Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Strange to see Rory playing well in the wind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Absolutely not. If your Dad was a barman, would you choose him to advise you regarding your elite sporting career and to help you run your multimillion dollar global business? Would you consider falling out with successive management companies unlucky or stupid? Would you regret a litany of foot in mouth moments or would you form the view that you know best?

He is a supremely talented golfer but the man is a fool.

I think a lot of people would listen to their Dad because he’s their Dad, associating being a Barman means lacking common or business sense is a bit preducial. Gerry worked long hours and sacrificed a lot to give Rory every chance, his life skills alone deserve a listen to.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

slave1 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people would listen to their Dad because he’s their Dad, associating being a Barman means lacking common or business sense is a bit preducial. Gerry worked long hours and sacrificed a lot to give Rory every chance, his life skills alone deserve a listen to.

Probably feels he can trust his Dad instead of someone who is trying to make millions from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

His game looks really good to me - really solid in all aspects.

• Advertisement

Big round needed from Rory, needs to put that final day fold to bed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If he gets past the 8th without a bogey, can certainly win.

His only two so far was R1(8) & R2(4), and averaging 5 birdies per round.

Any other day he would be considered the fav,
    but the bookies still now only have him 2ndfav.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

That would require intelligence, something that’s thin on the ground in the McIlroy household.

He thinks he knows it all.

A shame, as what a talent, but he hasn’t a brain in his head and he’s surrounded himself with Yes Men. Wee Gerry the Barman has far too much influence over things too unfortunately.

Please refrain from posting in such a manner. It’s not adding anything to the debate and it’s insulting someone’s family members for no reason. This is your first and last warning

In fairness woodland has been excellent, I just hope Rory doesn't have his worst round of the week reserved for tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Put Woodland under pressure he'll fold. Just edged past for bird on 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

His wedge game just isn't good enough. He hits so many wedges but his proximity to the hole just does not give him enough chances. That's the difference tonight. Woodland is giving himself chances and Shuffles is superb on the greens.

Rory just doesn't give himself a chance

In fairness woodland has been excellent, I just hope Rory doesn't have his worst round of the week reserved for tonight.

and Rory fails to fire on the last day again. Something he needs to address going forward. Would have needed a 63 to win in any case. Great stuff from shuffles.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Shame, but you have to go all the way down to Patrick Reed in joint 25th for a worse round than Rory yesterday.
    That's just brutal stuff, especially since his Saturday was so solid, he's got to stop choking one of the weekend rounds.

Super final round for Scauffele, the 62 sounds super but its a par 73 so when you see the 11 under round it's more impressive (and he bogied the first!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ExPaddy

Scauffele's closing holes looked like McIlroy's win at Quail Hollow - great long approach shots that few others cam close to.. and he's steady as hell... one bad drive and he birdied the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Strange to see Rory playing well in the wind.

They mentioned this in the commentary. They were saying how he usually hits the ball really high but during this tournament he was hitting low trajectory stinger type drives due to the wind. I can't remember the exact explanation. Anyway they mentioned it was something he was working on over the winter break to add to all the other shots he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

neddynasty wrote: »
    They mentioned this in the commentary. They were saying how he usually hits the ball really high but during this tournament he was hitting low trajectory stinger type drives due to the wind. I can't remember the exact explanation. Anyway they mentioned it was something he was working on over the winter break to add to all the other shots he has.

It really seems to be the shot de rigueur on tour at the moment, every other tweet you see from the PGA tour seems to be referencing the low trajectory & peak height of drives.

I guess the sawn-off swing probably offers a bit more control

It really seems to be the shot de rigueur on tour at the moment, every other tweet you see from the PGA tour seems to be referencing the low trajectory & peak height of drives.

I guess the sawn-off swing probably offers a bit more control

I think there's an element of it just looking sexy, especially on shot tracer footage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

neddynasty wrote: »

You can see the changes in his follow through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Is it just me or is this video a bit weird? I know it's marketing for Taylormade but still...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsolc6kFO7i/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

HighLine wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this video a bit weird? I know it's marketing for Taylormade but still...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsolc6kFO7i/

Is that Rotella talking in the background? Sounds a bit like him anyway. Doesn’t seem that weird to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Is that Rotella talking in the background? Sounds a bit like him anyway. Doesn’t seem that weird to me anyway.

It's Brad Faxon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

If McIlroy was playing as much golf as Phil he would be winning far more imo and putting himself in a better position to win the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

backspin. wrote: »
    If McIlroy was playing as much golf as Phil he would be winning far more imo and putting himself in a better position to win the majors.

Sorry, but what complete horsehit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

rooney30 wrote: »

Well personally I do think he needs to play a little more. I think it’s tough for players to show up ever couple of weeks and expect to perform. It’s probably a bit easier to play a couple of weeks in a row to try get in the tournament groove.

Anyway, worked for him this morning anyway. Round of 8 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Good counter argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

GreeBo wrote: »
    Good counter argument.

Check his schedule this year . It’s built around the majors . He is playing as much golf as anybody else around then . He has committed to play the week before every major which means he may miss the Irish open . The fact that he doesn’t have the wheelbarrow out like the likes of Phil and rose in the wrap around season hardy impacts his firm in the majors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭bren2001

Check his schedule this year . It’s built around the majors . He is playing as much golf as anybody else around then . He has committed to play the week before every major which means he may miss the Irish open . The fact that he doesn’t have the wheelbarrow out like the likes of Phil and rose in the wrap around season hardy impacts his firm in the majors

He gave his schedule pre-Masters there. He aint playing the Valero. His last tournament pre-Masters is the WGC in Mexico. Granted, I've no issue with his schedule, he should do whatever he believes will give him the best chance at winning majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

bren2001 wrote: »
    He gave his schedule pre-Masters there. He aint playing the Valero. His last tournament pre-Masters is the WGC in Mexico. Granted, I've no issue with his schedule, he should do whatever he believes will give him the best chance at winning majors.

Definitely got to be playing the Players anyway and thought he’d be playing the Arnold Palmer event as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

bren2001 wrote: »

That’s the WGC matchplay will be his last tournament before the masters. Mexico is next week. Presume he will defend in Bay Hill andbplat the players as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement