Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaw dropping moments and twists in films and TV shows

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Fraggle Rock

It's not Spike Jones, or even Spike Jonze, it's Spike Lee.

The end of New World when
    Ja-seong kills everyone who knows he's a cop so he can be the head of the syndicate.

Sorry. Spike Lee. Would you believe, ive always got Spike Lee, Jonez and Milligan mixed up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Commando..."Bennet!...I thought you were..."

"Dead?....You thought wrong!"

Awesome!

Obviously, The Usual Suspects twist was incredible as well. I love re-watching the movie and spotting all the little clues/hints scattered around pointing toward Verbal being the mysterious criminal.

Sorry but that was a lazy-assed cop-out ending...it explained nothing and didn't make any sense...much like the film in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

chopper6 wrote: »
    Sorry but that was a lazy-assed cop-out ending...it explained nothing and didn't make any sense...much like the film in general.

How was it a lazy cop-out if him being Soze was the whole point of the film? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

And I thought I was the only person entirely underwhelmed by that film. the big reveal a total Meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Momento was good like

How was it a lazy cop-out if him being Soze was the whole point of the film? :confused:

There actually was no point to the film and Soze didn't exist...and that was probably the worst bit of acting that Pete Postlethwaite ever did...covering his face with walnut juice and affecting a dodgy accent for starters.

There actually was no point to the film and Soze didn't exist...and that was probably the worst bit of acting that Pete Postlethwaite ever did...covering his face with walnut juice and affecting a dodgy accent for starters.

I know that Soze as he was depicted was a fabrication, just that it was Verbal all along pulling the strings.

What do you mean by there was no point to the film? It was a good film with excellent casting, acting, an intricate and interesting plot and a brilliant twist at the end. The point of the film was to entertain the viewer, which it did for me. Fair enough if you didn't enjoy it or thought it was too convoluted or whatever, but to call the ending a "cop-out" doesn't make any sense because that's what the entire movie is based around.

I know that Soze as he was depicted was a fabrication, just that it was Verbal all along pulling the strings.

What do you mean by there was no point to the film? It was a good film with excellent casting, acting, an intricate and interesting plot and a brilliant twist at the end. The point of the film was to entertain the viewer, which it did for me. Fair enough if you didn't enjoy it or thought it was too convoluted or whatever, but to call the ending a "cop-out" doesn't make any sense because that's what the entire movie is based around.

So the mythical Soze executed his own family to make a point to some bad guys? Oh yeah...very believable,that.

And as for excellent casting...what about Benicio del Torres...muttering and stuttering his way through the movie in an uncomprehensable accent that kept changing and altering?

Also, although it may not count as a "twist" exactly, in Sin City finding out that Jessica Alba was the older Nancy surprised me a bit as I knew nothing about the comics or film beforehand.

• Advertisement

So the mythical Soze executed his own family to make a point to some bad guys? Oh yeah...very believable,that.

The film is not supposed to be hyper-realistic. Most majorly successful television shows and films have moments which are unbelievable, I don't why you'd bring that up considering it doesn't detract from the movie at all.

Oh, you mean a high school teacher with cancer becomes a powerful drug-lord?

Oh, you mean Tyler Durden didn't exist?

Oh, you mean a murderous killer uses a coin to decide people's fate and doesn't get caught despite killing numerous people?
    chopper6 wrote:
    And as for excellent casting...what about Benicio del Torres...muttering and stuttering his way through the movie in an uncomprehensable accent that kept changing and altering?

He did that because the script he was given was devoid of any character development or depth, so he gave life to Fenster by adding in unusual mannerisms to make the character be somewhat memorable and interesting to watch.

It was good acting to do that, not bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The end of Lost. Who saw that coming...........
    Oh yeah.everybody after the first episode....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but... and this 'might' be going OT, but in the game "BioShock" - Great Storyline... and the pinnacle part near the end with regards to Andrew Ryan and the revealations just before then...
    Would you kindly explain what you are on about ;)

He did that because the script he was given was devoid of any character development or depth, so he gave life to Fenster by adding in unusual mannerisms to make the character be somewhat memorable and interesting to watch.

It was good acting to do that, not bad.

Benicio del Torres ruins every film he's ever in...much like Charlie Sheen...he can't act to save his life and neither can Pete Posthletwaite.

Benicio del Torres ruins every film he's ever in...much like Charlie Sheen...he can't act to save his life and neither can Pete Posthletwaite.

No Country For Old Men...another rubbish film...it always impresses the immature though...I suppose you like The Road too?

No Country For Old Men...another rubbish film...it always impresses the immature though...I suppose you like The Road too?

I've never seen The Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

The original Planet of the Apes movie, saw it when I was about 10 one night:
    Statue of Liberty in ruins... he was on Earth all along!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

In The Pianist when the Nazis raid the Jewish apartment building and the Jewish family is sat around the table eating dinner, the Nazis command them all to stand up, the old man in a wheelchair is not fit to stand up so they lift him in his wheelchair and casually toss him off the balcony, they were 4 or 5 floors up.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

mutley18 wrote: »
    In The Pianist when the Nazis raid the Jewish apartment building and the Jewish family is sat around the table eating dinner, the Nazis command them all to stand up, the old man in a wheelchair is not fit to stand up so they lift him in his wheelchair and casually toss him off the balcony, they were 4 or 5 floors up.

Yeah, that's an unforgettably horrible scene. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

The end of Lost. Who saw that coming...........
    Oh yeah.everybody after the first episode....

Doubt they did to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

esther, in the film Orphan :eek::eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Get out.

Get out now!

RainMaker wrote: »
    The original Planet of the Apes movie, saw it when I was about 10 one night:
    Statue of Liberty in ruins... he was on Earth all along!

Think that was the first twist ending I saw on a film as a kid. Its brilliance was never touched in the remake.

Memento. It took several viewings over many years to figure that
    Leonard Shelby's (Guy Pearce) wife (Jorja Fox) is revealed to have survived the night she was supposedly murdered, only to die sometime later when she made her husband give her an overdose of insulin, a fate previously claimed to belong to the wife (Harriet Sansom Harris) of one of Shelby's former clients, Sammy Jankis (Stephen Tobolowsky), who was in fact unmarried.

Another Christopher Nolan classic with many twists is The Prestige. A very under-rated film

wil wrote: »
    And I thought I was the only person entirely underwhelmed by that film. the big reveal a total Meh

I'm glad I'm not the only one who
    spent most of the movie waiting for Spacey to be revealed as Soze. Soon as the Soze story was told I knew it had to be the limpy simpleton.

The Sixth Sense was another one. How anyone didn't figure it out in the first 40 minutes is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Dusk Till Dawn: Genuinely didn't know there was a big twist about half way through that movie.

Seven: Whats in the box?

Pulp Fiction: The Marcellus Wallace scene in the basement was a serious jaw dropper in it's time.

Citizen Kane: A big one in it's day

Its a Wonderful life: An old fashioned twist, but still very effective if seen for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've never seen The Road.

You should, its great.

• Advertisement

ArtyM wrote: »
    Seven: Whats in the box?

It is in my all time top 10 films but on recently rewatching Seven I hit a plot niggle:
    How did the driver of the taxi in which Kevin Spacy's character got into, when he was covered in bood on his way to the police station, not raise the alarm/call the cops?

Advertisement