Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

irish_goat wrote: »
    They do free refills until 2pm as well. There's a "family area" in one of the Wetherspoons in Derry and it's really bizarre as it's filled with older ones all drinking coffee and the off pint for several hours during the day time. Feels like you're sitting in someone's living room but it's good craic all the same.

I like the fact the guy who owns Wetherspoons and started it in 1979 with one pub in North London, still drinks and eats with the punters and listens to feedback and drives an old Volvo, no pretentiousness, even though he's worth £ 750 million. Runs the business very hands on.

Very clever business model. Same principal as Aldi, Lidel etc.

Example in my local, buy a coffee £1 and get a shot for 99p.

The profit margin on coffee is nearly 100%, on a 1 litre bottle of spirits there are 40, 0.25ml shots in a bottle...so a huge profit margin. That's £40 on a bottle that they buy whole sale for about a fiver.

Yet to the punter still very cheap and much cheaper then rivals. So punters come back for more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's £40 on a bottle that they buy whole sale for about a fiver.

UK duty environment is not THAT much nicer to work in.

Litre of 37.5% spirits has £12.70 of duty and VAT on it, so they are not buying it wholesale for a fiver. I'd suspect a smaller pub may often find it cheaper to buy in bulk when supermarkets do their loss-leader 1L for £15 deals!

L1011 wrote: »
    UK duty environment is not THAT much nicer to work in.

Litre of 37.5% spirits has £12.70 of duty and VAT on it, so they are not buying it wholesale for a fiver. I'd suspect a smaller pub may often find it cheaper to buy in bulk when supermarkets do their loss-leader 1L for £15 deals!

I can buy the Aldi version of Baileys for £6 and Vodka for £7, whiskey £9. Vat included.

Wetherspoons are buying tens of thousands of bottles. Without doubt they are buying stock at a rock bottom price.

Expensive pubs make hundreds of pounds/Euros on one bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Those January sale prices are great, you'd struggle to get a can of stout for that price in an off licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Loire wrote: »
    If they have those prices next year, when the Cork one will have opened, I'll take my Xmas hols in Jan and just head to the pub!!
    at those prices i'll join you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I like the fact the guy who owns Wetherspoons and started it in 1979 with one pub in North London, still drinks and eats with the punters and listens to feedback and drives an old Volvo, no pretentiousness, even though he's worth £ 750 million. Runs the business very hands on.

And luscious locks too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can buy the Aldi version of Baileys for £6 and Vodka for £7, whiskey £9. Vat included.

Wetherspoons are buying tens of thousands of bottles. Without doubt they are buying stock at a rock bottom price.

Expensive pubs make hundreds of pounds/Euros on one bottle.

Baileys is ~15%. Vodka and Whiskey will be 700cl (so 8.90 of tax).

Aldi vodka is £9.90 and whiskey £10.39 - your prices are clearly very outdated: https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/drinks/spirits/

Wholesalers do not sell below cost to pubs - the pub is not paying a fiver for a bottle. A small pub, like your 99p a shot local, will likely be paying more than Aldis retail price due to lack of volume, a chain like Wetherspoons will be paying very little less than a chain like Aldi

Baileys is ~15%. Vodka and Whiskey will be 700cl (so 8.90 of tax).

Aldi vodka is £9.90 and whiskey £10.39 - your prices are clearly very outdated: https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/drinks/spirits/

Wholesalers do not sell below cost to pubs - the pub is not paying a fiver for a bottle. A small pub, like your 99p a shot local, will likely be paying more than Aldis retail price due to lack of volume, a chain like Wetherspoons will be paying very little less than a chain like Aldi

The Aldi version of Baileys is now £4.29 ! And its not bad.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/drinks/spirits/spirits-product-detail/ps/p/ballycastle-irish-cream-liqueur/

Its 14.5% (going on zooming on the label) so the duty is much, much lower - £3.44.

Do you now realise that your local is not paying £5 for a litre of 37.5% spirits?

Its 14.5% (going on zooming on the label) so the duty is much, much lower - £3.44.

Do you now realise that your local is not paying £5 for a litre of 37.5% spirits?

Even after adding VAT, the profit margin of expensive pubs is vast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

VAT will be added to the price the consumer will pay, ulitmity the consumer pays all the VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Forget about Wetherspoons, when is PoundPub coming to Ireland?!

oblivious wrote: »
    VAT will be added to the price the consumer will pay, ulitmity the consumer pays all the VAT

obviously.

BaZmO* wrote: »

They must be buying it for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

They must be buying it for nothing.

Do they even have taps and staff, or do they have something like a petrol pump, from which you pour it yourself?!

Holy hell, £1.50 a pint!?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BaZmO* wrote: »

I'd imagine Mary Mitchell O'Connor's head would explode if they opened a branch in her constituency :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

obviously.

The the profit margin is independent of the vat rate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'd imagine Mary Mitchell O'Connor's head would explode if they opened a branch in her constituency :D

Add in a William Hill, a Greggs, and a methadone clinic, just to twist the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Do they even have taps and staff, or do they have something like a petrol pump, from which you pour it yourself?!

I like it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Holy hell, £1.50 a pint!?

the wetherspoons pints on offer at E1.95 at the moment work out at £1.52... Id say given the cost of living difference, the price here is relatively quite a bit cheaper...

• Advertisement

I know. But I wasn't saying anything to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

They just sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant. Right inbetween UCC and CIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Anyone hear these rumours that they sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant? You know, right inbetween UCC and CIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Anyone hear these rumours that they sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant? You know, right inbetween UCC and CIT?
    That's the first I've heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I might've heard it in two or three places, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

They just sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant. Right inbetween UCC and CIT.

just once would have been enough for this good news!
    I like it, could see myself availing of there good value on a regular basis...

Any idea on when it expects to be open there?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I heard they got such a good deal that they signed several leases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Jeez, don't ask him any questions. God only knows how many times he'll post the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

just once would have been enough for this good news!
    I like it, could see myself availing of there good value on a regular basis...

They were putting in equipment this morning and doing bits and pieces around it. I'm surprised if there opening soon as I haven't seen any licence application in the area.

Regarding the multiple posts, I find if I post on my phone and then click back it reposts and if I do it a few times it stops. I don't have this problem however with my laptop. Anybody else have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They were putting in equipment this morning and doing bits and pieces around it. I'm surprised if there opening soon as I haven't seen any licence application in the area.

Regarding the multiple posts, I find if I post on my phone and then click back it reposts and if I do it a few times it stops. I don't have this problem however with my laptop. Anybody else have this problem?
    Happens me all the time on my phone - very annoying.
    (and there is no other straight forward way back to the main forum)

Advertisement