Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

BeerNut wrote: »
    It really hasn't been doing much of a job on that front so far.

As a seasoned connoisseur yourself of fine ales and beers do you think Wetherspoons still lack a lot of quality in terms of the alcohol on offer? Personally I think to have at least a pub embracing variety and at a low cost can only be a positive thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Does anybody know why the upstairs terrace is still closed in the forty foot?

Yeah, still closed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

do you think Wetherspoons still lack a lot of quality in terms of the alcohol on offer?
    No. I'm never stuck for something to drink. But "superior quality to anything available here at the moment"? Definitely not.

I'll happily drink Sweet Action, Devils Backbone and Adnams Dry-Hopped Lager, but if I want a choice of more than three really good beers, and possibly some stuff I've never had before, and certainly if I want to drink interesting cask ale, I'll go somewhere other than Dublin's JD Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

No. I'm never stuck for something to drink. But "superior quality to anything available here at the moment"? Definitely not.

I'll happily drink Sweet Action, Devils Backbone and Adnams Dry-Hopped Lager, but if I want a choice of more than three really good beers, and possibly some stuff I've never had before, and certainly if I want to drink interesting cask ale, I'll go somewhere other than Dublin's JD Wetherspoons.

I was talking about a future where JDW get their act together here and match the standard of ale available in their UK pubs.

Question - where should I go in Dublin to get a consistently great pint of cask and what should I ask for? I've been to the Black Sheep/Against the Grain etc and quality varies from excellent to borderline undrinkable.

JDW in the UK = quality + consistency.

The Dungarvan beer in the Palace tends to be pretty reliable. Also never had a bad pint of cask beer in JW Sweetman, when it's on. The Bull & Castle and Porterhouse Temple Bar's beers tend to be pretty well-kept too, in my experience.

• Advertisement

The Dungarvan beer in the Palace tends to be pretty reliable. Also never had a bad pint of cask beer in JW Sweetman, when it's on. The Bull & Castle and Porterhouse Temple Bar's beers tend to be pretty well-kept too, in my experience.

Ok got the Palace and Sweetmans on my list; didn't know the Palace did cask.

Have been in the Bull & C 4 times in the last year and I always ask for the cask - but their single one listed has never been available. Have had a rare pint when it's been on in the Porterhouse but so few people drink it, it is lying in those pipes for hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Chelon wrote: »
    Ok got the Palace and Sweetmans on my list; didn't know the Palace did cask.

Have been in the Bull & C 4 times in the last year and I always ask for the cask - but their single one listed has never been available. Have had a rare pint when it's been on in the Porterhouse but so few people drink it, it is lying in those pipes for hours...

Why would that matter with cask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Blame the state for the quality of door staff in the republic.

There is no national standard or qualification.
    Incorrect...

http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/agentvw?Openform&vw=psaLicensing

didn't know the Palace did cask.
    Ah now. You did really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Brewdock is also pretty good for cask,

• Advertisement

Yep getting old :p

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why would that matter with cask?

Potentially dirty pipes combined with high temperatures? Not sure, maybe some of the stuff I've been served was just past its' drink by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I was talking about a future where JDW get their act together here and match the standard of ale available in their UK pubs.

Question - where should I go in Dublin to get a consistently great pint of cask and what should I ask for? I've been to the Black Sheep/Against the Grain etc and quality varies from excellent to borderline undrinkable.

JDW in the UK = quality + consistency.

L mulligan grocers is very good, looks like they invested in cask

Potentially dirty pipes combined with high temperatures? Not sure, maybe some of the stuff I've been served was just past its' drink by date.

But if it was not lying in the pipes it would have to pass through the pipes anyway. And is cask not served at room temperature anyway? So the temperature of the pipes would be the same temperature of the cask?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

But if it was not lying in the pipes it would have to pass through the pipes anyway. And is cask not served at room temperature anyway? So the temperature of the pipes would be the same temperature of the cask?

Cask should really be served at 12 degrees though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Cask should really be served at 12 degrees though.

I understand that, but aren't the casks always very close to the taps?

Also you'd have to think a few seconds or minutes lying in a dirty pipe is less harmful than several hours/days

Also you'd have to think a few seconds or minutes lying in a dirty pipe is less harmful than several hours/days
    But a dirty pipe is a dirty pipe regardless of how long the beer is sitting in it.

I understand that, but aren't the casks always very close to the taps?

Nah depends on the set up, can be in the cellar sometimes or in the case of the B&C it's on the bar but there's a cooling prong in it.

irish_goat wrote: »
    in the case of the B&C it's on the bar
    Not any more. I think that line may be running down two storeys to the cellar.

• Advertisement

Not any more. I think that line may be running down two storeys to the cellar.

I'd guess then they stuck it in the cold room upstairs as there's feck all room in the cellar for more kegs. Although if it was there it would at least be in the cold room so would come out more chilled than the bartop cask ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

permission granted by ABP for wetherspoons in cork!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244072.htm

Planning permissions has been granted for JD Wetherspoons in West Dublin, Blanchardstown
    http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=FW14A/0148&theTabNo=2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

oblivious wrote: »
    Planning permissions has been granted for JD Wetherspoons in West Dublin, Blanchardstown
    http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=FW14A/0148&theTabNo=2

That's just planning permission to modify the building. It was always going to be a JDW as it was previously a bar etc.

n97 mini wrote: »
    . It was always going to be a JDW as it was previously a bar etc.

That was depending on planning , objections/ observations could have prevent the re fit and licence application

Permission for a remodelling would be granted eventually even if the first draft was refused. It already has a licence.

Cork is a different story as a large part was previously a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

n97 mini wrote: »
    Permission for a remodelling would be granted eventually even if the first draft was refused. It already has a licence.

Cork is a different story as a large part was previously a bank.

No it wasn't,part of it was a night club the other part was the Newport Bar .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've two sites planned in cork. One was a bank branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Any opening dates for the new places?

• Advertisement

Apologies, assumed the one linked to above was the former Bank of Ireland they bought in Douglas, which is also currently subject to a PP application.

Advertisement