Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

Would be great to see him win on St Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big day for him, he's struggled on Sundays recently. Might be a good thing he's not in the final group. Not winning won't be a disaster but hopefully he hasn't reserved his worst round of the week for Sunday yet again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

GreeBo wrote: »
    Poor decision there, should have guaranteed he was short of the water, pitching was good enough to probsbly make birdie anyway.

Had to take enough club to keep it under the branches and it jumped out of that lie. If it comes off, you’re putting for eagle, if it doesn’t you’re still putting for birdie if it runs into the water over the back. Calculated risk and probably the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fullstop wrote: »
    Had to take enough club to keep it under the branches and it jumped out of that lie. If it comes off, you’re putting for eagle, if it doesn’t you’re still putting for birdie if it runs into the water over the back. Calculated risk and probably the right call.

disagree, he had 221yrds to the flag, the ball could have gone anywhere, easily hit the water short of the green since he was hitting a low hook off that lie. He could have hit a shot 100yrds and kept it under the branches and then pitched on for a more likely birdie, based on his short game yesterday.
    The chances of an eagle were far lower than the chances of a disaster imo.

Tbf he should have just hit the bloody fairway, but that was a surprisingly difficult problem for him yesterday.

Big day for him, he's struggled on Sundays recently. Might be a good thing he's not in the final group. Not winning won't be a disaster but hopefully he hasn't reserved his worst round of the week for Sunday yet again.

Id day yesterday was his typical bad round, thankfully he seems to have greatly improved these recently. After the start i feared a 75 or something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Would be great to see him win on St Patrick's Day.

Why ? He considers himself British.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Pissartist wrote: »

Your wrong . He considers himself Northern Irish and is on the record saying so repeatedly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You're taking the piss, surely?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Don't start that nonsense and please read the charter before you post again. Thanks

GreeBo wrote: »
    disagree, he had 221yrds to the flag, the ball could have gone anywhere, easily hit the water short of the green since he was hitting a low hook off that lie. He could have hit a shot 100yrds and kept it under the branches and then pitched on for a more likely birdie, based on his short game yesterday.
    The chances of an eagle were far lower than the chances of a disaster imo.

Tbf he should have just hit the bloody fairway, but that was a surprisingly difficult problem for him yesterday.

Have another look at the shot, didn't really hit a hook, it was just a low punch which you could see from the reverse angle. It would have been a horrendous shot to hit it in the water short of the green, as it would have been about 30 yards further right than the line he was playing. Calling hitting it in the water and being able to drop in the fringe a disaster is just silly.

Sure they should all hit the fairway, every time, shouldn't they? Golf doesn't work like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Panrich

I wonder how being paired with Day will affect him today. Day is so slow and it might be hard to get into a rhythm as Rory likes to get on with it.

I can see him have another choke Sunday on the hard dry greens, I fancy tommy or Day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Greens won't be too hard with the rain that's fallen this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I can see him have another choke Sunday on the hard dry greens, I fancy tommy or Day

Wouldn't he have to be leading to choke?

Rikand wrote: »
    Greens won't be too hard with the rain that's fallen this morning

Didn't realise it rained, that could play into his hands alright if the greens play slow and easy

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Didn't realise it rained, that could play into his hands alright if the greens play slow and easy

Great username!

Slow & easy yeh suits everybody if that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Panrich wrote: »
    I wonder how being paired with Day will affect him today. Day is so slow and it might be hard to get into a rhythm as Rory likes to get on with it.

Well they did play final round here together 2 years ago, result: McIlroy 75, Day 80!

Don’t read too much into it though. He’s played a lot of rounds with Day, good bad and indifferent. Shouldn’t be of any consequence to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

mafc wrote: »
    Great username!

Slow & easy yeh suits everybody if that’s the case.

Dunno, probably an advantage to a long hitter like rory alright. Especially on par 5s where he’s hitting irons in he’s going to be able to stop quickly. All predicated, naturally, on his long game picking up from where it was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,879 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Will he wear green tonight .

Suppose loads of them will.

It's some leaderboard though to be fair, it'll give Rory or whoever wins some confidence going to Augusta

• Advertisement

Have another look at the shot, didn't really hit a hook, it was just a low punch which you could see from the reverse angle. It would have been a horrendous shot to hit it in the water short of the green, as it would have been about 30 yards further right than the line he was playing. Calling hitting it in the water and being able to drop in the fringe a disaster is just silly.

Sure they should all hit the fairway, every time, shouldn't they? Golf doesn't work like that.

I'm pretty sure there was some bend on it based on how it ran up the green but can't find any footage to confirm. 30 yards off target from that lie hitting that shot from 221 yards considering he can miss greens with a wedge from 70 isn't such a stretch.

I didn't call it a disaster by the way, i said he opened the door for a potential disaster.

Thanks for clarifying how golf works though

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Like 2 aul wans on here

Dav010 wrote: »
    One behind, second last pairing, playing very well indeed this week, has had a very good start to the season, best pedigree of the golfers at the top, has to win it.

He doesn't have to win.

I think that is the issues with the analysis of Rory here it is all or nothing.

He is in a process at present where he is on an upward trend and all things are looking good.

He is in a leaderboard with at least 4 players who could shoot a score unreachable - the top 4 including Rory could shoot a 65 or less.

I'd take a loss here , if this trend is the way things are going, a win in a major will do for me.

I'm still fairly confident he will win a major this year. (call it a hunch if you want, as was posted here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Will he wear green tonight .

Suppose loads of them will.

No, but it wouldn't have killed him to throw on a green cap or something.

backspin. wrote: »
    No, but it wouldn't have killed him to throw on a green cap or something.

Has he no green

Jaysus Rory.

They have made the great Wall , The Burj Khalifa , The Niagra Falls green and Rory and his crack pot Nike team couldn't come up with something.

They have made the great Wall , The Burj Khalifa , The Niagra Falls green and Rory and his crack pot Nike team couldn't come up with something.

You know all those things turning green are paid to do so by Tourism Ireland, right?

You know all those things turning green are paid to do so by Tourism Ireland, right?

Yes and.

Watch loads of them will have something and nothing to do with Ireland.

Anyway , I know he doesn't have to , is apolitical.

But jaysus . The little things .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

Yes and.

Isn't he ****ing surrounded by green all day as part of his day job?

• Advertisement

Yes and.

It's a bit pointless citing them as if it wasn't a money thing. Anyway, who gives a shyte what he wears if he wins?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement