Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

My experience of it is, the kids get in with there mates/siblings ID, the place gets jammers, then the manager goes around doing spot checks and kicks a load of them out. I've seen this twice or three times in TTT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It certainly seemed to have a lot of awfully young people there the night I was there over Christmas.
    However, I'm nearly 40 so those same "kids" were probably wondering what an over-the-hill old fart like me was doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

Sorry guys - I didnt meant to imply Wetherspoons were illegally serving kids regularly. Badly phrased. More-so just an in or around 18 year old crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

My experience of it is, the kids get in with there mates/siblings ID, the place gets jammers, then the manager goes around doing spot checks and kicks a load of them out. I've seen this twice or three times in TTT

Unlikely if the door staff are doing their job.

Unlikely if the door staff are doing their job.

As I said, I saw this with my own eyes. Some of the weekend door staff aren't the best.

• Advertisement

As I said, I saw this with my own eyes. Some of the weekend door staff aren't the best.

You saw underage kids drinking in Spoons, but the door staff and other staff never noticed them ?

I have been in about 50 spoons, I have never once seen this.

They are so strict, they will not even sell you a beer to take out.

This is how strict spoons is :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-506024/Pub-chain-tells-customers-children-You-TWO-drinks-leave.html

Pub chain tells customers with children: 'You can only have TWO drinks, then you have to leave'

Eddie Gershon, spokesman for JD Wetherspoon, said today: "We are not in any way a children's pub with an activity centre. It is not a wonderful day out for children spending hours in the pub.
    "Once they have finished the meal with the child, we would expect them to leave soon after. We are comfortable with children coming into the pub as it is commercially viable.
    "We would let an adult order an alcoholic drink with a meal and another drink after that but we don't want children there bored while adults drink. Coffee is more welcome than ordering alcohol but not ordering three or four coffees.
    "We are not uncomfortable with children being on the premises. We would not want a situation where the child is there for two or three hours."

I saw underage kids drinking in TTT, I then saw the manager removing them from the premises when they could not produce ID or produced ID's that did not belong to them. I was standing about 5 feet away last time it happened. I'm well aware how strict spoons are in the UK. I'm talking about spoons in Ireland, and I'm talking about what I saw. I quite like the place, but the staff are quite badly trained, both bar and door staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Can't speak for TTT but went to 40ft once over the Christmas holidays some time back and the bouncer at the door asked all of us for ID (we're all 26/27). We were pretty surprised and he said that management had told them to be very strict and that they might ask at the bar as well (they didn't but we were all clearly over 18).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I saw underage kids drinking in TTT, I then saw the manager removing them from the premises when they could not produce ID or produced ID's that did not belong to them. I was standing about 5 feet away last time it happened. I'm well aware how strict spoons are in the UK. I'm talking about spoons in Ireland, and I'm talking about what I saw. I quite like the place, but the staff are quite badly trained, both bar and door staff.
    Sounds like a pretty decent policy to me - eject them once you find them breaking regulations on the premises. Many pubs wouldn't be as bothered. Used to often bring my son to a pub to watch a football match before he was of drinking age and would have been frustrating had he not been allowed access (despite drinking only soft drinks). 3TT doesn't often have door staff working, so that they have an active policy of policing underage drinking on the premises s a positive note.

Sounds like a pretty decent policy to me - eject them once you find them breaking regulations on the premises. Many pubs wouldn't be as bothered. Used to often bring my son to a pub to watch a football match before he was of drinking age and would have been frustrating had he not been allowed access (despite drinking only soft drinks). 3TT doesn't often have door staff working, so that they have an active policy of policing underage drinking on the premises s a positive note.

A good few of them were served alcohol, they shouldn't have been. But the manager handled it quite well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭squonk

This is how strict spoons is :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-506024/Pub-chain-tells-customers-children-You-TWO-drinks-leave.html

Pub chain tells customers with children: 'You can only have TWO drinks, then you have to leave'

Eddie Gershon, spokesman for JD Wetherspoon, said today: "We are not in any way a children's pub with an activity centre. It is not a wonderful day out for children spending hours in the pub.
    "Once they have finished the meal with the child, we would expect them to leave soon after. We are comfortable with children coming into the pub as it is commercially viable.
    "We would let an adult order an alcoholic drink with a meal and another drink after that but we don't want children there bored while adults drink. Coffee is more welcome than ordering alcohol but not ordering three or four coffees.
    "We are not uncomfortable with children being on the premises. We would not want a situation where the child is there for two or three hours."

Well bully for them. I personally think the same in that kids shouldn't be banned from pubs but, as a parent, dumping your kids at the pub to run amok while you while away the afternoon getting sloshed isn't on. Sadly some of our vintners federation friends don't seem to care but it's nice to see a chain who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Just ordering a main course and a coffee in the Forty Foot could have you there for 2 or 3 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

The TTT has definitely had an issue with underage drinkers. I've witnessed it on several occasions. On one of those occasions I was drinking with an off duty bouncer. He was horrified by the ineptitude of the door staff that night. The head barman eventually had to come out and deal with the situation. It was messy for a while.

I imagine it's part of the teething problems with a new place serving cheap sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Maynard wrote: »
    I imagine it's part of the teething problems with a new place serving cheap sauce.

Or another illustration of what happens when you pay low wages - obviously the quality of the door staff is in the same league as the inexperienced and inept bar staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

W will do for pubs what Aldi and Lidl did to supermarkets industry.

Roll on the competition, its well time to shake things up.

Oh the staff are not so good etc .... Give them time to get themselves organised.

A friend and his wife + 2 teenage kids ate and drank at W 40ft for 35 euro. Excellent value and def Recomends.

Welcome W, we missed you in the boom, better late than never, in fact just in time really

coylemj wrote: »
    Or another illustration of what happens when you pay low wages - obviously the quality of the door staff is in the same league as the inexperienced and inept bar staff.

Blame the state for the quality of door staff in the republic.

There is no national standard or qualification.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Why do you assume Wetherspoons pay any less than a regular pub i.e. minimum wage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

irish_goat wrote: »
    Why do you assume Wetherspoons pay any less than a regular pub i.e. minimum wage?

I might be wrong but I thought that most ´good pubs´in Ireland paid bar and door staff above the minimum wage (10 per hour plus).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I might be wrong but I thought that most ´good pubs´in Ireland paid bar and door staff above the minimum wage (10 per hour plus).

Anyone on a salary might be on a bit extra but the majority of young bar staff would be on minimum wage or just over it. Not sure about door staff, normally that's contracted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

worded wrote: »
    W will do for pubs what Aldi and Lidl did to supermarkets industry.

Totally agree but unlike Aldi/Lidl Spoons should also offer beer(not food) of superior quality to anything available here at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chelon wrote: »
    should also offer beer(not food) of superior quality to anything available here at the moment.
    It really hasn't been doing much of a job on that front so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

irish_goat wrote: »
    Anyone on a salary might be on a bit extra but the majority of young bar staff would be on minimum wage or just over it. Not sure about door staff, normally that's contracted out.

I accept that young and inexperienced staff will start on low wages and hopefully will pick up the skills necessary to become good at the job. My problem is that going into a brand new pub that has had millions spent on it, you don't expect to meet the level of incompetence that I have seen in the TTT among all of the staff, both young and old.

Clearly they are paying well below the industry average, otherwise as a chain with plenty of opportunities for promotion as they expand here, you would expect that plenty of experienced bar staff would be eager to get in on day one and hope to become a manager in a few years. Nobody I have seen serving in the TTT is competent to run an ice cream machine in your local Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I read a lot of bad press about the staff at TTT. I've been there 4 times and never had any problems with them at all apart from maybe lacking a bit of knowledge about their beers. Not the worst offence to be honest.
    I'm happy enough pointing at the tap if confusion arises and then they serve it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I accept that young and inexperienced staff will start on low wages and hopefully will pick up the skills necessary to become good at the job. My problem is that going into a brand new pub that has had millions spent on it, you don't expect to meet the level of incompetence that I have seen in the TTT among all of the staff, both young and old.

Clearly they are paying well below the industry average, otherwise as a chain with plenty of opportunities for promotion as they expand here, you would expect that plenty of experienced bar staff would be eager to get in on day one and hope to become a manager in a few years. Nobody I have seen serving in the TTT is competent to run an ice cream machine in your local Spar.

They have an ice-cream machine in Spar now?!!! What the hell are we doing here talking about beer? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

The service is really terrible, loads of taps empty, staff chatting with their friends, expect to be ignored by staff if there are any females at the bar, any female staff will have their time wasted by guys trying to "flirt" so they aren't much help either.

It's a really nice building, pity you cant take drinks outside, but I can imagine how much of a clusterfu** that would be with the clientele. I don't think I'd ever go there on a weekend due to the sheer number of idiots, but definitely would during the week if they had nice new beers like lagunitas(2.50 a bottle).

Also, if you're over 21 the mental age of 15 you are going to feel rather old there

Does anybody know why the upstairs terrace is still closed in the forty foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

BeerNut wrote: »
    It really hasn't been doing much of a job on that front so far.

I know; that's why I said "should" :)

Hopefully in time....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

A big time consumer when ordering pints at the 40ft seems to be the pay up front system. no pints poured until payed for is the rule.

This means no double or triple orders being filled by any one barman at any time.

Rule is when someone wants something, go to the till, enter on puter, take money, give change, fill order.

Mech1 wrote: »
    A big time consumer when ordering pints at the 40ft seems to be the pay up front system. no pints poured until payed for is the rule.

This means no double or triple orders being filled by any one barman at any time.

Rule is when someone wants something, go to the till, enter on puter, take money, give change, fill order.

I haven't experienced that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A really big time consumer is not having the beers that are listed on their various menus / taps. You sit down at an available table with your friends, figure out what they want and head to the bar. Give the barman the order, he gives one of the taps a little pull, shales his head and then you scurry back to the table to find out what alternative drink someone will consider (which also becomes a candidate for the 'beer/roulette wheel of fortune'. Meanwhile, the bar-person will wait patiently for your return, not serving any other punters and not establishing which of the other ordered drinks may not be available. Safer to bundle up all your friends and bring them up to the bar with you. That's why the beer is so cheap - it has to be; otherwise we might not return. We're willing to take a little hospitality hit in exchange for value for money.

Advertisement