Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I found it a pain in the neck to choose meals at first. It was a real hassle, I'd use myFitnessPal to check the nutrient content of various options before deciding on a meal. Because the myFitnessPal database can be very inaccurate for some foods listed, I'd double-check every food that I referenced, which added hugely to the amount of time it took to make a decision on what to eat. My wife's significant patience was sorely tested at times as she mostly is the one who cooks dinner and she'd be waiting on me to say what I'd be willing to have.

Once I settled on a regular breakfast, and a consistent lunch recipe too, things got a lot easier. I was using the same set of foods in myFitnessPal by then too so I was confident that the nutrient figures for them were right as I'd corrected ones that weren't. So I could now sort out those meals at will and only checked later on myFitnessPal to confirm that the figures were in line with what I expected.

Dinners have gotten a lot easier too as I've settled on consistent figures for amount of pasta, spud, protein, etc., so I don't need to check before the meal every time any longer, I already know roughly what I'll have of each ingredient. It helps that I'm happy to eat the same foods day in day out, of course, I always have been but it's something that still baffles my wife a bit :)

One thing I'd suggest with myFitnessPal is to not bother with defining Recipes. I did at first, but it turns out to be a lot of hassle 'cos if you change the content of the actual meal a little by adding different ingredients or different weights then adding a portion of the original recipe to your diary is no longer accurate. Instead I now define Meals because when you define a Meal and later add it to your diary it adds each ingredient individually and you can then tweak the amount of each of those quickly and easily.

My diet would certainly benefit from further tweaking, and perhaps a lot of it. It was never a terrible diet even when I ate a lot more carbs as I've never been a big fan of processed foods and the like. However even now I eat a lot of commercial mayonnaise, as one example, and it's something I plan to address - I've had a couple of failed attempts to make my own mayonnaise (it's amazing how an extra pinch of mustard can turn something palatable into something utterly inedible!) but I must try again. I'm also trying to wean myself onto avocado but I still struggle with both the taste and texture. For Greek style yoghurt I use the stuff that Lidl sell in big tubs but there are probably better options there too. Etc.

I'm still trying to figure out the relationship between my digestive system and various nutrients, to an extent. A consistent pattern seems to be that when I increase my carb intake (like on racing days) my weight increases too. Some/most of that is certainly increased water retention, if I lower my carb intake the next day I pee a lot more frequently. It still surprises me that this pattern happens quickly and consistently each time.

In general my current diet makes me feel better in a variety of ways. I don't crave food as badly, although I still find myself snacking at times - interestingly, my tendency to snack increases if I snack on foods with more carbs, such as my easter egg (70% cocoa solids plus some less appealing ingredients than my usual 85% chocolate). My energy levels are far better regulated throughout the day too, and that's a big benefit for me. One significant benefit to me though is that I spend less time on the toilet. Probably more info than anyone needs to know, that, but this aspect of my diet is arguably the single biggest benefit for me. The more carbs I eat the more I need the loo, to the extent that I had symptoms of IBS on my previous diet. Those symptoms have largely gone away since I settled into my current diet. Whether the reason for that is less carbs, less of some particular ingredient (wrongly or rightly wheat gets blamed a lot for all sorts of things, including IBS), better mental health from a healthier diet generally, etc., I can't honestly say but whatever the cause the benefit is very real.

I'm curious to know how I'd fare on even less carbs. I'm not sure that I could manage to get by on as little as 20g carbs per day, that seems infeasible to me right now especially when I take training/racing days into account, but I'm definitely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

doozerie wrote: »
    I found it a pain in the neck to choose meals at first. It was a real hassle, I'd use myFitnessPal to check the nutrient content of various options before deciding on a meal. Because the myFitnessPal database can be very inaccurate for some foods listed, I'd double-check every food that I referenced, which added hugely to the amount of time it took to make a decision on what to eat. My wife's significant patience was sorely tested at times as she mostly is the one who cooks dinner and she'd be waiting on me to say what I'd be willing to have.

Once I settled on a regular breakfast, and a consistent lunch recipe too, things got a lot easier. I was using the same set of foods in myFitnessPal by then too so I was confident that the nutrient figures for them were right as I'd corrected ones that weren't. So I could now sort out those meals at will and only checked later on myFitnessPal to confirm that the figures were in line with what I expected.

Dinners have gotten a lot easier too as I've settled on consistent figures for amount of pasta, spud, protein, etc., so I don't need to check before the meal every time any longer, I already know roughly what I'll have of each ingredient. It helps that I'm happy to eat the same foods day in day out, of course, I always have been but it's something that still baffles my wife a bit :)

One thing I'd suggest with myFitnessPal is to not bother with defining Recipes. I did at first, but it turns out to be a lot of hassle 'cos if you change the content of the actual meal a little by adding different ingredients or different weights then adding a portion of the original recipe to your diary is no longer accurate. Instead I now define Meals because when you define a Meal and later add it to your diary it adds each ingredient individually and you can then tweak the amount of each of those quickly and easily.

My diet would certainly benefit from further tweaking, and perhaps a lot of it. It was never a terrible diet even when I ate a lot more carbs as I've never been a big fan of processed foods and the like. However even now I eat a lot of commercial mayonnaise, as one example, and it's something I plan to address - I've had a couple of failed attempts to make my own mayonnaise (it's amazing how an extra pinch of mustard can turn something palatable into something utterly inedible!) but I must try again. I'm also trying to wean myself onto avocado but I still struggle with both the taste and texture. For Greek style yoghurt I use the stuff that Lidl sell in big tubs but there are probably better options there too. Etc.

I'm still trying to figure out the relationship between my digestive system and various nutrients, to an extent. A consistent pattern seems to be that when I increase my carb intake (like on racing days) my weight increases too. Some/most of that is certainly increased water retention, if I lower my carb intake the next day I pee a lot more frequently. It still surprises me that this pattern happens quickly and consistently each time.

In general my current diet makes me feel better in a variety of ways. I don't crave food as badly, although I still find myself snacking at times - interestingly, my tendency to snack increases if I snack on foods with more carbs, such as my easter egg (70% cocoa solids plus some less appealing ingredients than my usual 85% chocolate). My energy levels are far better regulated throughout the day too, and that's a big benefit for me. One significant benefit to me though is that I spend less time on the toilet. Probably more info than anyone needs to know, that, but this aspect of my diet is arguably the single biggest benefit for me. The more carbs I eat the more I need the loo, to the extent that I had symptoms of IBS on my previous diet. Those symptoms have largely gone away since I settled into my current diet. Whether the reason for that is less carbs, less of some particular ingredient (wrongly or rightly wheat gets blamed a lot for all sorts of things, including IBS), better mental health from a healthier diet generally, etc., I can't honestly say but whatever the cause the benefit is very real.

I'm curious to know how I'd fare on even less carbs. I'm not sure that I could manage to get by on as little as 20g carbs per day, that seems infeasible to me right now especially when I take training/racing days into account, but I'm definitely curious.

Probably have to agree on every point you've made there. Think my bowels work a bit differently though as the more carbs (especially if processed) the more blocked up I get.

I use the Aldi Greek yoghurt simply because it's so cheap but as you said I imagine there's better stuff like Glenisk but I don't see them selling natural Greek yoghurt, just plain yoghurt. I usually have to ad a spoon of something sweet into it though. The Glenisk Blueberry Greek yogurt is gorgeous but way too sweet.

Same here in terms of commercial sauces. I don't eat too many but usually when I have a salad I love to add some of the Pesto Rosso pest from Aldi or Hell and 1000 Islamd Dressing. Too much hassle making homemade ones.

One question. Do you think there is an upper limit to the amount of nuts one should eat in a day. I've often eaten 150g worth of them just to avoid carbs but I think this could be too much?

PS: how do you find Kinetica brand? I've been using Pulsin but it's very expensive and from reading Kinetica also comes from hormone free grass fed cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Probably have to agree on every point you've made there. Think my bowels work a bit differently though as the more carbs (especially if processed) the more blocked up I get.

I use the Aldi Greek yoghurt simply because it's so cheap but as you said I imagine there's better stuff like Glenisk but I don't see them selling natural Greek yoghurt, just plain yoghurt. I usually have to ad a spoon of something sweet into it though. The Glenisk Blueberry Greek yogurt is gorgeous but way too sweet.

Same here in terms of commercial sauces. I don't eat too many but usually when I have a salad I love to add some of the Pesto Rosso pest from Aldi or Hell and 1000 Islamd Dressing. Too much hassle making homemade ones.

One question. Do you think there is an upper limit to the amount of nuts one should eat in a day. I've often eaten 150g worth of them just to avoid carbs but I think this could be too much?

PS: how do you find Kinetica brand? I've been using Pulsin but it's very expensive and from reading Kinetica also comes from hormone free grass fed cattle.

Glenisk do a natural greek yoghurt, really nice.

On nuts, Danny Lennon of sigma nutrition has a good post on it. With any unsaturated fat intake the balance between omega 6 and 3, seems to be important. Nuts generally are omega 6 rich.

Don't go mental on omega 3 either; Jeff Volek sums it up as treat polyunsaturated fats like vitamins and choose monounsaturated and saturated for fuel.

Saturated fats are saturated as ALL the carbon have bonds formed with hydrogen, monounsaturated have one free carbon and polys two or more. As such they are less stable and more prone to oxidation. Interesting long term study in a veterans hospital in States where patients over 6/7 years ate the exact same thing except one diet was polyunsaturated fat hwavy the other animals fats. The results make compelling reading. Chris Masterjohn among others have blogged about it.

Also given your work load consider adding as much nutrient dense foods that you can. Think lambs liver, roasted bones, bone broth, eggs any organ meat. All those things are really cheap, some free. Stay away from Drisheen however; the only food I've ever rejected!

lambs liver this morning for brekkie so that covers that base.

as for bones: fee-fi-fo-fum, i smell the blood of an englishman, be he live, or be he dead. i'll grind his bones to make my bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

doozerie wrote: »
    So far I've yet to feel during a race that I've been held back due to lack of carbs, it's just lack of legs, but I obviously can't say for sure.
    You should try a carb load the night before a race. I never got carb loading to work before but doing LCHF I can get it to work now. Timed right, carbs can by quite potent. I like a hot Indian curry (of all things!) at about 8 or 9 o'clock on a friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

First day of LCHF under the belt. So far, so good.

@petethedrummer, Thanks, carb loading is something I must explore. I'm still at the stage of being wary with deliberately increasing my carb intake, even though my carb figures spike dramatically on training/race days. I've got to muck about more and see what happens. Not sure about a hot Indian curry though, the toilets at race venues struggle enough as it is :)

@pprendeville, Yes, my understanding is the Kinetica does come from grass fed cattle. I'm happy enough with it, the taste is fine (I'm using Chocolate flavour at the moment, Chocolate Mint I found to be too strong a flavour), the smell is fine, the price is reasonable (54euro for 2.2kg in a local store), and the ingredients list isn't bad - I wish they wouldn't add sweetener though, it leaves a bit of an aftertaste which I don't like. I recently finished a packet of Pulsin powder which had no flavourings, sweeteners, or colourings added and I liked the neutral taste of it, but the cost of it put me off buying more.

@ford2600, I have to agree re Drisheen. I was fed it as a kid, I'm not sure when I started to reject it but it might have been at an early enough age. The taste is ick, but the texture is even worse. Myself and my siblings would watch in horror as our father devoured the stuff, something else to add to the "Need therapy for this" list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Bump

Does anyone have the low down on 'high' chloesterol following this style of eating?

Not doing the butter/cream thing, but plenty of coconut oil/milk and fattier cuts of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

i_surge wrote: »
    Does anyone have the low down on 'high' chloesterol following this style of eating?
    Prepare to do some reading
    http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

the 20G of carb a day insnt to be followed strictly its only for the 1st 2 weeks of low carbing after you change your diet over. Ive used low carb on & off for years now to loose weight and find that after 2 - 3 weeks of 20g or less the body just stops burning fat off. When I started cycling I went low carb for weeks and was only doing short spins. Low carb snacking on my 1st long spin was a disaster.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    the 20G of carb a day insnt to be followed strictly its only for the 1st 2 weeks of low carbing after you change your diet over. Ive used low carb on & off for years now to loose weight and find that after 2 - 3 weeks of 20g or less the body just stops burning fat off. When I started cycling I went low carb for weeks and was only doing short spins. Low carb snacking on my 1st long spin was a disaster.

I think most of the people discussing LCHF on here are not doing it to lose weight. I'm certainly not. I'm not trying to burn "off" fat, I'm relying on fat as my main source of fuel all the time, two very different things depending on your perspective.

20g or less of carbs a day is the norm for many people who adopt LCHF as a lifestyle. As for fuel for while on the bike, once you are efficiently burning fat as your main source of fuel you can comfortably do very long spins without eating anything on the bike at all, carbs or otherwise.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Glenisk do a natural greek yoghurt, really nice.

On nuts, Danny Lennon of sigma nutrition has a good post on it. With any unsaturated fat intake the balance between omega 6 and 3, seems to be important. Nuts generally are omega 6 rich.

Don't go mental on omega 3 either; Jeff Volek sums it up as treat polyunsaturated fats like vitamins and choose monounsaturated and saturated for fuel.

Saturated fats are saturated as ALL the carbon have bonds formed with hydrogen, monounsaturated have one free carbon and polys two or more. As such they are less stable and more prone to oxidation. Interesting long term study in a veterans hospital in States where patients over 6/7 years ate the exact same thing except one diet was polyunsaturated fat hwavy the other animals fats. The results make compelling reading. Chris Masterjohn among others have blogged about it.

Also given your work load consider adding as much nutrient dense foods that you can. Think lambs liver, roasted bones, bone broth, eggs any organ meat. All those things are really cheap, some free. Stay away from Drisheen however; the only food I've ever rejected!

Listened to Danny Lennons vlog there and it hit the nail on the head. I was definitely oversnacking on nuts and especially when combined with fruit trail mix, hard to stop. Will have to cut back.

Listened to Danny Lennons vlog there and it hit the nail on the head. I was definitely oversnacking on nuts and especially when combined with fruit trail mix, hard to stop. Will have to cut back.

Give him a call/email, really good guy to talk to on anything nutrition related.

@neris 20g carbs a day for who, trying to achieve what? A 50kg sedentary lady or a 110kg power lifter, endurance athlete? Trying to enter ketosis or just reduce carbs and in particular grains and sugar?

On days in the last 12 months when I've eaten most carbs have been days when they made up a tiny percentage of my total calories, because I was doing some very long event; so context is everything when giving amounts. Percentages of daily calories are probably more useful: did you hear that @doozerie... I gave up with multiplying by 4 & 9 and converting to ratios before I got to your lunch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Sorry if these questions has been answered already but, on a LCHF diet how long does it take to get used to the diet in terms of feeling low in energy and also how long before the body starts using fat as fuel?

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Sorry if these questions has been answered already but, on a LCHF diet how long does it take to get used to the diet in terms of feeling low in energy and also how long before the body starts using fat as fuel?

http://eatingacademy.com/

I'd start here and then go here

http://anthonycolpo.com/ for a different view of things...

Then try it yourself, everything else is just a guess. It doesn't suit some, so if after 2-3 weeks you are listless I'd be changing up. Some people adapt very quickly other not so.

If your eating mainly wholefoods make sure to add adequate salt to diet, some nice rock/sea salts out there in most supermarkets. You will feel like sh1te if you don't get a few grammes of salt everyday. Also if removing grains be sure to add stupid amounts of veg to diet(and some fruit, even plenty at start to transition gradually) as fibre is your friend :)

optimumnutrition4sport is another great resource along with sigmamurition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Charlie69

http://eatingacademy.com/

I'd start here and then go here

http://anthonycolpo.com/ for a different view of things...

Then try it yourself, everything else is just a guess. It doesn't suit some, so if after 2-3 weeks you are listless I'd be changing up. Some people adapt very quickly other not so.

If your eating mainly wholefoods make sure to add adequate salt to diet, some nice rock/sea salts out there in most supermarkets. You will feel like sh1te if you don't get a few grammes of salt everyday. Also if removing grains be sure to add stupid amounts of veg to diet(and some fruit, even plenty at start to transition gradually) as fibre is your friend :)

optimumnutrition4sport is another great resource along with sigmamurition.
    Thanks very much, appreciate the advice

Percentages of daily calories are probably more useful: did you hear that @doozerie... I gave up with multiplying by 4 & 9 and converting to ratios before I got to your lunch...

I spent a while, a few months I think, early on basing my intake on percentages, myFitnessPal gives the option of setting daily targets by percentage although it's not very convenient as the software prefers to apply its own pre-defined percentages. My target was to keep carbs under 10% of the overall. I found it very convenient, if carbs crept above 10% I'd eat some cheese or brazil nuts or similar and get the carbs figure "down" again. But at some point I realised that some days my carb intake in grams was very high, and I hadn't been paying much attention to my protein intake either, I was so fixated on carbs, so protein intake in grams was very high as well.

I decided to take a different approach by focusing on gram figures. I chose my target protein figures based on 1.5g per kilo of body weight, so roughly 30g per meal. I focused on that for a while, leaving the carbs to their own devices to a certain extent, and eventually I started to figure out what kind of figures for carbs was working for me. I reckon I'll be refining that for a long time to come but for now "about 80g and up to 100g" is where I'm at. I keep a close eye on my carbs, a much more casual eye on my protein, and I rarely actually look at at my fats figure. If I'm going to all that trouble I should monitor my fibre too, but I don't, must look into that.

In actual fact, when I occasionally glance at my percentage split for a day, it tends to work out that carbs are between 8% and 10% of my overall. So the same end result as my earlier efforts but I get there via a different route, a route that I find easier to work with, which seems a bit odd when I think about it. I'm a bit addicted to my numbers, I think.

It probably doesn't matter in the slightest at this stage whether I keep track by percentage or grams, I guess, my daily diet is so familiar/structured at this stage that it just works out within my preferred range for each nutrient. Mind you, if I didn't keep track of it at all it could go off the rails a bit, I've still got a lot of learning to do before I can just eat by "feel", if you know what I mean. Would make my life a bit easier if I got to that though.

Looking for some simple tasty recipes for avocado. Anyone got a favourite. Found a few nice ones on Pinterest but worth asking here also.

On a side note I found some interesting ways to cook cauliflower here which I'm going to try over the weekend.

Also, I did a little butter test today to figure out my favourite one. Tried the following brands: Kerrygold, Unsalted Connacht Gold, Kilkeely Irish Creamery (Aldi brand), Salted Jersey butter and M & S Scottish salted butter. Found that the Kerrygold and Aldi stuff was very salty in comparison with the Jersey and Scottish stuff while the unsalted butter was very bland. My fav was the Scottish stuff and it was cheap enough at around €1.60 I think. Not too salty and lovely aftertaste. Highly recommended. Also picked up some soy covered seeds in there that are a nice alternative to almonds. Again, they don't break the bank at €2.49ish for 200g. Well worth a try for anyone looking for something alternative. I'm actually going to coat a dose of sunflower seeds in soy/water mix and roast them and see how they turn out.

I use Tesco's own-brand salted butter. It has the same producer code on it as Dairygold's (or perhaps it's Avonmore's, I've forgotten) salted butter which, I think, means it's actually the very same product but significantly cheaper. Mind you, I'm not a great fan of Tesco, or large supermarkets generally and their domination of various markets to the detriment of farmers and smaller retailers, etc., but my wallet rules my heart in this case.

For unsalted butter I use Avonmore, or Lidl's one is good too (and cheaper). I occasionally find myself licking leftover bits of unsalted butter off the knife (when my daughter isn't looking - do as I say, not as I do, etc.), I recall being horrified as a kid when seeing my parents wipe butter off a knife with their fingers and eat it, if you'd told me then that I'd be doing anything just like my parents when older I'd probably have swallowed the knife ...having first rinsed off all traces of butter on it of course. Life is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 doyledav

Hi All, I'm just starting my LCHF diet and I'm on day 4. I really have no energy at all. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any help greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Every body is different and it depends on your previous diet. What you probably feeling is the slump because of the sugar cut, it should go away in about a week or so.

Many thanks for that. Do you have any websites or food blogs that you use to get information and ideas from? I'm really keen on losing weight and improving my performance so all help greatly appreciated.

I'm not going to offer any advice as I'm still just learning myself. What I found useful for me though was to closely monitor what I was eating do that I knew what proportions of carbs, fat, and protein I was consuming. I used www.myfitnesspal.com for that, they have an app available for iOS and Android too. I'm not sure it's the best choice, but it worked well for me and I still use it.

It's not an approach that will suit everyone but I found it helped me to learn the impacts of different changes. At the end of each day I could review my intake and associate the effects with that. I'm still learning, I'll be learning for a long time to come, but this approach helped speed my learning along a bit in the early stages.

Great thanks for that. I downloaded that yesterday and I'm glued to it. I find myself obsessing a bit though that Im watching everything I eat as it will make the calorie counter go mad if I dont. The cravings for sugar are desperate at the moment. I started a new training regime in a Crossfit style gym so that added to the LCHF diet has me zonked. Glad I have this page though as I know that Im not alone.

How long are people into their LCHF journey?

doyledav wrote: »
    Many thanks for that. Do you have any websites or food blogs that you use to get information and ideas from? I'm really keen on losing weight and improving my performance so all help greatly appreciated.

Authority nutrition has some good ideas plus IBreatheImHungry. I've been dabbling with it but I'm nearly ready to take the plunge after seeing the results of upthe19th who started his 2 weeks ago. Incredible how he looks in 2 weeks.

18 days into LCHF and still alive. Intermittent cravings but they are brief.

Enjoying it tbh, its a change but a good one.

Thats an understatement to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

upthe19th wrote: »
    18 days into LCHF and still alive. Intermittent cravings but they are brief.

Enjoying it tbh, its a change but a good one.

Was LCHF for awhile but then fell off the wagon and started eating sugar again.

I'm currently zero carb (meat, butter, cheese, eggs and cream)

I find dietdoctor.com to be a good resource.

I'm on an 84 day plan. Sub 50g per day since the start. There was buffer but I did not use it.

No problems so far with discipline and I don't envisage any. Fat really agrees with me and i have an extremely high tolerance for routine. Results have been very promising so far and hopefully it continues.

• Advertisement

ya it's excellent alright. read it a few days ago and it covers everything really well.

Advertisement