Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thought this was useful.

17322540021_d15d60114d_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 doyledav

Just hit day 25 and I feel great. Never had as much energy and never feel too tired any more. Ill post up some of the sites that I have started to use and they are great. I have a few weddings coming up in the next couple of weeks and one abroad so going to be really difficult to stay clean. Ill post them up tomorrow but just thought that I would touch base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

89% of Irish males predicted to be overweight by 2030

irishtimes.com/news/health/obesity-in-ireland-worse-than-hiv-aids-in-the-1980s-1.2201783

theguardian.com/society/2015/may/05/obesity-crisis-projections-uk-2030-men-women

Misuse of statistics in the media aside, even if that figure is close it would be shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    89% of Irish males predicted to be overweight by 2030

irishtimes.com/news/health/obesity-in-ireland-worse-than-hiv-aids-in-the-1980s-1.2201783

theguardian.com/society/2015/may/05/obesity-crisis-projections-uk-2030-men-women

Misuse of statistics in the media aside, even if that figure is close it would be shocking.

Why do you think the media mis-used the statistics? Are you referring to the prediction or the actual current data? AFAIK, the numbers in Ireland should be more accurate for those as they have been based on routine and trial actual data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Why do you think the media mis-used the statistics? Are you referring to the prediction or the actual current data? AFAIK, the numbers in Ireland should be more accurate for those as they have been based on routine and trial actual data.

" João Breda, from the WHO’s regional office in Copenhagen, said: “Although this was a forecasting exercise, and therefore data needs to be taken with extreme caution, it conveys two strong messages – first that the availability and quality of the data in countries needs to be improved and second that these predictions show more needs to be done in terms of preventing and tackling obesity.” "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

" João Breda, from the WHO’s regional office in Copenhagen, said: “Although this was a forecasting exercise, and therefore data needs to be taken with extreme caution, it conveys two strong messages – first that the availability and quality of the data in countries needs to be improved and second that these predictions show more needs to be done in terms of preventing and tackling obesity.” "

I heard Dr O'Shea on radio this morning, Ireland and UK were only countries with decent data.

Depressing stuff. Obesity is tip of iceberg, the real epidemic is diabetes and it's only starting.

Did you notice the size of coke bottles kids have with their lunch meal deals. Cheap nasty toxic foods, high sugar and poor quality fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Ok - leaving the opinion that they did or not mis-use statistics, I guess there's no need to see specific, to two decimal place numbers, to see there is a problem. I characterised the business opportunity for a diagnostics company a couple of years ago to consider the more attractive opportunity for a product we were launching and obesity was far more attractive, almost 25% of the population are obese versus 8-10% in diabetes. Both were attractive markets for the product but which should we go for first!?

Ran my first 10K ever today in 1.06. Im a month into my LCHF diet and I have never felt better. Ised these sites to help me out:
    evreydaypaleo.com
    paleoleap.com
    thepaleoway.com

Im not saying that Paleo is the way to go but these sites have huge resources of information and recipes that make it a little easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

doyledav wrote: »
    Ran my first 10K ever today in 1.06. Im a month into my LCHF diet and I have never felt better. Ised these sites to help me out:
    evreydaypaleo.com
    paleoleap.com
    thepaleoway.com

Im not saying that Paleo is the way to go but these sites have huge resources of information and recipes that make it a little easier

Why would you go LCHF/Paleo, it makes no logical sense. it has some good aspects but not many :rolleyes:

It makes logical sense to me! Ive researched it and it is definitely something that is recommended with a lot of benefits that will improve health and performance.

• Advertisement

It makes logical sense to me! Ive researched it and it is definitely something that is recommended with a lot of benefits that will improve health and performance.

Where have you got your information from? Peer reviewed studies I would imagine. Like there are some great aspects to the paleo diet, but cutting out carbs and eating meat is not one of them, those two make no sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Why do you think meat is bad?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Why do you think meat is bad?

Meat consumption is linked with nearly every major disease in western society, but don't take my word for it, Dr. Michael Gregor does some great work on nutritionfactsDOTorg , there's loads of videos on the site, all based on peer reviewed studies. Also there is some great stuff from Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr T. Colin Cambell and Dr John McDougall again all based on peer reviewed studies.

Also if you look at the most lean and healthy populations in the world they all eat a diet build on a staple carbohydrate, fruits and vegatables with little to no meat consumption. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Also if you look at the most lean and healthy populations in the world they all eat a diet build on a staple carbohydrate, fruits and vegatables with little to no meat consumption. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Was that really what Weston Price found?

Show me a interventionist clinical trial which shows unprocessed meat is unhealthy, having controlled for smoking, cocaine use, excessive alcohol use etc; it's been my subjective experience your more likely to find known unhealthy lifestyle choice among red meat eaters than your typical tree hugging vegan :-)

My opinions are not peer related. Paleo does not advocate lots of meat, it just advises lean meats. It does not advocate no carbs it looks at getting your carbohydrate intake from high quality sources such as sweet potato. As I said I'm not all for Paleo but has really good aspects to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

We're in ideological deadlock so.

LCHF does not say no carb either, it just says low carb, it's a huge difference. No or extremely low carb is for diabetics.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Was that really what Weston Price found?

Show me a interventionist clinical trial which shows unprocessed meat is unhealthy, having controlled for smoking, cocaine use, excessive alcohol use etc; it's been my subjective experience your more likely to find known unhealthy lifestyle choice among red meat eaters than your typical tree hugging vegan :-)

These video's reference all the studies your looking for :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6j75BDq6DQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrl4X5eplg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXF4qgrg5Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWW92sgse6s

• Advertisement

LCHF does not say no carb either, it just says low carb, it's a huge difference. No or extremely low carb is for diabetics.

Well you'd be doing them damage if you put them on a LCHF diet:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-insulin-resistance/

Put up the studies

That will take me a while

That will take me a while

I presume you've read them yourself? If you feel compelled to come on to a thread deling with lchf explaining why we are all killing ourselves?

Just to confirm you do know the how a interventionist clinical trial over a long period differs from a epidemiological study?

Unless they are the former don't bother posting them

I presume you've read them yourself? If you feel compelled to come on to a thread deling with lchf explaining why we are all killing ourselves?

Just to confirm you do know the how a interventionist clinical trial over a long period differs from a epidemiological study?

Unless they are the former don't bother posting them

Well if studies aren't good enough for you keep believing what you want...................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Just hit day 25 and I feel great. Never had as much energy and never feel too tired any more. Ill post up some of the sites that I have started to use and they are great. I have a few weddings coming up in the next couple of weeks and one abroad so going to be really difficult to stay clean. Ill post them up tomorrow but just thought that I would touch base.

Could you give some more insight on a training/non-training day in terms of your diet?

Well if studies aren't good enough for you keep believing what you want...................

There are studies and "studies". The "studies" that have so far said that meat is dangerous have all been debunked.

There are studies and "studies". The "studies" that have so far said that meat is dangerous have all been debunked.

I presume your talking about the china study, which hasn't been debunked.

I'm not talking about believes; I'm asking for you to post interventionist clinical trials which prove what you are stating.

You haven't confirmed if you've read the studies in the youtube links you've referenced?

You haven't answered the question if you know the difference between the two study types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I presume your talking about the china study, which hasn't been debunked.

I have no interest in getting into a debate about the China Study, or about whether diet X is "wrong" while diet Y is "right". I eat what I eat because I find it works well for me, if someone believes I'm misguided/stupid/suicidal in doing so that's fine. There is plenty of room in the world for different opinions.

However, it is one thing to have a different opinion, it's another thing entirely to actively challenge people to defend or justify their dietary choice. If you are going to do the latter then you should really ensure that you have a good solid basis for your arguments. When it comes to the China Study, I'd suggest that you are on extremely shaky ground if you are using that to support your point of view - it is at best inconclusive:

From: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/
    This is a cautionary tale. It shows how complex issues can be over-simplified into meaninglessness, how epidemiologic data can be misinterpreted and mislead us, and how a researcher can approach a problem with preconceptions that allow him to see only what he wants to see. The China Study was embraced by vegetarians because it seemed to support their beliefs with strong evidence. Minger has shown that that evidence is largely illusory. The issues raised are important and deserve further study by unbiased scientists. At any rate, one thing is clear: the China Study is not sufficient reason to recommend drastic reductions in protein intake, let alone total avoidance of meat and dairy foods.

Advertisement