Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Chelon wrote: »
    Was in the Porterhouse Central at the weekend. An eye watering €6 for their cask, and it was chilled to within an inch of its' life - a flavourless rip-off.

I thought they'd more or less given up on casks beers other than TSB and Hop Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

symbolic wrote: »
    What was it?

You know I can't recall - the two I tried weren't well known ones and there was no point in remembering them :rolleyes:

They also had Hop Head which I didn't try (not a fan of overly hoppy beers) but point I'm trying to make is you're paying big money for poorly kept stuff. At least JDW in general know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

They also had Hop Head which I didn't try (not a fan of overly hoppy beers) but point I'm trying to make is you're paying big money for poorly kept stuff. At least JDW in general know what they're doing.

Ha, it's funny actually, when I see your user name I already know the point your going to make. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Ha, it's funny actually, when I see your user name I already know the point your going to make. ☺

Not with you, but curious now, do tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lucena wrote: »
    Any pub which has the 'Cask Marque' (which I think most or all Spoons do) label MUST provide free samples for anyone who asks, that's one of the obligations.

In fairness though, any decent bar, or least any bar with a decent selection of beers, will do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Not with you, but curious now, do tell....

Just that Dublin pubs charge too much for poorly kept cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Just that Dublin pubs charge too much for poorly kept cask.

Fixed that for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Was in the 40 ft earlier in the week. I never really bought into the idea that wetherspoons are soulless but that place really is. No atmosphere at all. And by god they're serving some slop in the guise of food, i know it's cheap but this stuff was fresh out of the microwave. €2.50 pint was Bitburger which is awful swill but good value let's be honest. Staff were kids and utterly clueless about their products or how to work a bar, communication between floor and kitchen was all over the place, wrong/late orders all over the shop. It's a shame because the sun was shining an the harbour and bay looked spectacular out the window. Won't be back in a hurry. I did like the €2.75 cans of Sweet Action though, yum yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was in the 40 ft earlier in the week. I never really bought into the idea that wetherspoons are soulless but that place really is. No atmosphere at all. And by god they're serving some slop in the guise of food, i know it's cheap but this stuff was fresh out of the microwave. €2.50 pint was Bitburger which is awful swill but good value let's be honest. Staff were kids and utterly clueless about their products or how to work a bar, communication between floor and kitchen was all over the place, wrong/late orders all over the shop. It's a shame because the sun was shining an the harbour and bay looked spectacular out the window. Won't be back in a hurry. I did like the €2.75 cans of Sweet Action though, yum yum!

40ft would be the closer spoons to me but I'll only drink in the Tavern

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

40ft would be the closer spoons to me but I'll only drink in the Tavern

Yeah i enjoyed the tavern far more for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

Anybody hear anything about the Waterford development? Everything is gone quiet and the buildings are just boarded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

dzilla wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything about the Waterford development? Everything is gone quiet and the buildings are just boarded up.

Have you checked has a planning permission application been lodged?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah i enjoyed the tavern far more for some reason
    I never liked the old forty foot, have yet to be in the new one but still looks sterile like the old one, like a hotel bar or a crappy nightclub or something.

While I always liked the previous pubs in the tavern's spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Given all this, it's incredibly difficult to predict whether they'll increase again, or whether they might cut them back down a bit at some point. Wetherspoons have announced price cuts for UK pubs in the past, so at the very least it's not unheard of for their prices to decrease on occasion as well

They sure do my local spoons in the UK knocked between 10p and 50p off most drinks and food offerings as the other local pubs had started offers themselves. Got to love competition and no VFI price fixing. :)
    Not relevant to Ireland but just had to get the good news out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

menu from the sandpiper wetherspoons glasgow airport

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The one in Cork looks like it's almost ready to open.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Two and a half weeks to go, though I think they opened in Blanchardstown ahead of schedule, didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Two and a half weeks to go, though I think they opened in Blanchardstown ahead of schedule, didn't they?

No, publin.ie got their dates wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

They're not particularly cheap in Glasgow airport, with pints at 4.50. Lack of competition, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Cheaper than Stansted though.
    It's showing up as £3.55 for a can of sweet action, and i was charged £4.35 in the Stansted JDW on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airport rents can be hideous, and often calculated as a % of turnover meaning low margin businesses need to ramp pricing up.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lucena wrote: »
    They're not particularly cheap in Glasgow airport, with pints at 4.50. Lack of competition, I'd imagine.

Airport 'Spoons, particularly in London, are always a bit of a ripoff - the one in Gatwick doesn't even have the beer and burger deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Any sign of one coming to Limerick or Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

There's over a pound in the difference between the Spoons in central Birmingham and BHX airport. I wouldn't use the airport prices to get an accurate picture of pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hobgoblin is €1.50 a pint at the moment in Blanch, might be all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Also SixPoint cans at 1.50 from 29-Aug, manager's special deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/03/scotlands-minimum-alcohol-price-plan-dealt-huge-blow.

Looks like it's curtains for the nanny state proposal here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/03/scotlands-minimum-alcohol-price-plan-dealt-huge-blow.

They could look to reinstate ban on the below cost selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I suspect if other EU countries challenged Ireland's recent habit of disproportionately lobbing a euro on a bottle of wine, it could be deemed to be against free trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    They could look to reinstate ban on the below cost selling

apparently very little of this goes on, in the UK they did investigate and only 3 or 4 obsucre brands were below cost. I have never seen evidence of it here in Ireland, only publicans trying to make fools out of the public. I am pretty sure some own brand spirits are below cost, but not the mainstream beers like the publicans would want you to think.

I hope it's revealed how much that Deputy Varadkar has squandered in admin so far -knowing full well about the likely embarrassing mistake the scots had already made.

Once bitten, twice shy as foolish

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I suspect if other EU countries challenged Ireland's recent habit of disproportionately lobbing a euro on a bottle of wine, it could be deemed to be against free trade.
    That's just excise duty, I doubt there is anything to argue against. The min pricing was quite a different thing.

Advertisement