Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This whole notion just looks like its going to poor across the board. As others have stated I can see the 'rising tide lifts all boats' mentality. This is Ireland afterall , we will and do be taken for a ride.

Im thoroughly against this notion tbh, i think its ill conceived and has a very narrow objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nope, it's a minimum price increase not a blanket price increase for all alcohol.

I know what it is.

And the indirect consequence will be that all prices will rise further. Anybody who thinks otherwise is being very naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I know what it is.

And the indirect consequence will be that all prices will rise further. Anybody who thinks otherwise is being very naive.
    All prices? That's a pretty definitive statement. Any news on the Lotto numbers?

All prices? That's a pretty definitive statement. Any news on the Lotto numbers?

Are you saying that you do not believe that prices will rise elsewhere? Because if so, please refer to my previous post.

I firmly believe this will be the case.

Why? You ask.

I've lived in ireland all my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd agree that all prices will go up. The likes of Heineken and Guinness won't want their brands sitting alongside previously cheap brands and all at €2 a can so there will likely be upward movement in the premium brands.

You may think that the minimum price rule will simply mean that cheap brands will disappear but they won't, they will be sold at a higher margin to meet the minimum pricing model and the distributors and brewers will jack up the price of the current mainstream brands to maintain the current differentials.

In wine it may simply eliminate the cheaper bottles but again, this being Ireland, the retailers may simply shove them all up by €2 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Blut2

If a minimum price is brought in does that mean retailers simply have to charge X amount per can, and the difference between the current price and X is added to their profits? Or is the difference made up in tax revenue for the state?

If its the former it seems rather wasteful, the latter isn't too bad though. I'd far rather people paid slightly more for their excessive boozing than a PAYE tax increase. I say this as someone who loves drinking - but booze is after all a self-destructive, luxury good much like cigarettes. It really should be taxed more heavily.

Blut2 wrote: »
    If a minimum price is brought in does that mean retailers simply have to charge X amount per can, and the difference between the current price and X is added to their profits? Or is the difference made up in tax revenue for the state?

If its the former it seems rather wasteful, the latter isn't too bad though. I'd far rather people paid slightly more for their excessive boozing than a PAYE tax increase. I say this as someone who loves drinking - but booze is after all a self-destructive, luxury good much like cigarettes. It really should be taxed more heavily.

A paye increase?? What the hell does this have to do with paye?

Christ sake I'd that's the logic that's being employed this crap might pass.

This is solely and nothing other than lobbying by the vintners association. They've been on FG back since pre election and with spoons coming in the don't want any more erosion. Its disgusting stuff altogether. And health reasons it is not. Majority of stats indicate our consumption is dramatically down we are middle of EU but highest priced.

Its ridiculous. And don't bring paye into it. It had nothing to do with it.

listermint wrote: »
    A paye increase?? What the hell does this have to do with paye?

Christ sake I'd that's the logic that's being employed this crap might pass.

This is solely and nothing other than lobbying by the vintners association. They've been on FG back since pre election and with spoons coming in the don't want any more erosion. Its disgusting stuff altogether. And health reasons it is not. Majority of stats indicate our consumption is dramatically down we are middle of EU but highest priced.

Its ridiculous. And don't bring paye into it. It had nothing to do with it.

Slightly OT, but higher sumptuary taxes (ie on cigarettes or alcohol) = more revenue for the state = reduced need for PAYE tax. Something most people would agree is preferable - let those who choose to destroy themselves with drugs pay a premium for the burden they'll place on the health and social services, instead of taxing people on their employment. (again, not coming from a moral highground here - I drink heavily at least once a week).

But I would be curious as to the answer to my previous question, as to where the extra revenue will go from a minimum unit pricing..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I know what it is.

Did ALL wage rates rise when the min wage was introduced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No change in excise duties.

Extra revenue to manufacturers / wholesaler / retailers.

Higher prices means a bit more VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Geuze wrote: »
    No change in excise duties.

Extra revenue to manufacturers / wholesaler / retailers.

Higher prices means a bit more VAT.

they should change the excise to match the minimum price, at least that way the extra money people are paying is going into the government's coffers rather than padding the profits of Tesco.

Anyway drink prices have been dropping for the last 20 years, and drink consumption has also been dropping - clearly what they need to do is reduce prices even further. Logically if booze was free, no-one would drink :pac:

Geuze wrote: »
    Did ALL wage rates rise when the min wage was introduced?

I'm sure you think this is smart but in reality a minimum wage is in no way equivalent to a minimum selling price of alcohol.

Again, do you really think that the pubs/brewers will not react to this new measure with an increase in all of their prices? Because again, that is a hopelessly naive opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

10351810_10153070049603151_6385379765362384433_n.jpg?oh=9b57d27d0f3bb4c04099d52aa437c735&oe=55550814&__gda__=1431187202_d030e34361faec260d4eac1457ea0b9f

Bit disappointing it's British hops only but ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It says up to 50 ales from the UK and around the world ?

Just a note:

Please use this thread for all Minimum Pricing discussions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

loyatemu wrote: »
    they should change the excise to match the minimum price, at least that way the extra money people are paying is going into the government's coffers rather than padding the profits of Tesco.

But then all drinks will go up in price, not just the cheap ones.

Edit: Oops, sorry Baz.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Bit disappointing it's British hops only but ah well.
    Given the mess the contracted British brewers usually make of new world recipes for Wetherspoon festivals I'm kinda glad they're doing it this way.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It says up to 50 ales from the UK and around the world ?

Normally that means they import brewers from around the world who brew their own recipes in a UK brewery, and assumingly the rule is they have to use British hops.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Normally that means they import brewers from around the world who brew their own recipes in a UK brewery, and assumingly the rule is they have to use British hops.

Yep. I'm one of ten brewers heading to the UK next week to brew. FWIW I'm doing a stout.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Given the mess the contracted British brewers usually make of new world recipes for Wetherspoon festivals I'm kinda glad they're doing it this way.

True but a lot of the English breweries are doing great things with the new world hops in traditional styles.

noby wrote: »
    Yep. I'm one of ten brewers heading to the UK next week to brew. FWIW I'm doing a stout.
    Adnams? Please say Adnams.

Not this time. Wadworths.

Well at least it's not Caledonian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well at least it's not Caledonian.

Although a butterscotch stout might be Interesting ;)

oblivious wrote: »
    Although a butterscotch stout might be Interesting ;)
    JDW already has one on keg. It's called Bath Ales Dark Side.

Slight bump, but I find this is generally the best thread on Boards relating to Wetherspoons so I figure I'll ask here -

Has anyone been in TTT on a Friday evening in the last month or two? I was there quite a few times last summer / autumn and although it was busy, you'd usually find room to stand (and eventually sit). And a grand crowd. A friend is trying to get us to go tomorrow night but I've heard tales recently of Friday nights there being full of underage kids, being literally so full the bouncers stop letting people in. Has anyone any recent experience of it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Slight bump, but I find this is generally the best thread on Boards relating to Wetherspoons so I figure I'll ask here -

Has anyone been in TTT on a Friday evening in the last month or two? I was there quite a few times last summer / autumn and although it was busy, you'd usually find room to stand (and eventually sit). And a grand crowd. A friend is trying to get us to go tomorrow night but I've heard tales recently of Friday nights there being full of underage kids, being literally so full the bouncers stop letting people in. Has anyone any recent experience of it?

Very much doubt they serve underage kids,its illegal, they are a proper business.

Could you imagine the field day the press (and the Vintners Association) would have if Spoons were serving under age kids!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, no doubt they've already sent in a few sneaky minors to see if they'd get ID'd and served.

Advertisement