Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Unreal drive. Another seriously solid round

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Great round

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Delighted for him that was a mighty round and he was unlucky with a few holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

I wonder where are all the Rory naysayers now. Buzzing to see the current world number one playing with such confidence and freedom with his swing. Putting brilliantly, wedge game is getting better by the day. Keep it lit Rors!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wonder where are all the Rory naysayers now. Buzzing to see the current world number one playing with such confidence and freedom with his swing. Putting brilliantly, wedge game is getting better by the day. Keep it lit Rors!!!

Don't worry, they're waiting in the long grass.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Lads you're as bad as the naysayers. It's Thursday, you're literally handing them ammunition if he doesn't win

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Rory is a good front runner. Good round today and will win easily.
    It's when he is in a battle with a few other that the brainfarts start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kauto wrote: »

I'd seriously doubt that. There's a savage field and there's never anything easy at a WGC.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Kauto wrote: »
    It's when he is in a battle with a few other that the brainfarts start.

In 2019 alone he wasn’t leading the players going into final round, he was level in the Canadian and 1 ahead in China. Did he start out 5 shots behind Thomas starting off the tour championship?

If anything he should win more from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Don't worry, they're waiting in the long grass.
    Actually we just looking for GMac's ball on the 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

McGinley made a good point in commentary about him being 24th at putting last year. When you’re as good as him tee to green then it’s good enough. Only Webb Simpson in the top 10 in the world, and Justin rose in the top 20, were ahead of him in the putting stats. So it’s not as if his rivals are beating him on the green either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

tobsey wrote: »
    McGinley made a good point in commentary about him being 24th at putting last year. When you’re as good as him tee to green then it’s good enough. Only Webb Simpson in the top 10 in the world, and Justin rose in the top 20, were ahead of him in the putting stats. So it’s not as if his rivals are beating him on the green either.

That's amazing, I would have assumed the best players in the world be right up there in putting

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

slave1 wrote: »
    That's amazing, I would have assumed the best players in the world be right up there in putting

I think part of the reason for that may be that the best players are consistently putting their approach shots closer to the hole, so they have fewer opportunities to pick up extra shots through their putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

abff wrote: »
    I think part of the reason for that may be that the best players are consistently putting their approach shots closer to the hole, so they have fewer opportunities to pick up extra shots through their putting.

Agreed, when Mcilroy won the US open at congressional by a record margin , from what I can remember he didn’t putt particularly well . He pretty much gave himself a makeable birdie putt though on every par 3 and 4 , of which he missed a rake of them. Every par 5 was a straightforward two putt birdie . Had he made more putts he could have won by 15 / 20 shots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Good round Rory . Early days tho . Thomas is poised

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh bang on, top guys probably way better GIR stats so must look at GIR putting as more indicative

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

rooney30 wrote: »
    Agreed, when Mcilroy won the US open at congressional by a record margin , from what I can remember he didn’t putt particularly well . He pretty much gave himself a makeable birdie putt though on every par 3 and 4 , of which he missed a rake of them. Every par 5 was a straightforward two putt birdie . Had he made more putts he could have won by 15 / 20 shots
    slave1 wrote: »
    Oh bang on, top guys probably way better GIR stats so must look at GIR putting as more indicative

You're misunderstanding how strokes gained putting works. It takes account of the distance of the putts, as well as the relative difficulty of putting on the course that week compared with other courses. It means that if you had a putting competition last year, where every pro had the same putts of various lengths and difficulties, McIlroy would have come 24th.

It completely eliminates the standard of the approach play and solely focuses on how well the player putted. That's the great thing about the strokes gained stats. It allows you to analyse the individual parts of the game in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It completely eliminates the standard of the approach play and solely focuses on how well the player putted. That's the great thing about the strokes gained stats. It allows you to analyse the individual parts of the game in isolation.

It eliminates standard of approach play, but your standard of approach play coupled with the standard of your putting is what gives you your scores.

e.g. it doesnt really matter if you are the best putter on tour from 3 feet if your approach play is leaving you an average of 30 feet away. Most of those 3 foot putts will (hopefully!) be for par.
    Likewise if your average approach is 6 feet but you are dead last in that category its not much use!

One thing that it always pays to check with any of the SG metrics is the number of attempts involved. being dead last for SG from <30 yards is meaningless if you only took 1 shot from <30 yards for example.

GreeBo wrote: »
    It eliminates standard of approach play, but your standard of approach play coupled with the standard of your putting is what gives you your scores.

e.g. it doesnt really matter if you are the best putter on tour from 3 feet if your approach play is leaving you an average of 30 feet away. Most of those 3 foot putts will (hopefully!) be for par.
    Likewise if your average approach is 6 feet but you are dead last in that category its not much use!

One thing that it always pays to check with any of the SG metrics is the number of attempts involved. being dead last for SG from <30 yards is meaningless if you only took 1 shot from <30 yards for example.

Strokes gained total is literally SG tee to green added to SG putting. SG approaching added to off the tee will give you SG tee to green. That’s how those stats work.

SGP takes account of whether you’re 3 or 30 feet away. The average number of putts from 3 feet is probably 1.05. If you make a 3 footer you gain .05 shots on the field but if you two putt you lose .95 shots. From 30 foot the average is probably around 2. So you make it you gain a shot, 3 putt you lose one. Every distance has an average number shots and that’s used to add up your score.

There’s no point talking about number of attempts when you’re talking about SG total, tee to green or putting because they are the main stats with 100%, 60% and 40% of all shots played respectively.

• Advertisement

You're misunderstanding how strokes gained putting works. It takes account of the distance of the putts, as well as the relative difficulty of putting on the course that week compared with other courses. It means that if you had a putting competition last year, where every pro had the same putts of various lengths and difficulties, McIlroy would have come 24th.

It’s not quite as simple as that. Yes, it’s based on number of putts holed from various distances in each tournament, but someone who puts the ball close to the pin has fewer opportunities to pick up shots relative to their expected number of putts.

I doubt they have the ability to adjust these scores based on the difficulty of each individual hole (or, perhaps even more importantly, their position relative to the hole, whether uphill or downhill or on a side slope, etc.), so it is at best a crude measure. I agree it’s not just a simple matter of average putts per round (which is a different statistic), but I don’t agree that it’s incorrect or over simplistic to say that the better players have fewer opportunities to rank highly in this particular statistic.

ropey enough start to his round needs to steady up a bit a least his putting is good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

ropey enough start to his round needs to steady up a bit a least his putting is good

The others at the top have started well, interesting to see how he performs. I hope he goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Thomas turning it on . Rory needs to get going

that was a bad hole there on the par 5 to be near the pin in 2 was tough to take

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Very scrappy from Rory today and he is getting lapped. Needs to scrape through this back nine and try shoot under par for the day.

Struggled at the start, then played well but didn’t hole the putts.

Nice leaderboard though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

OEP wrote: »
    Lads you're as bad as the naysayers. It's Thursday, you're literally handing them ammunition if he doesn't win

Shows the folly of baiting. Hopefully he will get it going again tomorrow.

Terrible 3 putt from Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Two putts missed inside 3 feet in a horror putting round for Rory. Playing exceptionally well from tee to green but having an annus horriblis on the dancefloors. He just 3 putted from 10 feet too at the 13th hole.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Two putts missed inside 3 feet in a horror putting round for Rory. Playing exceptionally well from tee to green but having an annus horriblis on the dancefloors. He just 3 putted from 10 feet too at the 13th hole.

And yet he was quoted yesterday harping on about going back to an old putter and how it has helped.He’ll never learn. Stop waffling and just play golf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement