Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Remind me wrote: »
    He’s world number 1 FFS

tennis-wimbledon-view-of-golf-athlete-luke-donald-waving-to-crowd-picture-id483995942?s=1024x1024

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This thread is danger of being locked as people just throw comments at each other from both sides adding nothing to the discussion. If this doesn’t stop posters will be getting banned, we as mods have been giving far too many timid warnings in the hope posters would cop on, it seems bans will be only way to sort this thread out. The nonsense stops now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

GreeBo wrote: »
    Crazy idea here, so bear with me.
    Could we perhaps keep some sort of track of each player's score for each round and use that to compare their performance?

We could also award some sort of prize to the person at the top of this list?

Nah, I'm crazy, that will never catch on.

"Par is just a number"
    Classic.

What, like stroke average? Good metric, I like it. Tell us, GreenBo, who lead the way on that metric on the 2019 PGA tour?

Also, your post with Donald there just shows you’re on the windup. Transparent as ever.

fullstop wrote: »
    What, like stroke average? Good metric, I like it. Tell us, GreenBo, who lead the way on that metric on the 2019 PGA tour?

Also, your post with Donald there just shows you’re on the windup. Transparent as ever.

1. No, not like stroke average, you don't win tournaments with averages. How about winning?
    2. Luke Donald was #1 in the world across both tours. If McIlroy is this golfing god, why isn't he winning more?
    Why hasn't he won a major in years?

1. No, not like stroke average, you don't win tournaments with averages. How about winning?
    2. Luke Donald was #1 in the world across both tours. If McIlroy is this golfing god, why isn't he winning more?
    Why hasn't he won a major in years?

1. I believe they do give a prize for it. It’s called the Vardon trophy. Any idea who won it? I’ll give you a clue...the player who won it won 3 tournaments on the PGA tour in 2019.
    2. He was indeed #1. But McIlroy has spent twice as long at #1. Can you point out where McIlroy was called a “Golfing God”? Thanks.

Move the posts again there like you did with the SG stats when it no longer suited your narrative.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    1. I believe they do give a prize for it. It’s called the Vardon trophy. Any idea who won it? I’ll give you a clue...the player who won it won 3 tournaments on the PGA tour in 2019.
    2. He was indeed #1. But McIlroy has spent twice as long at #1. Can you point out where McIlroy was called a “Golfing God”? Thanks.

Move the posts again there like you did with the SG stats when it no longer suited your narrative.

Posts haven't moved an inch. Stats are backing my point just fine.

So not a tournament then, like I said.
    Donald was #1 on twice as many tours, is that not a better representing of dominance?

Winning tournaments is what these guys want.
    Winning majors is what the top guys want.

McIlroy has been playing for 12 years as a pro, it's nearly 6 years since he last won a major.
    Koepka has been playing 7 years and has the same number of majors that Rory has, all within the last 3 years, the most recent of which was 9 months ago.

Yet somehow Rory, according to this thread, "on his day" beats everyone else. If that was true then he hasn't been capable of being on his day 4 consecutive days when it counts once in the last 6 years.

A broken 43 year old with 1 knee and a fused spine has done better at the majors in recent times.
    Either he isn't as good as you say he is or he can't get over the line when it counts.

Posts haven't moved an inch. Stats are backing my point just fine.

So not a tournament then, like I said.
    Donald was #1 on twice as many tours, is that not a better representing of dominance?

Winning tournaments is what these guys want.
    Winning majors is what the top guys want.

McIlroy has been playing for 12 years as a pro, it's nearly 6 years since he last won a major.
    Koepka has been playing 7 years and has the same number of majors that Rory has, all within the last 3 years, the most recent of which was 9 months ago.
    You keep banging on about Donald being world #1 on both tours. You’re either world #1 or you’re not world #1. Who’s the other current world #1 apart from McIlroy??

I was totally unaware Koepka only took up golf 7 years ago. What was he up to before that? In fairness that put him behind the 8 ball and probably explains why he’s won a lot less tournaments than McIlroy (27 versus 14...4 of which were on Japan Tour and 2 on Challenge Tour ;) ) despite only being a year younger. Glad you clears that up for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Keano wrote: »
    This thread is danger of being locked as people just throw comments at each other from both sides adding nothing to the discussion. If this doesn’t stop posters will be getting banned, we as mods have been giving far too many timid warnings in the hope posters would cop on, it seems bans will be only way to sort this thread out. The nonsense stops now.

Don’t think the thread needs to be locked but certain posters need to be censored . Lads indulging in semantics , nit picking minor points , back and forth arguing over interpretation of statements previously made , one upmanship , really sad attempts to show how intelligent a poster is .This has been going on for months and it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion . And let’s face it , we all know who the culprits are !

If counter views aren't welcome them just rename the thread to the McIlroy love-in and be done with it. It'll be like the Catholic forum where only true believers can worship.

Otherwise accept opinions and deal with personal attacks equally. There is only 1 poster here continually playing the man instead of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thankfully he's back in action today so hopefully we can talk about the golf and not the same point being rehashed 25 different ways and going around in circles for days - you know who you are ;)

WGC Mexico - tees of at 17.51

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Nice to see him not sitting on the fence about the Premier League Golf, hopefully a few more of them might get off the fence before their scriptwriters get a hold of them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A WGC is a nice way to see how he pits himself against the best, I'm still gagging for the Masters though, think just under 50 days now so Rory is bound to start getting Masters questions soon

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Strokes gained off the tee and subsequently dropped getting the ball in the hole are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Your childish reaction of personal attacks anytime someone slights your hero is pathetic, the fact that you are continually allowed away with it is a separate problem.
    Time to add you to my Rory fan club list.

He was literally the best player at getting the ball in the hole last year, he had the lowest stroke average.

Nice to see him not sitting on the fence about the Premier League Golf, hopefully a few more of them might get off the fence before their scriptwriters get a hold of them.

I think “Money is cheap. Money is the easy part. That shouldn't be the driving factor,” is a bit rich (har, har) coming from a multi millionaire tbh.

There are far more golfers struggling to make ends meet than there are worrying about winning a major.

The WGCs are basically the same thing; limited fields with limited, defined events. Albeit the source of the cash is a bit more transparent!

I think “Money is cheap. Money is the easy part. That shouldn't be the driving factor,” is a bit rich (har, har) coming from a multi millionaire tbh.

There are far more golfers struggling to make ends meet than there are worrying about winning a major.

The WGCs are basically the same thing; limited fields with limited, defined events. Albeit the source of the cash is a bit more transparent!

They're all millionaires though!! He said signing up would take away the freedom of his schedule so I can understand his point there. Will be interesting to see who else comes out either for it or against it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I thought I read the idea of this new tour was to restrict the numbers further? Top 64 or something? Those guys all have plenty of cash, the guys struggling to make ends meet won't be invited.

AdamD wrote: »
    I thought I read the idea of this new tour was to restrict the numbers further? Top 64 or something? Those guys all have plenty of cash, the guys struggling to make ends meet won't be invited.

I think its basically like an elongated WGC tour.
    oh yeah, I know they will only want the people that draw the crowds, but my point was that Rory saying "its not about the money" is very easy when you have hundreds of millions in the bank.
    They're all millionaires though!! He said signing up would take away the freedom of his schedule so I can understand his point there. Will be interesting to see who else comes out either for it or against it.

Yep, totally suits him to own his own schedule, but as above, saying money isnt important when you have millions of it is a bit crass imo.

I think its basically like an elongated WGC tour.
    oh yeah, I know they will only want the people that draw the crowds, but my point was that Rory saying "its not about the money" is very easy when you have hundreds of millions in the bank.

Yep, totally suits him to own his own schedule, but as above, saying money isnt important when you have millions of it is a bit crass imo.

If he said black you'd say white

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

If he said black you'd say white

Fair point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

time to move on please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

He’s obviously speaking in the context of the 48 players the new set up wants, saying money shouldn’t be the driving factor for 48 guys who are already multi millionaires is perfectly reasonable. He’s not saying money is irrelevant for homeless people like.

Can’t believe he is getting criticised for this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Everyone, final warning, unless attitudes and posting styles improve we feel we have no choice but to close this thread and restrict any further comments on the subject. All too often on this thread posts are in breach of the forum Charter and some are used as indirect insults / abuse against fellow posters. We try our best to run the forum with minimal interfence and evey other topic here requires a glance every now and then, but then we come to Rory McIlroy thread and we have nearly 2 pages of reported posts - in the last few days - this cannot and will not be allowed to continue. Cards will start yellow and rapidly increase to red and permanent. Please from now on be mindful of your comments and maybe think twice before you click submit. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Looking at his finishes since the start of 2019, I cant recall the last time a player had such consistent good weeks, probably Tiger in the 00s. Amazing to think back to when he was considered extremely streaky.

21/27 Top 10 (78%)
    14/27 Top 5 (52%)
    4/27 Win (15%)

Sure you would expect him to put away a few more wins, but a 15% win percentage is exceptional in professional golf.

Course should suit him this week, so you would expect him to be right up there again.

Eagle on his 2nd hole from the World number 1

AdamD wrote: »
    He was literally the best player at getting the ball in the hole last year, he had the lowest stroke average.

Lowest stroke average. You could have the lowest average and still win nothing.

Lowest stroke average. You could have the lowest average and still win nothing.

That would be unlikely.

He won 4 PGA tournaments in 2019 (1 was this season). He also won the FedEx and Player of the year.

We're forget sometimes how much he has achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Solid start. Hopefully pushes on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Stating the obvious him being world number 1, he looks the part.

Sets up majors nicely.

I know he changes his mind on stuff - but still refreshing to hear him make an opinion on new golf concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

He has missed 2 short puts inn the last 2 holes shame as he was going along quite nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Back on track again just birdied the par 5 6th

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement