Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mynamehere wrote: »
    Surely thats below cost selling.
    I would guess it is, and so what? Probably one of the really rare cases of legitimate below cost selling of alcohol in this country.

I think this was to celebrate the rugby win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Mynamehere wrote: »
    Surely thats below cost selling.

How much do Wetherpsoons pay for kegs of those two beers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

possibly wasn't selling and being cask they need to sell it or dump it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was at a wetherspoons in Liverpool a few weeks ago that had a pint available for £1.25. If they're able to sell that on a normal day at a profit then it's possible that this is being sold at a small profit or cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

i got pints of cask 1.25 euro in Dun Laoghaire, managers specials, gotta watch out for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    How much do Wetherpsoons pay for kegs of those two beers?

We will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

Theres a wetherspoons opening beside me in Blanch soon the redevelopment of it has been going on the last 2-3 weeks expect it to be open soon enough, is it true they don't have TVs in their pubs?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Slim1996 wrote: »
    Theres a wetherspoons opening beside me in Blanch soon the redevelopment of it has been going on the last 2-3 weeks expect it to be open soon enough, is it true they don't have TVs in their pubs?

I was at one in the UK recently that had TVs. They just had free to air stations though so no Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

I was at one in the UK recently that had TVs. They just had free to air stations though so no Sky.

Some are part of the JDW offshoot known as "Lloyds No 1" which have TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Slim1996 wrote: »

Used to go to the one in Edinburgh for the football (on sky) they had a huge drop down screen whereas the one in Kingston had no TVs I don't think. May depend on the location. If they can fill the place without they probably wont have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Most Wetherspoons have TVs they just tend not to show much on them. In Derry they tend to have the news on but they are showing the 6 Nations this year and the odd time would put on any FA cup matches that are on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

The one in Blackrock has a TV but they don't seem to have any sky sports.

SteM wrote: »
    The one in Blackrock has a TV but they don't seem to have any sky sports.

Nah, it'll only ever be Sky/BBC News or terrestrial sports.

Just seeing that my local spoons has set up a temporary cask bar for the festival. :)

11042959_797825716959977_482888435461575232_n.jpg?oh=df80d8ccd922ea87c692a39809a2be50&oe=557BED21&__gda__=1434367839_df96cf5d2dc94955cb8d804d07ead411

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Are the Dublin spoons doing anything interesting for the festival ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Are the Dublin spoons doing anything interesting for the festival ?

Three tuns will be hosting it, but what beers I do not know yet. There is a dungarvan collaboration which would be nice to see over here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm sure the Forty Foot will have festival specials too. In October the TTT had four or five on at a time.

The Devils Backbone/Banks's wheat black IPA with pepper looks really interesting. Full programme here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Devils Backbone/Banks's wheat black IPA with pepper looks really interesting. Full programme here.

The Titanic Wit Stout also sounds intriguing. Hopefully a decent amount will filter over to Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ravelleman wrote: »
    The Titanic Wit Stout also sounds intriguing. Hopefully a decent amount will filter over to Ireland again.

Hope it doesn't sink on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Hope it doesn't sink on the way.

Too soon man, too soon.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

irish_goat wrote: »
    Just seeing that my local spoons has set up a temporary cask bar for the festival. :)

11042959_797825716959977_482888435461575232_n.jpg?oh=df80d8ccd922ea87c692a39809a2be50&oe=557BED21&__gda__=1434367839_df96cf5d2dc94955cb8d804d07ead411

Gotta love Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm sure the Forty Foot will have festival specials too. In October the TTT had four or five on at a time.

Pity they've no Dublin city centre locations yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

My local one which is Twickenham has got loads of TVs and has Sky sports.

Think its one of there posh ones as its very nice inside. Beer is half the price compared to the bar next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

donaghs wrote: »
    Pity they've no Dublin city centre locations yet
    I just noticed that WS is opening up on Camden St.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Six pubs named on website:

www.jdwetherspoon.ie

Two open (Blackrock and DL, South Dublin), four to open yet.

I've just seen on Twitter that the Swords JDWS is to open on 21st July 2015.

https://twitter.com/forty_foot

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

anyone have any idea when they are coming to Cork ffs. im gasping:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Interesting to see the statement from Wetherspoons in their results last week saying that prices in their Irish bars are currently uneconomic and price rises of about 10% will be introduced.

Whilst they will still offer value, it does show that the prices they charge, even with their massive buying power are not enough to cover their costs and their predatory pricing will close some decent bars as has happened elsewhere and before you know it, their prices will be going up further.

In the UK, where they have got rid of local competition, they would not be regarded as "cheap".

delahuntv wrote: »
    In the UK, where they have got rid of local competition, they would not be regarded as "cheap".

Not in Derry. They've dropped the prices of Punk IPA to £1.99 now. A whole 20p more expensive than the warm bottles sitting on the shelf next door in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

delahuntv wrote: »
    Interesting to see the statement from Wetherspoons in their results last week saying that prices in their Irish bars are currently uneconomic and price rises of about 10% will be introduced.

Whilst they will still offer value, it does show that the prices they charge, even with their massive buying power are not enough to cover their costs and their predatory pricing will close some decent bars as has happened elsewhere and before you know it, their prices will be going up further.

what a lot of codswallop!

They co-exist in most UK towns with popular bars and gastro pubs.
    They have a standard pricing scale , mere pennies between them.
    They arent in the business of closing places down , rather of taking old buildings and referring to their history when refurbishing them and creating employment!

Advertisement