatever the hell he likes these and the they'd barely bat an eyelid. Whereas Wei has a history of rubbing some of the more "traditional" thinkers amongst the PGA Tour ranks up the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭benny79

So what does it do exactly like a earphone, how would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

SSK wrote: »
    McIlroy was on a plane in his own time, Wei was doing it from the course while on the job using her media credentials, which according to the PGA Tour impacts on media rights etc.

Plus I'd say Rory could do whatever the hell he likes these and the they'd barely bat an eyelid. Whereas Wei has a history of rubbing some of the more "traditional" thinkers amongst the PGA Tour ranks up the wrong way.

Ah, I know. I was only trying to stretch the analogy a little bit (probably too much) to make a loose point. You're right though. Rory, at the moment, is untouchable. I wonder if himself and Wei had Periscoped (is that a word?) each other on the course, whether there'd have been any fuss at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I saw it for the first time last week. Poulter was doing it from the range. Was really interesting. He had some guy friend/manager filming and giving him feedback on comments being made.

He was explaining how he used trackman and was hitting shots etc and chatting in between. GMac was beside him in the range and he joined in a bit as well. Lashed rain then to they did a Q&A from their cart.

It's just really like a live feed you can link into and also interact through posting comments that they can see if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I know the nationality debate for Rory is forbidden in here but I couldn't help sharing this.

Case closed!!!!!!!!

DEC0F65B-F597-4B7A-B16A-8740217C3C4D.png_zpszxleaelf.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

They wish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Good interview from Rory here about golf, life and his future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/32798914

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Looks like he'll be refreshed for next week anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looks like he'll be refreshed for next week anyway :D

Rory only plays well when he is up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Remarkable resemblance to his effort in Fota last year.....all about timing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Probably a mistake to try 5 in a row, have to be mentally tired from it. Probably better off with a rest this weekend

I think this 5 in a row being a big deal is a joke.

At 26 - you should be able to do anything.

It is golf - Not Football or Tennis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

To an extent I agree with that, but in McIlroy's case I think it has much more to do with all his commercial commitments for Nike and his other sponsors. From looking at his facebook updates, I'd be surprised if he's had more than 3 or 4 days off in the last couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Fixed, try traveling for work for 5 weeks in a row...that wears anyone. Never mind having to play 5 rounds of golf and practice in between. It catches up with everyone. He's only human

Keano wrote: »
    Fixed, try traveling for work for 5 weeks in a row...that wears anyone. Never mind having to play 5 rounds of golf and practice in between. It catches up with everyone. He's only human

Sorry - I'm not buying it.

It wouldn't take long to come up with so many other high intensity sports. Far more demanding with a more intense schedule,. He certainly didn't need some of the stuff he did on Monday.

Bet he is 100 % next week. Watch.

It is easier to mentally fall when it suits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes why? Because he is gets a few days off. Do you think Nadal, Federer etc didn't have bad days? You cannot push and push your body and expect it to keep ticking over...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

5 weeks in a row is a huge toll, apart from the golf days there's the corporate pro am and at least 9 holes practice at each course, that's at least 5 and a half rounds a week, traveling west to east coast of the US and then back to Europe with both the time taken and jet lags.
    Apart from all that physical activity there's the mental drain, sure how many of us are wrecked after 5 days in a row sitting at a desk, barely keeping the eyes open watching US golf on a Friday...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yes why? Because he is gets a few days off. Do you think Nadal, Federer etc didn't have bad days? You cannot push and push your body and expect it to keep ticking over...

So you genuinely think this is physical fatigue versus mental.

I think it is just a case of - just not up for it. He has history.

We don't know - but he wasn't really at the BMW this week.
    His interview after his win last week - he talked about Nike work on the Monday in London :eek:. That is poor from him / Nike and his manager.

Then he was all over tv - periscope and you name it,

I bet he was at the gym this morning - nothing to do with his body.

As for travel - he had a few beers and has a bed on a private plane. Yes, real Tour De France stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Sorry - I'm not buying it.

I'd say he's not trying to sell it to you. Try Flying off somewhere, in a private Jet granted, on monday do a days work, inc some cooperate day/work, press the flesh of a few people you'd rather not..... Practice the next day maybe even a pro am the followibg. Tee it up on Thursday with the golfing world watching every move, be in the mix more often than not most weekends, all this tied in with practice, media time, sponsor time, Living outta a suitcase. .... Oh and trying to maintain any level of personal/private life......

Sure why would ya be tired..... Sure he's only a pup of a lad......

It's both.

I think believing he turns up to an event not wanting to make the cut is poor, he could have easily said he didn't want to play and that was it.

As for the Nike gig, they give him a lot of cash so I'm sure he has to attend the odd event!

It's both.

I think believing he turns up to an event not wanting to make the cut is poor, he could have easily said he didn't want to play and that was it.

As for the Nike gig, they give him a lot of cash so I'm sure he has to attend the odd event!

Ok - so we are getting to the issue.

a) Perhaps he should not have played - agree if he wasn't up for it.
    b) He should not have had stuff on on Monday (first thing in my head when he said it)

I'm just a bit dissapointed - because, I could see him win a few events in a row if he is up for it.

But - we know a bit about Rory now, he has to be up for something.

Nike are calling the shots, we knew that was part of any big deal.
    But on Sunday to talk about a Nike job in London Monday morning was crazy stuff. (by all)

neckedit wrote: »
    I'd say he's not trying to sell it to you. Try Flying off somewhere, in a private Jet granted, on monday do a days work, inc some cooperate day/work, press the flesh of a few people you'd rather not..... Practice the next day maybe even a pro am the followibg. Tee it up on Thursday with the golfing world watching every move, be in the mix more often than not most weekends, all this tied in with practice, media time, sponsor time, Living outta a suitcase. .... Oh and trying to maintain any level of personal/private life......

Sure why would ya be tired..... Sure he's only a pup of a lad......

That is fine.

But tell that to BMW - the 5 million they have put up - one of the few big guys left in Euro Tour as a big sponsor.

The fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

But on Sunday to talk about a Nike job in London Monday morning was crazy stuff. (by all)

I don't see a sales/marketing job anytime in your future Fix :)

I though it was a great move for Nike. The place had been thronged all weekend and the PR for all envolved was huge.

Rory has a big commitment to Nike and this stuff is the norm, in fact I would guess he does a lot more we don't hear of.

I can only imagine but my guess is that 5 weeks of golf, press, traveling, practice and being away from home must be gruelling.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Who cares why, I'm just glad he'll be fresh for the irish open his 5th major as he said himself. Maybe next year BMW will sponsor the irish open ...

I don't see a sales/marketing job anytime in your future Fix :)

I though it was a great move for Nike. The place had been thronged all weekend and the PR for all envolved was huge.

Rory has a big commitment to Nike and this stuff is the norm, in fact I would guess he does a lot more we don't hear of.

I can only imagine but my guess is that 5 weeks of golf, press, traveling, practice and being away from home must be gruelling.

J

Yes, I detest it.

The big bad world and all that.

But there is also a way of managing time better - the Monday was poor managment.

Your post above explains that his comercial commitments can impact on his game. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.

Not going to matter that much - but a guy who has done a real job all week is turning up Saturday and world number 1 couldn't make it. "5 weeks in a row".

"Give me a break - I'm pumping **** all week - paid 80 quid to see Rory".

We give out about Footballers - but that is taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Old diesel

So you genuinely think this is physical fatigue versus mental.

I think it is just a case of - just not up for it. He has history.

We don't know - but he wasn't really at the BMW this week.
    His interview after his win last week - he talked about Nike work on the Monday in London :eek:. That is poor from him / Nike and his manager.

Then he was all over tv - periscope and you name it,

I bet he was at the gym this morning - nothing to do with his body.

As for travel - he had a few beers and has a bed on a private plane. Yes, real Tour De France stuff.

Thing is though - its still 5 days in a row - plus travel and practice - plus gym and other bits must fit in the other 2 days.

Possibly looking at a 7 day working week or very close to it.

He finishes up in one event on Sunday and on Sunday evening/Monday morning must start thinking about traveling to next event.

Tuesday (I assume) practice on the course - do work outs

Wednesday - pro am

Thursday through Sunday - actual competition of the event he needed to travel on Sunday eve/Monday.

VERY little time for a normal home life over the 5 weeks.

Week before the Masters Padraig was playing somewhere - forget the event name but it was the one where he went 9 under par after 13 holes in the 3rd round - and then had a number of nightmare holes to bring back to 3 under. He finished up on the Sunday - and on Monday or Tuesday he was going around Augusta studying/practicing the course. You might remember that pic of his notes of the course that did the rounds :eek:

That's how I see it - the human mind and body can only do so much and doesn't care very much that their man is number 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement