Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaw dropping moments and twists in films and TV shows

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭Bananatop

Roadhouse. Story of a bouncer
    who also does yoga and has a soft side to him, but who can rip out a man's throat if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

In the wire when
    Omar Got Shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Battlestar Galactica has so many good ones, that weren't played for shocks and always reinvented the ongoing story and the stakes for the surviors.

Massive spoilers

Season 2 :

Roslin rigging the election for the right reasons
    Roslin caught cheating and giving up power to Baltar resulting in unforseen events and dire consequences.

Cylons stop pursuit of survivors.

One year later on New Caprica under Baltar's presidency,
    population and military are complacent and then BAM! like a WW2 horror movie
    Cylons fleet reappears in orbit, caught off guard, No time to defend, so Adama orders the entire Fleet to jump away out of orbit for safety and leaves 95% abandoned on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

The ending of No Way Out, the thriller with Kevin Costner from 1987 (when he was making good movies! ) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093640/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

When tony soprano killed
    chris.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Seth MacFarlane tweeted this yesterday;

"I mean, you didn't really think we'd kill off
    Brian
    , did you? Jesus, we'd have to be fúcking high"

This man was once in my "very cool famous people" pile, now he's veering very much towards the "gobshíte" special section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Seth MacFarlane tweeted this yesterday;

"I mean, you didn't really think we'd kill off
    Brian
    , did you? Jesus, we'd have to be fúcking high"

This man was once in my "very cool famous people" pile, now he's veering very much towards the "gobshíte" special section
    I dont like him, he's very 'catty' when it comes to celebrities, goes to the extreme and thinks it makes it makes it more funny. hes very talented nonetheless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Last week's Game Of Thrones and
    the death of Joffrey!
    was a true shocker for those of us who havent read the books or online spoilers.
    Id have thought he would have lasted at least two more seasons and be killed at the sword of Arya Stark

Anything else come up recently that left your jaw on the floor?

Use spoilers! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Last week's Game Of Thrones and
    the death of Joffrey!
    was a true shocker for those of us who havent read the books or online spoilers.
    Id have thought he would have lasted at least two more seasons and be killed at the sword of Arya Stark

Anything else come up recently that left your jaw on the floor?

Use spoilers! ;)

I personally hoped
    Sansa Stark would be the one to do him in

What a gorgeous show in every respect.
    I haven't seen see the likes of it again for a very long time. (I haven't)

This, BSG, Firefly, and The Wire, and even 24.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

In Calvary
    The identity of the killer at the end of Calvary had me going WTF. Masterfully done and the actor (who is normally known as a comic actor with nice guy roles) who plays him put in a very tense and skillful performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

In the Wire - this was a shocker
    Stringer getting the bullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What kind of idiot wouldn't see that as a spoiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

House of Cards. Start of Season 2
    the bit with the train
    :eek: Had to rewind 3 times to confirm what had just happened. And then I was all like :mad: and then a bit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas recently and was really shocked at the ending.

Also, the original Wicker Man - another shocking ending.

Best twist has to be Sixth Sense. Definitely did not see that coming.

Last but not least, 'that' scene from Crying Game..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Oldboy - I was picking my jaw up off the ground after that twist came along

Not the greatest movie, but JAW DROPPING ending, ballsy as hell for a Hollywood movie. One of the best moments in that turbulent series.
    The dawning realisation that they were in the wrong place at the right time
    (even consider suicide)

Goes Back to the nihilistic tone of T1

Love the music and the acting on their faces throughout.
    A pity they didn't keep the actors for the next one.

I can't say enough good things about this scene. I remember watching this a few years ago (2007 I think) having not seen T3 in the cinema,
    Panic, despair and finally, resignation and acceptance as the horror of their situation is realized. I consider this the most terrifying moment in that series, feels so human, waiting out a nuclear war, apparently more scenes of worldwide destruction were cut because of proximity to 9/11. I love a shocking, downbeat ending and the fact that Skynet was now even more powerful and monolithic NOW (in T3), than it would have been if it gone online in the 90's as intended, which was a horrible, nightmarish irony of the ending. Moore's law in effect. You can change your fate, but the ineveitable is the inevitable, you can't hold off humanity's curiosity forever. They took the story to the natural logical conclusion. Somebody, somewhere would eventually create an AI like this.

James Cameron's zeal in altering fate may very well have destroyed the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,550 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Saw the new Spider-Man movie yesterday and did not expect
    Gwen to die

Although apparently it was expected as it was foretold in the comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

cjmcork wrote: »
    In the Wire - this was a shocker
    Stringer getting the bullet

Yeah, no one expected that. "Well get on with it motherfckers"

DISTRICT 9
    Haven't not known anything about the movie or seen any trailers.

Was the chestburster in ALIEN for the first time. Jeeessssusss!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Fair City is a very demanding watch lately with all the riding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Red Kev wrote: »
    THIS:

I was totally gobsmacked.......

.....then I just p1ssed myself laughing.

I still to this day cannot believe they actually used the clip! But I do love them for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

In the wire when
    Omar Got Shot

In The Wire when
    Wallace gets killed, Mikes father gets killed, Frank Sobotka goes to his doom and many many more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

West Wing:
    Mrs Landinghams car accident :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The ending of the film The Mist. Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

That scene (in the OR) in the episode 'Abyssinia, Henry' of M*A*S*H where Radar comes in telling everyone what happened to Colonel Henry Blake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Probably been brought up before but there's a pivotal moment in a documentary called "Dear Zachery". It really is a killer. I had to turn the movie off and came back to it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In Transformers The Movie (the animated one from 1986, not that CGI pile of crap) when
    Optimus Prime died
    I almost burst into tears in the cinema (I was only nine or ten). :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Edited some posts to add spoilers, don't quote them when replying to the poster, report them to a mod! bloody hell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Probably been brought up before but there's a pivotal moment in a documentary called "Dear Zachery". It really is a killer. I had to turn the movie off and came back to it later.

Every time this documentary is mentioned I end up feeling like a heartless bitch because I wasn't that affected by it, I mean it was sad and all but I wasn't affected by it the way other people seem to have been. Blackfish on the other hand, didn't have any expectations and watched the whole thing while sobbing like a baby. Strange.

Advertisement