Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

The prices in the Great Wood in Blanch are about a euro dearer per drink than Blackrock.

It's not as busy as it was initially whenever I pass by there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The prices in the Great Wood in Blanch are about a euro dearer per drink than Blackrock.

It's not as busy as it was initially whenever I pass by there.

2.50 for cask ale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I was in the Bleeding Horse on Camden St at the weekend and paid 6 Euro for a Kopparberg.

I hope the new Wetherspoons on Camden St can give the Bleeding Horse a run for their money in terms of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

oblivious wrote: »
    2.50 for cask ale

That's about all. Had a Six Point can with my dinner over the weekend, was going to have another but they're 3.50 now. The last time I bought them there they were on special offer, 1.50, down from 2.45.

A lot of places are doing food plus a beer or a glass of wine for less. E.g. Salmon Leap in Leixlip is doing a 10oz sirloin steak plus a beer or wine for two people for €29.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Rumour had it was that they didn't want people to realise that some of their branches were cheaper than others.

Prices are not uniform in the UK either, but from what I can tell it's down to rent. Central London locations are comparatively speaking more expensive, and more expensive than Dublin too, but it doesn't make sense that here Blanch is more expensive than Blackrock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I realise they don't want people to compare prices across branches. But I always find it frustrating when menus don't have prices on them. Like i know its cheap and everything but I just want to see the prices !

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

BeerNut wrote: »
    Are they getting the hang of cask in the Linen Weaver? I was only in it once and they had lots of tap badges on display but only one actual handpump pouring, and not a good beer either.

been in a few times sometimes driving so no supping. always checked how many casks usually minimum of 4 possible 7-8. what ie had seemed to be in good nick to be fair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

been in a few times sometimes driving so no supping. always checked how many casks
    How many casks what, though? A badge on the handpump doesn't mean that that beer is available. The only way to know is to order. It's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

been in twice on nights/ day out. first time was during the ale festival they ahd 8 at least between us we had them all except for a cask cider aged in whiskey barrels, next time had 5 on cant remember which but specklled hen and hobgoblin i think

The drawings for "The Camden Hall" are now online on the Council's planning site (ref 2045/16). Looks like they're heavily sub-dividing the bar space into separate rooms, and keeping lots of original features. Though most of the place will be new-build:
    camdenhall_zpsfa8uwhsq.jpg

• Advertisement

oooh no spoons carpet. Looks they are opting more for the The Great woods modern look

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I take it the Abbey Street bar hasn't had any sort of movement on it?

oooh no spoons carpet. Looks they are opting more for the The Great woods modern look
    I would say the front bits in the restored terrace will be carpeted and much more old-fashioned and pubby.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    No planning application that I can find. It'll be a harder sell, I reckon. What I didn't know about The Camden Hall is that almost identical plans were granted permission in 2014 and then never happened so I'd say a lot of the objectors' thunder has already been stolen. With Abbey Street they'll be starting from scratch.

Walked by it on Wednesday, no activity just the sold sign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I was in the Bleeding Horse on Camden St at the weekend and paid 6 Euro for a Kopparberg.

I hope the new Wetherspoons on Camden St can give the Bleeding Horse a run for their money in terms of prices.
    I'll be delighted to see that kip get less business. It's a real hole that people go to when they have no other ideas. The whole front is whored out to drink sponsors and even tv screens for adverts in the windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Thankfully something's going in on Camden Street. That side of the street is dilapitated. And what better than a tavern selling cheap but quality beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

The drawings for "The Camden Hall" are now online on the Council's planning site (ref 2045/16). Looks like they're heavily sub-dividing the bar space into separate rooms, and keeping lots of original features. Though most of the place will be new-build:
    camdenhall_zpsfa8uwhsq.jpg
    Hopefully wont be as bright as the one in Dun Laoghaire, all them spotlights. It's like hospital lighting, makes you twitch

UK pubs are just brighter. Much as I like drinking in Alfie Byrne's and 57 The Headline, you can't see your hand in front of your face in them. Let alone take a decent photo of your pint :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

UK pubs are just brighter. Much as I like drinking in Alfie Byrne's and 57 The Headline, you can't see your hand in front of your face in them. Let alone take a decent photo of your pint :o

Maybe for the first ten minutes but your eyes do adjust...I find the hardest part is walking back out into the sunlight. Better off to stay in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Leaving a pub when it's still bright is one of life's little nasties.

• Advertisement

I love leaving the pub when other people are leaving work. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

oooh no spoons carpet.

Easier for mopping up student blood.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having to use a torch for the food or bottle menus is a regular occurrence in the Brew Dock.

Need to keep the lights down so all you crusty, bearded hipsters don't scare us normal folk!

:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Need to keep the lights down so all you crusty, bearded hipsters don't scare us normal folk!

:pac:

Seeing as I've no beard, I presume I'm meant to be one of the ones being protected :p

Was in Against the Grain on Saturday for a birthday and when they turned up the lights after last orders it got about as bright as my local is during the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hopefully wont be as bright as the one in Dun Laoghaire, all them spotlights. It's like hospital lighting, makes you twitch

THat phot looks more like a Lloyds than Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just like the smoking ban revealed how terrible most pubs smell without the smoke (stale beer, BO, bleach); the low lighting is protecting us from the horror of seeing the carpet, cushions and beat-down visages of the other drinkers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

planning application # 15710 gone in for development of Waterford Wetherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

dzilla wrote: »
    planning application # 15710 gone in for development of Waterford Wetherspoons

Further information requested yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

Further information requested yesterday.

I wonder what they'll call it... the salty blaa maybe

Advertisement