Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fullstop wrote: »
    Be a few disappointed on here tonight. Unlucky lads :)
    Where is Dav010

Must be down the local explaining to all the locals how Rory got back on top. "Get your money on him for a major", "could win 3 this year"

Joking of course

Who was saying he will never win a major ?

GreeBo - do an old multiquote for us.

For the laugh,

This sort of childish posting really plagues this forum sometimes.

There were many valid and some not so valid points made on here that were echoed by commentators over the last few weeks, it's not wrong to point out flaws in his game anymore than it is to call out Rahm's terrible decision making or to herald Furyks performance today for that matter.

Rory played very well other than slow starts today and yesterday, it certainly helped that the big movers all came from well back rather than say Rahm or Fleetwood, but his short game and lag putting were solid with some nice mid range birdie and par saves to boot. Played 18 very well but both very close to water on 17.

Certainly has to be up there for a green jacket, but not if he drives it like he did this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

Just for the record -St. Patrick -if he existed -was British.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

GreeBo wrote: »
    This sort of childish posting really plagues this forum sometimes.

There were many valid and some not so valid points made on here that were echoed by commentators over the last few weeks, it's not wrong to point out flaws in his game anymore than it is to call out Rahm's terrible decision making or to herald Furyks performance today for that matter.

Rory played very well other than slow starts today and yesterday, it certainly helped that the big movers all came from well back rather than say Rahm or Fleetwood, but his short game and lag putting were solid with some nice mid range birdie and par saves to boot. Played 18 very well but both very close to water on 17.

Certainly has to be up there for a green jacket, but not if he drives it like he did this weekend.

Thing is, though, will he be as moderate with the big stick again? That’s what was so promising about this display for me, he delivered finally even with the traditional strength of his game a little off colour. Imagine if he brings it all together over the course of 3 or 4 days.

Have to admit heart was in my mouth a bit watching that approach on 18 drawing towards the lake. But he was in control of it, wasn’t going to pu**y it out 40 feet to the right and put himself in 3 putt land. So impressive over the last stretch, cool as you like really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's funny that this has been a criticism of McIlroy on here and is now being used in the opposite way to damn him with faint praise. Swap Fleetwood and Rahm for McIlroy and people would be calling them bottlers. Have him charge from the back like Furyk or Pepperell and the narrative would be that he only plays well when the pressure is off and he knows he hasn't much chance of winning. "Can't lead from the front" being the most recent of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Happy to see him back winning again. Hope he can win the masters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's funny that this has been a criticism of McIlroy on here and is now being used in the opposite way to damn him with faint praise. Swap Fleetwood and Rahm for McIlroy and people would be calling them bottlers. Have him charge from the back like Furyk or Pepperell and the narrative would be that he only plays well when the pressure is off and he knows he hasn't much chance of winning. "Can't lead from the front" being the most recent of these.

To be fair, Rahm and Fleetwood were heavily criticised on Sky coverage for their poor decision making, the same way Mcilroy has been in the past when misfiring/collapsing in the final round.

Also, he didn’t lead from the front, he was in the second last group, same as Bay Hill last year. The lead changed quite a lot yesterday.

What impressed me most about him yesterday, after the double on the 4th he stayed mentally strong and played well after that. Too often in big tournaments, a hole like that early in the round would cause him to stall for a few holes, and then start trying too hard to get birdies.

I honestly would enjoy watching golf a lot more if it was more like this, quick play, breathtaking shots by many of the players, mistakes, lead changes and Mcilroy winning.

Well if you wasn't to start a rahm or fleetwood thread ill be right in there too lambaste their poor play and decision making.

I haven't seen anyone try to take anything away from his performances this week, he was pretty solid if unspectacular...put it this way, tiger 10 years ago from the same position wins it by 5+.
    same for Rory 5 years ago, he is clearly not quite where he was, but hopefully this puts him beck up there.
    You can't deny that the other main contenders pretty much collapsed yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Well if you wasn't to start a rahm or fleetwood thread ill be right in there too lambaste their poor play and decision making.

I haven't seen anyone try to take anything away from his performances this week, he was pretty solid if unspectacular...put it this way, tiger 10 years ago from the same position wins it by 5+.
    same for Rory 5 years ago, he is clearly not quite where he was,
    but hopefully this puts him beck up there.

I buy none of this. Outside of the fact that nobody is trying to claim that he is chasing Tiger's ghost, you don't know that Tiger would have won by 5+.

When you say where he was, what does that mean? Is he not where he was in terms of finishes, victories, strokes gained, GIR, money earned?
    These sweeping statements add nothing of value to critiques and are simply distractions to worthwhile discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Would be interesting to hear if he’s ever had a run if scoring like this previously - I suspect not.

• Advertisement

Would be interesting to hear if he’s ever had a run if scoring like this previously - I suspect not.
    The only time he's had close to the number of top finishes he's had this year was in 2012. Five top fives out of five (including a win in the Honda Classic) before that Masters. No idea how the stats match up, but that's the only other year he's had a start like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

same for Rory 5 years ago, he is clearly not quite where he was, but hopefully this puts him beck up there.

With all due respect this is garbage. The requirement is to win. Winning is hard. He won.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The only time he's had close to the number of top finishes he's had this year was in 2012. Five top fives out of five (including a win in the Honda Classic) before that Masters. No idea how the stats match up, but that's the only other year he's had a start like this.

That Masters was 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I haven’t seen anyone try to take anything away from his performance this week...but in the same sentence I’ll try to take away from his performance cause tiger would have been better...hypothetically. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Delighted for him getting the win. Hopefully the springboard for a big season. Would be great if some of his colleagues looked at his pace of play and tried to emulate it.

That Masters was 2011
    Cheers. Wasn't giving that much thought tbh. I was looking at the sequence of finishes and should have twigged that T40 was a bit much for someone who was leading after 54 holes. :o

HighLine wrote: »
    Delighted for him getting the win. Hopefully the springboard for a big season. Would be great if some of his colleagues looked at his pace of play and tried to emulate it.

Pace of play is ridiculous tbf. I understand the genuine rationale as the decisions are often quite big. Additionally as tactic to undermine faster players like Rory it may be beneficial to certain players like Ronnie vs Ebdon in snooker for example.

Perhaps there is some merit in a shot clock type format outside X yardage, if on the fairway, between rounds 1-3 etc. I think there is scope for some improvements.

I remember I went to see the Irish Open in Carton House with a friend of the family when the Monty course opened. Family friend was a big Monty fan for years so I went with him but Harrington was one group ahead/behind and Clarke & Olazabal was the other.

First I went to see Harrington and I couldn't believe how slow he was, painful to watch. Then I followed Clarke & Olazabal which was really enjoyable, good banter and fun to watch. Fans are less patient than ever, I suspect if 5 hour+ rounds continue then a rule change will occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Up to 4th in the world and within striking distance of the top

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

Rikand wrote: »

What’s required to get him to Número Uno? There seems to be a chance for the top 3/4 to reach the summit every week!

I’d also imagine that his recent run of form will see him move up the rankings as these results become more relevant to his ranking score, rather than previous drops in form over the past 12 months.

What’s required to get him to Número Uno? There seems to be a chance for the top 3/4 to reach the summit every week!

I’d also imagine that his recent run of form will see him move up the rankings as these results become more relevant to his ranking score, rather than previous drops in form over the past 12 months.
    It's a rolling two year ranking system with weighting. So the stuff at the back end is reduced to almost nothing before it falls off. Rory had a pretty poor 2017, so he's really losing nothing there. It will still be a battle with DJ and probably JT and Rose as well. They've all had very decent starts to the year and will presumably be in the mix regularly.

• Advertisement

With all due respect this is garbage. The requirement is to win. Winning is hard. He won.

Feel free to disagree, i already said it was a good one to win but there are many ways to win, some better than others. Everyone else was falling away, a dominant golfer would have won by more than a shot as there were clearly low scores to be had out there.
    So yes he is playing well at the moment but i wouldn't call it dominating the field.

If you disregard the manner of the win and don't analyse it you won't learn anything from it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He wins one of the biggest tournaments and payouts in golf and you still find fault. I'm guessing you have never been a Rory fan, which is fine but nick picking at big wins is just crazy.

Feel free to disagree, i already said it was a good one to win but there are many ways to win, some better than others. Everyone else was falling away, a dominant golfer would have won by more than a shot as there were clearly low scores to be had out there.
    So yes he is playing well at the moment but i wouldn't call it dominating the field.

If you disregard the manner of the win and don't analyse it you won't learn anything from it.

Do you not think this is somewhat ironic in light of your posts over the past number of weeks?

Keano wrote: »
    He wins one of the biggest tournaments and payouts in golf and you still find fault. I'm guessing you have never been a Rory fan, which is fine but nick picking at big wins is just crazy.

What fault did i find? What did i nit pick?
    Do you think he drove well at the weekend?

Perhaps read my posts rather than assume what they say.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Do you not think this is somewhat ironic in light of your posts over the past number of weeks?

In what way? What have i said over the past weeks?
    I think the last thing i said was that it was more likely that he would win it by others falling away... which is pretty much what happened imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What fault did i find? What did i nit pick?
    Do you think he drove well at the weekend?

Perhaps read my posts rather than assume what they say.

Perhaps read your own posts again, you’ll find the answer to your first two questions in them.

fullstop wrote: »
    Perhaps read your own posts again, you’ll find the answer to your first two questions in them.

indeed. Still a good debate to be had here these days i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Rikand wrote: »

Wont be far off especially with a good showing in the Masters. He has a good few MC from 2 years ago doe to drop off his record

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

McIlroy is a gifted golfer as we all know, but there was something different about his win at Sawgrass this weekend. Something more mature. He didn't let that double bogey derail his round like we've seen so many times before. That mental strength is what McIlroy needs to get right to complete the holy grail of a career grand slam.

I really think this might be the year he breaks through and adds the Masters title to his Majors haul. There's just something about his demeanour, his striking, his putting. His finishes this year have been ridiculously good - all top 6 if I'm not mistaking.

I've already put money on him for the Masters and I'm strongly considering putting a few more quid on him.. I like having a bet on the golf majors and usually set aside some money and do 4 or 5 e/w bets on guys from 33/1 to 150/1 and usually at least one is in the shakeup come Sunday. I'm strongly considering putting the lot on the McIlroy win this year. I just think this is the year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Keano wrote: »

To be fair, you are at least equally biased, which is an unfortunate characteristic in a mod.

Mcilroy divides opinion, not just here, also when he is the topic of discussion by far more learned voices than ours. You have a tendency to snidely mock those who dare criticise (“wow”) and above, when he wins, then do the same when anyone criticises him for blowing repeated chances on final days. It derails discussion. I think he is a great golfer, one of the best obviously considering his ranking and past wins, but I have always thought he lacked the mental strength under pressure to consistently make good on the talent and success he showed early in his career 2012-14 and the 10 final day pairings without a win seemed to at least allow for some discussion. He played great this weekend, but he played great in Bay Hill last year and didn’t win again all season. So let’s just see if he kicks on, or falls back into the routine of the last couple of years where good days were regularly followed by bad.

By the way, I agree with the joeyjoejoe43, something did look different this weekend, particularly after the 4th yesterday. Maybe his mindset is different this year and he will be less prone to stalling when in contention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement