Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jumbo2018

He's basically doing what he wants without having to give in to other peoples expectations. Its great to see this - rather than think there is nothing going on upstairs - I think he's very smart and self-aware and has just reached the point now that he knows he's made enough money that he doesn't have to play any games any more.
    He does whatever the fu*k he wants which is great to see.

And yet the more selfish he has become over the years the less successful as a player he has been.

He should be playing more in europe for his own sake as he was a lot more successful when he actually played regular european tour events also considering he's one of the games best players (or supposed to be at least) he has a responsibility (as do all the top players) whether he likes it or not to promote his sport and he seems completely un-interested in doing so running down the european tour and deciding to not even play in the Irish open is not really what you'd expect from someone who's supposed to be an ambassador for the sport.

The problem with McIlroy aswell is although you've praised him for speaking his mind and telling the truth he'll almost certainly backtrack from whats he's said as anytime he says anything remotely controversial he changes his mind fairly quickly afterwards, at least if he had some balls and didn't constantly backtrack with his comments you could respect him for it but he's always backtracking anytime he says something that people disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Jumbo2018 wrote: »
    And yet the more selfish he has become over the years the less successful as a player he has been.

He should be playing more in europe for his own sake as he was a lot more successful when he actually played regular european tour events also considering he's one of the games best players (or supposed to be at least) he has a responsibility (as do all the top players) whether he likes it or not to promote his sport and he seems completely un-interested in doing so running down the european tour and deciding to not even play in the Irish open is not really what you'd expect from someone who's supposed to be an ambassador for the sport.

The problem with McIlroy aswell is although you've praised him for speaking his mind and telling the truth he'll almost certainly backtrack from whats he's said as anytime he says anything remotely controversial he changes his mind fairly quickly afterwards, at least if he had some balls and didn't constantly backtrack with his comments you could respect him for it but he's always backtracking anytime he says something that people disagree with.

He is probably the second most recognisable face in golf, he does more than enough to promote it.

Any poster on here capable of playing on the PGA Tour would be over there instead of playing in places like Prague.

States is where you will remain at the top or get back to the top, not Europe whether we like it or not.

AGC wrote: »
    He is probably the second most recognisable face in golf, he does more than enough to promote it.

Any poster on here capable of playing on the PGA Tour would be over there instead of playing in places like Prague.

States is where you will remain at the top or get back to the top, not Europe whether we like it or not.

But as he's gradually become close to 100% focused on playing in America he's become less successful in general, he hasn't won a major since 2014 and he's gone 3 full years without winning a WGC event either.Playing in Europe could help him overall as he's be in contention more often and winning tends to breed winning particularly for McIlroy who was a very streaky player.

I don't think anyone expects him to play in mickey mouse events on the Europen tour but is it really that much to ask him to play in the Irish open and a few other marquee events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I would think what is happening is a primary focus on the PGA tour for one season. He lives in the US and is settled there now. He has mentioned the constant travelling so perhaps there is an aspect to that here as well. Professionally, he has stated that after the desert swing by the time he is back on the PGA tour he is 100th in the fedex cup. Privately, no doubt he has discussed it all with the wife and the decision is to primarily stay in the states for a season. Maybe they are starting a family and they want to stay in the US as much as possible.

So essentially, start and stay on the PGA for a whole season and see what happens. He has the control now to do this and has taken that option. I wouldn't surprised if he wins a brace of tour titles and perhaps another major this season without the constant travelling.

Golf doesn't revolve around him anymore. From 2011 through to 2015 he was the top dog, the man in demand and he rightly courted himself as any good pro would have done.

He owes nothing to anyone beyond corporate commitments, most of which are US based as is. We will have plenty of the world's best teeing it up in Lahinch in preparation for the Open. It's refreshing that he is being blunt and honest about not playing Lahinch in a way.

But as he's gradually become close to 100% focused on playing in America he's become less successful in general, he hasn't won a major since 2014 and he's gone 3 full years without winning a WGC event either.Playing in Europe could help him overall as he's be in contention more often and winning tends to breed winning particularly for McIlroy who was a very streaky player.

I don't think anyone expects him to play in mickey mouse events on the Europen tour but is it really that much to ask him to play in the Irish open and a few other marquee events.

He was in contention in 2 of the 4 majors and the tour championship. He was in contention in Dubai. He won one of the bigger events in America also, what good would him playing in Europe against lesser fields with less world ranking points do for him?

He finished 7th in the race to Dubai and the names above him illustrate how much it is a global game and solely focusing on Europe will not work.

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    He was in contention in 2 of the 4 majors and the tour championship. He was in contention in Dubai. He won one of the bigger events in America also, what good would him playing in Europe against lesser fields with less world ranking points do for him?

He finished 7th in the race to Dubai and the names above him illustrate how much it is a global game and solely focusing on Europe will not work.

In contention being the key word there.

He appears to not really be able to close tournaments out anymore, winning is a habit in most sports and he's really got out of that habit in recent years when I think giving himself to chance of winning more often would be good for him, again I'm not suggesting he should play in the smaller European tour events but some of the bigger ones and he should 100% be playing in the Irish open.

In contention being the key word there.

He appears to not really be able to close tournaments out anymore, winning is a habit in most sports and he's really got out of that habit in recent years when I think giving himself to chance of winning more often would be good for him, again I'm not suggesting he should play in the smaller European tour events but some of the bigger ones and he should 100% be playing in the Irish open.

I agree on the Irish open and I don’t think he has written it off? but he is in contention enough around the world not to be coming back to lesser European events.

At the end of the day he lives in States, married to an American, big events are in America, money and world ranking is in America it is an absolute no brainier.

He is one of a lot of players in the same boat but is the one that seems to get the flack because he is honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

What he said is the truth though.

Is it better to lie and tell people what they want to hear these days?
    I don’t understand what’s the fuss about.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Judging by comments here, the truth would appear to hurt.

I'll be looking forward to seeing him take on the best regularly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

He seems to be a horrible individual. There seems to be very little going on upstairs. His father has way too much influence and Rory seems to act first and think later. He surrounds himself with Yes Men. Now he appears to be treating the European Tour and his colleagues with contempt.

The word on the street is that McIlroy demanded guaranteed appearance money from the Rolex Series events, including the Irish Open; a bit rich given that he was its host until this year. When the Tour refused, it’s alleged that Rory threw his toys out of his pram and abandoned ship.

At what point do people realise that Rory is the problem? He seems to have fallen out with everyone...Chubby Chandler, Conor Ridge, his ex-caddie, Paul McGinley, the European Tour. Calling a spade a spade, he is not a nice guy.

He's basically doing what he wants without having to give in to other peoples expectations. Its great to see this - rather than think there is nothing going on upstairs - I think he's very smart and self-aware and has just reached the point now that he knows he's made enough money that he doesn't have to play any games any more.
    He does whatever the fu*k he wants which is great to see.

Yes, I believe the technical term is “eejit” or “gobsh1te”.

His behaviour and utterances are frequently embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

6 Facebook Live Videos posted in the Last Day....

An attempt to Boost his image or is he getting a few $$$ off them...

Ronney wrote: »
    6 Facebook Live Videos posted in the Last Day....

An attempt to Boost his image or is he getting a few $$$ off them...

Keeping sponsors happy and promoting the latest driver from Taylor Made

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

His behaviour and utterances are frequently embarrassing.

To who? Not himself or he wouldn't make them so who?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Does the new PGA Tour schedule have anything to do with Rory playing mainly in the US this year?

If he was to play a handful of the marquee events in Europe would it be almost impossible with the new PGA Tour schedule with travel etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

neddynasty wrote: »
    Does the new PGA Tour schedule have anything to do with Rory playing mainly in the US this year?

If he was to play a handful of the marquee events in Europe would it be almost impossible with the new PGA Tour schedule with travel etc?

With the Players in March, the Masters, the PGA in May, the US Open in June until the Open in July it's pretty much a US-centric schedule with the fedex cup taking precedence thereafter. You never know with corporate sponsor's. It might well be the case that he must retain a high OGWR to get the full bonus contractual payouts. He might believe he has the best chance to retain a high WR as most ranking points can be acquired with a US based schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

He could have done all this without the grandiosity and statement making. Plenty of European players have switched to the US tour (even the marquee players) and have done so without making the big deal of it that Rory is doing here. There was never a problem in any of those guys switching tours either. Fine, go play in the States, big deal.

Maybe it's him thinking it's more considerate to explain his reasons, but his comments speak of something a little more negative.

Coming out with statements like "stepping stone" and "I've done my time" are pretty poor taste in my opinion. It's not like the European tour is some academy or some sort of relationship where one owes the other or vice versa.

He's playing a fine line between an American arse licker like Feherty and the chest pumping Euro boy like Ian Poulter.

Just get on with the golf for a change Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thankfully anyway he's back to playing golf. Decent start to the season, - 4 which included 5 birdies and 1 bogey to lie 3 shots off the lead in the tournament of champions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

ligerdub wrote: »
    He could have done all this without the grandiosity and statement making. Plenty of European players have switched to the US tour (even the marquee players) and have done so without making the big deal of it that Rory is doing here. There was never a problem in any of those guys switching tours either. Fine, go play in the States, big deal.

Maybe it's him thinking it's more considerate to explain his reasons, but his comments speak of something a little more negative.

Coming out with statements like "stepping stone" and "I've done my time" are pretty poor taste in my opinion. It's not like the European tour is some academy or some sort of relationship where one owes the other or vice versa.

He's playing a fine line between an American arse licker like Feherty and the chest pumping Euro boy like Ian Poulter.

Just get on with the golf for a change Rory!

Think his statements come on the back of constant questioning.

Rory has done as much as any top 10 player to play and promote the European Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

As gutted as I'll be if he skips Lahinch, I really don't think he owes the Irish Open anything. He pretty much single handedly saved it from extinction.

Another nice round of 68. Didn't see any of it though but seems to be playing well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be interesting to see can he buck his weakness last year and make a positive move on moving day, last yr he seemed to have a crap Saturday then a no pressure Sunday and finish in the top 10

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

slave1 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see can he buck his weakness last year and make a positive move on moving day, last yr he seemed to have a crap Saturday then a no pressure Sunday and finish in the top 10

Think it was more his Friday stats that were woeful last year, wasn’t he miles down the ranking for R2 scoring average?
    We won’t really know if he’s turned a corner until we see him in contention anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, Friday bad but he made cuts, Saturday is the big day to place yourself for contention Sunday

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Another nice round of 68. Didn't see any of it though but seems to be playing well.

Played well, saw it up to 15 which he should have birdied.

His putting stroke looks better.

Was extremely windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The pressure of not winning more majors is getting to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Saw his round last night, seemed to very much in control of his full shots, shouldve been 2 better but for his chipping. Mickey Mouse event he should be winning all things said.

Rory is just too honest, needs to be more bland with his answers, ala Brooks or DJ.

A few media training sessions required me thinks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory is just too honest, needs to be more bland with his answers, ala Brooks or DJ.

A few media training sessions required me thinks.

That would require intelligence, something that’s thin on the ground in the McIlroy household.

He thinks he knows it all.

A shame, as what a talent, but he hasn’t a brain in his head and he’s surrounded himself with Yes Men. Wee Gerry the Barman has far too much influence over things too unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

That would require intelligence, something that’s thin on the ground in the McIlroy household.

A shame, as what a talent, but he hasn’t a brain in his head and he’s surrounded himself with Yes Men. Wee Gerry the Barman has far too much influence over things too unfortunately.

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Advertisement

Obvious troll is obvious.

Absolutely not. If your Dad was a barman, would you choose him to advise you regarding your elite sporting career and to help you run your multimillion dollar global business? Would you consider falling out with successive management companies unlucky or stupid? Would you regret a litany of foot in mouth moments or would you form the view that you know best?

He is a supremely talented golfer but the man is a fool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement