Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Does the nationalist discussion really need to be raised once again?
    It's quite clear viewing his responses down through the years that he either has little interest in the debate or simply does not wish to take a position.

He's likely playing for Ireland at the next Olympics so why the constant need to raise such a potentially inflammatory issue?
    Unsurprising of course by Kimmage -& others- that the need to discuss the personal views of McIlroy supersedes the discussion of golf itself.

In effect, his response gave no additonal insight whatsoever but of course it's the one piece that needs to be raised.

On the golf itself which is of course secondary, I thought he was great all week, one bad mistake on a tough day effectively cost him.
    Played well T2G but putter let him down at times. Good signs for the year to come though.

Delighted for Scott though, called it on this thread yesterday, when he's swinging it well, he's unbelievable.

Because he gave an interview about it yesterday in a National paper, it is news of his own making and he is taking a very strong position.

He has always been a good T2G player, putting has let him down many times, that is not new news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Dav010 wrote: »
    Because he gave an interview about it yesterday in a National paper, it is news of his own making and he is taking a very strong position.

He has always been a good T2G player, putting has let him down many times, that is not new news.

Kimmage is a very good journo who looks deeper than just the superficial performance of athletes, he looks at the person, hence why McIlroy agreed to the interview. Saying a journalist of his record should only be interested in golf performances does him a disservice. Should he have only looked at Armstrong’s cycling?

Kimmage & Armstrong are irrelevant to me because its not a cycling discussion so try stay on point but FWIW, he's a journalist who has done excellent work but he's also a journalist who is to say the least incendiary, debates around Dublin football spring to mind, worth taking a look.

On McIlroy, do you think the utterances he has made here are a stronger position than if he had actually taken a pro-insert country- position?

He's evidently sitting on the fence, a position some posters have praised GMAC for I might add so it's effectively there's nothing to see here. I appreciate your constant need to raise it at any juncture though.

Kimmage & Armstrong are irrelevant to me because its not a cycling discussion so try stay on point but FWIW, he's a journalist who has done excellent work but he's also a journalist who is to say the least incendiary, debates around Dublin football spring to mind, worth taking a look.

On McIlroy, do you think the utterances he has made here are a stronger position than if he had actually taken a pro-insert country- position?

He's evidently sitting on the fence, a position some posters have praised GMAC for I might add so it's effectively there's nothing to see here. I appreciate your constant need to raise it at any juncture though.

You made Kimmage relevant to the discussion when you posted that he needs to write about personal views rather than golf. That is Kimmage’s forte, he is an excellent journalist who looks at the athlete as a person. McIlroy would have known that. It is not “unsurprising” that this article was about the person and the golfer, rather than just about golf. So I’m staying on point with your reference to Kimmage.

I like to be appreciated Charleigh Inexpensive Electricity, thank you.

You made Kimmage relevant to the discussion when you posted that he needs to write about personal views rather than golf. That is Kimmage’s forte, he is an excellent journalist who looks at the athlete as a person. McIlroy would have known that. It is not “unsurprising” that this article was about the person and the golfer, rather than just about golf. So I’m staying on point with your reference to Kimmage.

I like to be appreciated Mur28, thank you.

As I said, Kimmage has been excellent in the past when a story has existed to pursue, his failure-like yours in this case- is being pursuant of a story where none exists.
    Kimmage has had a number of high profile faux pas in recent years, Dublin GAA, debates with Luke Fitzgerald spring to mind.

His work on Armstrong was fantastic but as you might be aware, it is a journalist's job to create narrative and make people believe a narrative where little tangible news exists.
    Evidently he has proved effective on some in this case.

FWIW, I never said the highlighted above, I actually said it's unsurprising that Kimmage focused on the personal rather than the sport. No particular issues with that but as I said it's an issue when it's less interesting than the sport like it is in this case. Armstrong was obviously different.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Likes of Koepka would rip Scotts head off in a head to head in a major.
    Didn't even feature there.

You can’t assume that in any tournament like your prediction last night.

Scott held off Day, Tiger and Sergio to win the Masters.

Yes he had an absolute sh*t show at the Open against Els but not many players who haven’t done the same in majors.

• Advertisement

As I said, Kimmage has been excellent in the past when a story has existed to pursue, his failure-like yours in this case- is being pursuant of a story where none exists.
    Kimmage has had a number of high profile faux pas in recent years, Dublin GAA, debates with Luke Fitzgerald spring to mind.

His work on Armstrong was fantastic but as you might be aware, it is a journalist's job to create narrative and make people believe a narrative where little tangible news exists.
    Evidently he has proved effective on some in this case.

FWIW, I never said the highlighted above, I actually said it's unsurprising that Kimmage focused on the personal rather than the sport. No particular issues with that but as I said it's an issue when it's less interesting than the sport like it is in this case. Armstrong was obviously different.

On the contrary, McIlroy is a great story, not just about golf, but the story of McIlroy the person. And whether you like that or not, a large part of that story yesterday was the Olympics, and not a subjective view by the author, but the stated personal view of the subject. There is no failure on Kimmages part to pursue a story where none exists, again you are doing a disservice to a highly regarded Journalist. In relation to creating a narrative, it was an interview, McIlroy answered the question with honesty, something that is extremely impressive and admirable. But that is not to say it is a non-story when clearly McIlroy himself made it news, four years ago and again yesterday.

On the contrary, McIlroy is a great story, not just about golf, but the story of McIlroy the person. And whether you like that or not, a large part of that story yesterday was the Olympics, and not a subjective view by the author, but the stated personal view of the subject. There is no failure on Kimmages part to pursue a story where none exists, again you are doing a disservice to a highly regarded Journalist. In relation to creating a narrative, it was an interview, McIlroy answered the question with honesty, something that is extremely impressive and admirable. But that is not to say it is a non-story when clearly McIlroy himself made it news, four years ago and again yesterday.

On the contrary to what? I never said he was uninteresting, evidently I think he's interesting otherwise I wouldnt be posting on this thread.
    You're simply making up stuff now.

I don't think it's extremely impressive that McIlroy answered honestly. I get the impressive he answers honestly quite often.

I suspect Kimmage asked questions which he knew would incite some of the public to find relevance but as i said at the very beginning:
    In effect, his response gave no additonal insight whatsoever but of course it's the one piece that needs to be raised.
    Again no particular issue with Kimmage asking the question or people highlighting the response when it's actually interesting or adds anything we dont already know. However, when it doesn't do that and it's still raised, it's worth asking if the person raising it has an agenda as why was it highlighted at all? This scenario seems to fit that bill.

Nothing new here, we know he doesn't identify with the tricolour. Let him at it. If he wins Ireland gets a gold medal which will be great and I'm sure Rory will be happy too. It just wont be about the flag for him.

Nothing new here, we know he doesn't identify with the tricolour. Let him at it. If he wins Ireland gets a gold medal which will be great and I'm sure Rory will be happy too. It just wont be about the flag for him.

Precisely, identify with it or otherwise, he chooses not to disclose it, likely to avoid offending both sides.

I'm sure he'll be delighted to win if he's fortunate enough, he just won't be dragging Dessie Ellis & David Cullinane on stage for a sing song.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Read the Charter regarding simple posting rules.

Nationality discussions not allowed, they are flaming and take threads OT

No more warnings folks as these last few pages have been sad to see

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »

No issue whatsoever on my part but there are repeat offenders on the topic so possibly worth calling out repeated agitators instead of dropping a general thread warning suggesting people shouldn't respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

slave1 wrote: »

Given it's the same few posters everytime, how many "last warnings" are they going to get? Its every few weeks at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You're a bit early!

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I like Rory

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Given it's the same few posters everytime, how many "last warnings" are they going to get? Its every few weeks at this stage.

Lads, you are just going to have to accept that on a discussion forum, not everyone is going to share your point of view. That does not mean everyone is right or wrong, it’s just different opinions on the subject of a particular thread.

Why a few posters take a very post that isn’t positive as a personal slight, is bewildering. It is not your thread, so why should other posters be given a “last warning” just because you don’t agree with them?

Lads, you are just going to have to accept that on a discussion forum, not everyone is going to share your point of view. That does not mean everyone is right or wrong, it’s just different opinions on the subject of a particular thread.

Why a few posters take a very post that isn’t positive as a personal slight, is bewildering. It is not your thread, so why should other posters be given a “last warning” just because you don’t agree with them?

I think you are misunderstanding. The issue isnt your point of view, it's that the topic you keep coming back to is against the forum charter to begin with.

I'm not responding anymore since I dont want to keep the back and forth going, but its alarming how off the mark you continue to be as to what the actual issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

When you have people coming in saying he's a bottler or he will bottle it one the last day without a single post the entire 3 days before they're clearly here to troll and insight rage.

It should be dealt with accordingly.

I think you are misunderstanding. The issue isnt your point of view, it's that the topic you keep coming back to is against the forum charter to begin with.

I'm not responding anymore since I dont want to keep the back and forth going, but its alarming how off the mark you continue to be as to what the actual issue is.

The topic I referenced was an interview given by McIlroy in a National Paper yesterday.

When you have people coming in saying he's a bottler or he will bottle it one the last day without a single post the entire 3 days before they're clearly here to troll and insight rage.

I haven't got much of an issue with that, it's a bit pathetic but if that's how someone gets their kicks, let them off and get the ridicule they deserve.

Davo repeatedly raising the issue of nationality is completely different, that's not ridiculing the golfer. That's effectively raising a political opinion using a McIlroy as a proxy which is wrong and incendiary, it should be dealt with swiftly, it's been allowed persist for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The topic I referenced was an interview given by McIlroy in a National Paper yesterday.

Its been beaten to death, why continue to bring it up over and over and over and over again.

You can tell by the way he himself answered that he's well over it. It was a silly question from Kimmage, a good reporter looking for clickbait!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I haven't got much of an issue with that, it's a bit pathetic but if that's how someone gets their kicks, let them off and get the ridicule they deserve.

Davo repeatedly raising the issue of nationality is completely different, that's not ridiculing the golfer. That's effectively raising a political opinion using a McIlroy as a proxy which is wrong and incendiary, it should be dealt with swiftly, it's been allowed persist for too long.
    You've been told stop, now stop or you will be getting a few days off. Please read the charter before posting in this forum again

Ties Nick Faldo in 3rd spot all time* this week for most weeks at #1. Only Greg Norman and a certain Tiger Woods ahead.

*since 1986

Do you think posters on this thread are the only ones who have the opinion that McIlroy performs poorly when under pressure? There are links earlier in the thread to articles written by golf journalists whose opinions are precisely that. The fact that 11 times in less than 2 years, he has failed to top the board when playing in the final group shows great consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Do you think posters on this thread are the only ones who have the opinion that McIlroy performs poorly when under pressure? There are links earlier in the thread to articles written by golf journalists whose opinions are precisely that. The fact that 11 times in less than 2 years, he has failed to top the board when playing in the final group shows great consistency.

Don't think that's what he's talking about, it's more about the trollers who arrive Sunday evenings to just throw digs at him after he's hit a few bad shots. If he wins or is playing well the trollers don't arrive. Not sure how you think this is called having a different opinion?

As Harrington said Saturday night that Golfers spend most of the time failing. 150 odd in each tournament and there can only be one winner. Do you expect Rory to win every tournament? Almost all golfer don't play as well consistently under pressure. He's number one in the world and the criticism he gets is phenomenal. As was said last night he was odds against the field and that's how it played out. He actually played very well on a very tricky course apart from a few very poor shots on the 5th.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Don't think that's what he's talking about, it's more about the trollers who arrive Sunday evenings to just throw digs at him after he's hit a few bad shots. If he wins or is playing well the trollers don't arrive. Not sure how you think this is called having a different opinion?

As Harrington said Saturday night that Golfers spend most of the time failing. 150 odd in each tournament and there can only be one winner. Do you expect Rory to win every tournament? Almost all golfer don't play as well consistently under pressure. He's number one in the world and the criticism he gets is phenomenal. As was said last night he was odds against the field and that's how it played out. He actually played very well on a very tricky course apart from a few very poor shots on the 5th.

Most golf competitions finish Sunday evening, it is hardly unexpected for posters to comment on a performance after the last ball is hit. By trollers, do you mean posters who comment on McIlroy’s performance? Surely you do not expect a discussion forum to be restricted to positive endorsements of the player?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Most golf competitions finish Sunday evening, it is hardly unexpected for posters to comment on a performance after the last ball is hit. By trollers, do you mean posters who comment on McIlroy’s performance? Surely you do not expect a discussion forum to be restricted to positive endorsements of the player?

By trolling I mean this nonsense.

Originally Posted by galwayllm View Post
    Think would Rory like if I send him a bottle?

You know, because he doesn't have any!!!..

Ahhahahahahahahaha....

C'mon everyone else...

Same bollix happens every weekend, the same 4/5 people arrive with the digs. This isn't discussion because it's all negative in tone. There to pick his faults but never comment on anything positive. It's funny now as it's so predictable.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ties Nick Faldo in 3rd spot all time* this week for most weeks at #1. Only Greg Norman and a certain Tiger Woods ahead.

*since 1986

Some going for a 30 year old bottler!

I think Rory deserves a little criticism for yesterday. The gap was clearly the putter, nothing more than hole 5 demonsrated as much.
    Scott made an almost identical error, sinks the 2nd putt, takes his +2 and moves on. Rory missed a poor putt and two or three other putts, you'd expect him to sink.

T2G, outstanding once again but a number of shots, even the other wedge he fluffed before sinking the 2nd attempt. Now of course frustration after the 5th but perhaps a lack of composure.

Overall, a great week, the Genesis means little but it's about building good habits as the year progresses, he'll come away happy but certainly with some stuff to address.
    Likely lots of short wedges around the green & the perpetual putter work in coming weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Riviera often compared to Augusta for putting stats. It has a notorious reputation for 3 putts and further nightmares. It is the graveyard of the yippers. When the sun gets up the greens can be as hard as Pinehurst, almost like putting on cement. So I am told.

I hate the bashing he gets. If you were asked who are the 5 best golfers in the world, he would be on everyone's list. I don't need any poster to reply to this statement saying " well he wouldn't be on mine etc etc", I simply won't believe you.

He is an annoying git however, I even got bored reading the Paul Kimmage interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Riviera often compared to Augusta for putting stats. It has a notorious reputation for 3 putts and further nightmares. It is the graveyard of the yippers. When the sun gets up the greens can be as hard as Pinehurst, almost like putting on cement. So I am told.

I hate the bashing he gets. If you were asked who are the 5 best golfers in the world, he would be on everyone's list. I don't need any poster to reply to this statement saying " well he wouldn't be on mine etc etc", I simply won't believe you.

He is an annoying git however, I even got bored reading the Paul Kimmage interview.

True re the course & putting. Tiger, arguably the closest thing to a non-choker on tour for all time had a 4-putt at the tournament, but no-one is calling him a choker after it.

There is a measure of unrealistic expectations. Tigers overall win % is around 22%, so close to 1-in-5. That's an insanely high number. Only himself & Ben Hogan have a rate better than 20%. Nicklaus rate is 12%, so around 1-in-8. Winning golf tournaments is extremely tough, you are a loser the vast majority of the time. Harrington said as much on with Tommy Tiernan the other night.

I think, because of Rory's talent, and the fact he's Irish, we all have this expectation that he should be winning ever tournament he enters, and he's a failure if he doesn't manage it. Its a nuts way of thinking about things.

He does seem to have the odd mental lapse, and can seem disinterested some times, especially if the putter runs cold early in a round, but he's also a phenomenal talent that can crush a field when he's on form. I, for one, love watching him play

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement